• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us has sold 7 million copies (prior to PS4 Remastered ed.)

Ah Gies, that dumbass. Always aiming for that special attention.

ScaredPersonalAllensbigearedbat.gif

Literally a shit head pretty funny.

He brings it on himself when he is so often wrong and seemingly never cops to being wrong even when proven as such. You need only look at the fact he stopped posting on Neogaf when he made a bet over some prediction he made or other with another Gaffer and was (predictably)proven wrong in the end and then he never paid up on the bet nor posted on here again I believe.

I don't know how anyone could sympathise with someone so thoroughly disreputable to be perfectly honest.

He weaseled out of quotes of his I highlighted simply because I omitted irrelevant speech, hand waving everything because, according to him, said omissions made it obvious I was angry. So, I am not his biggest fan and am aware of his tendency to shirk legitimate criticism. And still, the idea that I would be a dick to someone, especially because they are biased - something we all are, is a bit ridiculous to be perfectly honest.

Steroyd

Yeah I agree that's what he was trying to do. But I don't think his prediction was as crazy as if someone said TLOU will sell 7 million copies in a year and be one of Sony's top grossing games.
Especially before anyone had played through the game.

"Not as big as Uncharted" isn't a farfetched statement to make considering it's a new IP in the twilight of the console's lifespan but the "300k people and vanish" part was silly even if he narrowed it down to the states.

Plus dismissing Uncharted sales, when alot of other publishers would be jelly for those kind of sales is just facepalm.

Ricky_R

I'm not a fan of his at all, but let's be honest his predication wasn't absurd. Saying a new IP will sell less than the UC series seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

Didn't really read like a prediction. More like he's just being himself when it comes to anything Sony.

I corrected it already. (See my edit) I double-checked and that was a shipped number. Still, it sold over 1.1M week one. Hardly a "slow build" as you thought.

Compared to something like Halo or Gears of War it was. Did you own a PS3 when UC3 came out? It didn't feel the same as a Halo launch or the Gears 3 launch. People weren't talking about the same way. It didn't hit 6 million copies in a year the way TLOU sold 7 million in a year. It took over three years to get those kind of numbers, that's what I meant by a slow build. I didn't say it sold poorly, but to expect TLOU would sell 7 million in a year based off UC and Sony first party studio sales as of 2012 would be bold to say the least.

thebloo

Pewdiepie, the #1 most subscribed YouTuber, exposed this game and praised it to at least 10 million users. I'm sure he had some impact. He was an early adopter for this game, and I'm sure he caused others watching him to go out and adopt this game as well. I'm sure Uncharted would have sold 7 million units a game had popular YouTubers done Let's Plays as well.

The Forest walkthrough has 5 million views. Will that reach 3.5m in sales?

We had the “over 17,320,000 as of April 12, 2012" total franchise number from Sony which they released during the announcement for the U3 GOTY Edition.

Franchise numbers, sure. But not individual titles, nor do we know how well they did at launch, etc. Not unless they choose to tell us about it.

Compared to something like Halo or Gears of War it was. Did you own a PS3 when UC3 came out? It didn't feel the same as a Halo launch or the Gears 3 launch. People weren't talking about the same way. It didn't hit 6 million copies in a year the way TLOU sold 7 million in a year. It took over three years to get those kind of numbers, that's what I meant by a slow build. I didn't say it sold poorly, but to expect TLOU would sell 7 million in a year based off UC and Sony first party studio sales as of 2012 would be bold to say the least.

A million plus sales on a week is a runaway hit in this industry. You can't spin that. It was the sequel to a rare consensus GOTY too. It was a big deal, no matter what your feelings tell you.

KageMaru

Well deserved, the game was great. Can't wait for the remastered version to come out.

Curious to see where they take the IP next. Sucks that we probably won't see anything until 2016.

Gattsu25

Banned
Saying Uncharted "Never set the world on fire sales wise" is pretty absurd though.

Also:

DjF9R4A.png

That looks perfect outside of the very last line of the write up (which is so ambiguous that it makes no sense).

Not sure what is supposed to be disagreeable in that image.

A million plus sales on a week is a runaway hit in this industry. You can't spin that. It was the sequel to a rare consensus GOTY too. It was a big deal, no matter what your feelings tell you.

Yeah I disagree. A million plus on a new IP, fine runaway hit. A million plus on a third entry into Sony's flagship franchise, which was a follow up to UC2 and as you said was widely considered to be a GOTY doesn't seem that amazing to me.
I still get this feeling that you weren't there on launch day for UC3. Do you remember the "buzz" on the internet around UC3 around it's release?

Edit: I want to be clear, I'm not saying it didn't sell really well. It did. But to me there is a clear difference between Sony's "flagship"(I know GT5 is actually the best selling Sony first part exclusive) versus Microsofts counterparts.

While I think he was being a bit over the top, because that's what he does. I never really felt Uncharted did that. As someone who has owned a PS3 for awhile I felt it was a very slow build, as far as sales. It's not like Gears of War or Halo that sold 3 million copies in it's first week. It took years to build it's numbers and for a long while people weren't really talking about it the way they did with Microsoft exclusives.

Well that's your feeling. Uncharted is as big a brand as Gears now. They're like ~2 million copies apart, very close. But you're right about 1 thing: UC franchise grew over time, even if UC3 wasn't as good as 2, it generated more buzz(negative or positive) for being the follow up to the 2009 goty. While Gears, it had a super big opening, and it was less talk with each iteration.

KoopaTheCasual

its bigger than uncharted gears gow and tomb raider. Nearing halo numbers
Crazy.

Although I hope they either leave it as a stand alone title (highly doubtful) or only have 1 more sequel. It takes massive nuts to walk away from new IP numbers like that, even if sequels were never intended

Fake Edit: Matter of fact, has there ever been a single player focused new IP that sold this well in it's first year that DIDNT turn into a franchise?

Well that's your feeling. Uncharted is as big a brand as Gears now. They're like ~2 million copies apart, very close. But you're right about 1 thing: UC franchise grew over time, even if UC3 wasn't as good as 2, it generated more buzz(negative or positive) for being the follow up to the 2009 goty. While Gears, it had a super big opening, and it was less talk with each iteration.

Personally I think UC3 is the best game of the series. But the talk around UC3 was largely negative, despite the great reviews. I remember the 10 it got on IGN got more talk than the actual game did(most people in disagreement). I remember the hype of a Halo 3 or GoW 3 midnight launch, versus that of the UC3(I remember about 10 people being at my gamestop, which usually had around 100 or so for midnight launches).

ClearData

The Remastered version instantly becomes the best game on PS4 on release. With the number of people that have joined the PS family from other consoles and have never played this game the numbers could EXPLODE again.

Personally I think UC3 is the best game of the series. But the talk around UC3 was largely negative, despite the great reviews. I remember the 10 it got on IGN got more talk than the actual game did(most people in disagreement). I remember the hype of a Halo 3 or GoW 3 midnight launch, versus that of the UC3(I remember about 10 people being at my gamestop, which usually had around 100 or so for midnight launches).

I understand your perspective in a sense, strictly from a 'buzz' perspective, if we look solely at some English-speaking gaming markets. God of War 3 had 'buzz' too.

But that's also a very restrictive perspective because buzz is perspective. Halo and Gears does tremendously well in the core markets, but it also doesn't have the legs normally expected of such strong sellers because 360 is not strong in non-US/UK markets. And because a large part of the internet gaming community is American-centric, that means that the buzz for those titles will also drown out any buzz for Sony titles that perhaps do worse in US/UK compared to MS flagships, but has a broader international audience and stronger legs in the long-run.

It's similar to Titanfall, in a way. The 'buzz' for that game was as strong as any game wishes it could have, and the sales are great, but it was also pretty apparent that the buzz was from a smaller segment of the market than might had been expected. CoD Ghost had no buzz, yet it's still sells insanely well.

Only Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot have sold better as Sony exclusives. It will likely hit 9 million or even 10 million if it really picks up on the PS4. I really hope the Naughty Dog name gets more and more popular where their name sells games by itself.

Completely irrelevant, but I don't get why Sony hasn't bought Crash yet from Activision's graveyard.

SykoTech

Wow, a lot more than I expected. Guess this means a sequel is inevitable, huh?

I don't mind, but I really hope they make a new IP on the PS4 first. It'll be disappointing if they go straight from Uncharted 4 to The Last of Us 2.

Zack117

Banned
Still ashamed that I bought it used back then but I'm trying to amend this. Digital US version is already pre-ordered and only waiting to hit my ps4.

sense

Only Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot have sold better as Sony exclusives. It will likely hit 9 million or even 10 million if it really picks up on the PS4. I really hope the Naughty Dog name gets more and more popular where their name sells games by itself.

Completely irrelevant, but I don't get why Sony hasn't bought Crash yet from Activision's graveyard.

I don't think activision will sell it. A lot of companies like to sit on their properties than see someone else pick it up and be successful with it. We might see activision letting them license the ip tho. Let's see what happens

Guerrilla

This is great! Well deserved!

I'm just afraid of a sequel. The Last of Us is so perfect, and self contained. I don't know how a sequel could make this universe better :( I'd rather see a new story in a different universe, so my precious memories won't be tainted ;)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I'm sorry, but I you defending Gies? Because surely you can see why his prediction was so horrible right?

Top Bottom