• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the most honest interview of the year; Remedy dev gets honest about Series S, craps on the push for 60fps everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

I just can't stand how choppy 30 fps looks. And I don't mean "plays", I mean actually how it looks.
Yeah, I’ve not been able to unsee that stutter for like 3 decades. Still remember going between Tekken and Toh Shin Den on PS1 and thinking something had happened to the console, once I learned it was the framerate I’ve always disliked lower framerates. And there is no motion blur magic that can hide it, that just means it’ll stutter as usual while also looking blurry like a N64 game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just finished watching it. props to IGN for asking these questions. I have noticed them doing some excellent content over the last few weeks and just wanted to give them props.

Good on the remedy guy for not trying to hide. it takes balls to answer some of these questions.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Lol refreshing to see "frame warriors" getting shut down.

Locked 30fps is more than fine to run a game.
high quality GIF

Md Ray

30fps on console you can sort of get used to but for some reason 30fps on PC feels totally horrendous.
By horrendous you mean micro-stutters (improper framepacing) or input lag? Using Adaptive half refresh rate (if you're on NVIDIA) on a 60Hz display gets you properly frame-paced, console-like 30fps. Using external framecap apps like RTSS introduces horrendous micro-stutters in DX12, Vulkan titles nowadays.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I like getting 60 frames, but I am not worried about it. I just want fun good looking games.
Same. I'll always prefer 60 fps, because I just like how it looks.

But if a dev WANTS to have 30 fps, that's totally fine, its not gonna make me not want to play it. If the game looks good and fun, I'm all in.

darrylgorn

By horrendous you mean micro-stutters (improper framepacing) or input lag? Using Adaptive half refresh rate (if you're on NVIDIA) on a 60Hz display gets you properly frame-paced, console-like 30fps. Using external framecap apps like RTSS introduces horrendous micro-stutters In DX12, Vulkan titles nowadays.

Never had any stuttering with RTSS and vulkan. DX12 is almost universally bunked in every game.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
If devs don't want to "compromise their vision" then they shouldn't release the game on console at all and they would require everyone to have high end PCs. But they still want to make money and so they "compromise".
Oh, I totally get that too. But I think they see console version as the most they are willing to compromise. At the same time, it might also depend how the devs build their games, like console in mind first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom