• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
duckroll said:
The world of The Last Story is supposed to be one where metal resources are scarce, and Sakaguchi is trying to limit the amount of sci-fi influence on the world setting, and he wants players to be able to enjoy a smooth experience of exploring around Ruri Island, a place bathed in the abundance of radiant sunlight.

That sounds like a nice counterpoint to Xenoblade, actually.

Metroid Killer said:
Why the hell does the text show up like this on my browser?

–{ì‚Ì•‘‘ä‚́uƒ‹ƒŠ“‡v‚¾BŽR–¬‚Ɉ͂܂ꂽ‘å—¤‚É‚Û‚©‚ñ‚Æ‚ ‚¢‚½—Bˆê‚̘p‚Ì“ü‚èŒû‚Ɉʒu‚·‚éB‚»‚±‚Í”wŒã‚ɍT‚¦‚é’鍑‚ÌŒð’Ê‚Æ–hŒä‚Ì—v‚Å‚ ‚èA‚»‚ꂪŒÌ‚É•x‚Æ—Í‚ªW’†‚·‚éêŠ‚Å‚à‚ ‚éB‹‘å–C‘䂪’ÁÀ‚µA˜r‚Ì‚½‚‹RŽm‚Æ–½’m‚炸‚Ì—b•º‚ªA“G‚̐N—ª‚É”õ‚¦‚éB

I frequently visit japanese sites and never have trouble viewing them. I would like to read what it says about the game, but I guess I need to install something.
Have you tried viewing the site in Shift JIS encoding? It's some sort of a special encoding designed specifically for Japanese pages and it pops up quite often.

The music sounds like something in between Blue Fields and 600 A.D, but perhaps that's the artwork throwing the 600 A.D in there for me... definitely feel the Blue Fields though.

magicalsoundshower said:
Have you tried viewing the site in Shift JIS encoding? It's some sort of a special encoding designed specifically for Japanese pages and it pops up quite often.
Yes I am viewing it in Shift JIS and it's all '‹RŽm‚Æ–½’m‚炸‚Ì—b•º‚'

And yeah I've let the music play in the background for while now. Really soothing!

GhaleonQ

Guys, 1 Chrono quotation =/= "sounds like a Chrono game." Don't excite me like that. It's quite nice, though, for an opening town/dungeon/benign area.

duckroll

Magypsy23 said:
Please post a screencap of the text. I'm having the same problem as Metroid Killer.

本作の舞台は「ルリ島」だ。山脈に囲まれた大陸にぽかんとあいた唯一の湾の入り口に位置する。
そこは背後に控える帝国の交通と防御の要であり、それが故に富と力が集中する場所でもある。
巨大砲台が鎮座し、腕のたつ騎士と命知らずの傭兵が、敵の侵略に備える。

島の領主アルガナン伯爵は、帝国内で享楽と足の引っ張り合いにあけくれる貴族たちとは違い、知略に長け野心を抱いている。
「力」の重要さと、そのための「魔力」の存在価値を十分に理解しているのだ。

帝国全土を覆う大地の腐敗をよそに、富によって潤うルリの街。
うたかたの宴に酔いしれるように嬌声がすべてを包み込み、そして隣接した城は異様な魔導の妖気に包まれている。
ルリの不思議な力に引きつけられるように、今夜も魔物がすぐそばでうごめいている。これから大きく変わる島の運命・・・今は誰もそれを知らない。

(ディレクター)

私たちの『The Last Story』の世界に対する共通認識。
それが「鉄の少ない世界」です。
物語の舞台は、できるだけSFを抑えた馴染みやすい世界をイメージしました。
豊かな陽の光を浴びる「ルリ島」と、その中で繰り広げられる物語を、スムーズに楽しんでいただきたいと思います。

(プロデューサー)

Duckroll's translation is dead on, but Mistwalker PR person just told me that the unofficial name for the island in English right now is Luli Island. Thought I'd throw that out there.

APZonerunner said:
Duckroll's translation is dead on, but Mistwalker PR person just told me that the unofficial name for the island in English right now is Luli Island. Thought I'd throw that out there.

Does this mean that a western release of the game is likely?

Well, I think it was a given anyway. Even if Nintendo weren't to localize it Nippon Ichi, Atlus, Square Enix or Ignition or somebody would pick it up and put it out. It's Sakaguchi and Mistwalker, and his last console title was (until last week) the best selling console JRPG this generation.

Also, Mistwalker do work out of Hawaii, so presumably talk a lot in English there, too. You could find a million reasons to explain away the existance of the English name, but the fact they have PR people talking to English journos says more than that name does, I'd say.

