• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is 30fps because 24fps doesn't "feel good", 60fps "changes aesthetic"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems framerates are all the rage these days, I thought some people would be interested. More at the link.

Kotaku said:

"60 fps is really responsive and really cool. I enjoy playing games in 60 fps," Jan told me. "But one thing that really changes is the aesthetic of the game in 60 fps. We're going for this filmic look, so one thing that we knew immediately was films run at 24 fps. We're gonna run at 30 because 24 fps does not feel good to play. So there's one concession in terms of making it aesthetically pleasing, because it just has to feel good to play.

Source: http://kotaku.com/a-developers-defense-of-30-frames-per-second-1580194683

Silky

Banned
0Cmnv.png

I'm sure as hell glad it has no multiplayer then.

yet another 30 fps shooter....I'm interested in what exactly changes The Order for the worst if it ran in 60fps

That's perfectly fine, as long as it's an actual 30fps as opposed to that target bullshit.

I'd still rather have 60fps, though.

Zeliard

If someone posted this on a forum, it would be Poe's law in a nutshell. Just veers so comically close to parody.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God, I would have loved if they' done for 24fos for gameplay, just to see the reactions. Plus it'd require a lot less performance to hit that (about 62 million pixels per second for 1920x1080/30fps, about 37 million for 1920x800/24fps)

hodgy100

30fps is fine but can we atleast not bullshit and say "its not 60fps because the hardware can't handle that visual fidelity at that framerate."

I'd love it if devs would, for once, stop pretending that going to 30fps instead of 60 is some sort of "artistic choice".

It's bullshit. They know it, we know it, why pretend otherwise?

Chobel

"60 fps is really responsive and really cool. I enjoy playing games in 60 fps," Jan said. "But one thing that really changes is the aesthetic of the game in 60 fps.

What is this supposed to mean? The game won't be filmic in 60fps?

I really, really would like to see them releasing the game at 24fps. The meltdowns, oh they would be awesome.

To me 60fps>30, mostly on racers, fighting games and platformers. But the reactions would be so great.

Betty

Banned
"60 fps is really responsive and really cool. I enjoy playing games in 60 fps," Jan said.

Hey, me too!

"But one thing that really changes is the aesthetic of the game in 60 fps."

In other words it looks more like a game and less film like, which I'd personally prefer.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i don't know why you guys are all so upset that this is one developer who want to put gameplay first.

I dont think that I beleive this. However, theres more to a game than just frame rate. Of course I always want 60 fps. However, if its 30, and the story is good, and the moment to moment gameplay is good and all of that stuff then I dont think I'll mind

Raw64life

If they could actually get the game running at 60 FPS locked but intentionally made it 30 FPS I would be speechless, but I'm assuming this is just PR speak.

Durante

I'd argue the primary reason the game is 30 FPS is that this way they can throw twice as much processing at each rendered pixel. I know that's a strange idea, but it's just what I think.

I'd love it if devs would, for once, stop pretending that going to 30fps is some sort of "artistic choice".

It's bullshit. They know it, we know it, why pretend otherwise?
Pretty much. I mean, it's a valid choice to be able to render fewer nicer-looking pixels, no need to dress it up as something it's not.

Top Bottom