• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

preta

Is it safe to assume Akatsuki will be non-canon, considering the whole "dream party" thing? Also, do we know when it takes place?

Gu4n

Is it safe to assume Akatsuki will be non-canon, considering the whole "dream party" thing? Also, do we know when it takes place?
I think it's safe to assume it's non-canon and that it takes place not before the second half of S.1204.

Arizato

Finally finished Trails in The Sky FC since I started playing it in March. The ending was pretty great and I just decided to buy SC instantly. Downloading as I am typing and I will probably start on that game later today!

Still got Cold Steel to play on my Vita as well, but should I fully finish SC before I start that one? Heard Cold Steel spoils some stuff from SC.

Finally finished Trails in The Sky FC since I started playing it in March. The ending was pretty great and I just decided to buy SC instantly. Downloading as I am typing and I will probably start on that game later today!

Still got Cold Steel to play on my Vita as well, but should I fully finish SC before I start that one? Heard Cold Steel spoils some stuff from SC.

It's best to finish SC before starting Cold Steel, as the latter game will include references to the earlier. It would be ideal if we could play the Crossbell games before Cold Steel as well, but alas.

Yeah, that's the best way to handle it. None of the spoilers would be much if you played CS first, but having played FC they would be more noticeable.

Arizato

It's best to finish SC before starting Cold Steel, as the latter game will include references to the earlier. It would be ideal if we could play the Crossbell games before Cold Steel as well, but alas.

I am guessing there isn't even a fantranslation of the Crossbell games?

Yeah, that's the best way to handle it. None of the spoilers would be much if you played CS first, but having played FC they would be more noticeable.

Okay! I am pretty interested in the current characters anyway, but Cold Steel looks so a whole lot more appealing graphically when compared to TiTS.

Bebpo

Banned
I'd be really surprised if Akatsuki if non-canon. The whole selling point of Kiseki at all is the story and world lore.

Gu4n

I'd be really surprised if Akatsuki if non-canon. The whole selling point of Kiseki at all is the story and world lore.
It doesn't get more non-canon than this. The USP of this game is the possibility to assemble your dream team: put Gralsritter, Ouroboros, bracers and jaegers in a single party. I just hope that the actual locations, Remiferia in particular, are canon.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8gk6KR-cI

So this is there PC browser entry? I like that it mimics the look of the earlier Kiseki titles but with fully-polygonal chibi models instead of sprites, kind of looks like something that would be at home on 3DS. Can't really comment on anything else.
I don't really mind the modern kiseki art style as much as some do, but man these are some of the most "mass produced" feeling character designs I've seen.

omgfloofy

Banned

Conversely, I'd be surprised if it was canon for the most part.

The idea I've picked up from the game since it was announced quite some time ago, was that it would be like the Kiseki version of FFRK.

Mind you, Record Keeper is a ton of fun anyway.

danthefan

I've just gotten into the final chapter of FC and the story really kicked off. Think I'll go straight into SC afterwards, but on PC this time. Really enjoyable games. They Cold Steel I guess!

Gu4n

And the first key visual of Sen no Kiseki III is out... in the background of the Tokyo Xanadu eX+ trailer.

jTKcKvz.png

Gu4n

Is that a new character or someone we should recognize from Sen II?
That is Rean holding his tachi in front of him wearing a white coat (Cold Steel 2 spoilers),
fitting for his new job as Special Forces Officer to the Governor-General of Crossbell, who is also wearing white. Also, note the silhouette of Crow in the back

preta

Not clicking that spoiler, but is it a spoiler to say that that's him in the coat? I saw the part off to the right, which I assume is a comparison pic with CSII. It doesn't appear obvious there.

Gu4n

Not clicking that spoiler, but is it a spoiler to say that that's him in the coat? I saw the part off to the right, which I assume is a comparison pic with CSII. It doesn't appear obvious there.
Oh no, sorry, it's about the poster in between the two televisions (one with the Thors logo, one with something burning to a crisp) on the screenshot left. On the right you see Chronosritter, a character from Tokyo Xanadu. My spoiler explains why you see Rean wearing a white coat, apart from it being the seasonal colour.

Edit:
Updated the screenshot.

preta

Oh no, sorry, it's about the poster in between the two televisions (one with the Thors logo, one with something burning to a crisp) on the screenshot left. On the right you see Chronosritter, a character from Tokyo Xanadu. My spoiler explains why you see Rean wearing a white coat, apart from it being the seasonal colour.
I see. He looks
kind of like McBurn in that poster, with the longcoat and all. Who I've been spoiled on having the same sort of "power".

Well, at a distance that looks like a Sen game.
I mean it doesn't look like a huge departure technically, not that I expected it to.

Edit: I'm dumb, that was the Tokyo Xanadu part I was commenting on.

omgfloofy

Banned
There are definitely two visuals for Sen III in that image.

CS2 Spoilers:
The image of Rean in the coat, and if you look to the left behind him, it looks like Crow is fading into white. Then the image on the right looks like something has been attacked.

Gu4n

Some coherent thoughts about that Sen III image.

• Rean's hair. Yes, it looks longer and more toned down from what we've seen so far. I believe this is because of (theory)
    a time skips to S.1206
    . After all, (Ao endgame spoiler)
    Ao concludes with a picture of the Crossbell cast in S.1207, corresponding with Crossbell's liberation early that year
  • Rean's coat. It's white and majestic. I believe we've seen this coat in Sen II before in the form of (Sen II postgame spoiler)
    Governor-General's uniform (spoilery pic here). As the Special Forces Officer to the Governor-General, it is only fitting he would wear something similar.
  • The silhouette. I believe it represents (Sen II endgame spoiler)
    Crow, fading away.
    As omgfloofy theorised before, Sen III could very well be about (Sen II endgame spoiler)
    Rean's double agenda. At surface level he obediently follows Osborne's order to gain his trust while he is actually working to figure out how Osborne survived (read: revived himself from) C's shot. Their wounds are similar after all.
    This is a very plausible theory, to which I would like to add that (The 3rd/Sen II NG+ spoiler)
    Rean might be working in collaboration with Thomas for an equivalent exchange. The Church is willing to depart information on reincarnation with Rean in exchange for his collaboration in either finding the Sept-Terrion and/or getting rid of Osborne.
  • The warfare picture. I've asked multiple people what place they think it represents and they all answered the same:
    Nord Highlands, in particular the Nomadic Settlement
    . This ties in what I theorised before here, that (theory, Cold Steel II postgame spoiler)
    Calvard concludes it can't fight Erebonia on the Crossbellan border and ponders alternatives. Liberl stays points to the non-aggression pact they signed with Calvard and Erebonia and stays neutral. The alternative is through is a guerrilla attack on the Zender Gate through the Nord Highlands. During the guerrilla attack, Gaius' hometown -- located in the middle between the highlands, where it was during Cold Steel -- gets detroyed and several people get killed.
    Although he hasn't published it yet, I'm linking this to a theory proposed by Yotaka (theory):
    Returning from a mission home, the peace-loving Gaius' world sees his home burning and his world crumbles. His Stigma awakens in the vicinity of the statue in north Nord Highlands and becomes the 11th Dominion. He is welcomed to the Gralsritter by Barkhorn and welcomed in Arteria.

Aters

The warfare picture. I've asked multiple people what place they think it represents and they all answered the same:
Nord Highlands, in particular the Nomadic Settlement
. This ties in what I theorised before here, that (theory, Cold Steel II postgame spoiler)
Calvard concludes it can't fight Erebonia on the Crossbellan border and ponders alternatives. Liberl stays points to the non-aggression pact they signed with Calvard and Erebonia and stays neutral. The alternative is through is a guerrilla attack on the Zender Gate through the Nord Highlands. During the guerrilla attack, Gaius' hometown -- located in the middle between the highlands, where it was during Cold Steel -- gets detroyed and several people get killed.
Although he hasn't published it yet, I'm linking this to a theory proposed by Yotaka (theory):
Returning from a mission home, the peace-loving Gaius' world sees his home burning and his world crumbles. His Stigma awakens in the vicinity of the statue in north Nord Highlands and becomes the 11th Dominion. He is welcomed to the Gralsritter by Barkhorn and welcomed in Arteria.

Haha, he turns from the most boring character to the most interesting character real quick.

Nyoro SF

Thanks for the post Gu4n.

The more I learn, the more I think that there is no way there won't be a CS4. The weight of the unanswered information from CS2 and those spoilers...

omgfloofy

Banned

The more I learn, the more I think that there is no way there won't be a CS4. The weight of the unanswered information from CS2 and those spoilers...

Kondo's basically confirmed this. They were ready to move on to Calvard after CS2, but then had to change their minds and do CS3.

Nyoro SF

Kondo's basically confirmed this. They were ready to move on to Calvard after CS2, but then had to change their minds and do CS3.

That's fine by me. That means Falcom has more time to put together a godlike Japanese-style Calvard soundtrack that will blow me away like Vantage Master Japan.

