• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

jb1234

Suggest you play on normal anyway :) This game, more than the other 2 Sky games, is so easily breakable that it's almost a joke to play through lol. It is cool blasting enemies with OP arts though :p Plus, the turbo mode is a God send. It made the game so much more enjoyable for me as I could fast forward through all the slow battle animations.

Yeah, two boss battles aside, I found 3rd significantly easier than SC on Normal.

Finishing up Trails of Cold Steel, it reminds me again about [CS1]
how wonky I feel the whole C revelation sequence is. Putting things like timing and editing aside, what mainly bugs me is how readily the entire Class VII accept Millium's accusation. They skipped a natural "oh Millium you cray-cray" part and went straight to "that makes sense but how did he do it?"

woah

Vantage Master card game instead of Blade? That's bizarre if true, but also really cool. Not enough people know about that game, or its cool art/designs. I can't wait to see more of this.

woah

Vantage Master card game instead of Blade? That's bizarre if true, but also really cool. Not enough people know about that game, or its cool art/designs. I can't wait to see more of this.

This person doesn't make things up, so you can assume it's true, but also really cool.

can you guys give any background as to what kind of game Vantage Master is? Was it a game made by Falcom previously? :p

duckroll

can you guys give any background as to what kind of game Vantage Master is? Was it a game made by Falcom previously? :p

Vantage Master is a mix between card games like Magic/Heathstone and hex based strategy. You summon monsters which are cards, and your objective is to kill the opponent master. It's unlikely that the "Vantage Masters" card game in CS3 will have a hex map or any of that, so it's probably a pure card game like Magic. What we can expect is something like Blade, but maybe cards will have summoning cost, and act like units on the table attacking and taking damage to prevent your own HP from dropping.

What I find more disappointing about this update is that it looks like we're returning to the CS1 school schedule format for progressing through the game. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Is there any movement on an Ao fan translation or are people waiting to see what XSEED will do?

What I find more disappointing about this update is that it looks like we're returning to the CS1 school schedule format for progressing through the game. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ugh. Every game is going to be like this from now on, isn't it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any movement on an Ao fan translation or are people waiting to see what XSEED will do?

Specifically, it's mostly the same people responsible for Zero. Same main translator, same hacker/programmer, and possibly the same editor once Zero is done.

I guess the assumption is that XSEED won't do them, unless they announce otherwise.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantage_Master

Curious if it's an adaptation or the literal game. I wouldn't be that surprised at the later.

Vantage Master is a mix between card games like Magic/Heathstone and hex based strategy. You summon monsters which are cards, and your objective is to kill the opponent master. It's unlikely that the "Vantage Masters" card game in CS3 will have a hex map or any of that, so it's probably a pure card game like Magic. What we can expect is something like Blade, but maybe cards will have summoning cost, and act like units on the table attacking and taking damage to prevent your own HP from dropping.

Ohhh. That's actually pretty cool if it plays anything like HS or tactical game. Thank you for the info!

Yeah, I really dislike that we have to go back to a school structure yet again. Hopefully, there will be more focus on the "government" missions than the school ones (somehow I find this unlikely).

If Sen III's ending the arc, then they'll have to move on from the Thors II formula at some point. I pray it doesn't last as long as SC's formula did, not that I can't deal with another scenario like that. And we won't play witness to the whereabouts and wanderings of Old Class VII if perspective's always centered on Thors II and the super train.

Oh, speak of the devil, some 2ch claims have appeared based on an Falcom Mag interview with Kondo (massive spoilers warning). Lots of juicy stuff in here, including the "Sen series' major climax".

PK Gaming

Not sure how I feel about the old set up returning

I trust them to do right by us but... CSII kinda had you "graduate" from Thors, so it'll be weird seeing Rean run around helping out with the student council and doing odd jobs like he's some rando shmuck. Ideally, that'll be limited to Juna and co, while Rean does the super important military officer work.

That's likely how the requests system will function, since the starting new Class VII students are effectively another protagonist going by what we know of the game's structure.

2ch claims "
In the first half of the game Rean builds his relationship with his students. This collapses in the second half of the game after an incident
." This sounds more assuring, though I have to wonder what could force the new Class VII
to separate

Doesn't seem like it's explicitly confirmed to be the same as CS1 does it? CS2 still had free days but without the returning to the campus, could work more like that.

The mobile campus could allow that kind of structure too.

That's likely how the requests system will function, since the starting new Class VII students are effectively another protagonist going by what we know of the game's structure.

2ch claims "
In the first half of the game Rean builds his relationship with his students. This collapses in the second half of the game after an incident
." This sounds more assuring, though I have to wonder what could force the new Class VII
to separate

This is more or less how I thought the game will be, to be honest.

Not sure how I feel about the old set up returning

I trust them to do right by us but... CSII kinda had you "graduate" from Thors, so it'll be weird seeing Rean run around helping out with the student council and doing odd jobs like he's some rando shmuck. Ideally, that'll be limited to Juna and co, while Rean does the super important military officer work.

I am optimistic enough that we'd actually get something like that.

2ch claims "
to separate

YES! This is what I was hoping for since the initial Thors II announcement.
I'm this close to just full on dream that this is actually a game with two protagonists, with Juna being a central character no less important than any other Trails protagonists.

2ch claims "
to separate
I might be super wrong but it's always been there and made more obvious at the end of CS2
the elephant in the room that needs to be adressed is that they're all working for an aggressively imperialist state that's effectively run by an asshole. Rean, and the player, being the poster boy for that oppression isn't neutral and I'm going to assume people will take a side. The civil war and Osborne's disappearance made things murky but now, everything Olivert and Arseid wanted to avoid is happening.

I always assumed the black workshop was one of the thirteen factories, I'm curious to see what it really is.

I might be super wrong but it's always been there and made more obvious at the end of CS2
the elephant in the room that needs to be adressed is that they're all working for an aggressively imperialist state that's effectively run by an asshole. Rean, and the player, being the poster boy for that oppression isn't neutral and I'm going to assume people will take a side. The civil war and Osborne's disappearance made things murky but now, everything Olivert and Arseid wanted to avoid is happening.

I always assumed the black workshop was one of the thirteen factories, I'm curious to see what it really is.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought CS2 did outright say it that was one of the 13 Factories, although if it was Osborne who said that, then leaks imply it's Ouroborus who consider it differently.

Erheller

If Sen III's ending the arc, then they'll have to move on from the Thors II formula at some point. I pray it doesn't last as long as SC's formula did, not that I can't deal with another scenario like that. And we won't play witness to the whereabouts and wanderings of Old Class VII if perspective's always centered on Thors II and the super train.

Oh, speak of the devil, some 2ch claims have appeared based on an Falcom Mag interview with Kondo (massive spoilers warning). Lots of juicy stuff in here, including the "Sen series' major climax".

Hope it's true. Really looking forward to this game,
especially if it shakes everything up.

duckroll

Doesn't seem like it's explicitly confirmed to be the same as CS1 does it? CS2 still had free days but without the returning to the campus, could work more like that.

The mobile campus could allow that kind of structure too.

It's pretty explicitly a school structure though, which is what annoys most people I think. Instead of moving forward and feeling like you're on a big adventure like the better Kiseki games, it's locked down on a training/learning framework, which blows imo. Free Day -> Mech Training -> Practical -> Free Day is the cycle they described. Free Days are where you do bonding activities, have events, chill on the campus you're at and the connected town, get mundane quests, etc. Practicals are like Field Studies where you go out and actually do shit like investigate a highway, stake out at a city, etc. I mean, I'm sure it'll be more interesting than CS1, that's not really hard, but.... :p

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought CS2 did outright say it that was one of the 13 Factories, although if it was Osborne who said that, then leaks imply it's Ouroborus who consider it differently.
That's how I understood it, hence my surprise at the leak.

