• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

ldcommando

Banned
Finally my slow ass Internet conection came through for me. It took so damn long to download the game that I was able to see this thread before playing the game. Just lost like 10 minutes.

Alchemist

Just happened to me for the first time. Weird because I had no problems yesterday and was 7 hours into the story before the bug.

it doesn´t.. the game AUTOSAVES all the time. You can´t disable it.
You have to enter the pause menu to manual save. BUT once you enter the pause menu it starts autosaving, and when the BUG/GLITCH kicks in you can´t manual save, the pause menu just stays on the "PLEASE WAIT WHILE AUTOSAVING" screen--

So you're fucked either way. Welcome to the post-apocalypse of gaming.

You don't think I've gone through this back during my QA days? Yes, developers have done this before. Whether it was in the original code or introduced through a patch or whatever, ANY sort of save issue would have been caught by QA - if not by the developer/publisher QA team, the standards guys with the platform holder would definitely catch it - the Sony TRCs explicitly cover save testing for example. And yes, anyone finding this issue would have raised as much hell as they could in saying you can't ship with this issue, but someone would enough pull could override them. "The repro rate is too low." "We can patch it later, we're too close to shelf date." Plenty of excuses I've heard along the years.

Oh man, if Naughty Dog intentionally let this through...shitstorm incoming.

flattie

Just got the problem. EU retail version on 12gb super slim. Little bit frustrating but I saved recently. Will try binning the patch...

Lime

so..

what should I do if the glitch has happened? Try to exit the game and see at what point the real save game is? Or should I let my PS3 keep running?

Marcel

We'll never know. Do you really think there's just gonna say, "Oh hey guys. We left the autosave bug in on the release candidate because we're too damn lazy. Sorry you got stuck with the results!"

sueil

Well guess I am not going to play until they fix this. That is real disappointing. Had one game going fine, started over on hard difficulty and that one keeps getting the save bug.

Dynedom

I'll definitely turn autosave off and do manual saves if that helps. Sucks to have to replay sections though. Will keep my PS3 offline to see if that changes anything.

Using a second generation 40 GB phat.

Carl

so..

what should I do if the glitch has happened? Try to exit the game and see at what point the real save game is? Or should I let my PS3 keep running?

It's up to you, but the glitch won't fix itself. If you want to try and finish it in one sitting, do it i guess. Other than that, quit as soon as you notice to minimise the amount of gameplay lost.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Might have been more on Sony than ND - it's damn hard for a 3rd party developer to get past Sony certification QA with a major save issue. Sony might get more lax with their own studios.

OK, I'm done. It seems to get worse as I go on. Game is unplayable, glitch kicks in as soon as I start playing. This was shaping up to be my favorite game of this gen and now thanks to this it became my most frustrating experience with a game in years.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Some of the reactions in here are ridiculous.

Yeah it sucks that a bug like this got through and you found you lost a couple hours of gameplay, but damn.

He is asking questions.
Sorry, yeah I see that now.

Is it possible that the game tries to make a connection when the game autosaves and it fails. I don't know why it would be doing something like that when autosaving, but maybe that's why he's asking if it works without being signed in.

Ha. I posted the link to this thread on the Naughty Dog facebook group and they deleted it immediately.

They're really not the developer that people make them out to be.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon

Yeah it sucks that a bug like this got through and you found you lost a couple hours of gameplay, but damn.

Ridiculous to expect a game that works ? People have lost quite a lot of hours because of this and have to play again for that many hours to get to the point they were at. Surely you are joking, but then again with your avatar, i don't know.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Ridiculous to expect a game that works ? Surely you are joking, but then again with your avatar, i don't know.

The game works but seeing people compare it to essentially an unplayable broken mess is a little extreme.

Ridiculous to expect a game that works ? Surely you are joking, but then again with your avatar, i don't know.

Exactly. This game is unplayable for me, as the bug comes back at the same spots - manual saves are doing nothing. I'd say a broken game warrants some frustration.

Deepo

Happened to me twice already today. Didn't lose more than 30 minutes across both though. Think I'll wait for a patch before continuing.

Another weird thing... I saw the update last night, cancelled it, and today it's not prompting me to update. And I'm pretty sure I don't have the fancy PS+ autoupdate thing enabled...

Also I'm on a 40GB second-generation Phat, and I've had no problems so far... and I believe I've manually saved once. I've also created a new save to play through the opening again, and that's working fine too.

I'm connected to the net, but not signed in to PSN.

I spent $60 on a new game. I'd expect it to, at the very least, save my progress. This is kind of a big one to miss.

Top Bottom