• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Jiraiza

I can see already Sen III main complaint. All of the fans would want to play with the Class VII and see their story but instead it will be mostly about the new shitty kids.

In it for the Randy and Tio. And Jusis. And a lot of other characters.

I really hope they make a ton of mandatory parties. The stress from having to pick characters for your party in the Third was no joke.

Loz246789

I'm actually not too worried about the new characters for a few reasons, but I definitely wouldn't be worried about the old characters not getting the focus they deserve. They're officially part of the marketing now, and they've all got new designs, Falcom didn't do that for no reason. (They don't really have the budget if anything to waste time and money like that)

I SUSPECT that the new characters, of which there aren't really that many for a super long JRPG, will primarily be used as a new point of view within the narrative. CS2 spoilers:
Things have kind of spiraled out of control for Rean in particular, and I could easily see parts of the game having Rean be vague and uncooperative... or to be pessimistic, mysterious and angsty. New characters can help provide an understandable perspective for the audience!...Or something.

EDIT: Help I can't stop:
ToCS |OT| "You may have redone my assets, BUT YOU'LL NEVER REDO MY HEART!" - Chest.
ToCS |OT| You can start with this one. Probably.
ToCS |OT| Xseeding graphical limitations

Cold Steel PC |OT| Casting shadows in the Hollowed Light
Cold Steel PC |OT| The ogre's eye can't see lower than 60FPS
Cold Steel PC |OT| Ambient Occlusion, Amber Amour

I can't see that happening, it looks like Falcom is going to integrate the two groups quite nicely. Plus both groups look really cool. Gaius is finally going to graduate from being a weather vane and looks so awesome. (Also, shitty kids? wat)

ToCS PC |OT| Ported by a lean, Rean, porting machine
ToCS PC |OT| Super ultra alpha Ex+ edition
ToCS PC |OT| Sara calls Heinrich a jackass, Localiser rejoices, live from Erebonia

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| 120 FPS Blood and 4K Iron

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Now in Fie-K

You're all way out of my Meme League.

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Durante and the 13 Factories ported this one

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Steam ports can't melt Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| 60 head-pats per second

Loz246789

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Durante and the 13 Factories ported this one

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Steam ports can't melt Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| 60 head-pats per second

This one. This one I like.
Although doesn't the port allow for UNLIMITED HEADPATS-uh, an unlimited framerate?

Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Framerate Liberation Front
Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Reforming the game with a Noble Port
Trails of Cold Steel PC |OT| Class Spokesperson

Thud

OT| Tie A Link to Durante!

I've reached the finale chapter of Ao.

e31.jpg

There's always plently of things you see coming in trails, but those few surprises hit you hard in the gut.

Hey so

I offered to do a new OP for this thread, and since the OP image has been eaten by photobucket's policy change...

...does this mean I can make the thread images now?

Or should I, rather?

Ascheroth

Currently listening to the TitS Zanmai OST (again :p) and man the intro of Overdosing Heavenly Bliss is. so. damn. good.
Really looking forward to experiencing the Cold Steel tracks.

Kalor

Based on that video it sounds like they redid some of the early voiced lines. Some of Lauras lines sound better. A prompt for turbo mode appears near the end so that's probably the extra feature that was mentioned.

strifev1

Neo Member
The port looks so good. Props to Durante for sure.
I plan to buy it day one but I'll probably wait to replay it when Zero/Ao get localized. I'll do a full story playthrough starting with Sky.

Speaking of Zero/Ao, I'm so friggin' jealous of everybody who's playing through it right now but I just can't bring myself to play a mediocre translation on my first playthrough.

So I must wait impatiently...

So that Turbo mode is new, right? Cold Steel already has a scene skip feature but this seemed different from that.
this seems like its just rapidly pushing the game speed without altering any flow (still have to manually progress text boxes). If it can be triggered at any time it would mean super fast battles and scene skip at an extremely fast clip

fuzaco

this seems like its just rapidly pushing the game speed without altering any flow (still have to manually progress text boxes). If it can be triggered at any time it would mean super fast battles and scene skip at an extremely fast clip

So basically CheatEngine's speedhack? If so, that's great, it made the TitS games so much better.

vkrili

Do we know if they are touching the script?
I remember being some minor typos and mistakes like Sharon's surname or the "Aprikoze" Inn

If you look at the va comparison I posted above, they changed Sara saying "Dammit, we don't have time for this!" to "Argh! We don't have time for this!"

Obviously this was the highest-priority change and there will be no further tuning.

973zM6S.png

lfp8tmr.png

Psxphile

Do we know if they are touching the script?
I remember being some minor typos and mistakes like Sharon's surname or the "Aprikoze" Inn

I feel like that almost goes without saying, they've been pretty good at cleaning up typos, grammar and translation errors in the Sky games (on PC, where patching doesn't cost $1k a pop or requires the original developer to get involved in any way).

sorathecrow

Neo Member
If you look at the va comparison I posted above, they changed Sara saying "Dammit, we don't have time for this!" to "Argh! We don't have time for this!"

Obviously this was the highest-priority change and there will be no further tuning.

Hmm, did she not curse in the original Japanese? Interesting.

Yeah, they have a great record with the sky trilogy. I just find weird they haven't said anything yet.
The marketing for Cold Steel has been lacking :(

With SC we knew from the beginning that PC would receive the revised script.

Thud

The port looks so good. Props to Durante for sure.
I plan to buy it day one but I'll probably wait to replay it when Zero/Ao get localized. I'll do a full story playthrough starting with Sky.

Speaking of Zero/Ao, I'm so friggin' jealous of everybody who's playing through it right now but I just can't bring myself to play a mediocre translation on my first playthrough.

So I must wait impatiently...

Someone made a patch for Ao with the spreadsheet. However they injected machine translated sentencens, so it became unbearable for me.

So I went back to the spreadsheet method. Considering it's fan translated, I'll take what I get.

Honestly I just think they tried a couple different takes and they liked the way her VA said the line better with an argh so they changed it.

Saying argh is more time efficient. That's our Sara.

Ascheroth

Yeah, they have a great record with the sky trilogy. I just find weird they haven't said anything yet.
The marketing for Cold Steel has been lacking :(

With SC we knew from the beginning that PC would receive the revised script.
There isn't even a proper Trailer on the store page yet, just the PS3/PC comparison video.
Tbh I really don't know what they're doing with the marketing. Cold Steel PC seems to have so many huge improvements and extra work put in. Shout it out into the world dammit.

Jiraiza

Someone made a patch for Ao with the spreadsheet. However they injected machine translated sentencens, so it became unbearable for me.

So I went back to the spreadsheet method. Considering it's fan translated, I'll take what I get.

Does that even have every single piece of dialogue translated? All these little interesting tidbit conversations you find with NPCs are great. A damn shame most people will miss out on those.

Mivey

Talking about Ao, I find it hard to believe the guys doing the initial localisation (meaning producing meaningful English lines), are already at 47%. I could be wrong, but that's just the work of this one guy. Of course, the editing is probably another few years, but still.

vkrili

The "meaningful English" part is done during editing. Translation is just that: translating individual lines. There is little to no regard for greater context.

Psxphile

Editing is a whole 'nother beast all right. Just because the words are in English doesn't mean they convey what was written in Japanese perfectly, literal translations lack context and nuance. A good editor can get that back in there and really make the text flow naturally.

I've been convinced lately that in localization, editing is equally if not more difficult than translating.

sorathecrow

Neo Member
I've been convinced lately that in localization, editing is equally if not more difficult than translating.

I can imagine--especially in a series like Trails, with its huge lore and wealth of legacy terms and names that have to be tracked over multiple games.

Mivey

The "meaningful English" part is done during editing. Translation is just that: translating individual lines. There is little to no regard for greater context.
I meant that it carries the basic semantics across. A clumsy formulation on my part, notice that I said editing could take as long.

Well that finally convinced me to get this on PC even though I already have it on PS3 (and haven't played it yet). Those re-recorded lines are way better.

If you have any questions, let me know. That PC footage is mine.

Not going to watch since I want to see everything for myself, but does this mean that Xseed is using Youtubers to create some awareness? Nice.

Sadly no. There hasn't been any initiative to get anything on YT or anywhere else. I decided to upload it as there hasn't been any push to market this game. And I really want this to do good so we can get part 2 and maybe even 3 on to the PC.

More than just FPS, loading time reduction makes a huge difference in battle pacing, and the save/load menu with its thumbnails looks great too. I hope I can get 1080p/60 FPS + no pop-in on my toaster since it's been this well-optimized (and I have an SSD and plenty of RAM so loading shouldn't be a problem).

Min specs is an Intel Atom, with the i3 for recommended.

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Atom x7-Z8700 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Shader Model 5 (GeForce 400 / Radeon HD 5000 / Intel post-2012 series)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 15 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1280×720 / 30 FPS with portable settings
 RECOMMENDED:

Processor: Intel i3 3 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Geforce GTX 770 / Radeon R9 280X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 15 GB available space
Additional Notes: 1920×1080 / 60 FPS with high settings

I was able to run it on my lappy with an i5-7200u and integrated graphics and it ran fine at 1080p.

That is correct.

Man, my PR contact is probably looking at this and plotting to kill me.

Kalor

If you have any questions, let me know. That PC footage is mine.

Sadly no. There hasn't been any initiative to get anything on YT or anywhere else. I decided to upload it as there hasn't been any push to market this game. And I really want this to do good so we can get part 2 and maybe even 3 on to the PC.

2's already been confirmed for pc. The third game is the only question mark right now.

Top Bottom