• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

max_505

Finished chapter 1 in Cold Steel. I'm suprised they catch on quicker than I expected.

That beep in the school theme is driving me nuts tho. First theme I turned down the music.

I thought I was the only one who got irritated by that. I kept thinking it was my Macbook or something.

Oreiller

I'd imagine it is fairly common for folks to drop in when they start playing the series, but I wanted to share that I started Trails FC on PSP, and so far, so good. I got the PC trilogy on sale at GOG, but I decided that the portable nature is my preference for now.

The music is quite enjoyable, so much so that I'm listening to it at work. I'm curious to see where the story goes. It was a bit slow to start, but I feel like I'm reaching the end of the Prologue (doing the Mayor's fetch quest).

I feel like I may be falling down the Trails and Falcom rabbit hole.
Hehe, you haven't seen anything yet. TitS FC only gets better the further you get.

Jolkien

Quick translation question, SC and the 3rd spoilers
What is the meaning behind the Salt Pale ? English is not my first language but a quick Google don't let me find any definition that could fit. And is it pronounced like '' oh you look pale you could be sick'' or another way ?

Psxphile

Finished chapter 1 in Cold Steel. I'm suprised they catch on quicker than I expected.

That beep in the school theme is driving me nuts tho. First theme I turned down the music.

I thought I was the only one who got irritated by that. I kept thinking it was my Macbook or something.
Is this like that ringtone sound that only certain people can hear, or...?

What is the meaning behind the Salt Pale ? English is not my first language but a quick Google don't let me find any definition that could fit. And is it pronounced like '' oh you look pale you could be sick'' or another way ?

I believe this was actually explained in an Xseed blog post weeks before The 3rd was released, when they (I want to say Hatsuu since it's her baby) announced Zane's name reverting back to Zin. We originally knew it as the "Pillar of Salt". I just don't recall the reason why they went with Pale instead but I seem to recall it was explained soundly enough. Trails of Localization, am I right?

a stake or picket, as of a fence.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine it is fairly common for folks to drop in when they start playing the series, but I wanted to share that I started Trails FC on PSP, and so far, so good. I got the PC trilogy on sale at GOG, but I decided that the portable nature is my preference for now.

The music is quite enjoyable, so much so that I'm listening to it at work. I'm curious to see where the story goes. It was a bit slow to start, but I feel like I'm reaching the end of the Prologue (doing the Mayor's fetch quest).

I feel like I may be falling down the Trails and Falcom rabbit hole.

FC is great if it clicks with you. Really didn't for me until the second playthrough. Can't compare to 3rd yet but I feel like the storytelling is stronger than SC.

Only problem with playing the PSP version is the translation is out of date. XSEED has made a lot of terminology adjustments since FC came out on PSP, and it hasn't been updated like the PC version. Nothing you won't be able to figure out though.

Maybe one of these days someone will make a patch to update it. I don't have any idea where to start with something like that though.

Thud

Is this like that ringtone sound that only certain people can hear, or...?

I believe this was actually explained in an Xseed blog post weeks before The 3rd was released, when they (I want to say Hatsuu since it's her baby) announced Zane's name reverting back to Zin. We originally knew it as the "Pillar of Salt". I just don't recall the reason why they went with Pale instead but I seem to recall it was explained soundly enough. Trails of Localization, am I right?

I cleaned my ears and tried again, but it's still there and it's just that track. A shame because the theme is pretty good, Falcom doing Persona school theme heh.

As for the salt pale. I think pillar might undersell its size and shape, but I like the sound of pillar of salt better myself. Zane to Zin took a bit getting used to.

FC is great if it clicks with you. Really didn't for me until the second playthrough. Can't compare to 3rd yet but I feel like the storytelling is stronger than SC.

Only problem with playing the PSP version is the translation is out of date. XSEED has made a lot of terminology adjustments since FC came out on PSP, and it hasn't been updated like the PC version. Nothing you won't be able to figure out though.

Maybe one of these days someone will make a patch to update it. I don't have any idea where to start with something like that though.

That's good to know about the terminology adjustments. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll switch over to the PC version then.

Psxphile

Oh, that background chime. Eh, never even noticed it until now.

oh god i'm not going to be able to unhear it now what have you done

zakujanai

I read this and still played the link, had exactly the same reaction. How have I never noticed that? Not sure I can ever play Cold Steel again now.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That chime annoyed the shit out of me too! I kept thinking there was some notification I was missing.

You know, about cs1:

Am I the only one who thinks the name Vita was a meaningful in a meta context? Naming the main villain Vita, after the system that forces them to cut lots of stuff from the game, so Vita is the big bad in a mega context as well as an in game one?
.... Are you serious with this? And people wonder why Vita cultists get made fun of...

javadoze

Heard countless good things about these games. So I finally took the plunge with the recent Humble sale for TitS FC & SC.

Any tips I need to keep in mind?

Oreiller

Heard countless good things about these games. So I finally took the plunge with the recent Humble sale for TitS FC & SC.

-FC is a slow game that starts super low-key and that really takes its time to escalate stakes. It's not a bad thing but it has to be kept in mind.
-Do side quests as soon as possible. They can get canceled after some story beats.
-Every NPC's dialogue changes after most story beat, and most of them have their own story. It's worth it to talk to them each time if you're interested, but it's not mandatory.
-Hard mode only makes the games more tedious in my opinion, so I'd play them on normal.
-The quartz system is pretty complex but there is a memo in the ingame notebook that explains it quite nicely.

Nyoro SF

Make sure to relax and enjoy the story, and to take the time to listen to what everyone in the world has to say.

Oh, and speed quartz are good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

All the above are good advice. Especially the tips to take your time and don't try and rush it, the payoff the games provide is only possible with the slow build up. Keep in mind that even though a lot of the earlier stuff feels inconsequential, nearly all of it ends up coming into play later.

Thoraxes

It's called a triangle.
Unless they're talking about the electric keyboard stuff?

Either way, nothing in it is weird lol

The Wart

I second this. I started on Hard and got wrecked in the first non-tutorial battle, so I restarted on Normal.

I disagree; if you get bored with jrpgs that devolve into mindlessly spamming a handful of moves over and over again, then hard is worth trying. Granted I'm only in the 1st chapter, but so far hard mode just means I actually have to pay attention to my equipment and use consumables in battle once in a while. Battles may take longer, but you can compensate with speedhack.

If you just want a relaxing experience or don't plan on doing many sidequests, though, then normal is probably a better choice.

Squire

Banned
Anyone have the Kiseki art books from Udon? Are they good? They say they cover Zero/Ao in addition to Sky, so I'm guessing they're full of spoilers.

They're full of spoilers...badly translated ones, too. We also got Zin's fighting style translated as "Clam Dip Flow", among other errors and bad editing. I'd recommend getting the Ys book, but not their Legend of Heroes publications.

Gu4n

Anyone have the Kiseki art books from Udon? Are they good? They say they cover Zero/Ao in addition to Sky, so I'm guessing they're full of spoilers.
I wouldn't recommend the Characters book, but the Illustrations book is okay if you can look past stuff like 'Trails of Blue'.

PK Gaming

I read this and still played the link, had exactly the same reaction. How have I never noticed that? Not sure I can ever play Cold Steel again now.

That chime annoyed the shit out of me too! I kept thinking there was some notification I was missing.

.... Are you serious with this? And people wonder why Vita cultists get made fun of...

https://youtu.be/SCvgFmXYz18

School music, its Very audible in the beginning but after you have to really pay attention to hear (or im old)

I can't unhear it either

It was one of my favorite songs too...

ydJhpOS.png

Left my Vita sitting for too long and it died, so I had to redo Kazakh Doven. Still a doozy but I realized I hardly have any full party buff skills, so I'm definitely gonna go about rectifying that next chapter.

I can't unhear it either

It was one of my favorite songs too...

ydJhpOS.png

I'm still not sure what you guys are talking about here. I mean I guess my ears are sharper than yours because I noticed that from the beginning.

Finished chapter 3 of Cold Steel. Why do characters that know each other have to reveal their full name?

Do you mean the name tag thing, or-
Oh wait, do you mean
Osborne and Machias' dad greeting each other?

Yeah, that was weird.

Somewhat off topic, but has the news about the Russia Investigation and Special Council Bob Mueller made anyone else think about Trails?
31-9.png

jonjonaug

Somewhat off topic, but has the news about the Russia Investigation and Special Council Bob Mueller made anyone else think about Trails?
31-9.png

I mean...

