• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Japan) |OT| The Gooch's Final (?) Fantasy

thefro

Big meetings for the Gooch in Kyoto next week:

http://auuo.tumblr.com/

I’m leaving for Japan next week. I would like to show my gratitude directly to the people who assisted us. I certainly need to visit Kyoto and in addition I need to see many other people to show my gratitude and appreciation. In other words, such many people involved in this project. I sincerely would like to show my thankfulness. This is an important process for myself, too. This will be the foundation to have a positive mind. Whichever the way it’s proceeded, “positive energy” should be its inception.

GhaleonQ

http://squareenixmusic.com/features/liners/laststory.shtml

Uematsu's liner notes (click through):

Everything must eventually come to an end. A year ends after 365 days, a party cannot last forever, no matter how enjoyable, and even the most delicious bottle of wine will eventually be empty. No matter how proud a nation is of its civilization, it will eventually go to ruin, and a person's life will eventually reach its end.

But when one year ends, a new year begins; one can have another party, just as good as the last, and it can also be fun to uncork another bottle of wine. From ruins, new nations are built, and once we depart our bodies, we can start our journey in a new world (possibly).

The words "to end" have a sad ring in our ears, but changing one's perspective, they could also be seen as "a beginning." The meaning of the word "last" is the same as "an ending."

"Here, at the end..."
"This last time..."

These words are used to express strong resolve. I believe that the resolve that we see in the word "last" is connected to its meaning, as close as I can get to the truth, "the beginning of something new." The title of this game, The Last Story, expresses the resolve of many people. What kind of new things will begin as a result of this game? Myself, I am looking forward to finding out.

Oh, but then there's "Mama, I want some spending money. Come on, it's the last time, I promise!" In that case, I'm sorry, but nothing new comes out of that "last."

farnham

Banned
i really hope iwata will greenlit a sequel

the game has so many strongpoints and could definately be a very major title for nintendo in the future if they market it well.

do i see it happen ? no as it is suited for hardcore gamers that are probably going to write this game off because its on a nintendo platform.

still this and xenoblade (which im currently enjoying) are games that really showed me that jrpgs can have a future (xenoblade for being a good example of the old virtues of a good jrpg and last story for bringing so much new and fresh ideas on the table).

Bulzeeb

farnham said:
i really hope iwata will greenlit a sequel

the game has so many strongpoints and could definately be a very major title for nintendo in the future if they market it well.

do i see it happen ? no as it is suited for hardcore gamers that are probably going to write this game off because its on a nintendo platform.

still this and xenoblade (which im currently enjoying) are games that really showed me that jrpgs can have a future (xenoblade for being a good example of the old virtues of a good jrpg and last story for bringing so much new and fresh ideas on the table).

A sequel already? I hope Iwata greenlit the game for a release outside of japan >_<

farnham

Banned
Bulzeeb said:
A sequel already? I hope Iwata greenlit the game for a release outside of japan >_<
yeah that too

but i think localizing this is probably impossible given how about 12 people will buy this in NA (its a JRPG thats not Final Fantasy)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
ronito said:
so how did this sell? Given the Xenoblade disappointment I'm doubting this has any chance of localization.

It sold about the expected amount this generation seems to have for new RPG IPs of 130,000ish. Whether that's enough for Nintendo or not, perhaps we'll never know. :(

Well a little something interesting I thought I would share here on NeoGAF.

I tweeted at RPGFan.com about Xenoblade having a EU announcement, and I mentioned Mistwalker in the tweet.
See that tweet here: http://twitter.com/brettchalupa/status/53488523067658240

Well Mistalker tweeted back at me with a little hint at it coming to the US.
See that tweet here: http://twitter.com/#!/mistwalker/status/53860314923536386

I know it isn't much, but it is something. It means that something is in bound for this title in the States, which is more than I could ever ask for really. I think it is great that Mistwalker has been on twitter since the beginning of develop, and actually talks with their fans.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Mistwalker have been saying such things ages now. At one point they hinted at an announcement before the end of the year but that never came, possibly due to Nintendo's shift to 3DS focus. I think most people believe this will get localised. Shit takes time and they aren't gonna launch it a day after Xenoblade either. Personally idk why people had given up on Xenoblade, it's not uncommon for Monolith Soft games to take a year or so for a localisation, and that game was apparently huge. Mistwalker's The Last Story isn't as huge but it has a ton of spoken dialogue so that will take a long time also. Xenoblade was pushed less in Japan yet it's coming, I'm sure both will. Well, in EU at least.

Alextended said:
Mistwalker have been saying such things ages now. At one point they hinted at an announcement before the end of the year but that never came, possibly due to Nintendo's shift to 3DS focus. I think most people believe this will get localised. Shit takes time and they aren't gonna launch it a day after Xenoblade either. Personally idk why people had given up on Xenoblade, it's not uncommon for Monolith Soft games to take a year or so for a localisation, and that game was apparently huge. Mistwalker's The Last Story isn't as huge but it has a ton of spoken dialogue so that will take a long time also. Xenoblade was pushed less in Japan yet it's coming, I'm sure both will. Well, in EU at least.

I struggle to see why Nintendo would localize both games for EU and then note release the English translation in the US. I mean, has that ever even happened before?

I also think that Nintendo of America knows there is a pretty large sized JRPG fanbase out there who want to dust off their Wii's. I can't really say that I have played a quality RPG on the Wii out of the entire time I have owned it.

ivysaur12

Banned
brettchalupa said:
Well a little something interesting I thought I would share here on NeoGAF.

I tweeted at RPGFan.com about Xenoblade having a EU announcement, and I mentioned Mistwalker in the tweet.
See that tweet here: http://twitter.com/brettchalupa/status/53488523067658240

Well Mistalker tweeted back at me with a little hint at it coming to the US.
See that tweet here: http://twitter.com/#!/mistwalker/status/53860314923536386

I know it isn't much, but it is something. It means that something is in bound for this title in the States, which is more than I could ever ask for really. I think it is great that Mistwalker has been on twitter since the beginning of develop, and actually talks with their fans.

That's their go-to response whenever someone asks them about localization. No real news here, unfortunately.

ivysaur12 said:
That's their go-to response whenever someone asks them about localization. No real news here, unfortunately.

Hmmph. :( I guess it was a little bit of excitement over nothing, sorry. Well at least it isn't something that is off the radar after the Japanese release. They are still active on the account, so it's a good sign.

farnham

Banned
currently listening to roleplayers realm ep 1

and they have a pretty in depth last story discussion

i really love it!

sublimit

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
If they're bringing over Xenoblade I doubt they wouldn't bring over Sakaguchi's game which has more Western influence...

At this point i consider Nintendo capable for the most illogical decisions so it wouldn't surprise me...

Hmm...interesting.

TLS's trademark is filed for opposition:

http://www.trademarkia.com/nintendo-the-last-story-77910766.html

"Status Update! On Tuesday, May 17, 2011, status on the NINTENDO THE LAST STORY trademark changed to PUBLISHED FOR OPPOSITION.

On Wednesday, January 13, 2010, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for NINTENDO THE LAST STORY. This trademark is owned by Nintendo Co., Ltd., Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 601-8501. The USPTO has given the NINTENDO THE LAST STORY trademark serial number of 77910766. The current federal status of this trademark filing is PUBLISHED FOR OPPOSITION."

According to this, the opposition period is the last step before the Certificate of Registration is issued.

So it's possible might hear something about a Western release in a month or two or something.

Javier

Bel Marduk said:
Hmm...interesting.

TLS's trademark is filed for opposition:

http://www.trademarkia.com/nintendo-the-last-story-77910766.html

According to this, the opposition period is the last step before the Certificate of Registration is issued.

So it's possible might hear something about a Western release in a month or two or something.
I just checked this, and noticed just a couple of days ago the notice was changed again:

Status Update! On Tuesday, July 12, 2011, status on the NINTENDO THE LAST STORY trademark changed to NOTICE OF ALLOWANCE - ISSUED.
Doing a little research, I found this regarding "Notice of Allowance"

Notice of allowance (NOA) is a written notification from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). NOA shows that a specific trademark has survived the opposition period following publication in the Official Gazette. NOA provides that a trademark has been allowed for registration. However, it does not mean that the mark has registered yet. Receiving a NOA is another step on the way to registration.

NOAs are only issued for applications that have been filed based on intent to use. The NOA is important because the issue date of the NOA provides the due date for filing a statement of use. Only after receiving the NOA can an applicant file a statement of use. After receiving a NOA an applicant can also file a request for an extension of time to file a statement of use within 6 months from the issue date of the notice. If the applicant fails to timely file a statement of use or a request for an extension of time to file a statement of use, the application can be abandoned.
Based on that it does seem that Nintendo has the intent to release this here. I'm not celebrating just yet, but of all the games NoA has yet to release, this clearly seems the most likely one.

Top Bottom