• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

Eggbok

Is it ever explained why Anakins lightsaber "called" Rey like a wand from Harry Potter? Just weird to me that it has never happened before that since Jedi make their own sabers.

-griffy-

Banned
Sephzilla's -griffy-'s official thoughts on Rey's parentage and probability of it being true

Rey is Luke's daughter
Likelihood: 70%
Reason: Everything in The Force Awakens points to Rey being a Skywalker. The Skywalker family lightsaber calls to her through The Force. She's a talented pilot just like Anakin and Luke. She has visions of Luke in her dreams. In her Force Vision, every character seen or heard in the vision is related to Luke in some way (Vader, Kylo, and Luke are all heard in the vision. Obi-Wan and Yoda both trained Luke). And the core Episode movies are pretty heavily focused on the Skywalker family.

Rey is a Kenobi
Likelihood: 10%
Reason: It would take too much time to explain how Obi-Wan fathered a child despite the canon seemingly showing he never had time for that. Plus how the child of a Kenobi flew under the radar and fathered a grandchild in Rey

Rey is a Palpatine
Likelihood:0%
Reason: Yeah, lets take the first female lead character in Star Wars and make her related to the super-villain of the franchise. Bright idea.

Rey is Anakin reinarnated
Likelihood: 0%
Reason: Yeah, lets take the first female lead character in Star Wars and make her a reincarnated version of a child murder and villain in multiple movies. Bright idea.

Rey is a clone of Luke
Likelihood: 5%
Reason: Yeah, lets take the first female lead character in Star Wars and make her a gender swapped version of the male hero from the first trilogy. Bright idea.

Rey is a nobody
Likelihood: 15%
Reason: It's possible she's just some random nobody who happens to be super powerful in The Force. There were way more Jedi than there ever were Skywalkers. But considering these movies are mostly about the Skywalker family, I doubt it.

Rey is Snoke who is Bobby Roberts who is Gary Whitta and also Black
Likelihood: 1000%
Reason: Because I damn well said so.

© Copyright 2017 All Rights Reserved
-griffy- ®™
Unauthorized quotes of this post will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Is it ever explained why Anakins lightsaber "called" Rey like a wand from Harry Potter?

That'll probably get laid out in the 5min expo dump/force-vision/whatever-it-ends-up-being that explains Rey's lineage, why it's important, and why Luke changes his mind (a little) about training her

or something like that.

(I'm just guessing)

But I'm pretty sure whatever the answers are regarding that force vision from TFA, they're going to be pretty quick and almost perfunctory because their purpose isn't to really answer questions, it's to explain and support whatever's going to happen AFTERWARDS.

You can get a lot of information across to an audience in about 2 minutes.

That'll probably get laid out in the 5min expo dump/force-vision/whatever-it-ends-up-being that explains Rey's lineage, why it's important, and why Luke changes his mind (a little) about training her

or something like that.

(I'm just guessing)

But I'm pretty sure whatever the answers are regarding that force vision from TFA, they're going to be pretty quick and almost perfunctory because their purpose isn't to really answer questions, it's to explain and support whatever's going to happen AFTERWARDS.

You can get a lot of information across to an audience in about 2 minutes.

Indeed. Montages are a hell of a thing.

Is that all you got? Honesty, I think this would be the most inspired lineage for her character both because it's less predictable than her being a Skywalker or a Kenobi and because it would make her a nice foil to Kylo Ren. You'd have a Jedi, whose lineage is Sith, taking on a Sith(Ren?) whose lineage is Jedi. I'll be disappointed if they don't take it there.

How about Palpatine being dead for too long?

Is it ever explained why Anakins lightsaber "called" Rey like a wand from Harry Potter? Just weird to me that it has never happened before that since Jedi make their own sabers.

The crystal in Anakin's saber is the sibling of the crystal in Kylo Ren's saber.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
After some more thought, I'm leaning towards the idea that one or both of Rey's parents were students of Luke. And they had to leave her on Jakku because they had to warn Luke about the impending Knights attack, but we're too late and died.

That would give her a connection to Luke and Kylo Ren, explain some of her force sensitivity, and make her relationship to Luke similar to his with Obi-Wan.

As always, I'm on team "They will maybe only slightly allude to Rey's backstory while keeping most of the Ahch-to narrative focus on what the heck's going on with Luke and his seclusion in trying to figure out the right balance of the Force or whatever."

Rey will obviously still grow as a character, but as a foil for Luke's own self-discovery and probably not having anything to do with bloodline or magic Force prophecies.

After some more thought, I'm leaning towards the idea that one or both of Rey's parents were students of Luke. And they had to leave her on Jakku because they had to warn Luke about the impending Knights attack, but we're too late and died.

That would give her a connection to Luke and Kylo Ren, explain some of her force sensitivity, and make her relationship to Luke similar to his with Obi-Wan.

Ben was still training with Luke about five years before TFA. Rey was dropped off on Jakku when she was less than ten and she's nineteen in TFA. It wouldn't add up unless they had a kid before the attack and abandoned her there.

Sounds like Star Wars to me!

Remember this post when I'm right.

My thoughts exactly, Toa TAK. Rey might not be Luke's daughter... but those odds aren't looking so hot to me.

But, as I also said yesterday, I really don't care either way. I trust Rian to make whatever route he's going in with Rey's lineage work.

Having them be related would be so creatively bankrupt. Lazy as fuck and shrinks the universe.

It's a terrible narrative idea.

Sounds par for course with Disney Star Wars, or rather any big budget franchise. You have a small pool of main characters and their friends and all they do is reproduce and shack up with one another (ie. Harry Potter, Boruto, etc)

Sounds par for course with Disney Star Wars, or rather any big budget franchise. You have a small pool of main characters and their friends and all they do is reproduce and shack up with one another (ie. Harry Potter, Boruto, etc)

You mean "Star Wars."

Also inb4 Bobby comes in with the "It's Lucasfilm, not Disney" line.

You mean "Star Wars."

Also inb4 Bobby comes in with the "It's Lucasfilm, not Disney" line.

Well I say Disney, because at least when Lucas was in charge, between the games and extended universe you had lots of different stories. Disney seems much more controlling and we have a drastically smaller scope. Granted they've only just started so we'll see if they allow as much freedom (although I HIGHLY doubt it)

Sounds par for course with Disney Star Wars

maxresdefault.jpg

So it's not canon

Not that canonicity matters really all that much, but if we're going to try and be granular about it I guess - there's no way Gray is allowed to write what she wrote in that book if the go-ahead wasn't given before starting.

Basically, the story group is there to make sure nobody is stepping on anyone else's feet. Which means multiple someones had to check with other someones to find out if the passage Gray wanted to write about Han & Leia & Ben that sits at a very specific point on the timeline was going to fuck with whatever it was Rian Johnson was doing on the movie being currently made.

They were told "no, it doesn't."

So she wrote what she wrote, and now her book contains details that some other writer down the line can't step on.

Well I say Disney, because at least when Lucas was in charge, between the games and extended universe you had lots of different stories. Disney seems much more controlling and we have a drastically smaller scope. Granted they've only just started so we'll see if they allow as much freedom (although I HIGHLY doubt it)

If memory serves me right, that's because Lucas didn't care much about what others did with their games, books and other EU Legends stuff. He was rather vocal about all of that stuff not being canon to the films and The Clone Wars, iirc. His mindset seemed to amount to, "Yeah, this is all just fanfiction anyway, go ahead and do as you please."

Whereas with the new EU is meant to generally be seen as canon, so long as they aren't contradicted by anything present in the films. So yeah, I can absolutely see why the creative team at Lucasfilm is a bit more careful about what they're dabbling into with the canon right now. We'll get around to more unusual time periods and lore eventually, I think.

It's kind of like what Marvel Studios had to do with their franchises; start off with what everyone knows and is relatively familiar with (i.e. Marvel -> Captain America, Iron Man, Star Wars -> Death Star, Han Solo) and then branch off into the odder parts of the universe (i.e. Marvel -> GotG, Star Wars -> KotOR (maybe?)).

Voidwolf

A theory I've read is that Rey was using this childish hairstyle on purpose ever since she arrived on Jakku in the hope that her parents would recognize her when they return. In The Last Jedi she changes hairstyles because she has finally found her father.

FTFY

-griffy-

Banned
Not that canonicity matters really all that much, but if we're going to try and be granular about it I guess - there's no way Gray is allowed to write what she wrote in that book if the go-ahead wasn't given before starting.

Basically, the story group is there to make sure nobody is stepping on anyone else's feet. Which means multiple someones had to check with other someones to find out if the passage Gray wanted to write about Han & Leia & Ben that sits at a very specific point on the timeline was going to fuck with whatever it was Rian Johnson was doing on the movie being currently made.

They were told "no, it doesn't."

So she wrote what she wrote, and now her book contains details that some other writer down the line can't step on.
The only caveat being that if they are writing Episode IX and come up with some idea that everyone likes and thinks is better, and write something into the movie that contradicts that, then the movie trumps what the book said. But if that doesn't happen, or until it does happen, then what's in the book is legit.

Something Pablo said on twitter yesterday kind of touches on this, in that if there isn't a story out there that spells out why a thing is the way it is, then there isn't a reason that thing is the way it is. His example was why Luke needed power converters in ANH. If the movie doesn't say, and there isn't a book/comic/video game that explains why, then your guess is as good as anyone's. The canon simply doesn't exist for that detail. And if a book/comic/video game does give a reason, than that is the reason.

I Feel like we won't even get parentage answers in TLJ, it's like a 50/50 toss between Rey being either a skywalker or a nobody. I also think they'll save it for ep 9 kinda like how Luke realized Leia was his sister.

I think it's a safe bet that we'll be finding out about Rey's lineage in The Last Jedi. However it might just be something that amounts to some very basic information on the matter, like Empire's "I am your father" reveal and then the finer details of how it all works out are explored more in Episode IX.

Raven117

It would have been far cooler if Rey was just a nobody. The universe just spit out someone heavy with the force. It means it could be anyone. Its a good message symbolically that its not only lineage that determines ones lot in life.

This is probably not going to be the case, but who knows. Nor does it matter all that much.

Its Star Wars, not a world religion.

Whompa02

Luke's girlfriend/wife being who?

Why do people keep assuming this when she's gotten the same exact type of audio/visions that Luke did from Obi Wan while doing the trench run in episode 4?

Couldn't she also be a Solo?

I'm not saying she's not the daughter, but I don't think it's specifically answered just yet.

I think she's got about the same chance of being a Skywalker then she has of being a Solo or a Kenobi...she could also just be a nobody.

btrboyev

Having them be related would be so creatively bankrupt. Lazy as fuck and shrinks the universe.

It's a terrible narrative idea.

Accept it or not, the mainline movies are about the Skywalker family. Probably at least through this trilogy, so just relax and calm down the tone.

Luke's girlfriend/wife being who?

Why do people keep assuming this when she's gotten the same exact type of audio/visions that Luke did from Obi Wan while doing the trench run in episode 4?

Couldn't she also be a Solo?

I'm not saying she's not the daughter, but I don't think it's specifically answered just yet.

I think she's got about the same chance of being a Skywalker then she has of being a Solo or a Kenobi.

TFA pretty much shot that option out to freeze to death in the vast emptiness of space. It'd take a hell of a lot more explaining how the hell Han and Leia lost a five year old daughter and then never have any inkling of a suspicion when Rey shows up that she seems familiar.

Luke, on the other hand, has the benefit of basically being a blank slate. We know next to nothing about what happened to him between the OT and the ST. If Rey's his daughter, I'd say there's a good chance that he never even knew he had a kid. Could very well be that he just had a fleeting romance with a lady, it fell apart and that was that as far as he knew.

Sephzilla

There's a million signs pointing to Rey being a Skywalker. They beat it over your head as much as Zack Snyder beat you over the head with Superman is Jesus stuff.

And just because Kylo is a Skywalker doesn't mean that there can't be another

tenor.gif

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
There's a million signs pointing to Rey being a Skywalker. They beat it over your head as much as Zack Snyder beat you over the head with Superman is Jesus stuff.

And just because Kylo is a Skywalker doesn't mean that there can't be another

tenor.gif

Plot twist: It's actually Rose.

Top Bottom