• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian (TRICO) announced for PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyp

El-Suave said:
Miller's Crossing theme won't be in the game even though it's still in the trailer I guess? I'm surprised they used it again instead of some original score. It fits so well and it's so beautiful - do you think there's a chance they could keep it? Edit: The more I think about it - they probably just use it as trailer material - still it fits so beautifully and I wouldn't want to miss it.

What's the reasoning behind this? Why couldn't it? The fact that they're still using it in this official trailer is more of an indication that it will be than not.

jonnyp

I wonder why the creature has such a 'realistic' look, shading and lighting, but the boy looks a lot more cartooney with very plain shading effects. I like it though :)

Johnas

jonnyp said:
What's the reasoning behind this? Why couldn't it? The fact that they're still using it in this official trailer is more of an indication that it will be than not.

Well, Ico and SotC both had extremely impressive original scores. It would be a very surprising turn of events if they licensed something like that for the third game.

Not impossible of course, but unlikely.

Teetris said:
Gorgeous. Trico alone made E3 worth it.

Agreed.

jonnyp said:
I wonder why the creature has such a 'realistic' look, shading and lighting, but the boy looks a lot more cartooney with very plain shading effects. I like it though :)

If you go back and look and ICO and SoTC, all the "human" characters have a look like that. I think it's just a way of making them pop off the screen more.

ghibli99

This thread would be over 20 pages already if the title actually said this was from the ICO/SOTC team.

So awesome! This and SMG2 just made this E3 for me.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Holtz said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/16iz9c4.jpg
Glorious. Simply glorious.
My eyes are tearing up. This is simply too much. Fuck every other game, they're nothing more than over produced empty shells of wasted time. This is a video game.

jett

D-Member
SO GOOD. SO GOOD.

SO GOOD.

I thought it was funny that they virtually recreated the leaked trailer. :p It looked amazing then, it looks even better now. Holy pewpz.

RyuHayate

Its debut trailer contains some of the most endearing footage of a game I've seen in a long time.

I can already tell that keeping a box of Kleenex close by just in case they decide to kill off that creature will be an additional requirement in order to properly experience a Team ICO title.

wouwie

Just wondering (since i never played a team ico game before): is this 100% ingame footage? Is the beast really going to look like that while playing? Or is this cutscene material? Is there really going to be interaction with that beast in the game?

Johnas

wouwie said:
Just wondering (since i never played a team ico game before): is this 100% ingame footage? Is the beast really going to look like that while playing? Or is this cutscene material?

The game will look like this (maybe even better). Team Ico games use the in-game engine for cutscenes.

BeeDog

Jesus motherfucking christ, the creature almost looks real, perched up on that little tower. The lighting is AMAZING.

Issun23

wouwie said:
Just wondering (since i never played a team ico game before): is this 100% ingame footage? Is the beast really going to look like that while playing? Or is this cutscene material?

In-game. There are gameplay sections in there too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
El-Suave said:
Miller's Crossing theme won't be in the game even though it's still in the trailer I guess? I'm surprised they used it again instead of some original score. It fits so well and it's so beautiful - do you think there's a chance they could keep it? Edit: The more I think about it - they probably just use it as trailer material - still it fits so beautifully and I wouldn't want to miss it.
Lots of movies for example, use entirely different music in their trailers than what's used in the released movie. I'm sure the music here is just to convey that trailer atmosphere, just as you said. If the game is going for the kind of atmosphere seen in Ico, the sweeping score like this probably won't have much place during the game anyways. In Ico, there was music at the beginning and the end of the game, and during the game atmospheric sounds of nature.

wouwie said:
Just wondering (since i never played a team ico game before): is this 100% ingame footage? Is the beast really going to look like that while playing? Or is this cutscene material? Is there really going to be interaction with that beast in the game?
For sure in-game. They use various cinematic camera angles in their games, not just during cutscenes, but during gameplay as well. This looked like 100% realtime footage for sure, and you can expect to be able to climb up on the beast, jump from it etc. just like shown in the trailer - as they had similar mechanics in their previous games.

LowParry

wouwie said:

In game.

Zenogias

Neo Member
Fucking hell....just watching that trailer made me all misty-eyed...I feel like I MUST play the game just to make sure that the griffin-thing doesn't get hurt...

I said wow.

