• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of music and vibes on the Switch's UI is genuinely upsetting to me

Choomp

Banned
Wrong. :p

I completely agree that the lack of whimsy like the 'fraidy cat from the Wii menu or the unique music for different sections of the UI or having a downloaded game show up as a wrapped present is a big bummer. While the current UI is functional it has zero personality. Right now I'm hopeful that at some point in the future when the UI gets updated and becomes more robust that they'll spend time adding all the small touches that they've been doing for the last few systems.

I didn't really know how to phrase it, but what I meant is it's not really hindering my enjoyment of the console in any way. It's just something that I'm upset isn't there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Coming from Wii-U this is a massive upgrade. It solves all of those issues. It's super fast, responsive and never gets in the way. Some eshop music would be nice but I'll gladly sacrifice it for fluidity. The interface is exactly what the system needed. The compete antithesis of previous Nintendo UI design.

It's significantly faster than PS4 and Xbox One as well which is great. It does a lot less, sure, but it feels very pure. It's all about the games.

FSLink

Banned
Coming from Wii-U this is a massive upgrade. It solves all of those issues. It's super fast, responsive and never gets in the way. Some eshop music would be nice but I'll gladly sacrifice it for fluidity. The interface is exactly what the system needed. The compete antithesis of previous Nintendo UI design.

If anything I would like some music with custom themes and maybe certain eShop events (Luigi's Mansion music for like Halloween sales and stuff). But I do welcome it being different from the past. I'm more annoyed at the lack of functionality at the moment but it's to be expected at launch.

Yeah I absolutely agree.

I'm sure they'll add themes for purchase in the future, with music.

Very likely there will be themes down the road that will have music in the background.

No eShop music is a legit tragedy though.

Yup the fact there will almost certainly be the ability to have theme music makes the like an official one glaring.

They definitely need an Eshop tune. I can live without constant new ones like Wii U or even the holiday/major game theme changes even though those were awesome. I just need a music track.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Meh. They make up for it by honking to wake up your Switch. No, seriously; press the right trigger three times when you're waking it up.

Choomp

Banned
I can understand why Nintendo would do this, but I just fucking miss so much the uniqueness of their weird apps. Check out all this stuff, these are my favorite things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHitugtDCmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkX80a9Uj4g&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sou-N8f_6Rg&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP70ioijK6U

The Wii and the Wii U had some weird apps, but man, they were super chill and I loved going on them. Something about them was just so "Nintendo" you know?

Also, just going through that YouTube channel, if you want some fucking sads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHRCnBc4QFs&t=30s

This is not related but is everyone else having to sign in every time they access the eShop? I have to put in my password every time.

I like the UI a lot, and love the speed. But no music on the e-shop is super disappointing for sure. Here's to hoping it gets added in the future!

Solo Act

First thing I did on the PS4 was disable system music, so I would say that I prefer a silent interface. I did enjoy the eShop music on Wii U though, so wish they'd reconsider the silence in there.

Tygamr

I don't really hate the absence of the music, but I wouldn't mind if they added some kind of ambient background music. The PS4 has some nice menu music. 3DS wasn't bad either.

Really don't want any annoying repetitive beats added though. I'd rather just have silence.

Its pretty early but I'm sure they'll get there. The fact that there are options for a black or white theme gives me hope that there will be a theme shop sometime in the future.

I don't really mind it too much. I like all the ditty's and sounds effects though, I do think they give the console a personality. Nonetheless, I think it would be great if they added some sort of music to the store, I really liked the Wii Store one.

Vitacat

I love how FAST the Switch UI is. It's pure lightning. That part they really got right. I also like the look. It's very clean.

But right now it's also very empty and barebones. Hopefully we'll see a TON of features, apps, and more personality added to it in the next few months.

Yes, it's the least playful UI since boot up animations or UI on consoles exist (it is zero playful to be honest), especially when talking about Nintendo. Not even ambient tunes. But it is so super snappy that I don't really care. At least at the moment.

I definitely miss having menu/eshop music. The hardware feels great, but without that bit of Nintendo charm it feels dangerously close to a budget Android tablet...

No Nintendo OS music is weird, but fine. The sound effects are cool. No eShop music is unacceptable, however. I wish we could get an "Iwata Asks" type roundtable discussion on the design of the system.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
stop stop stop stop stop stop!!!!

why are people citing things that slow down the UI as "missing".

The think I LOVE about the Switch UI is that there's no bullshit. No 5000 video apps I won't use.. 5000 music apps and social media apps. No music/video/animations slowing the UI down.

Frankly the thing people in here are put off by.. is the primary thing I love about the UI. No BS. No slowness. Pick your game and go.

No Nintendo OS music is weird, but fine. The sound effects are cool. No eShop music is unacceptable, however. I wish we could get an "Iwata Asks" type roundtable discussion on the design of the system.
Would be incredibly boring. "We wanted it to be clean, fast and snappy because our last two os' have been ugly, horrible, and slow. The end".

Red Devil

Not really missing it all, didn't like the menu music on Wii U either way. Also I prefer the minimalistic look of the UI which is why I think the Wii one was better than the Wii U one even if the latter wasn't all that bloated anyway.

Vesves

Neo Member
I think it could use a tad more music too. Something easy for eShop browsing, at least (though maybe they'll add music when there's actually more there to browse in general). All of the sounds as they stand now are great though. Nintendo's sound effects have always been fantastic and memorable to me. I don't mind the lack of main menu music. If they wanted to add something, I'm sure it would be fine and I'd love it, but I don't miss it. I'm in agreement with the people who like the minimalist look to it. It's clean and modern but still has that Nintendo feel.

It's refreshing to me. Does your phone play music on the main screen? How about any tablets? It's cheesy to me and made Nintendo seem goofy. I think it's one of the best UIs Nintendo has ever had and better than any system correctly. Minimalist and perfect.

My thoughts exactly. As someone who also turns off the PS4 menu music/noise, I think this is fantastic. I'm actually surprised there are so many people who feel the opposite.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I like the UI. Clean, fast and sleek. Except... there's nothing to do in it. Absolutely nothing. Except for launching games, I guess. Sometimes I will press the home button just to... I don't really know. Be in the menu for a bit? I might hop into the eShop quickly, but that's about as barebones and has nothing new since the last time I was there. Back out we go. But OH, the user icon has a number on it! Let's check! Yay, a friend is online! So... what now? I can't send him a message, can't do anything at all except see that he's playing Zelda. So I guess I'll go back to doing that too. That Zelda tile is literally the only useful thing in the entire UI.

shanafan

I can do without music if I can continue to just turn on the Switch and hop right back into a suspended game in mere seconds.

It's significantly faster than PS4 and Xbox One as well which is great. It does a lot less, sure, but it feels very pure. It's all about the games.

Would you complain if Nintendo added the ability to stream Spotify in-game?

smisk

I always liked the shop/menu music on past consoles, but after the Wii U being incredibly slow to do anything, I'll take responsive and quick over charming.

dealer-

stop stop stop stop stop stop!!!!

why are people citing things that slow down the UI as "missing".

The think I LOVE about the Switch UI is that there's no bullshit. No 5000 video apps I won't use.. 5000 music apps and social media apps. No music/video/animations slowing the UI down.

Frankly the thing people in here are put off by.. is the primary thing I love about the UI. No BS. No slowness. Pick your game and go.

Yep I love it too. I said in another thread. No sign in, no profile, no achievements. It's really old school, which is not to everyone's liking. I also loathe OS music.

Somnid

Are some of you seriously suggesting music is some sort of computational bottle-neck?

Nintendo's previous consoles have been ace with music, especially the shop. I'm pretty disappointed as well.

Nerazar

Nintendo will sell us those tunes ;)

But until then I'm quite happy with the UI and everything. Yes, it's very non-Nintendo compared to Wii / (3)DS, but they need to take a step into a different direction. The minimalist approach is great given the overblown UIs before.

However, I think that they will add more features later on like folders, themes and music. I expect a Summer update somehow or at least something to go with Mario Kart 8 DLX.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep I love it too. I said in another thread. No sign in, no profile, no achievements. It's really old school, which is not to everyone's liking. I also loathe OS music.

Hm? There's both sign in and profiles (users). Do you mean how it launches directly into the menu? My PS4 does that too. And the Switch actually doesn't. It has that start/lock screen, even in docked mode. It's quick to get past though.

I'm kind of torn on this one. I loved the music on 3DS/Wii-U, but I can't say I'm missing them on Switch. It feels like the UI grew up a bit and left the music behind. That being said, they still keep some of that playfulness via the little sounds that play when you unlock with certain buttons or select certain options.

I dunno... The thing I miss the most are themes but it seems like they'll come in due time.

Top Bottom