• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Man On Earth S2 |OT| Dammit, Phil - Sundays 9/8c

Mariolee

Watched the first two episodes of this season after abandoning the show midseason last season and wow. I'm enjoying this far more than I expected to. The writers really did learn from their mistakes and the show is more intriguing and hilarious than ever. This might be Parks and Rec levels of quality jump.

They should have just ditched the Tusconians, or at leeaast staved them off a little longer. I don't want another season of Tandy just fucking shit up for them.

Maddocks

Should have killed them all when he had the chance!

But redemption phil is going to be pretty funny as he tries to show everyone he changed and they will become the monsters and end up leaving him again as he no doubt will show hes a better person then those terrible people.

Grinchy

Banned
They should have just ditched the Tusconians, or at leeaast staved them off a little longer. I don't want another season of Tandy just fucking shit up for them.

I thought they were going to mirror the first season by having Carol fuck everything up for them each episode. I thought it would end with them kicking Carol out and Tandy not going after her.

Middle of the road episode after such a promising and explosive start. I genuinely believed the show had reinvented itself for the better with the first two episodes but episode three unfortunately seemed like a reversion to the lesser moments of last season. The set up in episode one seemed so promising but I'm worried now the show has devolved in to "standard sitcom in unused post-apocalyptic setting" again as it did around the middle of last season.

Phil's brother for example has been missing since the opening episode. Also the Tucson crew aren't nearly as interesting as the writers think - the episodes that focused on just Phil and Carol were superior. I know they couldn't have stretched that out over an entire season and needed more characters but Phil's house being burned down in the season opener and the sombre and emotional moment that scene conveyed never really paid off nor led to anything interesting - the sequential events since then have been disappointing.

I mean they basically just found everyone again and everything's okay. I was hoping for something more interesting than that.

It was still enjoyable.
Phil holding everyone at gunpoint was the highlight.
Hope the show improves next week.

Yeaaaaah, I hope they don't go back to the former Tucson crew being a focus, especially this soon. Also hope they're not going to retread the low points of last season.

VanWinkle

I don't know how I felt about this episode. I was very uncomfortable for a lot of it, with Carol pretending Phil is dead only to bring him back. Phil's and Carol's attitudes through it all made me quite uncomfortable. I hope that his change in attitude in the beginning of this season doesn't just stop now that he's back with the crew. I don't want him to become the butt of every joke and continue acting like an absolute fool around everyone.

I didn't mind last night's episode but my hope is that Phil (and now increasingly Carol) will be hated and ostracized by the crew until they leave again in 2-3 episodes.

Which Tucson-crew character is the worst? My vote is new Phil because his character is so straightforward and unfunny. A total bore. Melissa is probably 2nd because of the same reason. Devoid of character. At least Todd, Gail, and Erica have some personality and funny lines from time to time.

G0523

I see we're back to the cringefest. I hope this doesn't last for too long. Did anyone else think that when Phil was talking to himself about how much he missed everyone and how sorry he was that he was going to be heard through Carol's walkie-talkie? I'm surprised that didn't happen and instead what we got was Phil demanding undivided attention. I feel like if they would've heard him sounding vulnerable then they would've been more accepting of him.

Also, did the Tuscon crew also become bigger jerks? New Phil broke up with Erica minutes after he saw Carol. Erica is a big bitch anyway. And Gail is fucking crazy at this point after losing Gordon. They really should have just started over with new people.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
lol

Yeah I'm not a fan of any of the other people. I hope Phil and Carol get kicked out so it can just be them again. That won't happen though.

Quick

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Phil and Carol end up leaving again after a few episodes.

Maybe it'll have something to do with Phil finding out his brother's alive in the ISS or something.

Quick

Banned
I didn't mind last night's episode but my hope is that Phil (and now increasingly Carol) will be hated and ostracized by the crew until they leave again in 2-3 episodes.

Which Tucson-crew character is the worst? My vote is new Phil because his character is so straightforward and unfunny. A total bore. Melissa is probably 2nd because of the same reason. Devoid of character. At least Todd, Gail, and Erica have some personality and funny lines from time to time.

I think my issue with Melissa and New Phil is that they play their archetypes a little too on the nose. Melissa is the constant foil, to the point where she's never really been fleshed out enough. New Phil is the straight man, and has never really shown any unique characteristics that make him different, he's always on "hero" mode, basically.

Todd, Gail, and Erica are definitely better because they're a little more crazy, but we didn't really get to see them much.

The Phil's astronaut brother thing is just stupidly annoying. I mean, he's got to know he's up there, you just don't forget if your brother is in freaking orbit, right? And he knows he's probably not dead from the whatever-earth-outbreak.

The return to the Tucson crew is overall pretty lame, but I will admit I thought the gun scene was pretty funny.

The Phil's astronaut brother thing is just stupidly annoying. I mean, he's got to know he's up there, you just don't forget if your brother is in freaking orbit, right? And he knows he's probably not dead from the whatever-earth-outbreak.

The return to the Tucson crew is overall pretty lame, but I will admit I thought the gun scene was pretty funny.

It would help if we knew more about the virus, because it did kill the other crewmates of the ISS right? Thats why he can't fly the pod alone. They don't really explain what it is or where all the bodies when because they don't want the show to be about that, but i'd rather 50/50 that and cringe at least.

Fair point. From the space scenes I just didn't get that he was trapped in a tin can with astronauts dying horrible deaths. Not that one-man crew that doesn't know how to operate the escape equipment is plausible either, but I guess my brain just picked a random stupid scenario and ran with it. But even if the other astronauts were killed, how would Tandy know? You'd kind of assume the isolation would give him a chance, right? What would you do at the end of the world except try to contact him up there?

Toothless

Weakest episode of the season, but still good. Enjoyed Carol essentially being Season 1 Tandy. Ending was funny but kinda weak character-regression wise.

TripOpt55

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of the season, but this latest one was pretty much exactly what I didn't want from the series again.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Only just now finished last week's episode, meh. My hope is that this time the Tucson crew are the ones getting worse and worse while Tandy is actually redeemed. It looks like they were going that direction with Phil dumping Gail to get back with Carol, but they were sitting together like nothing happened at the end.

I wonder why people said the last episode is bad/dont like it. I mean it makes me feel uncomfortable too, because you kinda feel sorry for Phil, but wasnt that actually the point of the whole first season?

Maengun1

I've never minded the non Phil/Carol gang as much as a lot of people.....until tonight. This episode was just generally irritating to watch for me in a way it never was before.

Weird ending too.

Meohsix

Horrible episode. I'm really surprised they didn't accuse him of starting the fire and gave him more punishment.

big ander

I kinda liked the ickiness of tonight—it was difficult but really fit the arc of the series and I trust it will lead somewhere where the rest of the crew (who, admittedly, are all still way too boring) will recognize their thirst for punishment is cruel.

I thought Carol lit the fire at first but I'm thinking now it was Todd. he bumped a torch earlier in the ep and apparently always sneaks out at night.

Maddocks

Same issues as last season, phil needs to kill these assholes. They are now terrible, he is trying his hardest to be on their good graces but they are assholes, get a gun and pop these fools to show them you boss. When the show gets cancelled or comes to an end, he needs to go full mad max and become Immortan Phil and tell them not to get addicted to the water as he drowns them.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope Tanny breaks bad and murders all of them. In season 1 they ruined the show but they weren't shitty people, now they ruin the show and are shitty people. I just felt annoyed all throughout the episode watching these assholes feel superior to Phil for no reason.

[edit]

Haha, seems everyone felt the same. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wishes death on these assholes.

Klocker

Of all of the natural plot scenarios they could come up with as part of them being left alone on Earth.... the come up with these ridiculously contrived situations?

Smh

Had high hopes for this and it's no better than every other stupid half hour network comedy

I love how unlikable the characters are. Last season people whined about how unlikable Phil was and Will Forte said they would make changes bug still believed in their vision, so now the entire cast (except Carol and Phil) are assholes. Clearly this is calculated. Something is gonna happen to them.
Great episode.

Szeth

I hope Tanny breaks bad and murders all of them. In season 1 they ruined the show but they weren't shitty people, now they ruin the show and are shitty people. I just felt annoyed all throughout the episode watching these assholes feel superior to Phil for no reason.

Agree with all of this

ZoddGutts

Never liked the entire group since season 1 really hope they get ridden off. Were at ep 4 at this season (just 2 eps with them) and I'm already tired of them.

Yeah, last night's ep was pretty annoying. Exactly what most of us feared. The bit with the collars was pretty good, though. I still have hope that this is not permanent, though.

The thing is, if they are going to have other people on the show, they need to have personalities as interesting as Phil and Carol's. Some kind of comedic bent. Todd is okay. I really don't mind him. He has some personality and flaws. The rest of the crew is just dull as dishwater. It's not so much that they are mean to Tandy, it's just that they are boring and hang around the show's neck like an anchor.

Top Bottom