• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Big One said:
I really hope these are joke posts...

Why would mine be a joke post? I dont like the design fundamentals behind most JRPGs and I dislike their art, so I'm not well versed in the JRPG scene, who's who, which developers are known for good games, etc.

"MISTWALKER + NINTENDO JRPG!!!" means nothing to me. That is why I asked. There's nothing wrong with being uninformed about a genre you dont enjoy.

Big One

Banned
ShineALight said:
I believe Nintendo owns the franchise, and if that's the case, it's the first traditional non-Mario spin-off RPG franchise from the company on consoles (which discounts Golden Sun, Pokemon and Fire Emblem).
Mother (except for Mother 3), Fire Emblem (which is majorly ON consoles), Baten Kaitos, and tons of obscure little RPG games healthily disagree with you.
EatChildren said:
Why would mine be a joke post? I dont like the design fundamentals behind most JRPGs and I dislike their art, so I'm not well versed in the JRPG scene, who's who, which developers are known for good games, etc.

"MISTWALKER + NINTENDO JRPG!!!" means nothing to me. That is why I asked. There's nothing wrong with being uninformed about a genre you dont enjoy.
Well I think the first "joke" I felt was rather off is that, for one, you're saying you're not well versed in JRPGs yet say that you also dislike JRPGs in general...how could you even have a decent consensus on them or even say you dislike them when you aren't versed in them?

And as everyone else is pointing out, Mistwalker is a studio formed by the guy who created the Final Fantasy series, and they put out two solid JRPGs (that I really liked, at least) in the form of Lost Odyssey and ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat; Blue Dragon was only okay at best. This project is what he's been planning ever since the production of FFVII as a replacement of the Final Fantasy franchise, and it's finally being put on the Wii with the assistance of Nintendo developers. Aka it's double awesome for any gaming fan.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dragonlife29 said:
So, what interested you in The Last Story? You came in here so I assume it somehow piqued your curiosity.

Because I've heard the buzz on a couple of other forums and despite supposedly having bugger all info this thread is rather long. Curiosity. I had heard of Mistwalker but hadn't heard of them as being big or important.

EatChildren said:
Because I've heard the buzz on a couple of other forums and despite supposedly having bugger all info this thread is rather long. Curiosity. I had heard of Mistwalker but hadn't heard of them as being big or important.

They made Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

Big One said:
Mother (expect for Mother 3), Fire Emblem (which is majorly ON consoles), Baten Kaitos, and tons of obscure little RPG games healthily disagree with you.

I know I was inviting myself to be contradicted with that post, which is why I included the word traditional (which, to be fair, Mother mostly is, so you got me there). I'd disqualify BK and FE based on being card-based and an SRPG series, respectively. What I meant to say wasn't that this is Nintendo's first RPG series, but perhaps their first traditional, fantasy JRPG series in line with FF and DQ.

To further contradict myself, this could ALSO be a card-based RPG for all we know. Maybe I should have reserved that comment until this game is actually revealed, but I do believe it represents Nintendo's first attempt to establish a serious, traditional (there's that word again) RPG series.

EatChildren

AceBandage said:
They made Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

Excellent.

Big One said:
Well I think the first "joke" I felt was rather off is that, for one, you're saying you're not well versed in JRPGs yet say that you also dislike JRPGs in general...how could you even have a decent consensus on them or even say you dislike them when you aren't versed in them?

Because there are particular art and design roots that tend to span across entries of particular genres. I am not usually a fan of the ones common in JRPGs, thus I dont know much about Mistwalker or why people are excited for this news, hence me asking.

Its not hard to work out dude.

Big One

Banned
ShineALight said:
I know I was inviting myself to be contradicted with that post, which is why I included the word traditional (which, to be fair, Mother mostly is, so you got me there). I'd disqualify BK and FE based on being card-based and an SRPG series, respectively. What I meant to say wasn't that this is Nintendo's first RPG series, but perhaps their first traditional, fantasy JRPG series in line with FF and DQ.
I'm probably going to be called a troll for this, but Fire Emblem is about as traditional as you can get when it comes to tactics RPG games to be quite honest. I've always considered it rather clear cut and normal as an SRPG game.

But yeah, I also feel like The Last Story won't be a traditional RPG even if it ends up being turn-based or ATB-esque. Lost Odyssey was traditional in a lot of ways but at the same time did a lot of things rather differently too.
EatChildren said:
Because there are particular art and design roots that tend to span across entries of particular genres. I am not usually a fan of the ones common in JRPGs.
I think this can apply to any genre on an equal level; it is really one's own fault if they prefer one style to another no matter how well designed it is. No need to blame the genres.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
LO is basically FF9 rapped around a story that falls apart somewhere around halfway through.

Pretty decent graphics though. I'd say it is very traditional in most ways.

BD to extend this thought was also trying to be another RPG, this time Dragon Quest. A bad DQ Clone mixed with FF 5 is my favorite analogy.

EatChildren

Big One said:
I think this can apply to any genre on an equal level; it is really one's own fault if they prefer one style to another no matter how well designed it is. No need to blame the genres.

What?

I never implied my dislike for JRPGs was anything more than my own personal taste and in no way criticised or attacked the genre. You're jumping down my throat over an issue you're making up. Stop it.

