• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Remastered |OT| Game of the Years

sorry if this has been posted before! EU man here, got the ntsc version of TLOU & now cant get the compulsory map packs due to the game trying to get them from the EU store I think?

is there any way around this for me? do I have to create a us account?

cheers

EDIT - nvm got it sorted, downloaded the dlc on a US account as I thought and viola :)

lazytiger

Neo Member
First post after long awaited account activation (had to sit anxiously on the sidelines while everyone was flying off in planes, demaking screenshots and planning to insert the discs into places other than their PS4s) and I have to dedicate it to RoboPlato for his invaluable advice:

Same thing happened to me.
It's probably the one when you talk to Ellie about the fireflies at the University. There's three symbols that trigger the conversation but only the one to the left of the dorm entrance counts.

I didn't have a problem with this trophy on the PS3. But on the PS4 with no luck after three playthroughs, a whole bunch of chapter selects and methodically going through every single conversation on youtube, I just assumed it was glitched. And I'd pretty much have to delete all my save files and play through again with fresh stats in the hope that it would pop.

But then I read your post late one night, Robo, and I thought 'that just might be the problem'. So fired up the game, galloped my way to the spot, and lo and behold, a tag and a trophy! Huzzah. So, thank you sir. Now I just have 10 weeks of being a Firefly until I get my platinum :D

PS this is pretty much my favourite game of all time.

Gold Member
So I'm hoping someone here can help me with something. I have missed an artefact a few chapters back and I was wondering if I can safely go back via chapter select and then resume where I was before (or should I just wait for new game plus?). I have just started a new chapter so I don't think I'll lose anything but I just want to make sure it won't screw with any progress / trophies.

Absolutely loving this game so far, it's really grabbing hold of me and the writing is just brilliant.

Superflat

So I'm hoping someone here can help me with something. I have missed an artefact a few chapters back and I was wondering if I can safely go back via chapter select and then resume where I was before (or should I just wait for new game plus?). I have just started a new chapter so I don't think I'll lose anything but I just want to make sure it won't screw with any progress / trophies.

Absolutely loving this game so far, it's really grabbing hold of me and the writing is just brilliant.

Use chapter select to get all your collectibles and shiv doors, NG+ not required for that. Just set it on a different save slot.

ZeroX03

Banned
Pittsburgh military checkpoint on Grounded is fucking ridiculous. It also doesn't help that without memory restrictions, enemies can follow you a lot further than on the PS3 version.

EDIT: Just double smoke bombed and ran it. Trying to take out everyone takes way too long.

I've just reached
winter
but so far I've had way less trouble on Grounded than my first playthrough on hard + listen mode off (i died a lot) except for a few instances. I guess it helps that I know the how the levels are laid out and not bothering trying to stealth kill everyone just to scavenge for supplies. Looking forward to the coming sections with some trepidation though, I can think of a couple of scenarious that will be a real pain.
Tommy's dam
was a lot of fun but I came out of that with basically no ammo left, lol.

Auctopus

I know it's meant to be about difficulty but the severe lack of checkpoints in Grounded mode just makes me get bored and switch the game off when I die.

The hell am I gonna play through that exact same part again that took me 20 minutes. (maybe it's because it's my 8th playthrough).

Someone was annoyed with my thread on it, so here's my impressions.

I have to say, I love this game's story. The narrative works incredibly well, the characters are realistic and you can relate to all of them. You really buy Joel as a beaten and weary old man who's had to do plenty of things that he regrets just to survive. At the same time Ellie is the polar opposite. Having lived her whole life in the quarantine zone, she's seen some bad things, but is incredibly naive at the beginning about how the world works.

The mechanics also work well with the narrative. When you switch to Ellie, you're a much more vulnerable fighter. As in even attempting to melee an enemy can be deadly. She's also much faster and more agile than Joel, conversely, Joel is incredibly strong, and I found myself at times taking out whole rooms of armed enemies with my fists.

All that said, my God is the game play formulaic at times. I'm really surprised I've never seen complaints about this, but every portion of the game follows a distinct pattern. You show up in a peaceful area, look for stuff, upgrade, cute Ellie-Joel moment, then you end up having to dodge infected for a few minutes, then humans come in to muck things up so you have to fight them to escape. Nearly every portion of the game follows this pattern and about halfway threw I caught on. At this point nothing they threw my way surprised me.

For example by the time I got to the point that Ellie trades a dear to pedo guy for medicine(I don't know his name, I figured he'd be pedo guy from the moment I saw him) I already knew that zombies would show up while we were waiting and that I'd then have to fight his group to escape. The second half of the game just hits the same beats over and over again to the point of monotony.

All of that said I do love the game, but more for the story than the gameplay. I really don't see myself playing it again.

One last thing, the ending. I really don't believe Ellie thinks Joel is telling the truth. I'm pretty sure she assumed Joel had his reasons for leaving the firefly base and would leave it at that.

Anyway what were your impressions of the game, did you think my problems were issues too? Discuss

Hubb

I know it's meant to be about difficulty but the severe lack of checkpoints in Grounded mode just makes me get bored and switch the game off when I die.

