• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us has sold 7 million copies (prior to PS4 Remastered ed.)

Hanmik

Even if it was his opinion, he missed his prediction of 300K sales by a whopping 23.3x multiplier.

I mean, that's like a guy claiming to be a horse racing "expert" predicting "Lucky Lucy" to win the Kentucky Derby, and then it turns out that "Lucky Lucy" is a three-legged turtle ridden by a 300lb. jockey.

I would say this man should've been laughed out of the industry long ago, but that implies people are laughing. It's not a joke anymore that this incompetent is pulling down a paycheck. It's an embarrassment to the industry.

I think he is talking about what TLOU remaster will sell in it´s first month..

Hanmik

He made that "prediction" in Dec. 2012... About the PS3 release.

Pretty sure he was talking about how much the ps3 version would sell in it's first month... Which is even more ridiculous.

ohhh I just saw December.. and figured december 2013.. that makes his tweet look really really bad.

well to rectify my mistake, I will tweet him his old tweet and ask him about the 7 million number..

Melchiah

Yep. Best selling horror game of all-time, I'd imagine.

After all, according to Capcom in Oct. 2013, Resident Evil 5 had become their best-selling game, surpassing Street Fighter II, at 6.5M.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/resident-evil-5-becomes-capcoms-best-seller

And that game had the advantage of having 4 years and being on three platforms to gain that number.

This is a pretty big accomplishment for TLoU.

According to Wikia, RE4+5 sold a bit more, but they were on multiple platforms. I think it's wonderful that TLOU showed that horror games can still sell well, and I think it's at least partly to be thanked for the comeback of the genre.

Oh! I'm not native English speaker, but in my language an opinion(Åsikt) can't be wrong. If that's not the case in English, I take back what I said.

No worries pal. An opinion is a particular viewpoint someone holds, but in English an opinion can be wrong.

Grimløck;121248649 said:
what're you laughing about? if it wasn't for pewdiepie, tlou would've sold a million tops.

Sure thing pal, 50%+ of this game's success has been solely down to PewDiePie. Yeah, really. I'm sure the 200+ game of the year awards, tens of millions spent on marketing or dozens of perfect review scores were in no way contributory. Or the quality of the game itself, perhaps?!

ohhh I just saw December.. and figured december 2013.. that makes his tweet look really really bad.

well to rectify my mistake, I will tweet him his old tweet and ask him about the 7 million number..

I'm not going to say the guy isn't biased or anything when it's obvious to any reasonable observer that he is, but this was just a bad prediction. Predictions make fools of us all eventually. He knows it's a wildly successful game and that he was wrong. It's a dick move to bring it back up.

Mandatory:

untitledp6z6f.png

Wrong as usual. Poor that.

nooooo. i don't want the game to become a milked franchise that's handed off to different devs.
Well I think that's still a long time from happening. I'm sure they will make a sequel but a third entry would probably be close to 10 years out at this point, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So wait, what does "cross-buy add on" means? Does it mean if I buy PS4 digital version I get all PS3 DLC for free? I have bunch of friends who don't have a PS4 and haven't bought Left Behind yet. They would be pretty psyched if this is true.

Left behind is on the PS4 disc anyway.

Hanmik

I'm not going to say the guy isn't biased or anything when it's obvious to any reasonable observer that he is, but this was just a bad prediction. Predictions make fools of us all eventually. He knows it's a wildly successful game and that he was wrong. It's a dick move to bring it back up.

hey it´s only twitter... the place where everyone can be a succesfull dick without even trying hard. ! ;o)

According to Wikia, RE4+5 sold a bit more, but they were on multiple platforms. I think it's wonderful that TLOU showed that horror games can still sell well, and I think it's at least partly to be thanked for the comeback of the genre.

Don't know where your source got it's number, but I you follow the link in my post, that number I quoted came directly from Capcom.jp in Oct. 2013, as well as the note that it was their best-selling game, surpassing SFII.

Strictly

No. But Uncharted:GA came out only a month before that thread. And they also released a trilogy pack in 2012. So I think those numbers are way too outdated to be taken into account.
Gears Judgment also came out last year which would have comtributed to those sales, so...

GlamFM

Banned
I'm not a fan of his at all, but let's be honest his predication wasn't absurd. Saying a new IP will sell less than the UC series seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

Saying Uncharted "Never set the world on fire sales wise" is pretty absurd though.

Also:

DjF9R4A.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sounds like publishers should be begging this Pewdiepie character to showcase their games! Apparently this guy alone brings in millions of sales just by playing games!

Anyways, I think I'm finished with Wolfenstein and it's getting about $35 at Gamestop right now so that's going towards a Last of Us preorder today. Will be my first experience with TLOU so I'm excited.

Edit: I've heard good things about the online multiplayer, so I'm just as excited to get into that as well.

Sharpeye

Sounds like publishers should be begging this Pewdiepie character to showcase their games! Apparently this guy alone brings in millions of sales just by playing games!

Anyways, I think I'm finished with Wolfenstein and it's getting about $35 at Gamestop right now so that's going towards a Last of Us preorder today. Will be my first experience with TLOU so I'm excited.
To his credit, he is the reason why skate 3 has been charting again in some EU countries recently.

B.O.O.M

Sure thing pal, 50%+ of this game's success has been solely down to PewDiePie. Yeah, really. I'm sure the 200+ game of the year awards, tens of millions spent on marketing or dozens of perfect review scores were in no way contributory. Or the quality of the game itself, perhaps?!

Pretty sure he is joking

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow, that Sony marketing is amazing for sure!

Edit: Just joking of course, but surprising numbers since Uncharted never did that amazing as far as I know.

Cheech

I actually agree with the reviewer you guys are pillorying about the "conventional" gameplay, but they are missing the point entirely. It's just a great story with serviceable gameplay, but it's picking nits, because I don't think many can argue it was one of the best entertainment experiences last year regardless of medium.

I wish there was a better reason to rebuy this. Even at $50, it's a bit steep for a year old game. Thank god for the World Cup, it's stretched out Watch Dogs to the point where it just may get me to Diablo and Madden.

nib95

Banned
That's insane. In a year or so it's going to reach the 9-10 million mark which will put it in Halo and GT territory, and also ahead of the Uncharted franchise in sales, at least based on similar time frame anyway.

I'm not a fan of his at all, but let's be honest his predication wasn't absurd. Saying a new IP will sell less than the UC series seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

Oh come on though, it was the tone and dismissiveness of the post. He was clearly trying to belittle the game by giving it an extra-low prediction and suggest it would be forgotten in a month. Anyone with half a fucking brain who was paying attention to the market and the developer should have known that would not be the case.

Pretty sure he is joking

Fair enough. In topics about successful exclusives it's always hard to tell apart the sarcasm from the fanboyism.

Lemmy

Banned

He brings it on himself when he is so often wrong in his predictions and claims and seemingly never cops to being wrong even when proven as such. You need only look at the fact he stopped posting on Neogaf when he made a bet over some prediction he made or other with another Gaffer and was (predictably)proven wrong in the end and then he never paid up on the bet nor posted on here again I believe.

I don't know how anyone could sympathise with someone so thoroughly disreputable to be perfectly honest.

Saying Uncharted "Never set the world on fire sales wise" is pretty absurd though.

While I think he was being a bit over the top, because that's what he does. I never really felt Uncharted did that. As someone who has owned a PS3 for awhile I felt it was a very slow build, as far as sales. It's not like Gears of War or Halo that sold 3 million copies in it's first week. It took years to build it's numbers and for a long while people weren't really talking about it the way they did with Microsoft exclusives.

Oh come on though, it was the tone and dismissiveness of the post. He was clearly trying to belittle the game by giving it an extra-low prediction and suggest it would be forgotten in a month. Anyone with half a fucking brain who was paying attention to the market and the developer should have known that would not be the case.

Yeah I agree that's what he was trying to do. But I don't think his prediction was as crazy as if someone said TLOU will sell 7 million copies in a year and be one of Sony's top grossing games.
Especially before anyone had played through the game.

While I think he was being a bit over the top, because that's what he does. I never really felt Uncharted did that. As someone who has owned a PS3 for awhile I felt it was a very slow build, as far as sales. It's not like Gears of War or Halo that sold 3 million copies in it's first week. It took years to build it's numbers and for a long while people weren't really talking about it the way they did with Microsoft exclusives.

Uncharted 3 sold 3.8M globally on day one.

Edit: turns out that was shipped. Still, "over 1.1M" first week.

Melchiah

Don't know where your source got it's number, but I you follow the link in my post, that number I quoted came directly from Capcom.jp in Oct. 2013, as well as the note that it was their best-selling game, surpassing SFII.

There's a Capcom link on the Wikia page, but it doesn't work, so it could be their numbers aren't correct.

Top Bottom