• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of music and vibes on the Switch's UI is genuinely upsetting to me

Rizific

it simple and fast. the quicker and easier it is for me to get into a game, the better. i didnt buy it to bs around in menus all day and listen to menu music. im ok with this.

nkarafo

I agree OP. These tunes gave the Wii a lot of personality. I imagine the Switch feels like it's dead inside (i don't have one).

Kyuur

Personally, its great and shows a bit of a transition in sound design for Nintendo. You can see it in Zelda too; moving away from loud demonstrations of melodies to more reserved ambiance, reserving sound for higher impact in certain instances. The UI itself has a number of unique chimes and tones for entering different sections despite being silent when nothing is going on.

Santar

As charming as the music on the Wii U's menus were it got grating after a while for me so I'm actually kinda pleased that they let the OS be quiet this time.

If you are genuinely upset by the lack of music in the Switch's UI, then you need to get out into the real world and experience life. There are things out there to be truly upset by, but a lack of system music when you play your vidya games is not one of them...

antibolo

Banned
The various clicking sounds more than make up for the lack of music.

Seriously, have you noticed how every UI element has different clicks when interacting with them?

They're great. Solid sound design from Nintendo as always. Only this time the emphasis is on sound effects rather than background music.

I definitely miss the eShop sounds. There is a way that music can add to the brand experience which is not annoying. On the base UI layer no music is fine, but popping into the e-shop and having that Nintendo touch would be great. Otherwise I'm loving the quick simple UI. Its so nice to jump in and out of a game within seconds.

If you are genuinely upset by the lack of music in the Switch's UI, then you need to get out into the real world and experience life. There are things out there to be truly upset by, but a lack of system music when you play your vidya games is not one of them...

We are on a videogame enthusiast forum...and they don't even sound genuinely upset.

Dremorak

Banned
Try pressing either trigger or the sticks in when unlocking the system OP ;P

You're welcome.

Also I love the noise it makes when you look at your profile

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When the Wii U launched everyone complained about how slow the loads were etc I'm not surprised they cut the UI down so much. I'm ok with it as is but they will probably update it as time goes.

There is a happy medium of good speed, charm, and UI... people may not like it but both out of game XMB in PS3 and the PS Vita OS were both more fully featured and faster than the Wii U OS.

Top Bottom