• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I hope we see more of Erika though. I want to know what happened after the events of Season 2 and the aftermath and what she's up to now.

I think her story is pretty much wrapped. She had intended to leave her family anyway in season 2 and it seems like she finally found peace after Evie died.

oatmeal

Banned
This show is absolutely ridiculous. Nora has a Wu-Tang Clan tattoo. Who even thinks to come up with something like that? Great performance from Carrie Coon in this one, she had to carry almost the entire episode on her shoulders. Glad we got Regina King for a little bit too.

I wonder why she's having so much trouble with electronics. Maybe just to up Nora's frustration. It was kinda funny how she had to tell the photo guy which pic she wanted cause she couldn't use the kiosk.

Absolutely miniscule detail, but I'm glad they acknowledged that The Departure date would be October 15th for Australia, as opposed to the 14th in the States.

Also wondering what's up with the band of women on horseback. They found themselves a police chief named Kevin haha

Wu Tang Band.

Great ep. The Leftovers ain't nuthing ta f wit.

More random shit:
Nothing on the departures board behind Nora during her kiosk scene.
Matt's nosebleed being focused on (related to his cancer checks?); and Mary has now 100% left him and, presumably, Jarden.
The poster behind Brevity (Nora's higher up - I guess) saying "If you don't see someone, say something." Good job set designer.
Nora having to get the guy at Kinko's to select the picture of dead tower guy. Kinda weird having watched the Fargo S3 premiere as well, where Carrie Coon's character has the same problems (specifically with automatic doors). Also, Matt had the same issue in S1 when he tries to ignore the call from the bank.
Australian weather man says something along the lines of "with the seventh anniversary fast approaching" which puts the end scene in the present (slight future), yet the four horsewomen are somehow aware of the Gospel of Kevin? Some crazy shit has to go down for that to be common knowledge given that the decision to go to Australia is made with 10 days to go. Unless the prior scene to do with "clairvoyance" has something to do with it.
Nora wearing a white robe and smoking. Sad to see her regress into her grief again, and Tom could have been a little kinder.
Loved the writers names in the pre-roll having been run through the Wu Tang name generator.
Oh, and the poster for this season (in the OP), the wings behind Nora kind of look like the Wu Tang Tattoo.
Edit: I find it weird that we don't who the main horse woman is. Why else would she give her name?

Aaaaaaaaand, I've rambled again.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So those horse ladies are totally
the four horsemen of the apocalypse
, right?

giphy.gif

Whoa. Just whoa. I can't believe that sailed over my head. Y'all catch everything, I swear.

When Nora is on the bridge and gets pulled over.

Isn't that the same bridge where Meg parked the van?

Wasn't that bridge supposed to be over the place where everyone was camped out last season.

Did anyone else notice that now the bridge is over water?

Am I wrong about the bridge, or is this a continuity error, or did something weird happen to the old camp site?

When Nora is on the bridge and gets pulled over.

Isn't that the same bridge where Meg parked the van?

Wasn't that bridge supposed to be over the place where everyone was camped out last season.

Did anyone else notice that now the bridge is over water?

Am I wrong about the bridge, or is this a continuity error, or did something weird happen to the old camp site?

I think the implication is that they filled in the area with water so people couldn't gather there anymore in order to prevent another situation like the one that happened at the end of last season

Corpsepyre

Banned
What the fuck is going on in this show? While it's all VERY intriguing, I have a strong feeling it all just might end on a wet fart, much like Lost. Really hoping that's not the case, but Lindelof has a terrible track record.

What the fuck is going on in this show? While it's all VERY intriguing, I have a strong feeling it all just might end on a wet fart, much like Lost. Really hoping that's not the case, but Lindelof has a terrible track record.

Luckily reviews are beyond glowing, critics have seen every episode besides the last one

Depends what you want. I think the show is excellent at resolving loose threads (sometimes ones you didn't even know were hanging there) but I think the biggest one will remain untouched, as it has the entire show (besides this episode, I guess.).

Corpsepyre

Banned
Depends what you want. I think the show is excellent at resolving loose threads (sometimes ones you didn't even know were hanging there) but I think the biggest one will remain untouched, as it has the entire show (besides this episode, I guess.).

Y'know, I'm OK with not finding out where everyone went.

But there are wayyyyy more questions the show keeps raising every time, much like in Lost, with little to no answers. Lets wait and see!