GCX

ShineALight said:
Does this mean that a western release of the game is likely?
I know this is Nintendo we're speaking of, but I just can't imagine them not releasing a big-budget Mistwalker RPG in all territories.

Yeah, that all makes sense. I felt like a western release was kind of a given, but any sort of evidence that suggests it's likely is more than welcome. Thanks.

duckroll

APZonerunner said:

Thanks, Luli Island does sound better. Ruri reminds me of the Nadesico anime. :lol

Edit: Could you by any chance ask if the director and producer can be officially revealed? The column doesn't provide a name but I'm curious if the director is indeed Takuya Matsumoto with Sakaguchi serving as producer.

The artwork for this game is looking great. Though since it kind of looks like Chrono Trigger, it will probably only lead to disappointment.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
duckroll said:
No, it doesn't. It's just the director and producer talking about Ruri Island, which is the setting for the game. The director talks about how the continent is surrounded by mountain ranges and the only accessible point being that island port. As such it is heavily fortified and a major point of defense. It sounds like the ruler of the island carries certain ambitions and seeks magic as a resource to rise in power.

Somehow even though the entire empire is suffering poverty and decay, the town of Ruri remains prosperous. It's implied that the source of the town's wealth is related to magic, and there's a strange power in it which begins to attract monsters towards it, and the fate of the island is soon to be changed forever.

The world of The Last Story is supposed to be one where metal resources are scarce, and Sakaguchi is trying to limit the amount of sci-fi influence on the world setting, and he wants players to be able to enjoy a smooth experience of exploring around Ruri Island, a place bathed in the abundance of radiant sunlight.

Interesting, I like what I'm hearing concerning exploration, but that island seems a little small. It's to early to tell though through concept art (in which looks great). As long as the exploration is rewarding and the gameplay is there, this is game is bought :D This, Arc Rise Fantasia and Xenoblade (not to mention if Tales of Grace sees a localization) will keep me busy for at least 2 years :D

Datschge

Metroid Killer said:
Why the hell does the text show up like this on my browser?

–{ì‚Ì•‘‘ä‚́uƒ‹ƒŠ“‡v‚¾BŽR–¬‚Ɉ͂܂ꂽ‘å—¤‚É‚Û‚©‚ñ‚Æ‚ ‚¢‚½—Bˆê‚̘p‚Ì“ü‚èŒû‚Ɉʒu‚·‚éB‚»‚±‚Í”wŒã‚ɍT‚¦‚é’鍑‚ÌŒð’Ê‚Æ–hŒä‚Ì—v‚Å‚ ‚èA‚»‚ꂪŒÌ‚É•x‚Æ—Í‚ªW’†‚·‚éêŠ‚Å‚à‚ ‚éB‹‘å–C‘䂪’ÁÀ‚µA˜r‚Ì‚½‚‹RŽm‚Æ–½’m‚炸‚Ì—b•º‚ªA“G‚̐N—ª‚É”õ‚¦‚éB

I frequently visit japanese sites and never have trouble viewing them. I would like to read what it says about the game, but I guess I need to install something.
That's because Flash is too stupid to handle different code pages for fonts (browsers can't do anything about it since Flash is a separate plugin) and Adobe is so stupid to allow anything other than Unicode within Flash.

gunther

duckroll said:
No, it doesn't. It's just the director and producer talking about Ruri Island, which is the setting for the game. The director talks about how the continent is surrounded by mountain ranges and the only accessible point being that island port. As such it is heavily fortified and a major point of defense. It sounds like the ruler of the island carries certain ambitions and seeks magic as a resource to rise in power.

Somehow even though the entire empire is suffering poverty and decay, the town of Ruri remains prosperous. It's implied that the source of the town's wealth is related to magic, and there's a strange power in it which begins to attract monsters towards it, and the fate of the island is soon to be changed forever.

So no mix off mid-age stuff and future stuff. Awesome.

2San

Wow the music is good. If this and Xenoblade turn out good, might finally be tempted into buying that wretched Wii. :O

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
APZonerunner said:
Well, I think it was a given anyway. Even if Nintendo weren't to localize it Nippon Ichi, Atlus, Square Enix or Ignition or somebody would pick it up and put it out. It's Sakaguchi and Mistwalker, and his last console title was (until last week) the best selling console JRPG this generation.

Also, Mistwalker do work out of Hawaii, so presumably talk a lot in English there, too. You could find a million reasons to explain away the existance of the English name, but the fact they have PR people talking to English journos says more than that name does, I'd say.

I thought the IP for this was Nintendo's...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom