• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Taruranto

People have been negative toward CS2? Critical, yes, but I don't think there are more a few people that truly dislike the game.

The general consensus seemed something like "It's a good game, but I have issue with X character or Y plot development".

Wasn't the Japanese rating for it something like 70 or 80? It was posted few pages ago but I can't find it now.

TR_

I wonder how much people are gonna hate the 3rd. After the surprisingly negative reaction to CS2, I'm keeping my expectations in check. (3rd is my favorite game in the series, CS2 is #2)

It's not that surprising the game has mixed receptions in Japan too. On Jap Amazon the ratings is around 2.8 - 3.0 stars and the top rated reviews have mostly the same criticisms made by western players.

Nyoro SF

It's not that surprising the game has mixed receptions in Japan too. On Jap Amazon the ratings is around 2.8 - 3.0 stars and the top rated reviews have mostly the same criticisms made by western players.

Yeah, surprising isn't the word I would use. The reaction everywhere has been pretty universal.

I suppose you can say people have high expectations for the writing for Kiseki games; but that's a good thing. Because I honestly can't think of another game series right now that treats its story with such care. Even though I think the Cold Steel series is a letdown in the writing and storytelling department (I don't think I'll ever forgive that Chapter 4 CS1 sequence on any literary level), the technical care taken to "keep the course" for all the plot threads the series has created so far while introducing new surprises is still well done.

Thoraxes

I wonder how much people are gonna hate the 3rd. After the surprisingly negative reaction to CS2, I'm keeping my expectations in check. (3rd is my favorite game in the series, CS2 is #2)

I've been probably the most excited for 3rd mostly for the story connotations alone. I'm expecting a lot of blanks to get filled in for me, and I go through the stories of these games very voraciously. I quite enjoy digging deep into the lore and events of the games released thus far, and plan on doing a full series replay after 3rd just to see how much my interpretations on people and places will change. The gameplay of the older games in the series was something I quite enjoyed (yes, pacing too), so i'm expecting no issues on that front for me.

As for CS2, i'm pretty surprised as well. While I would say I enjoyed SC's story conclusion most (of all English translated games), all-around as a game I liked CS2 more. Pretty much all of my friends who've played all the games favor CS2 positively as well. We discuss the games a lot.

Aeana

There's no doubt that as a unit, Zero/Ao are by far the best in the series. I just really loved CS2 after coming off of CS1. The contrast of zzz -> excitement for me was immense. And the gaiden/epilogue stuff, so good. But I admit that part is probably lost on anyone who hasn't played Ao.

As for 3rd, I really appreciate the deeper digging it does into various aspects of the characters and lore and the world itself. It's a depth you don't see in the other games because they don't have time. I just have a feeling that the kind of game it is won't resonate with a lot of western fans who are in it for the exciting revelations. There's some heavy stuff in 3rd, some even fairly horrific, but it's presented in a segmented way. Guess we'll see whenever it finally comes out.

Paches

SC Chapter 7

Angel of Slaughter is the dumbest fight. Guess I just have to reload and put on the correct accessories I guess? Annoying as hell.

PK Gaming

There's no doubt that as a unit, Zero/Ao are by far the best in the series. I just really loved CS2 after coming off of CS1. The contrast of zzz -> excitement for me was immense. And the gaiden/epilogue stuff, so good. But I admit that part is probably lost on anyone who hasn't played Ao.

I haven't even touched Ao/Zero and the epilogue got me stupidly excited. The
shift in perspective was way out of left field, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I don't know a thing about Lloyd or Rixia, but I could feel the history behind those 2 characters. That battle theme made me feel nostalgic about a game I've never even played .

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I complain about CS2's pacing and writing, but I do love the game to death. Just to add to the echo chamber going on in here.

Erheller

SC Chapter 7

Angel of Slaughter is the dumbest fight. Guess I just have to reload and put on the correct accessories I guess? Annoying as hell.

Dunno if this works on PSP, but if you have
Kevin
in your party on PC, you can spam the number key for his S-craft to get it to pop before the boss even has its turn.

Considering that I generally dislike combat gameplay, I suspect the biggest hurdle preventing me from liking Trails in the Sky the 3rd would be all the dungeon crawling I keep hearing the game is rife with.

Can you be arrested for non consensual head pats in Crossbell?

Even if you could, the main character is a police officer, yar?

Blue Stream

Neo Member
Here is an artwork of Rean in cs3 :)

C1AMU0F.jpg

Vamphuntr

Almost done with CSII. I'm at the Epilogue. CSII SPOILERS
The Divertissement part was so cool. The Crossbell characters' design seems much better than Class VII. Really enjoyed this part and it seems to clash with the rest of the game. Felt good to beat Rean's sorry ass. The dungeon is better designed and the bosses aren't as cheap as those in the main game. It's just too bad I had no idea what was going on since I didn't play those games. Finale wise I felt it was a big letdown. You finally face down Ourobouros and Zephyr and when you beat them they just weren't trying and someone has to save you each time. Moreover you are left with more questions than answer. The Chancellor is alive and he's Rean father. Rean is also somewhat evil now working on the occupation in Crossbell.

I felt the second half of the game was much better than the first. It seemed like I was still playing CSI in the first half.
Didn't like the fact that the bosses of each part were impossible to beat and you had to lose.
Each time you find a friend they spend a lot of time saying how amazing Rean is only for him to get his ass handed to him repeatedly. There better be more Sharon and Angelica in part III as I liked them much more than Class VII.

I'm ready for the 3rd now and Zero/Ao if Xseed do it. I just feel like I got spoiled a bit on these with CSII.

Menthuss

Quick question: Do buffs stack in SC like they do in CS?

No. Buffs in Kiseki don't stack until Zero (not sure about The 3rd but I'm going to assume they don't). Instead, buffs override each other: casting La Forte (+25% STR) after using Zane's True Distend (+60% STR & DEF) on himself will drop his STR boost from 60 to 25. So watch your buff timing.

Thanks. That makes the STR and DEF boosting arts significantly less appealing. :/

Psxphile

Quick question: Do buffs stack in SC like they do in CS?

No. Buffs in Kiseki don't stack until Zero (not sure about The 3rd but I'm going to assume they don't). Instead, buffs override each other: casting La Forte (+25% STR) after using Zane's True Distend (+60% STR & DEF) on himself will drop his STR boost from 60 to 25. So watch your buff timing.

Something I've been wondering about concerning Elise in CS1 and perhaps 2.
My memory is a little foggy but when she wandered into the old schoolhouse the awakener trial activated. She passed out or something though and your group comes to save her. Why did it activate for her? Is she just like Rean and Crowe or was it due to Alfin(I can't recall if she was with her or not)?

Psxphile

Something I've been wondering about concerning Elise in CS1 and perhaps 2.
My memory is a little foggy but when she wandered into the old schoolhouse the awakener trial activated. She passed out or something though and your group comes to save her. Why did it activate for her? Is she just like Rean and Crowe or was it due to Alfin(I can't recall if she was with her or not)?

Yeah, that scene seems to suggest something but it doesn't add up.
CS2 doesn't seem to follow up on the 'is Elise an Awakener too?' question (at least not yet, Epilogue might have something to say about that) so I'm convinced that we're misunderstanding what was happening in CS1. Pretty sure Celine was the one who activated the trial in order to see if Rean was ready, and the trial sensed an Awakener was on the grounds and responded in kind. Elise was just the lure to get him to Floor 4.

Yeah, that scene seems to suggest something but it doesn't add up.
CS2 doesn't seem to follow up on the 'is Elise an Awakener too?' question (at least not yet, Epilogue might have something to say about that) so I'm convinced that we're misunderstanding what was happening in CS1. Pretty sure Celine was the one who activated the trial in order to see if Rean was ready, and the trial sensed an Awakener was on the grounds and responded in kind. Elise was just the lure to get him to Floor 4.

Yea.
Celine does say that the trial would leave Elise alone because she's not involved with the test. But then Elise somehow heard the disembodied voice, so I dunno.

preta

Yea.
Celine does say that the trial would leave Elise alone because she's not involved with the test. But then Elise somehow heard the disembodied voice, so I dunno.

I think
it's possible that Elise may become an Awakener. I DEFINITELY think it's possible that Alfin may become one, since Olivier is actively working on trying to uncurse Testa-Rossa, which only reacts to those of Arnor blood.

I think
it's possible that Elise may become an Awakener. I DEFINITELY think it's possible that Alfin may become one, since Olivier is actively working on trying to uncurse Testa-Rossa, which only reacts to those of Arnor blood.
Considering how unpopular she is, I could imagine the belligerence were that to happen.
Maybe give Ordine to Altina, too.

Yes, in NG+

Seven

Here we go with the list again. Dominions, Enforcers, Anguis, Divine Knights, S-rank bracers, Divine Blades... finish one list before adding more, dagnabbit!

preta

Considering how unpopular she is, I could imagine the belligerence were that to happen.
Maybe give Ordine to Altina, too.

Here we go with the list again. Dominions, Enforcers, Anguis, Divine Knights, S-rank bracers, Divine Blades... finish one list before adding more, dagnabbit!

We do at least have leads to go on for all three of the unconfirmed Anguis.

Popularity don't always dictate the progression of a story, especially if it's planned well in advance.

I mean, if popularity was the defining factor, Olivert would've hijacked the main protagonist spot from Class VII already.