Lost's ending was great. I'll never understand anyone who doesn't think so. I'll even allow for disliking season 6, but the final episode might be my favorite episode of anything, ever. Just constant feels all the way through.

I know this thread isn't about Lost, but people in here constantly talk about it like it's their kid who dropped out of college right before graduation and got addicted to heroin, and they treat that interpretation as fact. Sometimes I just have to say something

Corpsepyre

Banned
Lost's ending was great. I'll never understand anyone who doesn't think so. I'll even allow for disliking season 6, but the final episode might be my favorite episode of anything, ever. Just constant feels all the way through.

I know this thread isn't about Lost, but people in here constantly talk about it like it's their kid who dropped out of college right before graduation and got addicted to heroin. Sometimes I just have to say something

I respect different opinions, but this is not one I share, and many don't as well. That show, and it's ending, made me re-think if I should invest so much time into watching TV shows again. I'm glad I snapped out of it and ended up discovering some great stuff, but Lost's last few seasons, the ending, and 'greatness' do not go hand in hand, in my opinion. Not for miles. The only reason I brought it up is because I'm seeing shades of it in The Leftovers and how they introduce the mysteries, and also because Lindelof is running this. Otherwise, I just want to forget it!

SickBoy

Knowing how unsatisfied people were with Lost (and never having watched it myself), I was concerned about last season, assuming it might be the last. But I was surprised by how well it wrapped itself up (and would've been satisfied if it ended there). That gives​ me hope for this season, but I'm always a bit nervous about any TV series I enjoy moving past a worthwhile endpoint. At least you can be certain this season isn't happening just to cash in on the show's amazing ratings ;)

Jacob4815

You're not alone. Same feelings and thoughts.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Knowing how unsatisfied people were with Lost (and never having watched it myself), I was concerned about last season, assuming it might be the last. But I was surprised by how well it wrapped itself up (and would've been satisfied if it ended there). That gives​ me hope for this season, but I'm always a bit nervous about any TV series I enjoy moving past a worthwhile endpoint. At least you can be certain this season isn't happening just to cash in on the show's amazing ratings ;)

Lost came along changed the way I watched Television. Instead of watching the show I was CONSUMING not only the show but every little tid-bit, clue, ARG, and anything I could get my eyes on even remotely attached to LOST. I didn't just 'watch' Lost I experienced it. LOST dominated ALL of my entertainment time. I didn't play video games, I only watched a couple of other shows, didn't read any books that weren't related to LOST, it truly dominated my free time. Then the finale of LOST came and forever changed the way I watched Television, again. To say I was 'disappointed' is the understatement of the century. I was devastated, the fan theory was pretty much spot on all along and they did a terrible job putting a bow on it. My expectation going into the finale was that we would get the 'answers' we craved. We didn't.

Now instead of creating trying to 'solve' a TV show I just sit back and enjoy the ride. Some shows are about mysteries and solving them others are about characters and how they deal with whatever the catalyst drives the plot forward. The Leftovers is the latter. It is a character drama. We get to see the raw and gut wrenching reactions to the unknown. I don't think we as viewers are going to ever know the why or how the departure happened because the characters are never going to know the answers. This show isn't about why or how it happened it's about how the people "Leftover" deal with that on an emotional level.

As long as people keep that in mind I don't think the series finale will disappoint.

Sorry for rambling I'm a little tipsy.

I wonder what those guys over at the lost message board The Fuselage are up to now gonna go check them out.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Lost came along changed the way I watched Television. Instead of watching the show I was CONSUMING not only the show but every little tid-bit, clue, ARG, and anything I could get my eyes on even remotely attached to LOST. I didn't just 'watch' Lost I experienced it. LOST dominated ALL of my entertainment time. I didn't play video games, I only watched a couple of other shows, didn't read any books that weren't related to LOST, it truly dominated my free time. Then the finale of LOST came and forever changed the way I watched Television, again. To say I was 'disappointed' is the understatement of the century. I was devastated, the fan theory was pretty much spot on all along and they did a terrible job putting a bow on it. My expectation going into the finale was that we would get the 'answers' we craved. We didn't.

Now instead of creating trying to 'solve' a TV show I just sit back and enjoy the ride. Some shows are about mysteries and solving them others are about characters and how they deal with whatever the catalyst drives the plot forward. The Leftovers is the latter. It is a character drama. We get to see the raw and gut wrenching reactions to the unknown. I don't think we as viewers are going to ever know the why or how the departure happened because the characters are never going to know the answers. This show isn't about why or how it happened it's about how the people "Leftover" deal with that on an emotional level.

As long as people keep that in mind I don't think the series finale will disappoint.

Sorry for rambling I'm a little tipsy.

I wonder what those guys over at the lost message board The Fuselage are up to now gonna go check them out.

It went to shit way before the finale. It being a terrible closer was just sprinkling on top. They had absolutely no idea what to do with the plot or the characters.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Per Ausiello, Regina King twisted her ankle during the trampoline sequence because Carrie Coon "popcorned" her.

Just like one of my Japanese animes...

I hope she's okay. King is another one of those acting treasures. She's a master of giving subtle performances and then just cranks it up to 11 when she needs to.

I was actually wondering during that scene if they were both jumping on the same trampoline or if it was a camera trick. I know it can be sorta dangerous with two adults bouncing around

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It went to shit way before the finale. It being a terrible closer was just sprinkling on top. They had absolutely no idea what to do with the plot or the characters.

See, I don't know about this opinion. I really do need to revisit the show now that it's been several years hopefully this summer I will be able to carve out some time to watch it again. I think the second time through the series will be very enlightening.

Do you have any particular examples to support your opinion? Maybe things I can watch out for once I get around to the re-watch.

Kinda unrelated but the Carrie/Regina scene in "Lens" is still the best duo female acting (and one of the best overall) i've ever seen put to a tv screen. It's just a conversation but the tension is breaking bad levels of dizzying tension.

The way Zobel/Lindelof zoom into their faces as the conversation gets more and more real. Just fucking unbelievable.

AoM

See, I don't know about this opinion. I really do need to revisit the show now that it's been several years hopefully this summer I will be able to carve out some time to watch it again. I think the second time through the series will be very enlightening.

Do you have any particular examples to support your opinion? Maybe things I can watch out for once I get around to the re-watch.

Check out this guy's retrospective: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR-Yx2zNLl3m4R42-Z4fwybpdUwb4u-KI

Worth watching even for those of us who really like the show.

kevin1025

Banned
From the discussion earlier about Lost: I didn't feel disappointed by the ending of Lost because as cool as all the mysteries and story points were, I was in it for the characters. And the end of the series was emotionally satisfying for the character resolutions, at least for me.

I think The Leftovers is going for the same thing. It will leave you satisfied with the journey these characters went on.

SickBoy

I think there's a definite divide in how people watch stuff. I don't think I'd find it enjoyable to try to "solve" TV series. Sometimes, I'm not sure I even enjoy reading about people trying to do it.

Westworld was definitely a series people wanted to sleuth out the answers for... and I'm not sure reading that discussion helped my enjoyment of the series at all. (FWIW, part of that may have been that I thought the prevailing theory would be nearly impossible to pull off in a satisfying manner, but in the end, they really managed to make it come together.)

I'm like you, happy to be along for the ride... and so long as they can hit a suitable note in the end, I'll be OK with that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just wanted to chime in and say if you like this show you might also like Handmaids Tale from hulu. Pretty amazing stuff over there. Patti (Ann Dowd) is a prime-time bitch in that show as well and it also deals with weird future and religious fcuked-upathon crazy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to chime in and say if you like this show you might also like Handmaids Tale from hulu. Pretty amazing stuff over there. Patti (Ann Dowd) is a prime-time bitch in that show as well and it also deals with weird future and religious fcuked-upathon crazy.

Have heard good things. Don't have Hulu so I may need to buy it.

Erigu

Check out this guy's retrospective: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR-Yx2zNLl3m4R42-Z4fwybpdUwb4u-KI
Worth watching even for those of us who really like the show.
Finally done watching those videos, thank you for linking to them.
While there is some stuff here and there I disagree with, most of it is very much in line with what I've been saying about the show... except, y'know, with better English and all the appropriate footage to drive those points home. Please watch those videos if you insist Lost wasn't a mess of a show.

So Nora is going for the hail mary to see her kids but moreso prepared to just kill herself at this point right?

I mean, surely she is not putting a sliver of faith in this machine with just some words from a sales pitch. Feels like she made up her mind that there's nothing for her here after she saw miserable Kevin flirting with death by asphyxiation on his alone time

Ross61

Nora really thinks she can say whatever she wants to say out her mouth and fetus sad when people clap back. Both Erika and Tommy checked her ass.

Top Bottom