I know we all expected the boy to look better, but I couldn't believe how vastly improved the griffin looked. The feathers and in particular its face look so much better. The bridge collapse looked jaw dropping too. So did the animation, on both the boy and the creature.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more gameplay in that trailer than we suspect. Ueda's usually very adventurous with his camera work, even if he doesn't always pull it off completely.

edit: Needless to say, game of the show.

jonnyp

SolidSnakex said:
If you go back and look and ICO and SoTC, all the "human" characters have a look like that. I think it's just a way of making them pop off the screen more.

I know but I thought that would've had more to do with hardware limitation than anything else :)

I have to say that this is the game of the gen for me. I have played both Ico and SotC but this is just... I am speechless. Never once in my gaming life (29 years old, started on Atari) have I actually had emotional attachment to a character/game, this trailer changed that. I am simply amazed...

eso76

i should say i liked the look of the cat thing better in the leaked footage; simplier, more streamlined, less rat like.

Other than that...there's no other developer like Ueda. His games are the closest we ever got to "Miyazaki in the videogame industry". Holy shit, this is so beautiful.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I also love/hate how they announced this with not much fanfare, just like Ico was back in the E3 2000. Show the trailer, that's it. Ico back then didn't caught the eye of too many people because of that, it came as a real surprise to many.

eso76 said:
i should say i liked the look of the cat thing better in the leaked footage; simplier, more streamlined, less rat like.

Other than that...there's no other developer like Ueda. His games are the closest we ever got to "Miyazaki in the videogame industry". Holy shit, this is so beautiful.
The hairless ears maybe looked better in the old footage. Or maybe if the creature really grows during the game, it starts off with hairless ears, and less feathers early on, who knows.

Issun23 said:
The boy looks a bit like Yorda. Has a certain glow like her.
Looks like Ico/Yorda kind of stylized shader is used on him, all for the better. He looked very awkward in the old trailer.

dmshaposv

Issun23 said:
The boy looks a bit like Yorda. Has a certain glow like her.

14wy2cl.png

Where can I find a higher-res version of the art in your avatar. It looks gorgeous!

TalonsOfJustice

Neo Member
Fuck Peter Molyneux and his dog bullshit. This game sets the bar for bringing compassion into a video game. Out of all the rehashed bullcrap nowadays, finally get to see something different for a change.

Mamesj

Banned
Zenogias said:
Fucking hell....just watching that trailer made me all misty-eyed...I feel like I MUST play the game just to make sure that the griffin-thing doesn't get hurt...

I hate to say it but that thing is definitely dying in the end.

Johnas

I really like how TLG truly feels like a sequel to Ico and SotC, combining elements of both games.

I can only hope this game will somehow make it out late '09.

TalonsOfJustice said:
Fuck Peter Molyneux and his dog bullshit. This game sets the bar for bringing compassion into a video game. Out of all the rehashed bullcrap nowadays, finally get to see something different for a change.

Thank you! I am sick of Peter M. Shut up and deliver like the Ico games do. They don't run to the media saying how they are going to do A) B) C), they just DO IT. This game I believe will be the game of the Generation. It simply is astounding!

We all know the thing is going to die in the end lol

You know why I think its so emotional, at least for me, is because the face of the beast is almost cat like. It reminds me a great deal of my own cat and the thought of something happening to something I cared deeply for is...difficult.

Afrikan

I just want a gif of when the kid is sleeping in between the Griffin's feathers and the Griffin is looking around..... So Powerful, this game will be.

Also that one part where the kid jumps from one pillar to the other.....the outside scene... the lighting is just ridiculous!

edit- there it is...thankx SolidSnakex

Mamesj

Banned
TheChillyAcademic said:
We all know the thing is going to die in the end lol

You know why I think its so emotional, at least for me, is because the face of the beast is almost cat like. It reminds me a great deal of my own cat and the thought of something happening to something I cared deeply for is...difficult.

...it's emotional because it's cute....

SolidSnakex said:
I still think that the boy could be the one that bites it. Which would leave the creature alone in that world.

the cat thing and the boy climb up into what they think is the land of everlasting happiness, but is actually just the map for SotC...Wander jumps out and kills the cat thing.

Brannon

Mamesj said:
I hate to say it but that thing is definitely dying in the end.

Yep. It's the only way to end this game. Ico had a questionable ending(did Yorda live or die?), Shadow had a clear cut ending in that Agro lived, so either the Guardian or the Boy will have to most certainly die.

There will be blood.

EDIT: I pick the Boy; the Guardian already took damage (wings)

Mamesj said:
...it's emotional because it's cute....

the cat thing and the boy climb up into what they think is the land of everlasting happiness, but is actually just the map for SotC...Wander jumps out and kills the cat thing.

Shut up! Its both! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom