• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story |OT| Now confirmed worldwide

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Hey guys how does the Classic Controller work with this game? Thinking about picking up one for Xenoblade, curious about if it's as helpful or more helpful than mote/chuck combo.

Shiggy

Hey guys how does the Classic Controller work with this game? Thinking about picking up one for Xenoblade, curious about if it's as helpful or more helpful than mote/chuck combo.

I tried it with the CC, but much preferred the Wii Remote+NunChuk combo. But well, I prefer this setup for all titles apart from SSBB.

GC|Simon

Done! Whoa. What a beautiful ending. Yeah, a bit cutesy but still damn beautiful. Loved the game. It was actually my first game from Sakaguchi and most likely not my last one. I really hope for a "Very Last Story" on Wii U - or maybe something completely different. I don't care if the quality is on TLS level.

The game is far away from being perfect, there quite a few flaws, especially regarding the graphics: There are a lot of super muddy textures and the game is always fighting with slowdowns. But on the bottom line, there are so many things which compensate for the flaws. Under them are:

- a fantastic and fun combat system with some strategic aspects
- a straight forward gameplay
- a bunch of interesting and lovely characters
- a couple of interesting side quests in the form of real chapters
- great art design
- an outstanding soundtrack

Overall the game was an extremely worthwhile experience I wouldn't like to miss. After Xenoblade and Zelda, the straight forward gameplay was exactly the right thing for me. There is only one thing which makes me sad: The game's title is in the true sense of the words true... The Last Story is most likely the last big story which has been told on Wii.

Shiggy

Beat it! Best Wii hardcore game I've played. In constrast to Skyward Sword I really enjoyed this one. It was straight forward and had one of the best battle systems I've encountered.
Of course, the game had a few flaws like the framerate drops. But for some reason, this was an issue at only a few occasions.

I also liked the credits and the credits theme, the song of the witch.

So those are my general feelings. I wonder whether I'll get to play such a title anytime soon.

Some random things:
Was I the only one who accidently skipped the last 2 chapters? I then returned to get them done and I think the
marriage scene
in chapter 42 was kind of important.
Also funny, I must have been overlevelled by the end. Going into the final battle at level 69 or 70 made everything past that point very easy.
Lastly, am I the only one who enjoyed stealing the beast of an enemy to ride on it and fight other enemies?

GC|Simon

Some random things:
Was I the only one who accidently skipped the last 2 chapters? I then returned to get them done and I think the
marriage scene
in chapter 42 was kind of important.
Also funny, I must have been overlevelled by the end. Going into the final battle at level 69 or 70 made everything past that point very easy.
Lastly, am I the only one who enjoyed stealing the beast of an enemy to ride on it and fight other enemies?

I accidently skipped chapter 43. After beating the final boss I walked around in the castle and the city. In the castle I crossed swords with Therius and did that riding mini game. I've to admit that the end game content is really nice! I also did the mausoleum chapter. Then I went to the city and talked to the bar maid. A few minutes later I saw the credits and saved my game... no more chance to play chapter 43. Though, I watched it on YouTube. I think chapter 41 was far more important story-wise.

Regarding the end boss: Zael was on level 69, all the others on 63. So the boss was not a real problem.

Shiggy

Does anybody know what the green line on the lower side of the screen was? I thought it was related to my TV, but it only appeared in this game. Now I watched the boss fight in CH42 on Youtube again and noticed that the Youtube walkthrough also has this green line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhDPVqhq8PI&feature=BFa&list=SP556DC2E87BDF5A8D&lf=list_related
Don't worry, that video is from chapter 4, so no spoilers.

Did only I take the easy way in CH42? I was eaten by the spider and then killed it from the inside quickly.

I know I'm late to the "waiting for arrival party", but I ordered this bad boy through eBay on Friday from a guy in Cali just got it today! (I'm on the other side of the country) I'm shocked and HYPED. First class shipping indeed. Lay it on me, Sakaguchi-san.
QmIwo.jpg

I ended up playing for close to six hours last night and tell me if I'm too overpowered at this point: Level 15 and I just retrieved the medicine for Warren. I just couldn't stop fighting in the Arena. The combat is simply a fucking blast and I love the enemy spawn points for grinding. I was hooked immediatley.

At this moment I feel this game is like a wet dream for those who grew up playing the Squaresoft classics on SNES and PS1. I know some knocked Uematsus' compositions for not being as good or catchy as his previous efforts, but I find that his style is along the lines of a fine wine and with age, his sound has matured into a more powerful epic scope with hints of his past work. The theme that plays while you're running around the city has a FFVII vibe to it while the Arena gives hints of Chrono Cross with the violin crescendos.

Graphically it reminds me of Vagrant Story crossed with some FFXII and some Fable sprinkles. I think it's by far one of the best looking games the Wii has to offer. The particle effects alone are quite impressive

While Zael can sound a bit stael sometimes, the rest of the cast seems to balance things out with their performances so far. I'm really digging Syrenne, but it's probably because of my own precious alcohol habit.

If there's one complaint I have (and it's not the framerate. I notice it, but it doesn't bother me), it's the lack of any sort of direction or log in terms of sidequests. I've only completed one, which was finding six coins scattered about, but that's it. A couple other people asked me to fetch items for them but the sun went down, and it seemed like they disappeared, or maybe I just couldn't find them.

I can see why people would throw out comparisons to Xenoblade (Op rainfall/NoA's one time forbidden fruit to Americans.), although it's completely irrational and unnessecary. The game really stands on it's own and I love it for that. Can't wait to get home and kick some more ass.

GC|Simon

So I'm thinking of picking this up. Without reading the rest of the thread, what is the general consensus?

Most people love the game. There are a few flaws - especially regarding the technical aspects of the game - but those are equalized by a great combat system, interesting story, etc. Conclusion: Join the party!

Oxx

I enjoyed my time with the game, but since finishing it I have barely thought about it.

The aspects I liked and the problems I had with it both became apparent in the very first areas of the game, and continued in that vein throughout the rest of the game.

It's a pretty solidly put together game with some good character moments. I just wish that Sakaguchi would get the chance to refine things in a sequel.

flyover

I enjoyed my time with the game, but since finishing it I have barely thought about it.

The aspects I liked and the problems I had with it both became apparent in the very first areas of the game, and continued in that vein throughout the rest of the game.

Yeah, my early opinion was that it's a solid three-chord pop song of a game, and I felt the same way after I finished it.

I'm really glad I played it, and I consider the time doing so well-spent. The combat was pretty fun, the voice acting good, and the characters likable enough. The plot didn't quite reach the potential I thought it had early on, but the characters kept me engaged.

But, like you, it hasn't really stuck with me. When I was done, I was done. I haven't felt the need to peruse FAQs, reviews, and Wikis afterward -- or go back and finish up some sidequests -- the way I am with a lot of games. I still subscribe to this thread, but that's about it.

I thought the whole accusation of kidnapping -> courtroom -> dungeon -> dungeon escape -> courtroom scenes really brought back memories of Chrono Trigger. I keep having to tell myself throughout playing that it isn't an old Squaresoft game, let alone made by Squaresoft.

Lvl 37. 21 hours in. Chapter 26.

Krathoon

I am impressed by how well this game really captures the group feel. The hiding, strategy, and voice acting adds greatly to the immersion.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Can someone explain the chapter system to me? I started at 1 - 3 - 6? Am I really skipping stuff here? I'm currently on a quest to get medicine.

Zornica

Banned
some chapters are optional. It's possible to miss them entirely. you should always talk to as many npcs as possible to avoid that

Zornica

Banned
not really.... no. missing them is certainly possible, but if you are playing in a normal way without ignoring anything except for the main path you shouldn't miss more than one, maybe 2 at most.
They can be done out of order, which means you could do 23 before 20 for example.
btw: you can relax, you haven't missed any yet. most quest givers are always in the tavern, or some npcs there tell you where to go for an extra chapter.

Apologies if bumping this thread is a bit of a faux pas, please forgive my junior-ness. I've just completed chapter 23 and now Zael is sitting in his room and I can't seem to do anything to advance the game. Either I'm missing something or this is a really bad bug. I've tried reloading a couple of times (having to power off the system to do so as the game won't allow the use of the home button while Zael is sitting here like this) and had the exact same problem. Has anyone else run into this sort of issue or heard of anything similar?

It's pretty disappointing, I'd been really enjoying the game.

Edit: so after leaving the game in this state for about 20-30 minutes I came back to it, mashed buttons on the controller again and Zael got up. The Last Story continues!

Zornica

Banned
you will encounter that "bug" a lot more after missions from now on.

(by pressing the controllstick forward, you can stand up :p)

Yeah, it's happened before multiple times, obviously (though I was never clear on whether pressing a or pushing up on the control stick was what was getting Zael up). This time the game wasn't responding for at least 5-10 minutes no matter what I did with the pad.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So what's the deal with online play?

I finally tried out Co-Op today and I found a rare sword that at least x2 as good as everything else I own right now (Lv15), and I was surprised to see that I would keep this in the main game. So can you grind out for some really good equipment online to carry over with you into the main game? Seems like a really good way to get OP for playing offline.

Also, I was shocked to see almost no lag during the boss battle. Am I playing with other US players or EU players, since I am playing the PAL copy? It worked extremely well, I'd love to see something like this used for Very Last Story or whatever they come up with next!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Chapter 16 in and really really enjoying this game! The decision to include lives in the combat is definitely... Unique. Makes combat easy but at the same time it prevents frustration when you die in the middle of a chaotic battle.

Wish I had more time to play it. But I do enjoy the thirty minute sessions of this game at a time. Good pacing between story and combat in short chunks.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I love running through crowds and shoving everyone out of my way, servants, women, knights, anyone who dares in my path gets shoved! Haha it's hilarious, probably funnier than Assassin's Creed shoving.

Ya know the graphical issues really haven't bothered me a lot. THis game does a good job of masking the Wii's limitations to not impede gameplay, at least for me. This game does seem to be in over its head in what it wants to do (8 party members?!), and it would be great to see it beefed up with a better frame rate and resolution on WiiU. But honestly nothing has taken away from the game to me. It's kinda funny how just about everything not in your direction vision is blurry... then comes into focus when you look straight ahead. It's a nice touch that makes it feel a bit more realisitic... and hides the Wii's lack of power.

Chapter 18 in, such such an enjoyable game. I can't wait for the NA release to get mroe people playing and talking about this game.

Quick question: Gametop/EB games has release date in June, but Gamespot.com has release date in July. Anyone know the confirmed NA release date?

Shiggy

I love running through crowds and shoving everyone out of my way, servants, women, knights, anyone who dares in my path gets shoved! Haha it's hilarious, probably funnier than Assassin's Creed shoving.

You should really try to catch 5 frogs and you'll be in for a surprise. I loved running into people and my family laughed at me because of that. Near the end of the game I decided to finish all sidequests, including the 5 frogs.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Oh man I just did the Invisibility Dye side quest... that shit's hilarious! Now I can play this game Xenoblade style and put everyone in their underwear - every cutscene just looks ridiculous.

Aside from that, I really dig the 'style' of this game. I'm replaying through FFIX right now and the two games are pretty good styles of light heartedness that keeps the game fun and not too melodramatic. The dialog in both games are just witty and sharp! The haunted mansion and 'love arrow' side quests are fantastic.

I am really digging the more focused setting of this game than more traditional RPGs where you go off and save the world. After playing Xenoblade, Dragon Quest IX, and FF9 currently, this is a nice change of pace.

kunonabi

Anyone up for some online matches? I'd like to collect all those essences but I couldn't find any matches when I tried last time.

MarkusRJR

What's happening with the release date of this game for North America? I paid off my pre-order entirely a month or two ago, and every time I check the release date it's moved later and later. Oh, and are all pre-orders at EB Games including the bonuses?

Magnus

My EB just called me and said this is out this Tuesday, July 31. I told him I was sure the announcement was for a release date in mid-August, and the guy said he thought so as well, but that their head office just sent an email out confirming the date was moved up and to start calling all preorder customers now for Tuesday.

So this seems to be for real!

In Toronto, btw.

Varshes

My EB just called me and said this is out this Tuesday, July 31. I told him I was sure the announcement was for a release date in mid-August, and the guy said he thought so as well, but that their head office just sent an email out confirming the date was moved up and to start calling all preorder customers now for Tuesday.

So this seems to be for real!

In Toronto, btw.

Which EB? Was just in today and the date was August 14th.

Sora_N

I can't wait to buy this and not play it for a long time. My Wii's broken right now lol. I just want the LE bonuses, it's worth it to me.

Reveirg

Anybody knows where I can find the screenshot of the game's first early version prototype? Looked quite different, more sci-fi. Thanks!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, apparently this got pushed back to Friday at my GS. Still they gave me the soundtrack CD when I went into the store yesterday...

Top Bottom