Then again (lore spoilers about the 13 Factories for pretty much every game)
the power structure post-CS2 needs clarification. The Thirteen Factories are an organization separate from Ouroboros but an Anguis is at their head. So Ouroboros and the Iron Bloods being at odds at the end of CS2 raises the question of who the Black Workshop answers to. I'm going to assume Osborne took over that particular factory when he took over the Phantasmal Blaze Plan, but I guess there's the possibility the Factories are independent and opportunist enough for the Black Workshop to keep supplying Osborne, even if he's at war with The Society.

It's pretty explicitly a school structure though, which is what annoys most people I think. Instead of moving forward and feeling like you're on a big adventure like the better Kiseki games, it's locked down on a training/learning framework, which blows imo. Free Day -> Mech Training -> Practical -> Free Day is the cycle they described. Free Days are where you do bonding activities, have events, chill on the campus you're at and the connected town, get mundane quests, etc. Practicals are like Field Studies where you go out and actually do shit like investigate a highway, stake out at a city, etc. I mean, I'm sure it'll be more interesting than CS1, that's not really hard, but.... :p
I'm replaying CS1 and I still think it works really well there. Its a fun look into the lives of characters that you can keep pace with throughout an entire game as the conflict slowly comes in to view.

However retreading that structure when the conflict is clearly obvious feels like falcom reaching for new players that havent played CS1/2 and will jump in with 3. Its not exactly a structure I'm excited to go through at this point in the story.

duckroll

I think it worked REALLY well in CS1, for sure. I liked CS1. I even like it overall in terms of tone and pace more than CS2. What's annoying is that as a series, CS doesn't seem to want to progress beyond what CS1 was. CS2 was a Civil War and it still clinged to CS1's formula in a slightly different way. CS3 is now supposed to BIG EPICZ FOR REALS or whatever and it's back to school again. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Kalor

I don't mind the more focused structure considering it already has a more interesting premise compared to CS 1. If they stick with it the whole game it might wear on me but considering that there's some incident half way through that might mix it up.

It's nice to hear that they are working on PS4 versions of 1 and 2 as well. I'm curious to see if they add new quests and stuff like the Evo versions for other games.

Loz246789

It's nice to hear that they are working on PS4 versions of 1 and 2 as well. I'm curious to see if they add new quests and stuff like the Evo versions for other games.

Nooooooo I don't want another excuse to buy Cold Steel AGAIN!
If they're packaging the games together, I suspect probably not. It's probably just a means of allowing new players to eventually play CS3, nothing more.

Squire

Banned

2ch claims "
to separate

CS2 set things up so that this basically had to happen, so it's good to see them follow through.

Exactly. Juna's from an occupied state, Kurt's family has been deposed and disrespected, most of the original Class VII is probably vehemently opposed to the occupation of Crossbell and even the ones with tied hands like Machias and Jusis are probably resisting under the table. And yet, Rean still chooses to work for the military, voluntarily. This was always going to be the one to put him at odds with allies and, in theory, the one that really forces him to take a side and make a choice.

And they're following through with 1+2 on PS4? Yeah. Just extremely excited for all of it.

Mivey

I think it worked REALLY well in CS1, for sure. I liked CS1. I even like it overall in terms of tone and pace more than CS2. What's annoying is that as a series, CS doesn't seem to want to progress beyond what CS1 was. CS2 was a Civil War and it still clinged to CS1's formula in a slightly different way. CS3 is now supposed to BIG EPICZ FOR REALS or whatever and it's back to school again. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.
I mean, the whole "high school" theme just doesn't belong in a military setting anyway, that's completely idiotic to begin with. So sticking it to it until the end is just being consistent.
Would have made for a better arc (imo) if Rean and Co. were just normal military cadet doing, at first, oddjob requests from higher ups (I dunno, clean someones car?) , with each game raising the stakes, until you are essentially a full fledged officer, leading critical missions and stuff.
But hey, gotta pander to Otakus.

I don't mind the more focused structure considering it already has a more interesting premise compared to CS 1. If they stick with it the whole game it might wear on me but considering that there's some incident half way through that might mix it up.

This will kill my wallet. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy them again, though.

I just hope that, by the end of it all, there will be actual growth with Rean. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as CS1 + 2 were basically one game split into two. Interested to see how he progresses through CS3.

More specifically how he deals with the repercussions of the choices he has made (joining the military and doing Osborne's bidding, and in the process, helping to annex Crossbell and North Ambria), how he grows from it, and eventually, how he changes for the better (like what happened to Joshua and Kevin). Hoping that happens.

Asd202

Yeah I do not understand why they went back to school setting. It will do nothing but force these new characters even though everyone would rather have a game centered around the old and older class VII. Anyway it's no secret that Sen as a whole is influenced by Persona the most.

I just hope that, by the end of it all, there will be actual growth with Rean. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as CS1 + 2 were basically one game split into two. Interested to see how he progresses through CS3.

More specifically how he deals with the repercussions of the choices he has made (joining the military and doing Osborne's bidding, and in the process, helping to annex Crossbell and North Ambria), how he grows from it, and eventually, how he changes for the better (like what happened to Joshua and Kevin). Hoping that happens.
Part of me hopes
he strays further, to the point you stop controlling him and he becomes an antagonist. Well meaning military student turned into an asshole.

Part of me hopes
he strays further, to the point you stop controlling him and he becomes an antagonist. Well meaning military student turned into an asshole.

Right but if they do that you know by the end...
He'll end up rejoining and end up becoming a good person anyway... Or hes secretly working against everyone to get closer to Osborne to really take him out in the end himself.

I wonder if the 'incident' thats refereed to in the interview is... (CS3 spoilers)
The war with Calvard? Maybe Olivert begins open rebellion against Osborne after that happens and Rean ends up siding with Osborne and Olivert becomes the main character throughout the rest of the game.

Yeah I do not understand why they went back to school setting. It will do nothing but force these new characters even though everyone would rather have a game centered around the old and older class VII.

Naw, I don't. Honestly, after [CS2]
the tearful farewell at the end of Trails of Cold Steel II
, I'm about ready to witness their character growth through the lens of an outside party.

Jiraiza

Ao, Chapter 3:

First off, pretty good chapter. Lots of things happened in this one. We're finally starting to see the crossovers with the CS games. Incoming thoughts and rants combined into one spoilerific post.

First off, Ouroboros. There's been a lot of talk about Arianrhod throughout the game and you finally get to meet her in person at the end of day 3. Boy, do I love her design, especially the full armor with the helmet (might I add I love her voice, too). I can see why Doobie is a huge fangirl. And speaking of Doobie and the other knights, they showed up, too! They obviously didn't get too much action this time around, but I'm definitely looking forward to their involvement in CS3. Also plenty of information from Jorg about the Anguis. You'd expect information warfare to be a thing with these guys considering how far ahead their technology is.

I wasn't actually expecting Rixia to have her cover blown in that manner. A pleasant surprise because I was expecting the game to be lame about it and have Lloyd figure it out on his own. I guess at this point it's only a matter of time until she wears the dress outfit she had at the end of CS2 and joins the party. Couldn't help but be reminded of Velvet from ToB when she yelled out Shirley's name, though. Thanks, Satou Rina.

Man, deaths are actually a thing in the Crossbell games. And we're not even in a full-blown war yet. What the hell happened with the CS games? I mean, granted, the deaths involved mostly unnamed NPCs and stuff, but still.

The biggest star of this chapter is obviously Randy, though. All the little tidbits of Randy from Zero and the previous chapters of Ao really blew up here. I was always under the impression that Randy was the strongest in the group given his past deeds as an active Jaeger, but that doesn't seem to the case (it looks like Rixia and even Wazy might be more capable than he is, though according to Shirley, he's probably rusty as hell). He got overpowered by Shirley really, really fast (it turns out the little segment in the opening movie of the game was as accurate as it was shown). I was expecting him to put up more of a fight once he put back together his original weapon, which is fucking huge, but their fight ended in like 30 seconds. I think I like Randy better with the Stun Halberd, though. Gotta say, I have some mixed feelings about how Randy's problem ended up getting resolved. I feel like the impact could've been written much better. I think it's unfortunate that the scene didn't go into greater detail about his past misdeeds that ultimately led to his decision to leave the Jaegers. On the one hand, the three CGs showing his past in his Jaeger gear were pretty cool, but they were so short, it left me wanting a bit more. Was kind of hoping to hear about his dad, too. I get the feeling the rest of this is left for the bonding events which kind of sucks, but I hope I'm wrong there.

On the other, I feel like Lloyd being the primary voice of reason really dampers the experience. I don't really understand why it's always Lloyd that has to be the one with the important lines. It really ruins the dynamic between the others for me. I understand that he's supposed to be the leader, but it's not always the leader who should be given the spotlight for these problems and be the main resolution to it. Personally, I think it would've been way better had it been Tio who was the one that drove the conversation towards Randy's resolution. She has a much better dynamic with Randy than she does with Lloyd, if you ask me. I mean, if not Tio, then Mireille would've been another suitable choice. In that respect, I was a little disappointed Mireille didn't have a much bigger role here. I will admit that everyone "forgiving" Randy, including Noel and Wazy, was pretty cute, though. Bonus points to Tio as always because she always seems to be the main one aside from Lloyd who's concerned about Randy's well-being in any scene.

Speaking of Mireille, she's a wonderful character, despite the little screentime she has. The series does a good job with a lot of strong female characters. Her dynamic with Randy is very cute, too. The Vita-only quest where you have to find a lost patrol member in the Knox Woodlands did wonders for Randy and Mireille's character, I feel. The game's pretty blatant about how these two have a thing for each other, though they both seem try to play it off as much as they can (it's pretty clear to everyone in the group that they know Mireille has a thing for Randy). The way the quest would show Randy's hesitation in trying to make promises with her because he's afraid of getting close was well done. The fortune telling event at the theme park where he would immediately play dumb when love comes up in regards to Mireille was another supplementary detail that added to this quest. It's these little character details that I appreciate since they showcase different facets of the character and how it is internally related to the problem the character is facing at hand It's weird that this quest wasn't in the main game because it's a fantastic quest.

On another note, with all these CS3 spoilers floating around, it's kind of hard to focus on Ao. But luckily, I might be able to finish it by the end of this weekend.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Right but if they do that you know by the end...
He'll end up rejoining and end up becoming a good person anyway... Or hes secretly working against everyone to get closer to Osborne to really take him out in the end himself.

I wonder if the 'incident' thats refereed to in the interview is... (CS3 spoilers)
The war with Calvard? Maybe Olivert begins open rebellion against Osborne after that happens and Rean ends up siding with Osborne and Olivert becomes the main character throughout the rest of the game.
CS II Epilogue spoiler, CS III speculation:
for some unfathomable reason, Claire seems to have developed feelings for Rean. To me, this looks like a set up for her defecting from the Ironbloods, and something like that can't happen if Rean and Osborne are on the same side.

for some unfathomable reason, Claire seems to have developed feelings for Rean. To me, this looks like a set up for her defecting from the Ironbloods, and something like that can't happen if Rean and Osborne are on the same side.
Continuing that
Claire and Millium are both showing trepidation towards their iron blood allegiance by the end of 2. With rean clearly showing the same issues during the epilogue its the most obvious place for CS3 to go. Its definitely a good conflict to focus on for Rean's character. It also makes things interesting for Jusis, Machias, and Elliot due to their ties to Rufus, the Imperial Governor, and General Craig

Taruranto

Zero CH3 Day 2-3

Woah, the race with W&W and E&J was pretty dope. I really like Wazy and Wald, I wish there were more sub-quests about them.

Day 3 has a "hidden" cs at the doll shop's entrance with Estelle and Joshua, but the location is so off-track that the only way you'll find out about it is if you check the Bracer Guild's board. I thought it was a nice touch.
The NPCs aren't good as CS1's NPCs or even SC's I guess (Mostly because there are so many, so it's really hard to remember them all), but I'm really liking the fact that most important characters are NPCs and you can talk to them anytime. Like Cecil doesn't disappear from the game world when you are done with the story and you can visit her anytime.

See I saw that scene differently.
I think Claire is Rean's sister and her feelings towards those are of that nature... Granted it is THIS series so her developing feelings for him and them being related is entirely possible... XD

A note about Lechter as well... (3rd spoilers and CS2 major spoilers)
He does freely admit he might end up betraying Osborne at some point, honestly I think the only truly loyal person to Osborne is Rufus of all fucking people.

vkrili

There are no romantic feelings. Claire had grown attached to class VII and felt that she had betrayed them, and Rean especially. This is laid out super clearly.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
See I saw that scene differently.
I think Claire is Rean's sister and her feelings towards those are of that nature... Granted it is THIS series so her developing feelings for him and them being related is entirely possible... XD
CS II:
I don't know. The chancellor abandoning babies left and right would push things into the black comedy territory, and Claire's hair color (teal) matches neither Osborne's (brown), nor Rean's (black, presumably inherited from his mother). They could be half-siblings, I guess, but that's too soap, even for Trails, IMO.

Is there any particular line or scene that gave you this idea?

EDIT:
There are no romantic feelings. Claire had grown attached to class VII and felt that she had betrayed them, and Rean especially. This is laid out super clearly.
Is it? Toval and Alfin act like they're witnessing something romantic near the old schoolhouse, and while Alfin is Alfin, I don't remember Toval teasing anyone else like that at any other point.

PK Gaming

Fucking RIP playable Patrick. He's lumped in with the rest of the side characters~

CS II:
I don't know. The chancellor abandoning babies left and right would push things into the black comedy territory, and Claire's hair color (teal) matches neither Osborne's (brown), nor Rean's (black, presumably inherited from his mother). They could be half-siblings, I guess, but that's too soap, even for Trails, IMO.

Is there any particular line or scene that gave you this idea?

He's not saying they're literal siblings, but that she dotes on him like an older sister would. Rean outright mentions this in one of his bond events with Claire.

Is it? Toval and Alfin act like they're witnessing something romantic near the old schoolhouse, and while Alfin is Alfin, I don't remember Toval teasing anyone else like that at any other point.

Toval says "Rean I swear, you're trouble when it comes to women" because he just witnessed a super sappy apology between Rean and Claire. He's not literally implying that she has feelings for him, but that he has a tendency of getting into situations with women (because oh geeeeez harem protagonist!).

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Toval says "Rean I swear, you're trouble when it comes to women" because he just witnessed a super sappy apology between Rean and Claire. He's not literally implying that she has feelings for him, but that he has a tendency of getting into situations with women (because oh geeeeez harem protagonist!).
CS II Epilogue:
Then what is the secret reason Claire is concerned about him? The one that she can't possibly tell him, as she says to herself at the train station? Surely, it has to be something bigger than simply being embarrassed to admit that she cares for the well-being of a group of cadets, one that Millium is a part of. The way the scene is framed (camera lingering on Claire as Rean walks away, her words using smaller than usual font) makes it look like a big reveal of some sort.

^ definitely right that
Claire's current mood is due to something with Rean in particular. It could be a lot of things, though with how that scene played out drawing lines to romantic feelings isn't very farfetched.

EDIT: Seeing these high res screenshots, old class vii was treated really well with their new models. New class vii is positively boring in comparison

vkrili

CS II:
Yes, they intentionally wrote it that way to make it look strange to outsiders, to help break the tension and bring some levity to it. Remember that their "weird" conversation is carried by both of them, instead of one character ~obviously hiding their true feelings from the dense other~

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I do not understand why they went back to school setting. It will do nothing but force these new characters even though everyone would rather have a game centered around the old and older class VII. Anyway it's no secret that Sen as a whole is influenced by Persona the most.

The fact they still seem to be unable to get away from it with Sen after three games is what leaves me concerned they won't break away from it in the next arc either.

Top Bottom