• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Jedi is the cover of EW's Fall Movie Preview (light spoilers)

BFIB

Yaddle's already IN Luke's cave, though.

Xm7R8.jpg

"MMMMM, on my face, you shall."

Ron Howard, savior of tarnished threads:

sDyrYS0.jpg

Guessing the lady in the backless-dress might be Emilia Clarke?

Yes I am basing this on nothing other than the fact that there's a brunette in center frame but MY BEAUTIFUL THREAD HAS BEEN YADDLED

FTF

On the other hand, we did wait a whopping six months between the second teaser and the main trailer for TFA.

Except the first TFA teaser was waaaay earlier than the first TLJ teaser (in relation to its release date). It is (somewhat) concerning that we're only 4 months till release and have only gotten 1 teaser trailer.

Except the first TFA teaser was waaaay earlier than the first TLJ teaser (in relation to its release date). It is (somewhat) concerning that we're only 4 months till release and have only gotten 1 teaser trailer.

You counting the 2014 teaser with Finn popping up from lower frame and scaring all the reaction video makers?

That was kinda like a special occasion type thing. I remember Abrams basically asking if he could do it, which is why Williams came in and scored it.

Otherwise the TFA marketing campaign seemed pretty similar to the RO campaign, which seems to be pretty much the same as the TLJ campaign.

FTF

Why is it concerning?

It's the biggest movie in the past 2 years...where are the trailers and footage and marketing push, etc, etc. It doesn't need to be on the level of TFA (as that was 10 years since the last SW movie), but things have been strangely quiet/low key up to his point imo.

He wears the helmet in the movie.

The costume basically swapped out his neckerchief & hoodie for a cape.

It's completely different. Old Ren looked like a scarecrow. Full body cloak with a straw mesh like texture that looked like something he made himself.

1200px-Celebration_Anaheim_-_The_Force_Awakens_Exhibit_%2817206794458%29.jpg

New suit has a much more modern and padded looking texture to it, definitely more manufactured design, and it stops short of his knees to show off his pants. Arm ribbing looks possibly less pronounced too but that's hard to tell.

I liked his old look a lot better. Scarecrows are scary.

New suit has a much more modern and padded looking texture to it, definitely more manufactured design, and it stops short of his knees to show off his pants. Arm ribbing looks possibly less pronounced too but that's hard to tell.

Coulda sworn the padding/ribbing stuff was being worn on Starkiller though, wasn't it?

I'm a brainfuzzled old man sometimes.

FTF

You counting the 2014 teaser with Finn popping up from lower frame and scaring all the reaction video makers?

That was kinda like a special occasion type thing. I remember Abrams basically asking if he could do it, which is why Williams came in and scored it.

Otherwise the TFA marketing campaign seemed pretty similar to the RO campaign, which seems to be pretty much the same as the TLJ campaign.

lol yeah that one.

-griffy-

Banned

TFA was marketing an entirely new era of Star Wars movies beginning. We're in it now, they just don't need that much of a lead time anymore. They waited until TFA hit Blu-ray to release a Rogue One teaser. I'd guess the earliest we'll get a Han Solo teaser is when TLJ hits theaters in December, considering it is still scheduled for May.

Here's the trailer schedule for the films so far:

TFA
Teaser: Nov 2014

Teaser 2: April 2015

Trailer: Oct 2015

Rogue One
Teaser: April 2016

Trailer: August 2016

Trailer 2: Oct 2016

TLJ
Teaser: April 2017

Trailer: Probably August 2017

Trailer 2: Probably Oct 2017

Coulda sworn the padding/ribbing stuff was being worn on Starkiller though, wasn't it?

I'm a brainfuzzled old man sometimes.

You can see the padding when he's talking to Vader's helmet on the Finalizer as well.

It does look slightly different though.

In the BTS reel it looks like he'll be wearing a cloak/jacket quite similar to Hux's in TFA at some point as well. It looks a bit different to the cape he's been wearing in promo shots but maybe it's the lighting.

kylojlljh.png

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

nah, this EW thing is really the big kickoff here, expect a trailer in a few weeks cause they got merch to sell on Force Friday, which is September 1st.

Lucas just has this stuff orchestrated to blow you out of the water by hitting you across all channels, vs drip drip drip.

plus you just had D23 a few weeks ago with new behind the scenes vid

In the BTS reel it looks like he'll be wearing a cloak/jacket quite similar to Hux's in TFA at some point as well. It looks a bit different to the cape he's been wearing in promo shots but maybe it's the lighting.

kylojlljh.png

It's the lighting. You can see the creases that distinguish it as the battered old cape from all the other shots.

Guys what if it's Vader's cape

You can see the padding when he's talking to Vader's helmet on the Finalizer as well.

It does look slightly different though.

kylojlljh.png

I think it's the same outfit, just that the cape is pulled fully across the front. In the press photo you can see it's just slightly off from that position with his left arm.

*flashbacks to "oh of course they're going to have a trailer around Force Friday" circa 2015*

Man, that stream they did back then was a total splat.

I was thinking the Sizzle Reel would satisfy that aspect but now I'm wondering.

Not expecting.

But wondering.

Although if I remember right, there wasn't really a Force Friday for Rogue One, so maybe a trailer dropped in August for that campaign because there wasn't a huge consumerist frenzy being planned at the beginning of September for that film.

*flashbacks to "oh of course they're going to have a trailer around Force Friday" circa 2015*

Okay yeah, now I'm doubting it again.

Toothless

I'm betting on new trailer with IT and final trailer with Thor: Ragnarok.

There wasn't a big August blockbuster this year, but IT can do the trick so that way there's a new one out for Kingsman, Blade Runner, etc.

Boke1879

I was thinking the Sizzle Reel would satisfy that aspect but now I'm wondering.

Not expecting.

But wondering.

Although if I remember right, there wasn't really a Force Friday for Rogue One, so maybe a trailer dropped in August for that campaign because there wasn't a huge consumerist frenzy being planned at the beginning of September for that film.

Okay yeah, now I'm doubting it again.

But this is one of the mainline films. I think they are about to go balls deep with Force Friday. Or at least I hope. I just want a new trailer.

But this is one of the mainline films. I think they are about to go balls deep with Force Friday.

But that's backwards. When there WAS a Force Friday for TFA they didn't drop a trailer. When there WASN'T a Force Friday for Rogue One - a trailer hit in August.

Then again, this is looking for patterns where there might not be any. It's not like there's any tradition to adhere to with this. It's just the marketing/selling of a movie. (and toys)

But that's backwards. When there WAS a Force Friday for TFA they didn't drop a trailer. When there WASN'T a Force Friday for Rogue One - a trailer hit in August.

Then again, this is looking for patterns where there might not be any. It's not like there's any tradition to adhere to with this. It's just the marketing/selling of a movie. (and toys)

The only real semblance of a pattern I've noticed with the marketing for TFA and Rogue One is that both films had three primary trailers for promotion; a teaser trailer, the first trailer (or "Teaser 2 in TFA's case") and then a third and final trailer in October. There were other international trailers, iirc, but the primary ones screened in theaters were the three I mentioned above.

The only real reason I can see us getting a trailer for TLJ in the coming weeks is that we're still only one teaser deep into this.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I really don't like Ren's helmet without the hood. The back is too goofy looking.

Surfinn

The only real semblance of a pattern I've noticed with the marketing for TFA and Rogue One is that both films had three primary trailers for promotion; a teaser trailer, the first trailer (or "Teaser 2 in TFA's case") and then a third and final trailer in October. There were other international trailers, iirc, but the primary ones screened in theaters were the three I mentioned above.

The only real reason I can see us getting a trailer for TLJ in the coming weeks is that we're still only one teaser deep into this.

Yeah I would honestly say we're getting the first trailer fairly soon. I mean shit we've had one TEASER and the film comes out in 4 fucking months

So the theme troughout the movie is "you should never meet your heroes". Wonder if its the same for Snoke and Kylo. Will we see some old fashioned backstabbing?

It's the lighting. You can see the creases that distinguish it as the battered old cape from all the other shots.

Guys what if it's Vader's cape
motherofgod.gif

I was joking. Mostly.
It makes sense, though. He likely has a lot of Vader's shit. Did Luke burn Vader with his cape on? I can't remember.

I'm fairly certain he's using Vader's lightsaber (Kyber) crystal. It's likely cracked and the cause of the unstable Saber.
So the theme troughout the movie is "you should never meet your heroes". Wonder if its the same for Snoke and Kylo. Will we see some old fashioned backstabbing?
It's kind of a tradition with dark siders. I'll be surprised if it doesn't.

graffix13

So when Rey turns out to NOT be a Kenobi, will Bobby be issuing an apology or will he just...vanish?

The true question.

Top Bottom