• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 is 30fps because 24fps doesn't "feel good", 60fps "changes aesthetic"

Eusis

If someone posted this on a forum, it would be Poe's law in a nutshell. Just veers so comically close to parody.
Yeah, I don't mind a good solid 30fps for games like this but the logic is kind of a strange, alien one that I don't think really belongs in games at all.

Also they could've gone Hobbit "filimic" with 48fps! Though without some TV compensation that's not actually going to work as well as anyone'd like.
I'd love it if devs would, for once, stop pretending that going to 30fps instead of 60 is some sort of "artistic choice".

It's bullshit. They know it, we know it, why pretend otherwise?
There are legitimate cases like South Park where it really can feel like the TV show, and I suppose a game like David Cage's is better able to run with this because it's actually more like a movie you sort of control, but for something that is a shooter it's really questionable logic.

Begaria

RAD is starting to veer dangerously close to David Cage levels of "We really just want to make a movie instead of a game" in the interviews they've been giving lately.

The idea that a game can look "filmic" is kind of absurd. Cameras have exposure and a frame is a time slice (and stretch of time) in actuality, not an infintely precise time point (frame in a video game). Since we are not exposing like a path tracing engine or something... the parallels kind of do not work out.

Furthermore, the motionblur afforded by videogame technqiues is nowhere near as physically accurate as that of a camera (one again, with its exposure)

Saying that a game looks less "real" at a higher framerate goes against everything that the lessons of VR have taught us also.

Just admit you want the game to look like X, and hardware X cannot garantee that it wll look like that at a 60fps.

TheCloser

Banned
Hey, me too!

In other words it looks more like a game and less film like, which I'd personally prefer.

Then you should make your own game. Honestly though, i understand what they are trying to say but i feel like its a trade off to reach that visual fidelity.

Vinc

I don't think it's just the framerate that would change the look of the game, it would look significantly downgraded in visuals as well. I'm ok with a 30 FPS framerate with no noticeable drops for this game, as long as it doesn't have super twitchy gameplay.

The idea that a game can look "filmic" is kind of absurd. Cameras have exposure and a frame is a time slice in actuality, not a infintely precise time point (frame in a video game). Since we are not exposing like a path tracing engine or something... the parallels kind of do not work out.

Furthermore, the motionblur afforded by videogame technqiues is nowhere near as physically accurate as that of a camera (one again, with its exposure)

Saying that a game looks less "real" at a higher framerate goes against everything that the lessons of VR have taught us also.

This is something that should be said more often.

OneUh8

People need some reading comprehension courses. No where does it say they looked to do 24fps. They simply mentioned how they noticed how films use that, but obviously playing at 24 fps is not a good experience.

Maybe they did try it out, but no where in that paragraph did it imply that as their vision...

VanWinkle

What is this supposed to mean? The game won't be filmic in 60fps?

Nope. Just like how people in general hated how The Hobbit looked at 48fps. It completely changes the aesthetic of the game.

The idea that a game can look "filmic" is kind of absurd. Cameras have exposure and a frame is a time slice (and stretch of time) in actuality, not an infintely precise time point (frame in a video game). Since we are not exposing like a path tracing engine or something... the parallels kind of do not work out.

Just admit you want the game to look like X, and hardware X cannot garantee that it wll look like that at a 60fps.

Except they didn't say 60fps makes it look less "real". It looks less like a movie, which is the look they're going for.

I believe this sort of reasonings. Games just look different at 60 frames, less real. Less real is fine for certain things are inherently fake in all aspects. This fame is trying to be more grounded overall.

Mindlog

For some reason after reading that the only visual that pops into my head is a dog licking its own taint.
Hopefully this will be the Citizen Kane for cinematic games.

mario_O

hqdefault.jpg

EGM1966

I'm not sure 60fps would have been an option without losing the visual flair somewhat but I'm fine with 30fps so long as its solid and they keep latency low.

I guess the point they're making is they felt the visual change necessary to get 60fps wouldn't work for them - not sure otherwise why 60fps would automatically ruin things unless they mean the "look" in motion veered away from what's familiar from films in the way The Hobbit at 48fps got a bit of a mauling for the most part for not looking right in motion.

Not sure that would apply in a game though.

A locked 30 with great IQ is fine by me.

Even though I don't believe 30fps or low resolution (in general) are valid "artistic choices".

It's just a way to cover tech compromise.

SyaraSystem

Neo Member
Actually, the comparison to watching films in HFR is very apt.
There's a tangible, and for many people, unfavorable change.

ethomaz

Banned
I agree.

While you have better gameplay with 60fps some games didn't works well in 60fps.

I just want they get rip of the black bars... or give us a option... I want full screen view.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What is this supposed to mean? The game won't be filmic in 60fps?

I'm kind of stunned that people who are adamant that 60FPS versus 30FPS represents a fidelity difference both in gameplay and graphics are shocked that a developer would choose the lower for the exact same reason. Is it not possible for a developer to say it's an artistic choice AND it is easier to hit technically?

Now if the complaint is that the ONLY reason to go is for artistic reasons, well that is up to RAD as to whether that is true or not.

nelchaar

RAD is starting to veer dangerously close to David Cage levels of "We really just want to make a movie instead of a game" in the interviews they've been giving lately.

From the CVG Hands-On interview: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...1886s-e3-demo-showcases-style-over-substance/

CVG said:
CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

Doesn't sound like gameplay is their top priority. I love RAD, and I'm super excited for this game, and story is very important to me, but I want a game to be fun. It's crucial.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
somebody actually used the 'cinematic feel' argument

I don't know what's real anymore

While you have better gameplay with 60fps some games didn't works well in 60fps.

I honestly can't tell who is being sarcastic

this is a joke, right?

km3k

Neo Member
I'm not sure why there's all this confusion here. They spelled it out clearly.

Film runs at 24fps. They wanted the look of film above all else, which is clear from the aspect ratio, so they were considering 24fps to keep with the feel of film. They tried it and found it negatively affected the game, and 60fps went too far away from the look of film that they wanted, so they compromised on 30fps.

I think it's a great sign that they're considering issues like this so seriously.

Kerned

Banned
I'm fine with 30, but this reasoning sounds more like PR than anything. If you can't hit 60 because you are putting resources in other areas, so be it. Just say so. No need to blow smoke up our asses.

Tagyhag

I believe this sort of reasonings. Games just look different at 60 frames, less real. Less real is fine for certain things are inherently fake in all aspects. This fame is trying to be more grounded overall.

If it looked less real VR wouldn't be needing 60fps at the very minimum. They just don't want to say "Yeah we can't do the graphics we have right now at 60fps with the PS4". It sounds better to say it's an artistic choice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why even make up bullshit like this? It's 30fps for performance reasons, obviously.

Comparing real time 3D graphics to films is just idiotic.

VariantX

I dont mind 30. But for the love of god it needs to be locked at 30... not capped at 30. It is incredibly frustrating to play games with framerates that fluctuate all over the place. It totally screws with my timing and reactions.

dsk1210

I agree.

I just want they get rip of the black bars... or give us a option... I want full screen view.

Please inform me of what games suffer from having a higher frame rate?

MedIC86

Please inform me of what games suffer from having a higher frame rate?

This is just my opinion, but when i played dark souls on my PS3, i loved the clunky feeling of the game. Now i with Dark souls 2 i played it on my pc, and at 60+ fps it just feels very unnatural for me, like everything is going way to fast.

Top Bottom