• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Wii, Mistwalker x Nintendo) Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Regulus Tera said:
I thought the IP for this was Nintendo's...?
It is and as the history has shown they wont let any other 3rd party company publish it in other areas.

jay said:
If its theme is what made Chrono Trigger and not the brisk battle system, the removal of massive amounts of standard RPG bloat, and its vivid sprite work, then yes, that may be its spiritual successor.

Other than the sprite work (it looks like a pile of lukewarm ass unfortunately) DQ7 has all of those things.

Zilch

Banned
Guys, threads only derail when you let them. You don't all need to quote that post and make a quip.

Anyhow, the art looks awesome. I'm really hoping for some sort of non-photorealistic rendering to be used.

Zilch said:
Guys, threads only derail when you let them. You don't all need to quote that post and make a quip.

Anyhow, the art looks awesome. I'm really hoping for some sort of non-photorealistic rendering to be used.

This is the truth, and the only comment we should be quoting.

Zilch said:

I still say Pencil Shading is the way to go.

valkyria-chronicles_04.jpg

Simple.
Elegant.
Detailed.
It's just so perfect.

jay

charlequin said:
Other than the sprite work (it looks like a pile of lukewarm ass unfortunately) DQ7 has all of those things.

I watched my roommate play about 10 hours so I can't speak from a position of supreme authority, which is how I typically speak, but I did not see that. I do question if you understand why CT resonated with so many people if you think an 80 hour game could be its spiritual successor.

Zilch

Banned
I love Valve's 'half-lambert' shader that they developed for TF2 and the modification of that shader that's being used in the awesome looking mod "Airborne".

splash_02.jpg

Subtle, and extremely tasteful.

Dascu

Zilch said:
I love Valve's 'half-lambert' shader that they developed for TF2 and the modification of that shader that's being used in the awesome looking mod "Airborne".

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/11/10979/splash_02.jpg[IMG]

Subtle, and extremely tasteful.[/QUOTE]
Why haven't I heard of this yet? It looks amazing.

Bentendo

lorddarkflare said:
Perhaps I am dead inside, but I am not getting the love for the music.

It is so meh.

It's probably appropriate for the setting it'll be in. There's a lot of game music out there that I wouldn't care to listen to on the radio or something but it fits perfectly within the game world. One example is the Space-Junk Galaxy theme in Super Mario Galaxy. It's a really great theme when playing the game but seems to be overshadowed by the other songs when played on your iPod or something, though it's hard to imagine any other song playing in that setting.

AceBandage said:
It's a very classic tune.
Kind of brings up memories of a different age of RPGs.

Makes sense, I only looked upon that age long after it was over.

I suppose I understand why the music fails to have an impact.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I really like the music. but the art. my god

http://i42.tinypic.com/11tbjoo.jpg

this is why I'm going to Savannah :D

the island looks pretty big. I was hoping for a DQ8 sized world, but this will be good as long as they can stuff a lot of secrets in the world. there is no point in exploration if there is no discoveries.

jay said:
I watched my roommate play about 10 hours so I can't speak from a position of supreme authority, which is how I typically speak, but I did not see that. I do question if you understand why CT resonated with so many people if you think an 80 hour game could be its spiritual successor.
Yeah, Dragon Quest is the definitive standard RPG experience, and VII is the biggest of them all--hard to see that as some sort of "removal of RPG bloat" experience. It also doesn't do nearly as much with the time travel theme as Chrono Trigger, with only a few instances where your actions seem to affect the future beyond causing previously disappeared land to show up.

AceBandage said:
Or multiple works within the world.
Dark/Light

Above ground/Below Ground

Yeah, kinda like Zelda. It's one slab of land but branches off and has a bunch of secrets and stuff. Though I doubt the *entire* game will take place on the island though, and those oceans have to be good for something. The only way you can get to the place is through a port right? But where do those ships go if not other places?

Doorman

Well, the artwork is nice and all, but we still have no idea what the game itself is going to look like, nor really anything about it aside from the vague "real time" comment.

That said, I'm cautiously optimistic given who's backing the game. The music is nice, I'm getting sort of a FF Crystal Chronicles vibe from it in a few spots. I really hope this gets a big reveal at E3!

Fritz

Zilch said:
That island is plenty big as long as they don't do the huge character/miniature world style overworld.

It also seems to be a peninsula. Im not an expert but, apart from what the text seems to imply, I bet you will venture behind those mountains into the heart of the empire eventually.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm simply hoping for an enjoyable game. It's been a long time since I played an RPG and was completely enthralled by it.

LCfiner

I really like the artwork on the last page. so colorful.

i don't have an RPG on the Wii. This one could be the first. looking forward to screens and i really hope they use a stylized visual theme to get around the lack of raw graphics power.

jay said:

Most people love CT because it was a good game that they played it when they were 13. If your definition of "spiritual successor" is a game that is exactly like Chrono Trigger then one by definition can't exist because the moment where all the young, eager titans of the jRPG industry who came together to work on that game were in one place and vaguely got along with one another is long past. If you use a more reasonably broad definition like "a game created by one of the people who worked on the original that explores some of the same themes and concepts in a similar narrative style," well, DQ7 is certainly more of one than Chrono Cross is (and again still probably about as close as you will ever get.)

Though basically my real point here is that it is deeply, deeply unlikely that this game will call back to Chrono Trigger in any more meaningful way than DQ7 did and it's probably better to think about the games that Sakaguchi has actually demonstrated an interest and/or ability to call back to (FFV and VII) in figuring out what Last Story will be like.

ILikeFeet

Banned
after playing Robot Unicorn Attack, I now know what is better.

anyway, I love the art. its so colorful. I hope that means the game world will be as colorful. I like colorful games.

and still no music rip?

charlequin said:
Most people love CT because it was a good game that they played it when they were 13. If your definition of "spiritual successor" is a game that is exactly like Chrono Trigger then one by definition can't exist because the moment where all the young, eager titans of the jRPG industry who came together to work on that game were in one place and vaguely got along with one another is long past. If you use a more reasonably broad definition like "a game created by one of the people who worked on the original that explores some of the same themes and concepts in a similar narrative style," well, DQ7 is certainly more of one than Chrono Cross is (and again still probably about as close as you will ever get.)

Though basically my real point here is that it is deeply, deeply unlikely that this game will call back to Chrono Trigger in any more meaningful way than DQ7 did and it's probably better to think about the games that Sakaguchi has actually demonstrated an interest and/or ability to call back to (FFV and VII) in figuring out what Last Story will be like.

I'll take that too :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
ILikeFeet said:
and still no music rip?
I'd do it but I'm not on my old laptop.

For some reason the music reminds me of a cross between Final Fantasy XI and Suikoden Tierkreis. But that is a good thing.

orioto

Good Art™
I bought 360 for the two Sakagushi games and never played it since. II will rebuy the Wii for this game !

Beautiful music, although almost too subtle for Nobuo.. I would have think it was Sakuraba !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom