• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of music and vibes on the Switch's UI is genuinely upsetting to me

Choomp

Banned
Listen: this is not a serious complaint about the system. It's just something I think made the experience a lot sweeter, and I miss it.

My first thread on this site was about how much I adored the Wii U's menu music. Whether it was waiting for Miiverse to open, looking on the Daily Log, the charming, soothing music did a great job complementing the simplistic design of Nintendo's menus. The 3DS was freaking awesome with this, the StreetPass Mii Plaza was such a cute little fun place to go to because I remember the music made younger me really happy. The Wii will always be king of this, however, the combination of generic yet sharp menu design and calming music made otherwise boring apps on the thing really fun to be on. Shit like the Weather Channel was such a nice app to visit just because of the vibes it gave off.

I don't know, it's a weird thing I always loved. Here's a great Waypoint article that did a better job at describing it than I did https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/replaying-the-pretty-synthwave-tunes-of-the-wii-channels

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Extremely barebones. It's insane that the Miitomo app gives off more of a Nintendo vibe than the Switch UI does. Definitely fast and snappy though.

FingerBang

I would say the dash is disappointing in general, but I didn't expect anything else from a console that is obviously still in beta. This isn't a complaint either, I love it, I love playing Zelda on it. I'm sure it will get better and a lot will be added, now it just does just the strict necessary.

I love it. It's minimal in a good way. Better than PS4's IMO.
Therefore a joke to be said here, but I'd rather not derail the thread.

Yeah, not having music is a bummer considering Nintendo implemented really nice sound tones. I think there will be a a massive update to make this UI more modern.

dcx4610

It's refreshing to me. Does your phone play music on the main screen? How about any tablets? It's cheesy to me and made Nintendo seem goofy. I think it's one of the best UIs Nintendo has ever had and better than any system correctly. Minimalist and perfect.

I actually prefer it without any music to be honest. The only way I can see them making all parties happy is they added a toggle at this point. I disliked the Wii U system menu music and the eShop chimes.

My Vita had background music that I eventually turned off.

I do miss the eShop catchy tunes though, they were the best.

It's refreshing to me. Does your phone play music on the main screen? How about any tablets? It's cheesy to me and made Nintendo seem goofy. I think it's one of the best UIs Nintendo has ever had and better than any system correctly. Minimalist and perfect.

You're probably the only person who thought it was goofy. It was charming as hell. And FYI, the PS4 and Vita OS have it as well. These aren't phones, they're video game devices.

Crazyorloco

Yeah at first it was weird to me, but now that use it, I actually prefer how it is. And I think it's helping keep the system nice and quick. I love how quick it is. No lag. No loading.

Paz

I love that my PS4 and Vita and past Nintendo consoles play music in their OS. I love it even more with my custom themes playing the REZ Credits music or the FF 7 theme.

The switch is a lot closer to those devices than it is my phone.

Therefore a joke to be said here, but I'd rather not derail the thread.

Yeah, not having music is a bummer considering Nintendo implemented really nice sound tones. I think there will be a a massive update to make this UI more modern.

More modern? I think the main complain here is that it is too modern. Sterile and minimal UIs are the norm on Smartphones and apps. If anything, I hope Nintendo can have themes like the PS4 or it's own 3DS. But I honestly liked what I saw, it's very sleek and seems efficient

watershed

Banned
The whole UI, while snappy and easy to use, is incredibly basic. I do miss the soothing menu music and upbeat eshop music. I hope Nintendo updates these small details in the future.

btrboyev

Complete lack of anything that made the Wii and Wii UI is gone.

I can't even believe there isn't even a way to communicate with your online friends. Not even basic messaging. Completely unacceptable. Even the Wii could do that day one.

More modern? I think the main complain here is that it is too modern. Sterile and minimal UIs are the norm on Smartphones and apps. If anything, I hope Nintendo can have themes like the PS4 or it's own 3DS. But I honestly liked what I saw, it's very sleek and seems efficient
Err, perhaps I used the wrong word. I was thinking of it being in par with PS4 and X1 in terms of quality of life editions. It is indeed modern.

Complete lack of anything that made the Wii and Wii UI is gone.

I can't even believe there isn't even a way to communicate with your online friends. Not even basic messaging. Completely unacceptable. Even the Wii could do that day one.

...What? The Wii can't still even do it in Year 11. Unless you're talking about the Wii U and even then it was contrieved and through Miiverse.

Err, perhaps I used the wrong word. I was thinking of it being in par with PS4 and X1 in terms of quality of life editions. It is indeed modern.

Ah I see. Still, I don't think the PS4 UI is a good example of QoL as it's very busy and has a tendency to hide icons as you go use more stuff. I guess folders fixed some of that but it sure took a long time to come

tribal24

Banned
I don't mind this. What really felt barebbone
s was the eshop selection I obviously knew launch titles were low but I was expecting at least a few surprises on the store be it classics or indies.

Crazyorloco

If they add music, pictures, animations, and stuff in an update and the system is slower (like the 3DS/Wii U) i'm going to blame all of you.

I don't mind this. What really felt barebbone
s was the eshop selection I obviously knew launch titles were low but I was expecting at least a few surprises on the store be it classics or indies.

Now this is something I want them to change. I agree.

Sushigod7

When the Wii U launched everyone complained about how slow the loads were etc I'm not surprised they cut the UI down so much. I'm ok with it as is but they will probably update it as time goes.

Lylo

Guys, why do you think Nintendo is "giving" us 6 months of free "trial" until they start charging for online play and other services? The answer is simple, they know that the OS and services are bare bones right know. Give it exactly 6 months and we will have better services, themes, menu music and all the cool stuff that people want.

Very likely there will be themes down the road that will have music in the background.

No eShop music is a legit tragedy though.

Hope there are updates coming later on. The Wii and Wii U interface was extremely charming. I like the clean look of the Switch but it feels lifeless.

btrboyev

Guys, why do you think Nintendo is "giving" us 6 months of free "trial" until they start charging for online play and other services? The answer is simple, they know that the OS and services are bare bones right know. Give it exactly 6 months and we will have better services, themes, menu music and all the cool stuff that people want.

6 months of fee trial because there is very little anybody can actually do online. Few online games that aren't even broken. No messaging..nothing.

Gnomist

Listen: this is not a serious complaint about the system.

Wrong. :p

I completely agree that the lack of whimsy like the 'fraidy cat from the Wii menu or the unique music for different sections of the UI or having a downloaded game show up as a wrapped present is a big bummer. While the current UI is functional it has zero personality. Right now I'm hopeful that at some point in the future when the UI gets updated and becomes more robust that they'll spend time adding all the small touches that they've been doing for the last few systems.

Jubenhimer

To be honest, I'm not too bummed by the lack of UI music. In fact, I never really expected there to be any UI music. The UI doesn't really feel any less Nintendo-like though since there are still Easter Eggs scattered throughout, like the lockscreen, or Amelia.

However, it would be nice if there were different background tracks we can set for the home screen.

The Switch is was obviously rushed out of the gate to make some sort of fiscal year mark. I really like the simple OS, but yeah, it needs music and way more apps/demos/features.

noqtic

Don't really care music in the dash, but it is disappointing to have no eshop jingles (I love those).

There should be eShop music, but I don't need UI music overall. The Switch is beautifully modern, and its minimalistic, extremely functional UI matches this aesthetic beautifully. While not in use, I would just leave it on my TV permanently if I could.

NickMitch

Sure it's a bit stale BUT everything is so fast. Resuming games, taking screenshots, booting up, all of that is quick and snappy..I Wouldn't want that to be compromised for the sake of "flair".

kennyamr

I kinda like the barebones UI.
It is super fast and gets the job done pretty well.

I gotta say thought that I love some of the PS4 themes that I have gotten from preordering from PSN. Nier Automata's PS4 theme has an amazing song for example, I just leave it on most of the time and enjoy it for a bit.

Top Bottom