The hell am I gonna play through that exact same part again that took me 20 minutes. (maybe it's because it's my 8th playthrough).

Some parts are bad, but honestly after going through my Grounded playthrough I was underwhelmed. I expected it to be much worse (in terms of checkpoints) than it actually was. There were long sections, but nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. Maybe I just didn't die at the really bad parts, or I died early enough into the checkpoint that it didn't seem that bad.

spekkeh

Banned

I have to say, I love this game's story. The narrative works incredibly well, the characters are realistic and you can relate to all of them. You really buy Joel as a beaten and weary old man who's had to do plenty of things that he regrets just to survive. At the same time Ellie is the polar opposite. Having lived her whole life in the quarantine zone, she's seen some bad things, but is incredibly naive at the beginning about how the world works.

The mechanics also work well with the narrative. When you switch to Ellie, you're a much more vulnerable fighter. As in even attempting to melee an enemy can be deadly. She's also much faster and more agile than Joel, conversely, Joel is incredibly strong, and I found myself at times taking out whole rooms of armed enemies with my fists.

All that said, my God is the game play formulaic at times. I'm really surprised I've never seen complaints about this, but every portion of the game follows a distinct pattern. You show up in a peaceful area, look for stuff, upgrade, cute Ellie-Joel moment, then you end up having to dodge infected for a few minutes, then humans come in to muck things up so you have to fight them to escape. Nearly every portion of the game follows this pattern and about halfway threw I caught on. At this point nothing they threw my way surprised me.

For example by the time I got to the point that Ellie trades a dear to pedo guy for medicine(I don't know his name, I figured he'd be pedo guy from the moment I saw him) I already knew that zombies would show up while we were waiting and that I'd then have to fight his group to escape. The second half of the game just hits the same beats over and over again to the point of monotony.

All of that said I do love the game, but more for the story than the gameplay. I really don't see myself playing it again.

One last thing, the ending. I really don't believe Ellie thinks Joel is telling the truth. I'm pretty sure she assumed Joel had his reasons for leaving the firefly base and would leave it at that.

Anyway what were your impressions of the game, did you think my problems were issues too? Discuss
Yes.

Ricky_R

About the ending...
I'm pretty sure she knew. She hardly missed BS when it stared her in the face. I don't remember any instance in the game when she was that gullible, on the contrary.

About everything else... I didn't really notice any pattern in gameplay scenarios. I think the game is incredibly well balanced.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Not sure what you mean by pitfalls, but no there is nothing you really have to do. If you want to do the glitch so you can play your + game on a higher difficulty/grounded then you would have to do something.

Although it didn't happen to me I have seen people say that when they do it, it doesn't carry over everything it is suppose to. I'd create an extra save of your cleared game in case you need to redo the glitch to make sure everything carries over.

Awesome, thanks. That's pretty much what I meant by pitfalls (stuff to watch out for).

Fellow grounded players: what were the hardest parts for you?

I got stuck countless times in a good five places, but the generator room was not one of them.

The part with
Ellie and David fighting off infected. The highschool gym with the bloater could be tricky. And the firefly hospital.
The last two are fairly easy if you have the right tools for the job.

Gold Member
Well I have just finished my first ever play through of this and I have have just one word to describe it.....Wow!

Game of the years indeed, everything was superb I thought, the story, voice acting, animations, graphics - I loved it all.

I'm starting new game plus first thing tomorrow lol.

The
Hospital
is what gave me the most trouble on Grounded. I actually nearly got it in one try, but got spotted right by the final door and was unable to defend myself.

On the 5th try I snuck as much as I could and then simply ran for it with the flamethrower out. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Hubb

The
Hospital
is what gave me the most trouble on Grounded. I actually nearly got it in one try, but got spotted right by the final door and was unable to defend myself.

On the 5th try I snuck as much as I could and then simply ran for it with the flamethrower out. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm not sure you can sneak by the last 2 by the door without being seen. I always killed the 2 though, so maybe you can sneak by them. Unless I am thinking of the wrong spot.

murgo

My journey is now over. Took a while, but I'm happy now :)

2014-09-03%2009.44.29.png

Footos22

Loving grounded mode, Not finding it hard as i played with the same style on normal.
Just got through the financial district in one go. nice pile of about 10 bodies in the upstairs office lol all choked out like normal.

I'm gonna have a massive arsenal by the end of this game to tear through that
Hospital
Not as much as i did on normal as there isn't much ammo.
I never had one Molotov drop on normal though, Had 3 of them dropped from enemies on grounded already. I'm pretty much maxed out on ebverythign but smoke bombs but i only ever use them on mp.

Much better game on this difficulty although its extremely easy to manipulate the ai, especially runners. can take out hordes of them with just your fists.
That part in the school car park just confirmed that.

Still it's still the best game i have played in the last few years.

Cant wait to platinum it then move onto left behind for the first time ever.

gunbo13

Beat the game this weekend. Thoughts didn't change from my earlier post. LoU is a solid mash-up of some great ideas from past titles. There is no lasting appeal though IMO and I am likely not going to re-play the title. I'm a good ways into the DLC, which has some sweet texture work, but I kind of just want it to wrap up. I don't rate games but it is worth playing; by no means amazing. Best moments were bow head-shots to Clickers. The rest made me itch to instead go play Max Payne, MGS:GZ, HL2, Bioshock, etc... Individually better implementations of the mashed-up game-play elements. I guess that's a thing.

On a more important note, the pause SFX totally sounds like the first note in the Catch me if you Can main theme. Anyone else? Unless my hearing is reaching.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLDyrun_Cc
vs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX4EfIEnzzE

BEE+DO+DEE

About the ending...
I'm pretty sure she knew. She hardly missed BS when it stared her in the face. I don't remember any instance in the game when she was that gullible, on the contrary.

About everything else... I didn't really notice any pattern in gameplay scenarios. I think the game is incredibly well balanced.

I asked around my group of friends and they seemed to notice it too. Most conisdered it a flaw in the game. IDK maybe I have a bad opinion, but I couldn't shake the feeling of sameness I got when going threw the levels.

Anyone else listen
to all of Ellie's jokes and not get the hidden trophy? I even went through the IGN walkthrough and nothing. They said there were five sequences.
Any fix?

Hubb

Anyone else listen
to all of Ellie's jokes and not get the hidden trophy? I even went through the IGN walkthrough and nothing. They said there were five sequences.
Any fix?

As bad as it sounds I think the only "fix" is to go back and try to do the one the game thinks you missed. I had to do this for shiv doors. I know I got all of them, but when I went chapter select jumping to go through all of them again it popped on the 3rd shiv door.

Gold Member
Well that's the platinum sorted, was a quick run through survivor+ to get it. Thankfully nothing glitched for me and they all popped correctly.

Left behind is next for me, think I'll leave grounded mode for when I feel like playing the main story again.

Anyone else listen
Any fix?
One thing I noticed about this...

For the library one there are two places you can get her to tell you the jokes, the IGN guide tells you about the place upstairs by the cafe, however if you stand around downstairs in the middle of the room where there are reading booths she will also do it. I have no idea whether this makes a difference or not as I did mine downstairs and got the trophy, but from what others have been saying the trophies can be a bit buggy. Does your stats page say 5 jokes? If so I would go back and do one again to see if it pops as sometimes (in other games) this works, good luck :)

Oni Jazar

Man I spent all morning trying to get past this part on Grounded.

It's the big fight with Ellie and David against runners, clickers and a bloater.

I'm trying to conserve ammo early in the fight but it's tough to juggle so many inventory items and use the right one at the right time. I think I just need to keep trying.

Well that's the platinum sorted, was a quick run through survivor+ to get it. Thankfully nothing glitched for me and they all popped correctly.

Left behind is next for me, think I'll leave grounded mode for when I feel like playing the main story again.

One thing I noticed about this...

For the library one there are two places you can get her to tell you the jokes, the IGN guide tells you about the place upstairs by the cafe, however if you stand around downstairs in the middle of the room where there are reading booths she will also do it. I have no idea whether this makes a difference or not as I did mine downstairs and got the trophy, but from what others have been saying the trophies can be a bit buggy. Does your stats page say 5 jokes? If so I would go back and do one again to see if it pops as sometimes (in other games) this works, good luck :)

I finally got it. I went through and replayed the one at the library. I know I did that the first time. So glitchy.

Hyunkel6

I will be getting the game next Monday.

Do you guys recommend I play on hard or survivor? I did a PS3 playthrough a year ago on normal, and found the game on the easy side.

I heard that survivor is on the frustrating side. Is there any truth to that?

Gold Member
I will be getting the game next Monday.

Do you guys recommend I play on hard or survivor? I did a PS3 playthrough a year ago on normal, and found the game on the easy side.

I heard that survivor is on the frustrating side. Is there any truth to that?
I didn't find it so bad tbh. In fact all the bits I thought would be hard after my easy play through were OK on my survivor+ run.

I was pretty much upgraded on everything though so that probably helped, although I don't imagine a first play on survivor would be too hard if you have played the game already. The enemies seem to go down in the same amount of shots and there was no more of them than on easy. The biggest differences were enemy awareness, no listen mode and pretty much zero supplies / ammo for most of the game. The lack of supplies just means you really need to play the game stealthily but it isn't too hard if you have played through it before and know enemy positions, etc. I wouldn't say I was frustrated by any of it, however some bits do require you to be perfect with your shots, such as the whole David / mill sequence but for the most part you can rely on stealth or sneaking past enemies to progress. Also, I found Elle was more useful in Survivor mode as she frequently gave me ammo when I was low or had run out and was knifing enemies like there was no tomorrow.

Anyway, whatever you choose I'm sure you will have fun (again!) :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just beat this.

I'm crying so much.

Feel so empty.

Any reason to not buy this game used? I was going to buy the digital version but I saw someone selling the physical copy on craigslist for $30

Top Bottom