• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us has sold 7 million copies (prior to PS4 Remastered ed.)

Jobbs

Banned
Alot of people only want one TLOU. With these sales, it ain't happening.

And it shouldn't, because ND crafted a fantastic world that deserves more of its story told. We may not see Joel or Ellie again but we sure as hell are going to see TLOU2.

I agree. I wasn't a fan of Uncharted games, and I don't like "cinematic action games" like that in general, and yet, somehow, TLOU became perhaps my favorite game of all time. Certainly in my top 3 GOATs (which is comprised of Dark Souls, SOTC, and TLOU).

Also: I think we will absolutely see Ellie again.. Druckmann has said multiple times that one of his goals with the first game was an origin story for a new female action hero. Joel... He may or may not make an appearance in the next game, but I don't think it'll be about him.
His story's done.

I think this gen your going to see a lot of Sony franchises sell better simply due the PS4 having a more encompassing audience compared to the PS3.

Infamous SS was the best selling Infamous or had the best debut for now. Killzone SF will probably be close if not the best selling game in the franchise.

Whether this is the case for bigger franchises is a bit more dubious though (GT, Uncharted and God of War). A while ago I was surprised at how many views some of these trailers were getting on the PS youtube channel.

Uncharted 4 has 4.5 million views and LBP has 3.7 million views. Now I know youtube views don't mean sales but I've never seen PS3 games apart from GT get that much exposure.

A sequel with protagonist Ellie would probably be a sales monster.

It's insane how iconic she's become as a character.

I want this fanart to come true.

oz7IYja.jpg

Jack cw

7 million for a new IP from a company that has a beat already with Uncharted is damn impressive. I remember the game didnt have the marketing budget and was running mostly over word of mouth. Lets see if it can reach 10 million by March. Insane numbers...

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
A sequel with protagonist Ellie would probably be a sales monster.

It's insane how iconic she's become as a character

You should spoiler tag that post, there are plenty of people waiting to play for the first time on PS4

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game deserves to sell twice as much, and may probably do it when all said and done. Millions of x360 gamers have yet to play it, and a lot of them are getting a PS4 this gen.

7 million for a new IP from a company that has a beat already with Uncharted is damn impressive. I remember the game didnt have the marketing budget and was running mostly over word of mouth. Lets see if it can reach 10 million by March. Insane numbers...

What?

The Last of Us had a huge marketing campaign. Easily one of Sony's biggest to date.

Lemmy

Banned
That is quite impressive, but given that it's one of the few "cinematic AAA" titles that is also actually a decent game I'm happy for it's success... plus there is the added bonus of Arthur Gies being made to look a fool after his claims about what it would sell before it came out :)

Strawman the poster.

In fairness to IN&OUT, it's not like that wasn't a running narrative for many years on internet forums that gained traction during the PS3's toilet years... in fact a lot of people still seem to cling to the suggestion today, as even on GAF I've read such suggestions numerous times since I joined.

Are the cutscenes realtime now? If not then having this option to lock fps at 30 would make the game switch back and forth from 30 to 60 gameplay/cutscene. Am I missing something here?

viveks86

Are the cutscenes realtime now? If not then having this option to lock fps at 30 would make the game switch back and forth from 30 to 60 gameplay/cutscene. Am I missing something here?

No they are pre rendered. Good point, though. May be they have a way to playback 60 fps video at 30 fps?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
The Last of Us is the first Naughty Dog game I've really loved since Crash Team Racing. It was really impressive and definitely deserves the sales.

DieH@rd

Banned

TLOU had very large marketing budget, the game was everywhere before it launched.

It also helped that reviewew emabargo was lifted early, and the game was even hyped few days before release on Sony E3 keynote.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't know what's worse in this thread, the casual spoilers or the casual Uncharted bashing

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
I hope this never happens. Joel and ellie's story is over. Use new characters or don't make a sequel. Can't we just not milk something one time?

Yup. This. Really, it wouldn't be hard to write an interesting story in this universe. I even have a good idea for a basic story outline.

Jobbs

Banned
I hope this never happens. Joel and ellie's story is over. Use new characters or don't make a sequel. Can't we just not milk something one time?

seriously, guys, anyone who thinks ellie won't be in the next game, considering what neil has said and considering the love of the character by people at large, is fooling themselves. if this idea bothers you, prepare to be bothered.

B.O.O.M

That's insane and well deserved. Was an incredible experience. One of my all time favorite games now.

and guys, remove the quoted spoiler posts.

edit: ALSO use spoiler tags! Plenty of people waiting to play this so they don't need to know who survived and whatnot

seriously, guys, anyone who thinks ellie won't be in the next game, considering what neil has said and considering the love of the character by people at large, is fooling themselves. if this idea bothers you, prepare to be bothered.