But yeah, they're not gonna cover all of that in one game. I'm hoping for some real hype conflicts in CS3 and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed like I was with the battles leading up to the final fight in CS2.

omgfloofy

Banned
That's fine by me. That means Falcom has more time to put together a godlike Japanese-style Calvard soundtrack that will blow me away like Vantage Master Japan.

Considering stuff going on in Calvard, I don't think the whole nation is going to be eastern inspired. I don't think it was in the first place, just influenced by people immigrating in from the east.

Gu4n

But yeah, they're not gonna cover all of that in one game. I'm hoping for some real hype conflicts in CS3 and I don't think I'm going to be disappointed like I was with the battles leading up to the final fight in CS2.

Considering stuff going on in Calvard, I don't think the whole nation is going to be eastern inspired. I don't think it was in the first place, just influenced by people immigrating in from the east.
I think the best way to imagine Calvard is to take a US settled on the soil of traditional Asian-inspired indigenous peoples. As a Republic, with its 110 years Calvard is a relatively young state. Also, so far there is no reason to think it will be Japan inspired; everything points toward China right now.

vladisaac

I think it's safe to assume it's non-canon and that it takes place not before the second half of S.1204.

Hmm? Why can't Akatsuki no Kiseki be canon?
My speculation may be wrong, but I think it's totally possible for it to be canon!
The first video shows an average gacha game with a Kiseki skin + battle system. Like most of the gacha games out there, you'll select a mission from a location in the map, go explore it/battle some foes with some Visual Novel type cutscenes before and after each mission.
Having certain characters in your roster doesn't necessarily mean they will have any impact in the main story. With the cutscenes and the exploration/battle system separated, I bet you can totally go through the whole game without the main characters in your party.

Hah, thanks for pointing that out. When playing CS after both TitS games, the political situation gave me the impression it was echoing either Taiwan or HK, but now that you mention it, HK makes sense.

I didn't even think of it from a political standpoint, but yeah, there's a pretty clear parallel there, cool.

Aters

Falcom usually use one set of assets multiple times. Given that CS3 will probably be mostly new locations (they are moving to PS4 so they need new assets anyway), a CS4 is very reasonable. I don't know if it will be a full-blown final chapter or a fandisc like TitS 3rd though.

preta

Falcom usually use one set of assets multiple times. Given that CS3 will probably be mostly new locations (they are moving to PS4 so they need new assets anyway), a CS4 is very reasonable. I don't know if it will be a full-blown final chapter or a fandisc like TitS 3rd though.

:(

I thought we were beyond this. 3rd is a very important part of the series, and one of my favorites.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
People can't help seeing it as nothing more than big ol' loredump w/ dungeon-crawling.

I've always taken "fandisc" to mean less than that. Like a totally optional spinoff that doesn't add anything important to the series. Which is apparently the complete opposite of what it actually, since it opens up the underlying plot from the events that happened in Liberl.

Psxphile

I've always taken "fandisc" to mean less than that. Like a totally optional spinoff that doesn't add anything important to the series. Which is apparently the complete opposite of what it actually, since it opens up the underlying plot from the events that happened in Liberl.

It's basically what "The Answer/Episode Aegis" was in Person 3 FES, except the doors you find in the dungeon reveal huge plot threads.

That assessment, however, is based on incomplete information so even I wouldn't put too much stock in it. But from the outside looking in, it's somewhat familiar.

preta

It's basically what "The Answer/Episode Aegis" was in Person 3 FES, except the doors you find in the dungeon reveal huge plot threads.

That assessment, however, is based on incomplete information so even I wouldn't put too much stock in it. But from the outside looking in, it's somewhat familiar.

In 3rd, you've got the main story, which is a little shorter and smaller in scale than the others, but you also have 25 optional Sun, Moon and Star doors. The Sun doors contain minigames, the Moon doors contain long scenes (and I do mean long), and the Star doors contain shorter scenes.

The doors are very important, but make no mistake, you learn plenty of important information in the main story as well. Plus it's really good! It's the reason Kevin is my second favorite character in the series (after Estelle).

Gu4n

The 3rd is a fan disc in the sense that it gives exactly that what the fans need and (should) want. Regardless of how dismissive one may see it, the fact is that the four sequels heavily draw from The 3rd's content, both its main story and the 25 episodic doors. And it's just great fun to be able to compile your dream team in dungeons where the higher elements are always active.

Like I didn't already want Zero and Ao enough. All the more reason for me.
I'm afraid that's only going to get worse with CS2.

Top Bottom