• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Stuart444

Is there any reason to believe that Falcom has dropped XSEED? It doesn't seem like XSEED is big enough to manage all of the titles Falcom wants localized anyways.

Re: VA - Sen III seems to use some sort of pseudo silent protagonist / player stand-in logic when it comes to many voiced scenes, so you have a lot of scenes where there is a conversation between Rean and another character, but Rean himself is not voiced. I'm assuming XSEED will fill in the blanks here.

Pretty sure that was the same in both CS1 and 2 on PS3. Unless Falcom allows it, that won't change.

Pretty sure that was the same in both CS1 and 2 on PS3. Unless Falcom allows it, that won't change.

Maybe I just don't recall, but I feel like VA is the least consistent it's been since Zero. I haven't played the localized versions, so I was just basing my post off of the "XSEED added voice acting!" posts I've seen on NeoGAF.

Stuart444

Maybe I just don't recall, but I feel like VA is the least consistent it's been since Zero. I haven't played the localized versions, so I was just basing my post off of the "XSEED added voice acting!" posts I've seen on NeoGAF.

Yeah they did that for the PC ports. They have the code and can work on it. Falcom would need to do the console versions (iirc they wanted to add more VA to the original PS3 versions but couldn't because of this).

The voice acting inconsistency bugs the shit out of me in CSIII though yeah.

I don't remember Ao being this inconsistent. I wish they would just stick to voiced scenes and non voiced scenes and not do this weird half and half business.

Stuart444

I don't remember Ao being this inconsistent. I wish they would just stick to voiced scenes and non voiced scenes and not do this weird half and half business.

I've not played Zero/Ao (though I do own the Evo versions and may play them at some point though I hold out hope for a PC XSeed version), is there voice acted scenes in the normal Zero/Ao versions? Since Sky was pretty much all combat scenes only, I assumed the same was true of Zero/Ao (ignoring the Evo versions)

I can imagine that the amount of lines to voice would be expensive but I agree, don't have half voiced and half non-voiced in the very same scene. Sometimes they have blue boxes voiced mixed in with non-blue boxed voiced scenes (not often but I still remember seeing a few).

Bugs me so much. It's probably my biggest complaint with Sen III personally.

Tonton

Ao was basically random lines voiced during scenes IDR if it had one full voice scene
Maybe the very first scene (which is what they showed in the trailer)
Zero was more like some random words and both had the whole quest system that was voiced by Fran

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason to believe that Falcom has dropped XSEED? It doesn't seem like XSEED is big enough to manage all of the titles Falcom wants localized anyways.

There's not really any reason to believe that at all. They are still releasing Falcom games, Tom has said they still have a good relationship, and the two games other publishers picked up both make sense.

I also doubt anything is stopping XSEED from picking up all their games but their own business decisions (and NISA in the case of Ys VIII). Over the last decade, excluding ports, Falcom has released less than two games per year on average. Meanwhile XSEED is localizing indie/doujin games these days due to a lack of licenses.

Jiraiza

Thanks Falcom, I guess you wanted to get the new fans to experience the despair that is
a cliffhanger ending from back in the FC days.

FUCK

I mean, there was CS1, but that didn't feel as painful as this one.

Also,
Jusis, Laura, and Alfin on a one-way trip to suffering with Rean in front. Not cool.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
heh, apologies for being so unspecific. i meant for CS3.
I braved the wiki, and it lists
*****24*****
playable characters. I think 23 of them were known to be playable before release, but the remaining
*****one is*****
a spoiler. Spoiler tags contain only numbers, a form of the verb "to be", and junk symbols to pad out the length of the tags and help obfuscate their contents.
Hatsuu is stupidly talented for an amateur, holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Her Mint is straight up great
Talented as a director, or does she actually voice Mint? I don't see it mentioned in any of the linked Facebook posts.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
She mentions voicing Mint HERE

Gotta wonder if she has any experience voice acting, because she doesn't have the tell-tale "person who isn't a voice actor voicing a character" vibe
Are you sure it's what she meant by that tweet? I read it as "Mint is the most high-pitched thing I've heard while performing my duties as a director". It would be a little odd if Brittany publicly gushed about her own performance and called her own voice "cute" like that, without any sign of self-deprecation. She also posted this, which would display an even bigger lack of humility on her part if she really was voicing Mint.
Well she voices Fiona and Ferris.
Source?

lisaeves

Neo Member
i really don't like her voice as ferris to be honest. :/ she sounds goofy and annoying, in a children's cartoon sort of way. i sorta feel the same way about that provinical army officer, too.

I braved the wiki, and it lists
*****24*****
playable characters. I think 23 of them were known to be playable before release, but the remaining
*****one is*****
a spoiler. Spoiler tags contain only numbers, a form of the verb "to be", and junk symbols to pad out the length of the tags and help obfuscate their contents.

hmm, interesting. i remember seeing that they announced (cs3 spoiler-ish)
rean, alisa, emma, laura, fie, machias, jusis, elliot, gaius, millium, sara, altina, juna, kurt, ash, musee, tita, agate, randy, tio, aurelia, olivier
...did i forget one? i wonder who the other
1/2 is/are
, then. not that i want to know.

it's definitely the most anyway. hnngh, random information like this really is meaningless but how else am i supposed to survive the wait?

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
hmm, interesting. i remember seeing that they announced (cs3 spoiler-ish)
rean, alisa, emma, laura, fie, machias, jusis, elliot, gaius, millium, sara, altina, juna, kurt, ash, musee, tita, agate, randy, tio, aurelia, olivier
...did i forget one? i wonder who the other
1/2 is/are
, then. not that i want to know.
Whoops, I may have made a tiny mistake. No spoilers beyond the number of playable characters past this point.
I went over past news articles and found out that two characters I thought had been confirmed as playable, had not been. Randy has never been officially confirmed to be playable, by the way, so there are 3 more playable characters in addition to the other 21 you mentioned, and I'll leave it to your imagination whether or not Randy is one of them.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of wanted them to voice her to figure what the hell Becky's accent is. 80% of the time it's scottish (glaswegian specifically I think it's supposed to be?) but it seems to veer into Irish sometimes and I swear at one point it's west country.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of wanted them to voice her to figure what the hell Becky's accent is. 80% of the time it's scottish (glaswegian specifically I think it's supposed to be?) but it seems to veer into Irish sometimes and I swear at one point it's west country.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Scottish, IIRC the translator is Scottish so they went with that to do something out of the norm for localizing her accent.

OrionX

CS1 Chapter 4: Well that escalated quickly.
I knew Rean had some secrets but I wasn't expecting it to be that he had a super anime white-haired form.
Rean's been pretty vanilla so far, but now I'm very curious about his backstory and what this all means.

Also I thought the game had been telling me
Rean belongs with Alisa but now everyone, including Alisa, seems to ship him with his sister. It worked with Estelle and Joshua but Elise and Rean will NEVER be Estelle and Joshua.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a
summer festival
to attend. :D

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Scottish, IIRC the translator is Scottish so they went with that to do something out of the norm for localizing her accent.

Oh he/she is actually Scottish? Nevermind, then; maybe I'm just being oversensitive. I'm too used to certain media conflating every non-southern english accent together.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Careful to anyone playing on their second playthrough in Sen III there is a bug where you lose one of your masterquartz if you play with the inherit MQ option.
It happens in chapter 2 upon the character with the Titania MQ joining. If you block off Titania by equipping it in a mainslot the quartz you lose will change.
You can basically at most control between losing Titania, Kaguchi, Skuld, Sirius or Diva.

Psxphile

Careful to anyone playing on their second playthrough there is a bug where you lose one of your masterquartz if you play with the inherit MQ option.
It happens in chapter 2 upon the character with the Titania MQ joining. If you block off Titania by equipping it in a mainslot the quartz you lose will change.
You can basically at most control between losing Titania, Kaguchi, Skuld, Sirius or Diva.

Is this for Sen III?

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Careful to anyone playing on their second playthrough in Sen III there is a bug where you lose one of your masterquartz if you play with the inherit MQ option.
You mention plenty of new Master Quartz. Are there any standout passive effects on them that you found to be particularly fun to use and to build characters around? Is there anything less conventional that would enable odd gimmick setups, or are random ailments and stat penalties as crazy as it gets?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
You mention plenty of new Master Quartz. Are there any standout passive effects on them that you found to be particularly fun to use and to build characters around? Is there anything less conventional that would enable odd gimmick setups, or are random ailments and stat penalties as crazy as it gets?

Mmmh hard to say since I have not gotten down to finding any special builds yet. I've mostly been falling back on staples like dodge tank. There are quartz that raise dmg when enemies are affected by status effects and there are things that raise dmg when people are in break mode. But knowing the available quartz I'd say there are more things possible now than before for sure.

PK Gaming

Re: VA - Sen III seems to use some sort of pseudo silent protagonist / player stand-in logic when it comes to many voiced scenes, so you have a lot of scenes where there is a conversation between Rean and another character, but Rean himself is not voiced. I'm assuming XSEED will fill in the blanks here.

Well no, it has nothing to do with adhering to some silent protagonist/audience surrogate principal. It's just that Rean has always had the most lines in these games, and they couldn't afford to consistently voice them all.

Are you sure it's what she meant by that tweet? I read it as "Mint is the most high-pitched thing I've heard while performing my duties as a director". It would be a little odd if Brittany publicly gushed about her own performance and called her own voice "cute" like that, without any sign of self-deprecation. She also posted this, which would display an even bigger lack of humility on her part if she really was voicing Mint.

Ah, yeah I think I misread that completely.

i really don't like her voice as ferris to be honest. :/ she sounds goofy and annoying, in a children's cartoon sort of way. i sorta feel the same way about that provinical army officer, too.

It's fitting for a character like Ferris who is pretty much ripped straight from a children's cartoon.

Nyoro SF

Yeah about to say, Ferris has a super cartoony personality. Playing CS1 again on PC definitely confirms this.

I'm glad Saffrin(sp?) the maid is getting new voices in CS2, she is lowkey one of the best NPCs.

lisaeves

Neo Member
i think letting ferris' personality come through the script is better than over-emphasizing it with every voiced syllable.

her fiona is good though.

PK Gaming

Random aside, but real talk, the entire sequence where Blue Destination plays in CS2 for the first time is a peak Kiseki moment. The way it conveys the feeling of power and elation for the first time is fucking wizardry, holy shit.

CANNOT wait to play the CS2 PC port

Famassu

These last pages of speculating about the next western publisher for Cold Steel III/future Kiseki games is killing me, especially after the predictably horrible job NISA did with Ys VIII. :S

Young Magus

Random aside, but real talk, the entire sequence where Blue Reflection plays in CS2 for the first time is a peak Kiseki moment. The way it conveys the feeling of power and elation for the first time is fucking wizardry, holy shit.

When it plays again in CS3
full

preta

Random aside, but real talk, the entire sequence where Blue Reflection plays in CS2 for the first time is a peak Kiseki moment. The way it conveys the feeling of power and elation for the first time is fucking wizardry, holy shit.

Ah yes, my favorite Kiseki song

Seriously though, I'm currently absolutely loving this theme (no spoilers in title/video/description). Had to rip it myself since I couldn't find it on YT. Almost certainly my favorite Sen III song so far. It's like Phantasmal Blaze meets Vesper Umbra (from TX).

PK Gaming

When it plays again in CS3
full

One of the many emotional gut punches. Sen III just doesn't hold back.

Ah yes, my favorite Kiseki song

Seriously though, I'm currently absolutely loving this theme (no spoilers in title/video/description). Had to rip it myself since I couldn't find it on YT. Almost certainly my favorite Sen III song so far. It's like Phantasmal Blaze meets Vesper Umbra (from TX).

That typo did not just happen, I refuse to accept it happened

IT DID

AND IT'S A REAL SONG, AHHH

And yeah, that song is particularly great. I'm still shocked that people are kind of down on the OST. Repetitive song use aside, the individual tracks are really great

Stuart444

Also I thought the game had been telling me
Rean belongs with Alisa but now everyone, including Alisa, seems to ship him with his sister.

Honestly I feel like the game just has fun with that and doesn't take it 'too' seriously.
I feel like the game ships him more with Alisa than Elize or anyone else. CSIII just confirms that to me as well.

Oh he/she is actually Scottish? Nevermind, then; maybe I'm just being oversensitive. I'm too used to certain media conflating every non-southern english accent together.

Yeah, I remember mentioning how much I love it (speaking as someone who is Scottish) or something on twitter to them and was told it was cause one of their team were Scottish so they went with that for her ascent.

I read every single one of her lines in my head with the perfect voice/ascent. It's awesome :D

When they eventually have to voice her, I wonder who they will get.

preta

PK Gaming said:
That typo did not just happen, I refuse to accept it happened

IT DID

AND IT'S A REAL SONG, AHHH

And yeah, that song is particularly great. I'm still shocked that people are kind of down on the OST. Repetitive song use aside, the individual tracks are really great

My problem with it is that a lot of the less remarkable tracks get used an absolute ton, while many of the best tracks are used infrequently and backloaded. It has 90 tracks but it manages to feel like significantly less. Judging by track names, I'm guessing I've heard about 72 tracks by now, but it feels closer to 50. There aren't as many tracks that I can see myself regularly listening to out of context as in most other games in the series.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Mmmh hard to say since I have not gotten down to finding any special builds yet. I've mostly been falling back on staples like dodge tank. There are quartz that raise dmg when enemies are affected by status effects and there are things that raise dmg when people are in break mode. But knowing the available quartz I'd say there are more things possible now than before for sure.
Thank you. On the subject of status effects, are there any changes to the underlying philosophy behind boss resistances? In the first two CS games, complete immunities are relatively uncommon (excluding Petrify and KO), but resistances are quite high across the board, and the duration is capped at 1 turn. As a result, you can inflict just about any ailment once in a blue moon, and it's really nice when you do, but the consistency needed to make it the cornerstone of your strategy just isn't there. The only exception is Delay because it's unaffected by the duration cap, and because all its sources have a base infliction rate of 100% and stack in baffling way: as long as a single roll succeeds, the total sum of all Delay values is applied.

Is this still the case in CS III? I think the encounter design could be improved if bosses were immune to mostly every status effect, but had a few glaring gaps in their ailment defenses and were balanced under the assumption that the player would keep them under the effect of these ailments all the time. I'd like to see an early game boss that could wipe out your entire party with late game arts, but could be Muted with ease, or a boss with impenetrably high DEF and ADF stats that was meant to be defeated with percentage damage from Burn, Freeze, and Poison.

shimon

Did they mention somewhere when in 2018 will CS2 release? I've seen the 2018 release posts on FB but maybe I missed something more specific?

Gu4n

That still hasn't been patched? Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep lingering around in chapter 1 then.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did they mention somewhere when in 2018 will CS2 release? I've seen the 2018 release posts on FB but maybe I missed something more specific?

Should be pretty early, since initially end of 2017 was on the table but not likely. Barring QA issues I wouldn't be surprised if it's released before the end of winter.

Top Bottom