Popularity don't always dictate the progression of a story, especially if it's planned well in advance.

I mean, if popularity was the defining factor, Olivert would've hijacked the main protagonist spot from Class VII already.

Yea of course. I'm not arguing it wouldn't happen because she's unpopular, haha. Still, if
Elise turned out to be an Awakener, or even turned out to have an important role in the story at all, I'm hoping she'd get a richer characterization and motivation than "I want to support my brother".

Zephyx

We do at least have leads to go on for all three of the unconfirmed Anguis.

I haven't checked the wiki but based on my observations and a little reading from Zero/Ao summaries, the Anguis are:

1) No idea.
2) Vita
3) Weissman (but he's dead)/ The one from Crossbell
4) Probably someone in Erebonia, Lechter maybe?
5) An old man, maybe Yun Ka-fai?
6) The man leading the Black Workshop
7) Steel Maiden

As for the enforcers, I don't exactly know how many we do not know but I believe they represent the major arcanas in tarot. Their titles, backgrounds and powers seem to reflect these also.

Then we have the Gralsritter, the Dominions and the whole business with the Septian Church which we barely have information on.

The game's lore is amazing in this regard since it gives the observant player a lot to think about. The only bad thing is that the game development and localization process takes too long. The interval between games especially the sequels are just disappointing.

I just finished TitS FC finally (my first in the series). The final dungeon is what made me put it off for a week or so, but I got through it bit by bit.

I really enjoyed the game, especially that ending.
Poor Joshua and Estelle. =[ That scene hit right in the heart.
I don't really have anything new to say (especially in a community thread of all places), but consider me a new fan. I'll be onto SC once I can afford it (probably Christmas) and Cold Steel right after. You guys can count on me to be there for new releases, as well. :D

The others are just as great, aren't they? (Like everyone else, I'm in it for the characters, world, and story.)

I just finished TitS FC finally (my first in the series). The final dungeon is what made me put it off for a week or so, but I got through it bit by bit.

I really enjoyed the game, especially that ending.
Poor Joshua and Estelle. =[ That scene hit right in the heart.
I don't really have anything new to say (especially in a community thread of all places), but consider me a new fan. I'll be onto SC once I can afford it (probably Christmas) and Cold Steel right after. You guys can count on me to be there for new releases, as well. :D

The others are just as great, aren't they? (Like everyone else, I'm in it for the characters, world, and story.)

World and story-wise, yes. Character-wise, your mileage may vary. I personally think out of all the localized games, Estelle-Joshua haven't been beaten.

That Sky FC ending
has cheesy lines thrown around, but they felt really sincere because by then you're already very familiar with the characters through the slow build-up.

End of Cold Steel 1 Spoilers.
Man, I knew this game could be good when it wanted to. I kinda was spoiled on Crow being the main baddy and I really didn't see it, but the final part of the game really did sell him pretty convincingly as the villain.

Still, that class concert? Really, really anti-climactic. Seriously, all that build up and you get two BACKGROUND MUSIC songs playing, then a transplant from Trails in the Sky? Does that song even fit? I don't know a lick of Japanese but it sounded like some kind of love song or journey's end song which was probably more appropriate in the end of SC.

Gonna start up Cold Steel 2. Excited to get more into plot, not all that excited about Ouroburos. One of the things I really hated in the Trails series is the random technology bump that doesn't really make sense. I don't mean orbal technology and the internet and whatnot, that all seems reasonable. The discussion in CS1 about new technology making personal skill/valor obsolete stands too.

I just hate that, apparently, Reinford SECRETLY was making giant robots that are like... 10 generations more advanced then the MBT they were making? I mean, is there any indication that giant robots with "super-alloy" and "reflective coating" even makes sense? Nothing even approaching that was mentioned before. And don't get me started on Ouroburos who in a logical setting probably would've taken over the world by now. For a game that goes out of its way to show you where people grow their food and mine their iron, one wonders where Ouroboros gets the metric ton of iron and bullshit to fund their entire robot-army? Argh, it's because I love this series that I nitpick over this.

I just hate that, apparently, Reinford SECRETLY was making giant robots that are like... 10 generations more advanced then the MBT they were making? I mean, is there any indication that giant robots with "super-alloy" and "reflective coating" even makes sense? Nothing even approaching that was mentioned before. And don't get me started on Ouroburos who in a logical setting probably would've taken over the world by now. For a game that goes out of its way to show you where people grow their food and mine their iron, one wonders where Ouroboros gets the metric ton of iron and bullshit to fund their entire robot-army? Argh, it's because I love this series that I nitpick over this.
not that I completely disagree with you, but just to give a bit of context anyway
They had 3 years to analyze ordine, and when you find valimar George specifically states that unlike the artifacts, Valimar's construction actually makes logical sense

Top Bottom