• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered Screenshot Contest: Click Click Click

GrizzNKev

Banned
My entry (for now). lol changed my mind already

thelastofusremastered1hj53.jpg

Derpcrawler

Why imgur, the fastest and most stable of all those hostings with no bandwidth cap or compression is banned?

No planning to participate in contest, but it's retarded to ban someone based on hosting they use, especially if it's imgur. What if I host my images on Amazon AWS?

Why imgur, the fastest and most stable of all those hostings with no bandwidth cap or compression is banned?

No planning to participate in contest, but it's retarded to ban someone based on hosting they use, especially if it's imgur. What if I host my images on Amazon AWS?

talk to VisceralBowl about that, he set the hosting site rules, either way the less people submit the easier it is to win ;p

Imgur doesn't compress images? That's news to me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Never noticed imgur compressing anything, really.
It's a huge resource for HQ wallpapers, and i'm rather sensitive to compression artifacts.

Haven't ever noticed any unless the source was already compressed.

Dinjooh

imgur said:

Derpcrawler

Imgur doesn't compress images? That's news to me.

talk to VisceralBowl about that, he set the hosting site rules, either way the less people submit the easier it is to win ;p

Those are all false. I can host damn uncompressed png without any issue:

1.8Mb uncompressed png screenshot. Imgur. If you upload in png or bmp you can host files up to 10Mb I think.

Edit: up to 2Mb on free account, which is more than enough for PNG, and is definitely more than enough for PS4 since it outputs screenshots in 200-300Kb range. It just feels dumb, why would you "ban" one of most popular image hosting sites, as far as neogaf, only tinypic is banned, no other hosting service is banned/

Derpcrawler

surely a 1080p capture from PS4 should be way under 1MB, and therefore upload as-is to imgur? Maybe it can be tested and see if it would be allowable?

The statement is false in the first place, if you don't like jpg, just upload in png and it won't compromise any quality at all. Example above. None of other services except for abload and minus, I think, allow to upload uncompressed png, at least in the free form.

The PlayStation 4 share button, which a majority of people use, does not output uncompressed PNG shots, as much as I would love it to. It outputs pretty heavily compressed JPG files. I have done tests that show imgur does in fact recompress these small JPG files from the PS4. Quality is lost in this process. I am aware of the Imgur PNG workaround and that works just fine.

You can use uncompressed PNG if you know what you are doing and you're under the limit. If you aren't going to convert your shot because that is too much work, you can use one other hosts. If you don't want to use one of those hosts either, then post in the Console Screenshot thread.

PS: All those hosts, except for Photobucket, accept uncompressed PNG on free accounts (or no account). They are free and simple to use as well. I wouldn't have chosen them if they were difficult or stubborn hosts.

AU Tiger

All about IQ. Imgur compresses everything that ins't a PNG under 2MB. Most people use the Share button and that already saves as a compressed JPG, uploading to imgur compresses it further, which is terrible for colors and IQ. Pro accounts can somewhat get around this compression/size limit limitation.

It is simple and easy to open an account at the one of the other sites, or use one of the ones that does not require an account.

Those who have paid imgur pro accounts should still be allowed to post using that host since they get uncompressed up to 10mb files.

Dumb question, but how do you unlock Photo Mode? It's not in my options. I am playing on Hard with No Listen Mode, does that matter?

Tangeroo

Dumb question, but how do you unlock Photo Mode? It's not in my options. I am playing on Hard with No Listen Mode, does that matter?

Make sure you have the day-one patch installed. Photo mode is enabled under Game Options and push L3 to use it. You can't use it during certain cutscenes and during scenes where you don't have character control, you can't move the camera.

Make sure you have the day-one patch installed. Photo mode is enabled under Game Options and push L3 to use it. You can't use it during certain cutscenes and during scenes where you don't have character control, you can't move the camera.

I see. I bet I didn't have the path installed. Thanks!

kubus

Some really good shots in here! I haven't decided yet what to submit. Still waiting for that golden Kodak moment.

Derpcrawler

Screw it, gonna try it, Michael Bay style:

http://i.imgur.com/dusDTbs.png

Edit: gonna change my entry, I think this screenshot captures the sense and atmosphere of Last of Us much better, at least for me. I love this location just for the fact that everything there is intact, only the dust set after all these years:

N93JcvD.png

Top Bottom