Nothing new about the game, but Kitase gives his thoughts on the game.

"I don't really feel like the name The Last Story really overlaps with Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi-san probably just wanted a simple straightforward title that Japanese users can pick up and understand. It's a very Sakaguchi-san-like title."

Linkup

Bel Marduk said:
"I don't really feel like the name The Last Story really overlaps with Final Fantasy because Sakaguchi-san probably just wanted a simple straightforward title that Japanese users can pick up and understand. It's a very Sakaguchi-san-like title."

You tell'em Kitase, besides Sakaguchi never had anything to do with Final Fantasy...

bad translation? bad pr? or maybe Kitase really is that ignorant.

AceBandage said:
Well, in one week, we have that little summit thing.
Maybe then?
Hopefully...

Didn't they already say the reveal would be in March? It would be a nice surprise if they moved it up to the summit though.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
cosmicblizzard said:
Didn't they already say the reveal would be in March? It would be a nice surprise if they moved it up to the summit though.
No, that a blog would start in March, and yeah, some media and details would be most loved next week.

EatChildren

Captain N said:
I still think this will be a launch title for the Vitality Sensor.

I hope not. Emotion based games via a pulse checker are a terrible idea.

duckroll

I dunno why anyone would be disappointed that the people working on Last Story are possibly the people who worked on Mistwalker's best game yet...

duckroll said:
I dunno why anyone would be disappointed that the people working on Last Story are possibly the people who worked on Mistwalker's best game yet...

Well, it all depends on phases of the moon I guess.
Artoon made some good games, and some games that are just pure shit.

farnham

Banned
duckroll said:
they worked on Lost odyssey.>?

JDSN said:
Here is hoping, then they will have no option but to bring it to America.
:lol

AceBandage said:
This game was probably in production long before the Vitality sensor was available for development kits.
The Last Story seems to be a Nintendo request, so Mistwalker could have early acess to new dev-kits. I think it would be very nice if it's Vitality Sensor compatible.

Acosta

farnham said:
oh no... that dimpers my anticipation by a lot.. although blue dragon on 360 was surprisingly good

Artoon it´s a good team when they don't need to design, they are very competent on the technical side. Blinx and Blue Dragon were pretty much flawless on the technical side. No point in being worry about that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
My interest in the game just increased. I hope Sakaguchi is getting someone else entirely to write the story though, or is at least working with someone.

Why does it matter who's developing the game?

Isn't it the developers job to just write the code and create the 3D model the assets while it's Mistwalkers job to do the planning of the level design, game design, story, and everything else?

In short isn't it like Mistwalker is the architect while Artoon are the construction workers?

duckroll

Why does anyone want the game to use the vitality sensor? I really don't get it. It's as dumb as the craze about RPGs using the DS touchscreen, RPGs using motion controls on the Wii, and soon FPS games using Natal, and next ZOMG 3DTV GAMING.

In the end all these gimmicks fucking fail. Unless a game is designed with a certain peripheral in mind, and does it really well, it just ends up being a gimmick and another title on some "list" of what supports what. Most traditional games on the DS now rarely use the touch screen at all, Wii games are getting packaged with the classic controller, etc.

I just want a good game, why the fuck would I want it to support some peripheral I know nothing about and add more uncertainty into the overall quality and polish of a game? Yuck.

duckroll said:
Why does anyone want the game to use the vitality sensor? I really don't get it. It's as dumb as the craze about RPGs using the DS touchscreen, RPGs using motion controls on the Wii, and soon FPS games using Natal, and next ZOMG 3DTV GAMING.

In the end all these gimmicks fucking fail. Unless a game is designed with a certain peripheral in mind, and does it really well, it just ends up being a gimmick and another title on some "list" of what supports what. Most traditional games on the DS now rarely use the touch screen at all, Wii games are getting packaged with the classic controller, etc.

I just want a good game, why the fuck would I want it to support some peripheral I know nothing about and add more uncertainty into the overall quality and polish of a game? Yuck.

People read that the game is about "The feelings that we all share" and jumped onto that as meaning Vitality Sensor.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Truth. While I don't really like either BD or LO I'd say that BD was the superior of the two games in everything but annoying sidekick characters!

Also who knows, maybe Last Story is secretly Yoshi's Island RPG! :lol

duckroll

jj984jj said:
My interest in the game just increased. I hope Sakaguchi is getting someone else entirely to write the story though, or is at least working with someone.

I'm sure Sakaguchi will be working with Atsuhiro Tomioka again for the script. Unless by some crazy universal fluke Matsuno has actually joined Mistwalker and is writing scenarios for Sakaguchi now, Tomioka is Sakaguchi's go-to guy for script writing. He's written pretty much everything Mistwalker has done so far.

duckroll said:
It's as dumb as the craze about RPGs using the DS touchscreen

In the end all these gimmicks fucking fail. Unless a game is designed with a certain peripheral in mind, and does it really well, it just ends up being a gimmick and another title on some "list" of what supports what

10f6smu.jpg

Because when you get something that uses something new intuitively and correct, you often get something very fresh, new, and possibly superior to the old scheme. Like TWEWY's action battle system and controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom