• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

B33

Banned
The game's protracted development time was due to technical issues and hardware limitations.

12 hours works for me.

graybot

Still worried

Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me, but I seem to recall very positive early thoughts on The Order in the days prior to release...

III-V

12 hours is fine, impressions sound warm but not overly enthusiastic either, likely due to unrealistic hype train expectations. Hopefully Pro fixes the framerate.

Still worried

Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me, but I seem to recall very positive early thoughts on The Order in the days prior to release...
I keep seeing ppl say this but the order was so mixed, the hype Came from the reveal everything after was a mixed bag

12 hours is fine, impressions sound warm but not overly enthusiastic either, likely due to unrealistic hype train expectations. Hopefully Pro fixes the framerate.
I think most people's expectations are "please be a good Ueda game". I'm not really seeing unrealistic hype in these threads

watershed

Banned
I hate to say it but the long development time killed my enthusiasm for this game. That and the fact that I don't have much time to game these days makes this a likely pass for me. I'm still super interested in Ueda's world building though and the connections/lore ties to Ico and Sotc.

III-V

I think most people's expectations are "please be a good Ueda game". I'm not really seeing unrealistic hype in these threads

Right, I am saying that reviews are warm but not overly enthusiastic in an effort to spurn the hype train from gaining too much steam.

As much as I love Ico and SOTC, I really cant find the excuse to spend $60 on a 12 hour game when I know its probably going to be reduced in a very short amount of time, sorry Team Ico :/

Mezoly

Still worried

No man. The Order pre-release had the most vitriol conversation around any game I can remember. I specifically remember all the 24fps cinematic comments and the leaked entire gameplay from YouTube. And from the press wise, Colin Moriarty on IGN back then heavily criticized the game when he previewed it.

renzolama

I'm interested to see more about the SotC comparisons. As someone who loves SotC and feels indifferent to Ico, the reason I haven't been more excited about TLG is that I can't see much potential for the aspects I loved about SotC being present in TLG. What I enjoyed most about SotC was the feeling of being so small in contrast to the colossi; I don't know how you could express that in a game where your companion is also a giant creature. Maybe I just haven't seen the right gameplay footage/trailers to illustrate this.

More impressions have popped up on gamefaqs from someone who finished the game.

Verrrry positive.

For those who don't want to click in fear of spoilers (no matter how minor) and just want more hype fuel, it's their new favorite game in the "trilogy," top-3 of all time, and it took them 15 hours to complete.

Svejk

Oh man.. just pre-ordered on psn. Said it should begin downloading on 12/4.. This is really it.. it's really happening, isn't it!
Cant say I'm impressed with the free theme it came with though. Kinda slacked in that department.

Ostinatto

For those who don't want to click in fear of spoilers (no matter how minor) and just want more hype fuel, it's their new favorite game in the "trilogy," top-3 of all time, and it took them 15 hours to complete.

Thanks a lot, there is no way im gonna enter to gamefaqs forums xD

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Still worried

Almost every game has early positive buzz from people that paid money for early copies. Even Devil's Third. Don't underestimate the honeymoon phase.

Almost every game has early positive buzz from people that paid money for early copies. Even Devil's Third. Don't underestimate the honeymoon phase.
How is it different than buying and playing the game regularly? These are people getting their preorder early or getting the game from stores that broke street date or whatnot

renzolama

Almost every game had early positive buzz from people that paid money for it. Even Devil's Third. Don't underestimate the honeymoon phase.

Also, don't underestimate crowd psychology.

'This game has major flaws x, y, and z, which I will discuss in my review, but ultimately I'll rate it 9/10 because the previous critics set the center point at 10/10 and if I rate it at 6/10 my inbox will be filled with death threats'

Also, don't underestimate crowd psychology.

'This game has major flaws x, y, and z, which I will discuss in my review, but ultimately I'll rate it 9/10 because the previous critics set the center point at 10/10'
I don't think that's how that works, both psychologically or from a writer's perspective

I hate to say it but the long development time killed my enthusiasm for this game. That and the fact that I don't have much time to game these days makes this a likely pass for me. I'm still super interested in Ueda's world building though and the connections/lore ties to Ico and Sotc.
why would it releasing later than expected kill any hype? That just never made any sense to me. "I was excited to play this game 4 years ago, but now my taste has changed?" lol

Any if you don't have as much time, wouldn't shorter, 10-12 hour games benefit you?

renzolama

I don't think that's how that works, both psychologically or from a writer's perspective

Well, I don't have a degree in psychology and I'm not a professional writer so I certainly can't argue definitively otherwise. It's just my opinion based on watching trends. I'm exaggerating it for sake of discussion, but it certainly seems to be the case historically that early reviews/impressions of a game can play a significant part in setting the overall tone of public opinion. Otherwise big publishers would not be limiting review copies and paying youtube influencers to give the game positive press before release, corporations don't generally throw away marketing money without the data to support its effectiveness. And regardless of what anyone would like to believe (including the writers themselves), critics are part of the public just like everyone else and their views are subject to the same marketing tricks.

I don't mean to derail the thread so I'll leave my response with the caveat that I'm not specifically referring to any bias with TLG

Servbot24

Banned
Well, I don't have a degree in psychology and I'm not a professional writer so I certainly can't argue definitively otherwise. It's just my opinion based on watching trends. I'm exaggerating it for sake of discussion, but it certainly seems to be the case historically that early reviews/impressions of a game can play a significant part in setting the overall tone of public opinion. Otherwise big publishers would not be limiting review copies and paying youtube influencers to give the game positive press before release, corporations don't generally throw away marketing money without the data to support its effectiveness.

I suppose things like that are possible, but I'd say that more often than not the most simple and most likely explanation for a good score is that the reviewer had a good time.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Still worried

Yeah, I'm shutting the fuck up for this one.

I suppose things like that are possible, but I'd say that more often than not the most simple and most likely explanation for a good score is that the reviewer had a good time.
Basically. I find it odd how often it's difficult for people to believe the simplest most common reason of "the person enjoyed it"

renzolama

I think that ultimately you're right, critics have an easier time forgiving flaws if they find themselves enjoying the game on a moment-to-moment basis. So the impact of crowd psychology is probably further minimized by that factor than my response allowed for.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I am slowly just becoming more positive on this game, at least when it comes to the 'Team Ico' fans, cause all impressions lead to believe this is an absolute complete delivery on what people liked on the prior 2 games. All the stupid 'ah its like ps3 gameplay' blah bullshit or whatever wont mean anything to people that enjoy just immersing themselves in the world and have accepted the control style. And the fact the game seems longer than the others is a bonus positive i think.

Old school adventure gamers will probably think this is the second coming.

At least that is the hope, there is still potential of course for bad design on puzzles and really bad creature AI. But at this point im hopeful.

Probably gonna get this, Steep and DR4 at Best Buy next week with the Buy 2 get 1 deal.

Looking forward to playing TLG after hearing the impressions!

PlayerOne

Banned
As much as I love Ico and SOTC, I really cant find the excuse to spend $60 on a 12 hour game when I know its probably going to be reduced in a very short amount of time, sorry Team Ico :/

Yes, because the longer the game is, the more it's worth 60 bucks.

Thank god for games like far cry and ass crees with all their padded quests and filler content. Those bring my playtime up by 10 hours, which makes it all the more worthy of 60 bucks.

dreamfall

Give me 10 solid hours Ueda. I'm very excited! Absolutely keeping the faith that this will be one of those incredible experiences. I'm ready for the world!

PlayerOne

Banned
I am slowly just becoming more positive on this game, at least when it comes to the 'Team Ico' fans, cause all impressions lead to believe this is an absolute complete delivery on what people liked on the prior 2 games. All the stupid 'ah its like ps3 gameplay' blah bullshit or whatever wont mean anything to people that enjoy just immersing themselves in the world and have accepted the control style. And the fact the game seems longer than the others is a bonus positive i think.

Old school adventure gamers will probably think this is the second coming.

At least that is the hope, there is still potential of course for bad design on puzzles and really bad creature AI. But at this point im hopeful.

It doesn't even make any sense what ps2 gameplay is.

If theyre looking to control a little boy like they would Nathan Drake or Kratos then they've no chance of writing a proper critique of the game.

12 hours is perfect for someone who is desperately trying to keep up with the plethora of games he has to finish. I'm juggling games like Watch Dogs 2 and Persona 4. I don't need another 60+ hour game.

Length seems perfectly fine. I got this warm feeling with the previews, i know this will be special.

Hope it's well recieved.

Top Bottom