• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS4 remaster - direct screengrabs *spoilers*

pelican

Looks like the PS3 version touched up and up-scaled to a higher native resolution. Which is what I was expecting. The big difference will be the fps increase to 60.

Kolgar

I don't understand why they didn't just copy over the Uncharted 4 computer codes onto the Last of Us computer codes. I've copied files over from a thumb drive before, it's not that difficult

/s

OK, this slew me. LOL

I traded in my PS3 game and, after some savings magic, will wind up paying $2 more for the remaster than if I had bought the Left Behind dlc on PS3. Looking forward to a nice, smooth frame rate and cleaner IQ. The PS3 game seemed to grind a bit in certain parts of the game.

Kinyou

This looks exactly like i expected, a PS3 game running at 1080p/60fps, and thats just fine. Not sure why people were expecting anything more. It's always been known to be a remaster and not a remake.
Not sure if remaster has an exact definition in the game industry. Some basically expected something similar to Tomb Raider DE while this seems to be more akin to something like the God of war HD collection

antitrop

Not sure if remaster has an exact definition in the game industry. Some basically expected something similar to Tomb Raider DE while this seems to be more akin to something like the God of war HD collection
Really, it's in between both of those.

Odrion

Banned
The Last of Us PS3 - $40
The Last of Us PS3 Season Pass - $20

Considering you're getting remastered versions of both of those, worth $60, how is this not worth $50?
Sony being dicks about the price of old software on an outdated platform doesn't justify them putting a premium price on a standard up-port.

Darknight

With added 15+ additional effects that touched everything from Lara, to enemies, lightning, particles, effects... TR DE was much more ambitious remaster project than TLOU, and anyone claiming otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

The only thing that was hard on TLOU was re-coding the game from PS3 to PS4.The rest was just cranking up the already present assets that now produce much cleaner picture, without investment in creating brand new effects.

Did that new version come out for PC?

antitrop

Sony being dicks about the price of old software on an outdated platform doesn't justify them putting a premium price on a standard up-port.

OVER 200 GAME OF THE YEAR AWARDS

That gave the game a huge sales tail, why would they lower the price when there's still demand?

-griffy-

Banned
It looks like exactly what Naughty Dog said it was going to be.

So don't fucking buy it?

If it's just an up-port, according to you, walk your ass to Gamestop and pick it up for PS3.

No skin off our backs.

With added 15+ additional effects that touched everything from Lara, to enemies, lightning, particles, effects... TR DE was much more ambitious remaster project than TLOU, and anyone claiming otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

The only thing that was hard on TLOU was re-coding the game from PS3 to PS4.The rest was just cranking up the already present assets that now produce much cleaner picture, without investment in creating brand new effects.

Just getting this game running on PS4 was most likely harder than what the TR DE people had to do .

DieH@rd

Banned
Did that new version come out for PC?
No. TR DE is out only on nextgen consoles, and Nixxes mentioned that there are no plans to bring new code to PC.

Just getting this game running on PS4 was most likely harder than what the TR DE people had to do .
The post I was replying to was not concerned about how "difficult" something was. He was talking about looks of the game, and in that department, Nixxes and UFG invested lot more effort into crafting brand new effects.

tekrapid

Neo Member

Yeah i totally get the feeling that Tomb Raider DE has skewed expectations of what people expected.

th4tguy

So don't fucking buy it?

If it's just an up-port, according to you, walk your ass to Gamestop and pick it up for PS3.

No skin off our backs.

In all seriousness, ^THIS

If you have a problem with the price and that is ALL that is keeping you from buying this, then wait until the price drops. If it follows trends for other HD re-releases, after a month, the price will be half of what it launched at.

If they can sell their product at a higher price point, then why would they drop it? But yeah, I guess screw Sony for people wanting to give them their money.

REV 09

I don't get the defenders argument that "it was never more than a port". All of the HD remakes last gen had significant upgrades. Tomb Raider was a big improvement. Halo MCC is a huge value as well. If TLOU were around $30 then it wouldn't be an issue, but this is hardly a bargain at $50...and hopefully doesn't set an acceptable precedent for work going into next gen ports/rereleases.

Should be charging $30 for it.

You can't be serious

I don't get the defenders argument that "it was never more than a port". All of the HD remakes last gen had significant upgrades. Tomb Raider was a big improvement. Halo MCC is a huge value as well. If TLOU were around $30 then it wouldn't be an issue, but this is hardly a bargain at $50...and hopefully doesn't set an acceptable precedent for work going into next gen ports/rereleases.

We haven't seen Halo 3/4 versions, so you can't compare that.

I think people forget that TLoU has MUCH smaller room for improvement compared to TR or GTA. TLoU was held back by its hardware because of things like textures and res/framerate. While TR and GTAV may have similar issues, they also faced even bigger problems because of the hardware. Realistic hair, SSS, environments details etc. aren't things in TLoU that needed to be added.

TyrantII

direct capture would be sourced through the HDMI video output. You can clearly see a PS4 screenshot icon in the upper left in one of these, so not "direct source".

Looks good, but same jpg compression issues you always get with the share button.

Gurish

Are Sony insane?
Are they gonna leave the marketing of this game for some random people who got the game early that will upload their compressed 'share' photos or their low quality Youtube videos?

What the hell are they thinking with their marketing for this title? where is the 60 fps hi quality videos with a comparison to the PS3 version?!
Clowns.

No, ND laid out pretty clearly what the changes were going to be. 1080p/60fps with minor lighting changes (not sure), cutscene models in the game and small improvements here and there. Nothing more.

JB1981

Lol

What about doubling the frame rate and resolution and adding other enhancements seems like a bad precedent for you?

Mr Moose

Go buy the PS3 version, with all of the DLC that comes with the PS4 version, let me know how much it costs (seriously, I have no idea, but I am guessing it's either the same or higher).

The PS3 version in the UK is £25 on Amazon (no DLC) and the PS4 version is £38. Isn't Left Behind DLC something like £12?

People complaining about the price, DON'T buy it if it bothers you so much.

EBE

screens look okay. i cant see much a difference in certain shots though. but thats probably just me. id love to see 60fps footage of the game.

icespide

Banned

you seem very concerned about setting precedents

Shinta

Banned

Indeed. People who didn't play it should watch both of these so they know what you're talking about and have a clear reference for the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wvFg-c0Rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxm0XLs-UIo&list=UUaAUQeeSpnQmeEhPl1Rru0A

Lots and lots of added additional effects that seem quite a bit more ambitious than this.

It would have been nice if Sony put out even one video like this.

Corine

Just saved me neighbor $50 with those screens. Neither of us were impressed. At least now we know why they haven't released any gameplay footage.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Thread has had the hyperbole as expected. 1080p/60, upgraded textures ad lighting. PS4 version wasn't going to be a high level AAA investment. Not sure why some act as if this was supposed to be Uncharted 4 visually.

Does he do this often?

All the time.He's one of the more annoying posters.

velociraptor

I remember your posts, so I looked it up:

So which is it?
But after waiting so long it's a little anti-climatic. I read articles about how the visuals would actually be improved - lighting, textures, shadows, aliasing. It isn't a remaster. It's just... the same game in 1080p60.

Still have pre-ordered the game. Still will play the heck out of it.

Darknight

They cant call it "HD" because the games are already HD from an HD era. GOW games came out pre-HD thus when they got released on PS3, they had the "HD" on it. The following wont make sense:

The Last of Us: HD Classic/ HD Collection (PS4)
The Last of Us: HD Edition

But the following makes sense:

The Last of Us: Remaster
The Last of Us: Definitive Edition

Remastered is like the "Director's cut" or so.(has dev commentary ffs) Not really but close. Its the same game but increased resolution, improved textures and locked or improved frame rates. (NOTE: GOW HD Collection is exactly what ND is doing for TLoU FFS! Upped res, cleaned textures, locked frame rate I believe!!! So I dont get this complaint.)

Any "new" ports from PC to PS4/XB1 will look hella better because they are coming from the top of the line PC versions. Any "up-res'd" ports from PS3/360 gen to PS4/XB1 will not have the same leap from PC -> PS4/XB1 because they are closed systems and had limits which PC does not really have. For instance, if SSM ported GOW3 to PS4, I wouldnt expect U4 graphics either. It will just be improved textures, 1080P resolution and locked 60FPS. I would not expect a new 4K Kratos model/face or something like that.

I hate to repeat this but keep expectations in check. Its not difficult. I feel some like to imagine something else on purpose to then complain when its not like they were thinking. I may seem defensive but to me, just the fact its getting an up-port with better improvements and the DLC included and cheaper than last year's launch is awesome.

I hadn't noticed the soccer photograph on the wall there before.

p.s.

dem shadows. but i'm sure the absolutely perfect shadows in UC4 teaser are real-time, amirite
The uc4 trailer was real time. Real time doesn't necessarily mean real time gameplay. Its just small demo of what they want it to look like.

The game looks like a 1080p ps3 game, which is exactly what this is.

Indeed. People who didn't play it should watch both of these so they know what you're talking about and have a clear reference for the conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wvFg-c0Rs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxm0XLs-UIo&list=UUaAUQeeSpnQmeEhPl1Rru0A

Lots and lots of added additional effects that seem quite a bit more ambitious than this.

It would have been nice if Sony put out even one video like this.

Might as well look at the PS4 vs PC version too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEwUBPh-bA

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Does he do this often?
When he isn't banned, yes.

But after waiting so long it's a little anti-climatic. I read articles about how the visuals would actually be improved - lighting, textures, shadows, aliasing. It isn't a remaster. It's just... the same game in 1080p60.

Still have pre-ordered the game. Still will play the heck out of it.
Your previous post is 12 days ago, so unless you are a fly that is not a long period of time.

Hoje0308

Banned

I'm trying to decide if you're moving goalposts or if you really are unable to understand why that particular game would hold value. Amazon has it for $30, which when combined with the season pass matches the price of the remaster.

antitrop

Just saved me neighbor $50 with those screens. Neither of us were impressed. At least now we know why they haven't released any gameplay footage.
Basing your opinion from compressed to fucking dogshit screengrabs from the PS4's Share feature is pretty ridiculous, but perhaps only slightly less ridiculous than Sony/ND not actually releasing much of their own high quality media.

Top Bottom