• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Shadowlink said:
So I'm confused! Is this game supposed to be FF VII before they changed it, or was this a game they were developing while developing FF VII?

no, the creator was thinking of this game since FF7 was completed.

Shadowlink said:
So I'm confused! Is this game supposed to be FF VII before they changed it, or was this a game they were developing while developing FF VII?

It might use some ideas from the prototype he was working on during FF7 development, but I doubt that that game will ever be released as a whole.

So were they thinking of making this as a New IP? I wonder what stopped them. He left in 2001 and FF VII released in 1997, so I guess he had 3 years to think about it.

Glass Soldier said:
*huff puff* *comes from other thread completely exhausted*

Tell me what you know about the localization of Zangeki no REGINLEIV! :mad:

YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! This is the game that's pushing me towards a Wii. Well, either way, I'll import if they don't bring it over. I doubt I'll have trouble slicing and dicing things in Japanese.

wsippel

Banned
Probably already mentioned, but the roman numerals in the background are slightly weird. It looks like a clock at a first glance, but it ranges from IV to X - Final Fantasy X was the last Final Fantasy where Sakaguchi was involved. Given all the other FF references, I wouldn't be surprised if that, too, was related...

wsippel said:
Probably already mentioned, but the roman numerals in the background are slightly weird. It looks like a clock at a first glance, but it ranges from IV to X - Final Fantasy X was the last Final Fantasy where Sakaguchi was involved. Given all the other FF references, I wouldn't be surprised if that, too, was related...
Yes, someone mentioned that earlier. Still, it's a nice catch, and it makes the game all the more intriguing. I'm not huge on RPGs, but I would really like to hear more about this.

Cow Mengde said:
YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!! This is the game that's pushing me towards a Wii. Well, either way, I'll import if they don't bring it over. I doubt I'll have trouble slicing and dicing things in Japanese.

He will never tell us though :lol
:'(

selig

Banned
cacildo said:
Enjoy this story, cause its gonna be the last

Of course, it will be the last story within the game´s universe. Just like Final Fantasy, where it IS the "final" story of its respective universe. Except for X-2.

radcliff

LINK.AGE76 said:
I think there are 3 teams in Monolithsoft. Xeno team, BK team and the VS team. We all know the Xeno team as well as the BK team. The VS team is the Namco VS Capcom dev, they made the SRW games on DS; the gameplay is very similar I believe. That's my speculation tho

So which team made Disaster? Or was this game made from some developers from each group?

ILikeFeet

Banned
wsippel said:

maybe this story is a reinterpretation of the past FF games.

wsippel

Banned
ILikeFeet said:
maybe this story is a reinterpretation of the past FF games.
Or Sakaguchi considers this game the continuation of Final Fantasy. It's not possible to see what comes after X because the protagonist(?) blocks the view - or maybe that's actually the point, and she, and therefore The Last Story, follows X.

hitsugi

wsippel said:
Or Sakaguchi considers this game the continuation of Final Fantasy. It's not possible to see what comes after X because the protagonist(?) blocks the view - or maybe that's actually the point, and she, and therefore The Last Story, follows X.

deep.

and actually maybe you're on to something here

Akai

I think people are looking way too deeply into this clock thing...If you place numbers accordingly in a circle at the proper spacings then you'll see it's just a 24 hour clock...

If they were really going for the "Final Fantasy ends at X" symbolism then they wouldn't have hidden I-III...

What makes everyone so sure this is the "prototype from FFVII"? The reason I ask is because from what I see on Sakaguchi's blog, that is not certain. If he has confirmed this or I am missing something please inform me!

March 1st, 2008-

"We're doing research & development from a prototype that I haven't worked on since FF7. We're finished with that for now. There were a lot of trials and errors, and it took longer than expected, but it was an unexpectedly good challenge. I'm reminded again of how "it pays when things are working," so taking advantage of what a prototype offers, there were many trials and ideas that didn't seem to work out, but I think we made a new feeling and experience. From here on out is a phase in which we take steps towards our next product. The scenario is still just a rough plot. We brainstorm, rethink, and exchange ideas every day. Anyway, the whole team is moving towards those "new ideas." Our struggling efforts may reach us even higher than our first wave, and take us to the next level. So, that's what we hope for !

December 27th, 2008 -

I’ve finally reached half way up the mountain in regards to the latest project I’m on. Of course, there is a lot of work left to do, but I feel it’s approaching something I wanted to achieve. I’m betting a lot on this project.

Oh, and I have an announcement.....
the project, “Cry On,” is no longer in production. I had a lot of special feelings behind the story of the Rock Giant and the young girl, but I regret not being able to go with it.

That being said, I’m starting a completely new, large scale project, different from this. I can’t reveal the platform, release date or the content of the game itself, but I’m putting my full strength into this project; including 120% of my emotions.

“Something new” is always a difficult proposition.
Challenging the idea, I find the energy from myself and sense the feeling of living. Sense of fulfillment; I sincerely feel the importance of it.

This seems like when he starts development on The Last Story, from the way it's worded I can't tell for sure if it's the same thing as the "FF7 prototype" entry earlier.

ILikeFeet

Banned
-WindYoshi- said:
What makes everyone so sure this is the "prototype from FFVII"? The reason I ask is because from what I see on Sakaguchi's blog, that is not certain. If he has confirmed this or I am missing something please inform me!

March 1st, 2008-

December 27th, 2008 -

This seems like when he starts development on The Last Story, from the way it's worded I can't tell for sure if it's the same thing as the "FF7 prototype" entry earlier.

I'm just referencing the old thread. I may have the exact title wrong though. I really never followed him until this announcement.

[Nintex]

It seems to me that Microsoft dropped the funding of Sakaguchi's project much like they started to run their first party studios in the ground during those days. Sakaguchi probably met with some Nintendo folk and in exchange for a new Lego set, a MacBook Air and a surfboard signed by Iwata he agreed to work with Nintendo.

Knowing how Nintendo keeps memo's and archives and releases products based on ideas they cooked up twenty years earlier. They were probably thrilled about Sakaguchi's ancient prototype and wanted him to develop it further, in the end The Last Story was created.

[Nintex] said:
It seems to me that Microsoft dropped the funding of Sakaguchi's project much like they started to run their first party studios in the ground during those days. Sakaguchi probably met with some Nintendo folk and in exchange for a new Lego set, a MacBook Air and a surfboard signed by Iwata he agreed to work with Nintendo.

Knowing how Nintendo keeps memo's and archives and releases products based on ideas they cooked up twenty years earlier. They were probably thrilled about Sakaguchi's ancient prototype and wanted him to develop it further, in the end The Last Story was created.

Brilliant analysis. :lol

Khrno

-WindYoshi- said:

I don't know why there's people talking that TLS is a FF7 prototype, if as far as I know, Sakaguchi has never said anything about any such prototypes. People are just confusing the "game he started planning after FF7 was finished" with something FF7 related.

AceBandage said:
Indeed.
However, they've had Xenoblade on every NA release list since E3, and I have a good feeling Last Story will make it over too, but probably not this year.

I'm quite confident that both will be getting English releases, actually, but Nintendo still sucks. :lol

Glass Soldier said:
Tell me what you know about the localization of Zangeki no REGINLEIV! :mad:

That it's never going to happen?

If given the choice, I'd take The Last Story and Xenoblade over Reginleiv any day, basically Reginleiv is by far the third of importance to me, in all honesty, the only two things that really interest me are the graphics and the huge enemies, I'm not too liking of the way the camera is always behind you and you have to turn like a tank, and dashing seems like a lazy way to move faster.

But I DO want to play it, but I just want The Last Story and Xenoblade MORE! :p

Looks like this is even bigger than we thought, as Gooch confirmed that he and his team are entirely focused on The Last Story:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/02/sakaguchi_focused_on_last_story/

Mistwalker CEO Hironobu Sakaguchi is a big shot producer, so it's likely that he handles multiple projects at once. At present, however, his focus is on one project in particular: The Last Story.

In his latest post at the Mistwalker blog, Sakaguchi said of the recently announced Wii RPG, "At present, I'm focused on this one game. It's my only project."

He likened development of the game to raising a lone daughter, although he later noted that the game is actually like a child who's receiving the love of the entire development staff. "It will be raised strongly, beautifully, and gently," said Sakaguchi.

While The Last Story is Sakaguchi's only game project, he does still find time for hobbies. In the blog post, you'll see his latest lego creation. He put the ship together while waiting for the required documents to download.

The download process apparently takes an hour due to the slow internet speeds in Hawaii. It looks like Sakaguchi is away from Japan at present.

Bel Marduk said:
Wiki says they're based in Japan, Hawaii, Honolulu, and the US. Is Hawaii their main HQ? It just seems really weird :p

Not sure. If the boss is in Hawaii, I'd imagine the main HQ would be too, but it doesn't always work that way.

hteng

Banned
whats with the weird game titles and japanese developers ? can't they just use something that sounds good and makes sense.. like.. Vagrant Story.

Foov

I've totally lost interest in jrpgs over the last few years, but this one seems like it could be a great return to what FF had before it got nomura'd, which might be enough to suck me back in.

duckroll

Mistwalker is a design studio, not a developer. There are only a few guys working at Mistwalker, and the office is in Tokyo. Sakaguchi lives in Hawaii, he does not live in Japan. He flies back to Japan now and then to see how things are going, but mostly he just runs his company long distance.

Darkman M

duckroll said:
Mistwalker is a design studio, not a developer. There are only a few guys working at Mistwalker, and the office is in Tokyo. Sakaguchi lives in Hawaii, he does not live in Japan. He flies back to Japan now and then to see how things are going, but mostly he just runs his company long distance.

:lol Are you his secretary? Anyways i always look forward to anything gooch is involved in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom