• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us has sold 7 million copies (prior to PS4 Remastered ed.)

Usobuko

Banned
Remastering this for PS4 is a good business idea. For people who love this game and double dibs & for people who don't own a PS3 last gen.

fedexpeon

Banned
What...7M already?
That is surprising for a game that isn't a FPS.

UC4, ironically, will have a huge challenge to look forward for in term of sales.

bombshell

Why do you need to lock the framerate at 30 FPS if it's locked at 60? It's not going to be locked at 60 isn't it?

Maybe it's quite stable at 60 fps, but still has a few framerate drops so it's there for people who would prefer absolutely zero drops.

Or for people who would just prefer 30 fps cap like the original had.

It will also improve Remote Play if you lock it at 30 fps.

Nice numbers.

Sounds like they're just giving the option to change the frame rate for those who want to. Don't go canceling pre orders just yet.

Makes sense for games that have really erratic framerates. When "60fps" = 30-60fps. But if its a steady 60fps, like say Wolfenstein, then its basically just a "make my game shittier" button.

As odd a thing as it would be, I hope its the latter.

My guess is the "lock at 30" is for those that pick up the game and don't like the feel of 60fps due to being stuck with 30fps for so damn long. Last I remember they stated they were over 60fps with the game.

Tratorn

Why do you need to lock the framerate at 30 FPS if it's locked at 60? It's not going to be locked at 60 isn't it?

Because there are people who like the cutscenes more at 30FPS (I don't understand this, but ok).
And if you can believe ND, it's 60FPS most of the time and they tried to remove drops. Of course there still could be situations when the FPS drops:

VgEueOv.png

DieH@rd

Banned
What...7M already?
That is surprising for a game that isn't a FPS.

UC4, ironically, will have a huge challenge to look forward for in term of sales.

PS4 will surely hit 12-14M install base at the end of this year. By the end of Q3 2015, PS4 will easily be over 20M [boosted by early releases of Order, Witcher, Batman, BloodBourne], and release of Uncharted 4 during holiday season 2015 will push a lot of console sales. If great sales continue with this initial fast pace, PS4 has a chance of coming close to 30M by end of 2015.

Kudos to Sony. Absolutely incredible for a new IP released so late in the console cycle, and good news for gamers as it shows publishers you can release a new IP at any time, and if it's any good it'll sell.

Many publishers (MS in particular) have always said they don't release new IP towards the end of the console cycle because nobody notices etc. Well, obviously 7m people did notice. Bit of a wake up call for the industry.

Flandy

Makes sense for games that have really erratic framerates. When "60fps" = 30-60fps. But if its a steady 60fps, like say Wolfenstein, then its basically just a "make my game shittier" button.

As odd a thing as it would be, I hope its the latter.

You should see the amount of people claiming that 60fps ruins the "cinematic feel" of the game. Maybe they added it in for those people? I frankly think it's ridiculous and would rather have the cutscenes in 60fps.

farmerboy

Alot of people only want one TLOU. With these sales, it ain't happening.

And it shouldn't, because ND crafted a fantastic world that deserves more of its story told. We may not see Joel or Ellie again but we sure as hell are going to see TLOU2.

Yeah the way I'm reading the "Lock framerate at 30 frames" part is that they're giving people who don't like 60 fps the option to lock it at 30, since every other bullet point on that slide also details options for the player.

Varth

The guy who tweeted this also gave details regarding the PS4 version (most of them already known but it's a good wrap up)
BspijOTCEAAhTXL.jpg:large

Asked in the other thread, but no answer: what's this "new add on content" mentioned? I tought we were done with DLC with Grounded and Reclaimed Territories.

My guess is the "locked framerate at 30fps" is an option you can select if you don't like 60fps. It's totally optional... I guess.

Hopefully. More options are great and I'm so glad that Sony patched 30fps locks in to both Killzone and Infamous, both of which hugely benefited from the lock because of the framerate issues running at 60fps. That said, if TLoU is a near-locked 60fps then that's exactly how I'll be playing it. Difficult to go back to 30fps after Wolfenstein.

fedexpeon

Banned
Alot of people only want one TLOU. With these sales, it ain't happening.

And it shouldn't, because ND crafted a fantastic world that deserves more of its story told. We may not see Joel or Ellie again but we sure as hell are going to see TLOU2.

I want to see Joel and Tommy's past.
I thought the DLC was going to be that...but I guess not.
Tommy would be cool to play with since he is portrayed as a smart+skilled character.
And they can add Dark Cloud building mechanic for his town...Shieeet, that would be awesome to play.

Bundy

Banned
Taken from the larger thread:

NxhsrMk.png

Well deserved for the "Game of last gen" and "Best Game Ever" for me :)

I'm not sure how much PS4 people want this, maybe a few 100k in its first month? However, after all is said and done with a budget/GOTY PS3 release and possibly a budget PS4 release down the line, you guys think it'll reach 10 million eventually?
Worldwide? lol.....

Ryuuga

Banned
That 30 FPS bulletpoint will spawn a new thread spanning several pages when most of NA GAF wakes up.

I can't sleep a moth is trying to kill me.

A sequel with protagonist Ellie would probably be a sales monster.

It's insane how iconic she's become as a character.

Spoilers,obviously.

Relique

I'm not sure how much PS4 people want this, maybe a few 100k in its first month? However, after all is said and done with a budget/GOTY PS3 release and possibly a budget PS4 release down the line, you guys think it'll reach 10 million eventually?

This is pretty much anecdotal evidence but many of my friends skipped the PS3 release in anticipation for the remaster. I know that I will be double dipping, and judging by the number of the replies in this thread and it's position on the first page for several weeks now, I can comfortably say that 100k is nowhere close to what it will sell.

Best game of last gen. So many feels when I first played it. Hope we get a sequel worthy of this game. I assume 2016 ... thats so far though :(

Gator86

A sequel with protagonist Ellie would probably be a sales monster.

It's insane how iconic she's become as a character.

I hope this never happens. Joel and ellie's story is over. Use new characters or don't make a sequel. Can't we just not milk something one time?

You should see the amount of people claiming that 60fps ruins the "cinematic feel" of the game. Maybe they added it in for those people? I frankly think it's ridiculous and would rather have the cutscenes in 60fps.

I understand that part. I also understand the only thing bad about 60fps is when people aren't used to it. Its different, and different is distracting. I get it, it's not ridiculous. But it doesn't stay different if they allow themselves to get used to it. To use a 30fps toggle for that reason is willful ignorance. Now that's ridiculous.

When dealing with cutscenes, I'd agree with that. Stuff filmed to look like a movie at 60 frames doesn't have the same feel. The recent MGS GZ + V 60 fps cutscenes, for example, are noticeably different, i think for the worse. Shakey cam is especially more pronounced and the smooth movement accentuates the "gaminess" of the whole thing.

In gameplay that's different because it's very obviously a game so my brain can distinguish the difference and what 60 frames bring to the experience.

Top Bottom