I'm incredibly bothered and will purposely fail every encounter and set piece in TLOU2 in protest.

At least in Germany there was massive advertisement.

It had a huge campaign pretty much everywhere. It was heartwarming to see such faith in a new IP.

Shame it didn't extend to Puppeteer.

TLOU had very large marketing budget, the game was everywhere before it launched.

It also helped that reviewew emabargo was lifted early, and the game was even hyped few days before release on Sony E3 keynote.

Yup. I had thought it was the start of Sony marketing all their new IP properly, but alas...

What, actually making new character will just lead to franchise milking since the story will never ends, just like assassin creed or call of duty where they just change the characters and location over and over again milking the series.

Keeping the characters the same and move the story forward actually mean the series had a chance to properly ends.

Mandatory:

untitledp6z6f.png

Ha ha, came to post exactly the same thing. Gies must be feeling so salty that TLoU has outsold every MS exclusive ever aside from Halo.

It's an amazing game and a lot of other devs could learn lessons from most aspects of its structure, storytelling and design.

Bravo Naughty Dog.

92990-Antonio-Banderas-reaction-gif-C5M4.gif

ethomaz

Banned
After played Ground Zeroes I can say the moviments (specially when Snake is running) feels unnatural and weird in 60fps.

I will try 60fps in TLOU and if something feel weird I'm glad I will have the 30fps option.

Btw congrats these 7 million... amazing.

I had no intention of picking up the game but got a chance to play a friends review copy for a few days and immediately preordered it. I don't remember seeing that much marketing here in the US but reviews/word of mouth did more than any marketing team could've done to sell it to the public

Gurish

Well deserved, one of the best of all time.

As for the lock 30 option in my opinion it doesn't smell good, i think most probably 60 isn't locked, hope I'm wrong but you can't have too much confidence considering they didn't show any gameplay 2 weeks before release.

EGM1966

That's dman impressive more SP focused exclusive. Assuming a reasonable tail plus decent remaster sales TLOU could get past 10 million which is monster territory.

Between this and Uncharted (which is probably a 5 to 6 million seller) ND are surely Sony's core studio for big selling exclusives right now.

Timing wise the title seems to have landed very well across PS3/PS4 too as I think the re-master is going to sell very well, particularly as a fair percentage of PS4 owners did not have a PS3 according to Sony released analysis.

Incredible sales considering wasnt it released not that long ago? 7million for a new IP that late in the console cycle is kudos too ND and the gamers who took a chance on it.

Personally i havent played it and dare not step foot in the remaster thread as people will no doubt spoil something, So i am looking forward to seeing what it's all about when it's released on the PS4.

I switched from the 360 aswell so i knew of the game just never played it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Cutscenes were re-rendered at 1080p60. Either:

- The game doesn't hold 60fps at all times and the option is there for those who'd prefer consistency, or
- The game holds 60fps at all times (or thereabouts) and the option is there for everybody who agreed with RAD in this thread ;)

DieH@rd

Banned
Seems kind of low tbh. I'd think with the infinite praise and 80m+ userbasd, it would be able to sell 10m

what1.gif

This was not 5th sequel, or game that had already built-in multiplayer audience, or game created from some previous property [books, movies, etc]... It was a brand new IP, set in too many-time tried post-apocalyptic setting, with MP module that nobody expected to be good.

Its a miracle it sold this well, and a true testament of high quality entertainment that ND manages to produce time and time again.

Cloudy

Banned
Awesome and I'll be adding to that count with the PS4 version.

So sorry for all you folks who don't want a sequel LOL

Lol at both comments.

TLOU is one of the best selling new IP last generation.

Unchated franchise sold more than Gears franchise.

His definition of "on fire" seem to have a bias side.
Wait... Is selling more than fucking Gears an accomplishment? :p

Judgement sold sub 3 million didn't it? Other titles didn't break 5 million I recall.

I doubt popular YouTubers have much impact on the success of massively marketed 'triple-A' games like this.
Pewdiepie, the #1 most subscribed YouTuber, exposed this game and praised it to at least 10 million users. I'm sure he had some impact. He was an early adopter for this game, and I'm sure he caused others watching him to go out and adopt this game as well. I'm sure Uncharted would have sold 7 million units a game had popular YouTubers done Let's Plays as well.

ethomaz

Banned

hesido

Now that the console space is getting used to basic settings, why not give us framerate oriented people a 900p, if not possible, 720p *locked* 60fps option, if the framerate is GPU limited of course.

After all, resolution is sitting position / view size dependent to make any change. Framerate is preferable for me because it benefits me in any position with any view size. (Since it's a preference, just make it an option.)

Top Bottom