Dunan is a fat, arrogant man who was born into wealth, causes trouble for everyone around him constantly due to his poor personality, has to be constantly attended to in order to make sure he doesn't cause an international incident, makes shady real estate deals, has an inflated sense of his own talents, and is being taken advantage of by people who see him as useful where he is.

Squire

Banned
I mean...

Dunan is a fat, arrogant man who was born into wealth, causes trouble for everyone around him constantly due to his poor personality, has to be constantly attended to in order to make sure he doesn't cause an international incident, makes shady real estate deals, has an inflated sense of his own talents, and is being taken advantage of by people who see him as useful where he is.

But has he ever
made a pass at Klaudia
?

Jonnax

It's been a while since I played SC. But what caused Dunan to change so much in the scenes with him in 3rd?

Man seems to have got his heart changed by the Phantom Thieves with how reasonable and normal he seems.

It's been a while since I played SC. But what caused Dunan to change so much in the scenes with him in 3rd?

Man seems to have got his heart changed by the Phantom Thieves with how reasonable and normal he seems.

[Sky FC & SC]
The Richard coup was a wake up call, then he spend the majority of SC pouting and reflecting before deciding to pull it together during the Ouroboros attack on the capital.

vkrili

In SC,
after he's taken hostage by Amalthea, he decides "fuck this shit" and starts putting in effort, and then when you return back to Grancel in Chapter 8 you can actually see him working in the castle, and then when Ouroboros attacks he "helps" Phillip protect the Queen and Kloe.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I mean...

Hahaha shit

The Wart

Been playing through TitS 1 for the first time. Only just finished chapter 1, but man, this game really is the quintessential JRPG done right. I was wondering if I just didn't like JRPGs anymore after bouncing hard off Dragon Quest IX and barely making it through SMTIV, but I'm really digging this game.

Characters are based on JRPG archetypes, but have nuances and dimensions and most importantly, don't act like goddamn morons just to make drama; there's some cheesy "bonds of friendship" stuff but those bonds are actually shown and not just hamfistedly asserted; combat (on hard) isn't super deep but so far isn't totally rote, provides some tension, rewards experimentation, and, with the blessings of cheat engine, doesn't take too long; immediate battle retry and ample autosaves minimize frustration.

But without cheat engine, my god, those animations would be sooooooo loooooooong. Who thought that was a good idea?

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I mean...

So what you're telling me is that (SC/3rd spoilers)
there's actually some hope for Donald Trump?

Been playing through TitS 1 for the first time. Only just finished chapter 1, but man, this game really is the quintessential JRPG done right. I was wondering if I just didn't like JRPGs anymore after bouncing hard off Dragon Quest IX and barely making it through SMTIV, but I'm really digging this game.

Characters are based on JRPG archetypes, but have nuances and dimensions and most importantly, don't act like goddamn morons just to make drama; there's some cheesy "bonds of friendship" stuff but those bonds are actually shown and not just hamfistedly asserted; combat (on hard) isn't super deep but so far isn't totally rote, provides some tension, rewards experimentation, and, with the blessings of cheat engine, doesn't take too long; immediate battle retry and ample autosaves minimize frustration.

But without cheat engine, my god, those animations would be sooooooo loooooooong. Who thought that was a good idea?

Yes!

Buckle up, though. It GOES PLACES MAN from here on out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
With all the people using cheat engine for the speed hack, I legitimately wonder if an official implementation would improve reception of the game and get more people to stick with it.

PK Gaming

Kiseki protagonists: We've got you cornered now, Mr. Bad Guy, Member of Ouroboros!
Mr. Bad Guy: Oh really? (snaps finger).
A hidden wall gives way, and a giant monster appears
Mr. Bad Guy: Let's see if you can handle this!
Kiseki protagonists: WOAH, that thing's huge! Guess we'd better take it down!
(after the fight is over)
Kiseki protagonists: Alright we beat it... You're going down Mr. Bad Guy, Member of Ouroboros!
Mr. Bad Guy: Sadly I must be going now, but this was a fun little diversion. Ta-ta!
Kiseki protagonists: Darn, he got away!

OR

Mr. Bad Guy: That was fun, but allow me to show you my true power.
(the party is immediately incapacitated)
Kiseki protagonists: Darn, he was too strong AND got away!

---

Kiseki games sure like that set up, huh

Top Bottom