• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
If I have one wish regarding new TV shows for this decade, it's that Colbert becomes the dominant force in late-night television, in his own unique way.

Good luck, Stephen!

Sanjuro

If I have one wish regarding new TV shows for this decade, it's that Colbert becomes the dominant force in late-night television, in his own unique way.

Good luck, Stephen!

Doubt it.

Feels like it's going to be business as usual in terms of dominance. Tonight Show > Late Show > Everyone else.

That's not saying his ratings or audience will be light.

The Beard

Doubt it.

Feels like it's going to be business as usual in terms of dominance. Tonight Show > Late Show > Everyone else.

That's not saying his ratings or audience will be light.

It's not like Jimmy Fallon is some unbeatable force. I think Colbert has a legit shot at taking the late night crown. I can see the 35 to 80 demo (if there is such a thing) switching over to Colbert. Fallon is a likeable guy, but he's also a little annoying sometimes. The Tonight Show brand can only carry you so far.

I'd be surprised if Colbert "wins" but it doesn't really matter because he will be the best and get all the prestige regardless.

I'm sure he'll get shit for not going as hard as people want him to on celebs/politicians but he never said he would or wanted to. Although, that Jeb! video showed more teeth than Fallon ever has.

It's not like Jimmy Fallon is some unbeatable force. I think Colbert has a legit shot at taking the late night crown. I can see the 35 to 80 demo (if there is such a thing) switching over to Colbert. Fallon is a likeable guy, but he's also a little annoying sometimes. The Tonight Show brand can only carry you so far.

Saw Leno on Rogan's podcast and he said all the Tonight Show hosts him included stayed number one to the end of their tenures. Blows my mind Leno stayed on top all those years. I think it will be quite difficult to beat that legacy, the name behind it etc.

Saw Leno on Rogan's podcast and he said all the Tonight Show hosts him included stayed number one to the end of their tenures. Blows my mind Leno stayed on top all those years. I think it will be quite difficult to beat that legacy, the name behind it etc.

what about Conan? I guess he counts too because when the whole NBC crap was going on for the last few weeks Tonight Show with Conan was on top of the ratings too, but before then Late Show with Letterman was beating him over the head with a stick in ratings

what about Conan? I guess he counts too because when the whole NBC crap was going on for the last few weeks Tonight Show with Conan was on top of the ratings too, but before then Late Show with Letterman was beating him over the head with a stick in ratings

Yeah I'm guessing Leno didn't count Conan in that lineup :p

Sanjuro

In a medium which has seen recession in overall audience? Fallon is the biggest force going right now. It's not strange to suggest he is more popular than Colbert.

If you are just talking about the Tonight Show brand, I don't think it holds the same value. Fallon is the closest I've seen to Carson from the years of hosts.

Cool looks the show is being fast tracked to Australian TV and will be on Channel 11 tonight at 11.30pm. Hopefully it can scratch the late night itch left hollow by Ferguson's departure. Cordon is cute but that show is all about Reggie.

Cool looks the show is being fast tracked to Australian TV and will be on Channel 11 tonight at 11.30pm. Hopefully it can scratch the late night itch left hollow by Ferguson's departure. Cordon is cute but that show is all about Reggie.

Yeah, plus I think having Jeb Bush on his first episode is a gesture to present the show as being inclusive.

I expect the interview to be warm and welcoming with hopefully one or two questions about legitimate issues that Republicans tend to ignore.

Mistle

this is the best. an actual awesome late night show being aired in aus... late at night!

hopefully it's not super edited like the version of fallon we get.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
this is the best. an actual awesome late night show being aired in aus... late at night!

hopefully it's not super edited like the version of fallon we get.

The issue tends to be licensing issues for music acts, what are they editing out of Fallon?

Mistle

The issue tends to be licensing issues for music acts, what are they editing out of Fallon?

they seem to often cut things short and sometimes even skip entire segments (the after monologue/before guest). i may be wrong, but i do notice. more commonly annoying though is just the jarring way they trim down the beginnings and end of segments and do their own fade transitions, lol

Future

In a medium which has seen recession in overall audience? Fallon is the biggest force going right now. It's not strange to suggest he is more popular than Colbert.

If you are just talking about the Tonight Show brand, I don't think it holds the same value. Fallon is the closest I've seen to Carson from the years of hosts.

Yup. Fallon's success is due to Fallon, not the tonight show brand. His shtick is fun time with celebrities and viral moments with all his games and shit. Like a mini snl every night that's a bit more genuine since both Fallon and the celebrity are meant to laugh and not stick to a skit script. Much better than both jay and letterman in their later years.

I'm curious what Colberts take on late night will be. The Colbert report and hell, even the little bits he's been doing up to now are all amazingly Colbert himself speaking on various topics. Not exactly the classic monologue. And his interviews in the past were always "in character". Actually can't wait to find out tonight, heh

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Stephen, Stephen, Stephen...

I've been looking forward to this day for quite a while. He's going to kill it.
I've missed him way too much.

vgamer1

I found this which is east coast feed of cbs, not sure if you can see it where you are though:

http://earthdispatch.com/cbs.html

You might wanna get your DVR checked out :p

CBS is one of the top three channels in the USA and when CBS live stream is on during prime-time it is more than likely that at least one third of all Americans are watching. Shows like CSI have become very popular over the years. Also Person of Interest and David Letterman are very popular especially now that David is getting ready to retire.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
CBS is one of the top three channels in the USA and when CBS live stream is on during prime-time it is more than likely that at least one third of all Americans are watching. Shows like CSI have become very popular over the years. Also Person of Interest and David Letterman are very popular especially now that David is getting ready to retire.

Letterman already retired.

Agreed? I'm on west coast so just want to get in on the east coast feed along with the rest of gaf.

yeah... I don't think the Tonight Show brand is as important as it used to be. people these days just say "did you watch Fallon?", or before they would say "did you watch Leno?". it's all about the host now. the Tonight Show brand still definitely helps though, and it is definitely still the strongest and most iconic brand, even though I feel like Late Night is an iconic brand now too.

Alright found another one that's working for me for now, stream 3 working:

http://www.stream2watch.co/live-tv/us/cbs-live-stream

wow this site is legit

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm actually really excited about this. I'm actually not a fan of his character from The Colbert Report, but I've loved listening to his podcast and interviews. I'm in.

lednerg

CBS affiliates are airing their localized interviews with Colbert right now. He sang the National Anthem with Ukee Washington in Philly.

zoozilla

I'm still sad that Craig Ferguson left.

Haven't liked what little I've seen of Corden.

But Colbert + Ferguson would be a late-night duo for the ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom