• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Official Thread |OT|

Varion

N5260.png

RrOhG.png

Release date:

PC: 24/06/04 (Japan)
PSP: 28/10/06 (Japan) 29/03/11 (US) 04/11/11 (EU)

Editions:

Standard Edition - $29.99 (US)
Limited Edition - $39.99 (US) £39.99 (EU)
PSN Edition - $29.99 (US)

ELHNa.jpg
4gd5s.jpg

Limited Edition Contents:

- Bonus Soundtrack CD with 30 tracks.
- Poster - 13 x 19.5 Inches.
- 1.5 Inch Bracer Guild replica badge.

Official Website:

http://www.trailsinthesky.com/ (Warning: Flash intensive, contains auto-starting music and sound effects)

ynhpQ.png

Plot Synopsis:

Ten years after the end of the Hundred Days War, the small country of Liberl is at peace. Supported by the region's plentiful Septium resources, the diplomatic prowess of Queen Alicia II and the efforts of an organisation of neutral peacekeepers called the Bracers Guild, Liberl's people live comfortable lives. In the town of Rolent, two young siblings, Estelle and Joshua Bright, prepare to take their final exam to become trainee Bracers. With their father being the legendary Bracer Cassius Bright, one of only a small number of S-Class Bracers on the continent, they have quite a lot to live up to.

But unknown to them, a conspiracy has already begun that threatens to shatter the peace of Liberl, and the continent of Zemuria as a whole, and Estelle and Joshua will end up right in the middle of it - and once the wheels of fate have begun to turn, nothing can stop them.

Key Countries on the Continent of Zemuria:

kCS0m.gif
The Kingdom of Liberl:
The setting for the first and second games in the series, Liberl is a small country on the western edge of Zemuria. It is currently ruled over by Queen Alicia II, an extremely popular monarch who excels in her diplomatic ability and has been instrumental in maintaining peaceful relations between Liberl and Erebonia since the Hundred Days War ended.

HzcJ0.gif
The Erebonian Empire:
Connected to Liberl from the north, Erebonia was defeated by Liberl in the Hundred Days War, and relations between the two countries have been tense ever since. Ruled over by Emperor Eugent and Chancellor Gilias Osborne. Erebonia's pride is its railway network, which has been a key aspect of Osborne's national policy ever since he came to power.

6HbzS.gif
The Republic of Calvard:
Connected to Liberl from the east, and governed by President Rocksmith. Calvard's relations with Erebonia can hardly be called peaceful, either, particularly concerning the State of Crossbell, which both countries want ownership of. Readily accepts immigrants from further east, leading a number of problems within the country, including the creation of radical factions and outbreaks of terrorism.

There are naturally more, but these three are the only ones of real significance in the first game.

Key Terms:

The Hundred Days War - A conflict in which the Erebonian Empire attempted to conquer Liberl ten years before the start of the game. While Erebonia initially had the advantage, managing to conquer all but the capital of Grancel with little effort, the Liberl army managed to turn the tide with the use of Orbal airships, and the tactical genius of Cassius Bright, and successfully forced Erebonia into agreeing to end the conflict.

Bracers - Bracers are individuals attached to the Bracer's Guild, an organisation which seeks to protect the safety of Zemuria's citizens and uphold the peace of the land from a neutral position. They take care of a number of tasks from monster extermination to searching for lost property, and are frequently called on to mediate in international matters. Bracers are roughly divided into two types - after completing a training process, new recruits will begin as a trainee, and go around the land getting letters of recommendation from each of the country's guilds. After getting a recommendation from each of the Guilds, the individual will become a fully fledged Bracer, allowed to move between each of the Guilds at will and gain increased respect and responsibility. Citizens can go to the Bracer's Guild and submit tasks that they would like completed, and the guild will then post these tasks on their notice board, allowing any of the Bracers in the area to complete it in exchange for reward money.

Orbment - A mechanical device powered by a mysterious energy which, when fitted with processed Quartz, can be used for one of a number of functions. Orbment have become an essential part of the lives of Zemuria's citizens, and are used in lighting, heating, communications, weaponry and transport amongst other things.

The Orbal Revolution - A technological revolution brought about by the research of Professor Epstein into ancient Artifacts fifty years before the start of the game. As a result of this research, Epstein found a way to mass produce what came to be called Orbments, and the technology quickly spread throughout the land. In particular, Liberl quickly became one of the most advanced nations on the continent thanks to the efforts of Professor Russell, one of Epstein's disciples.

Zemuria - The continent upon which the series takes place. Liberl is located on its west side, and the series has slowly begun to reveal the rest of the continent starting from here. As of the latest game in the series there's never been a map of exactly what the continent looks like in full, any indication of just how many countries are on it, or any mention of a world beyond the continent.

The Septian Church - A creed which is widely adhered to across the continent, and was responsible for allowing Zemuria to recover from its dark ages. It promotes the worship of the Sky Goddess Aidios. The Septian Church is centred in the Holy Nation of Alteria.

E4PUR.png

uoiUL.jpg
Estelle Bright:
Daughter of the legendary Bracer Cassius Bright, Estelle is the game’s protagonist. An endlessly cheerful girl who never gives up regardless of how grim the situation becomes, she is loved by all those around her. Technically the same age as Joshua, but insists she’s his older sister regardless.

RlRnZ.jpg
Joshua Bright:
Estelle’s younger brother, who was adopted into the family five years before the start of the game. Picked up by Cassius while he was on a Bracer mission, Joshua’s origins and history are a mystery, and he refuses to discuss them. He has a calm and collected personality, and frequently has to keep Estelle in check.

A2YqP.jpg
Olivier Lenheim:
A travelling musician from the Erebonian Empire to the north, Olivier will hit on just about anything that moves. Skilled with a number of musical instruments, he seems to take his lute wherever he goes. He has a narcissistic personality, and when he decides to tag along with the party, he won’t let anyone stop him.

lkypw.jpg
Scherazard Harvey:
Scherazard is a former disciple of Estelle’s father, Cassius Bright, and is frequently known by the nickname ‘The Silver Streak’. While she’s like an older sister figure to Estelle, her love of drinking is rivaled only by the Rolent Bracer Guild’s receptionist, Aina.

1Bawh.jpg
Tita Russell:
Granddaughter of Liberl’s foremost Orbal scientist, Tita is a loveable twelve year old girl who has a tendency to lose herself and go into a world of her own when it comes to machinery. Takes after her grandfather in talent, but also takes after him in stubbornness.

3PTfP.jpg
Agate Crosner:
A stern-faced young Bracer, Agate wields a heavy sword and has built up a reputation for his strength. Every time he shows up in front of Estelle and the others, he always ends up criticising her for at least one thing she did wrong. For some reason he seems to have a weakness for Tita, however.

1SEnM.jpg
Zane Vathek:
Zin in the Japanese version. A Bracer from the Republic of Calvard to the East, Zane is staying in Liberl in order to enter a tournament at Grancel’s Grand Arena. A martial arts master, he fights with his fists. Has a level-headed, cheerful personality and is like an older brother to the party.

4XPK2.jpg
Kloe Rinz:
Klose in the Japanese version. A student at the Jenis Royal Academy near Ruan, Kloe is a kind and caring girl who helps out at the nearby orphanage on her days off school. She’s always accompanied by her white falcon, Sieg, who seems far more intelligent than any bird should be.

OuMNJ.png

The combat system:

juAN0.jpg

Trails in the Sky’s combat system is something of a cross between a regular, turn based RPG and a small scale strategy RPG. Each battle takes place in a grid-based battlefield where you can move your units around, attacking enemies and avoiding attacks. The turn order is shown down the left hand side of the screen. There are three kinds of attacks – regular attacks, Orbal Arts (which consume EP, which is restored with items), and Crafts (which consume CP, which is restored by dealing and receiving damage).

That’s the basic battle system, although there are a few other features that make it unique:

Bonus Icons - Next to the portraits showing turn order, there are often a number of other bonus icons. These show the type of bonus that whichever character takes that turn will receive – sometimes this will be an increase in attack strength, or a guaranteed critical hit, or an increase in CP.

dF1UC.jpg
Increases the ATK stat of the character that takes this turn, for this turn only.
AWT49.jpg
Recovers a set percentage of the HP of the character that takes this turn.
rEDGI.jpg
Recovers a set percentage of the EP of the character that takes this turn.
tKtmC.jpg
Recovers a set percentage of the CP of the character that takes this turn.
TrsXG.jpg
The attack used on this turn will always be a critical (applies to healing Arts as well)
V60M2.jpg
The more 'hits' in the animation of the attack, the more bonus Sepith the user gets. The enemy can take some of your Sepith like this too.

S-Crafts and S-Breaks - When a character has more than 100 CP, they can use a special move known as an S-Craft. These can be used at any time in the battle, even when it isn’t that character’s turn (and in this instance it’s referred to as an S-Break), and either do a significant amount of damage, or have one or more useful effects. However, when used they consume all of that character’s CP – if the character has the maximum 200 CP then the attack will either do extra damage or have an additional effect.

Guild Quests:

Throughout the game, there are a number of quests that can be done as a member of the Bracer Guild. Each quest you do gets you BP (Bracer Points), and when you earn a certain number of BP your Bracer rank increases. For each rank you advance, the Guild will reward you with an item, most of which are either unique or difficult to get elsewhere.

Quests generally come in two varieties – some are listed on the notice board in the town’s Guild, while others are secret and are only revealed by talking to people and offering to help them. As a result, if you want to get the maximum amount of BP then just doing the regular quests on the notice board won’t be enough. Furthermore, if you get the maximum amount of BP, you’ll get a reward when transferring your save to the second game.

Quests also give you money, and are the main way to get money in the game. Monsters don't drop it after battle, so you either have to do lots of quests or sell Sepith for it in shops.

The Choice System:

During both the main story and while doing quests, you'll be given a fair amount of choices, testing Estelle's ability to make judgements as a Bracer. If you choose the right answer, you'll be given bonus BP at the end of the quest - so it's worth thinking about the choices as they come up, especially if you want the special items for the highest Bracer ranks. For example, the earliest choice I remember occurs when Estelle hears the voices of two children in trouble. You can either choose to run straight towards the direction the voice came from, saving time but potentially landing her in a situation that's too much for her to handle, or choose to quickly explain the plan to Joshua and act with him. The latter gets you the BP.

The Orbment System:

Each character in your party has an Orbment, a device with a number of slots connected together via lines. In each of these slots you can put a Quartz, little gems of sorts that you buy from the workshop in each town in exchange for Sepith, even smaller fragments that are dropped by monsters after battle.

v3SFd.jpg

The 'device' on the right side of this image is an Orbment. Each character's has a different arrangement of slots and a different number of 'lines'. Each Quartz has a different point value for each of the seven elements, and the values are added up for each line, allowing that character to use certain spells. To take an example, the Curia Art (heals all negative status effects on one character) requires 1 Water point and 1 Phantom point in a single line. So if you equip a HP1 and EP1 quartz in the same line you can cast it in battle. The point values of every Quartz and every Art are all listed in the game's Bracer Notebook, so you can check them at any time and don't have to rely on experimentation, and you can view your current point values in the Orbment menu.

All the key terms:

Sepith - Dropped by monsters after battle. Can either be sold for money or, if you have enough, exchanged for Quartz at the town workshop.

Quartz - Generally acquired by exchanging Sepith at the workshop, but some are exclusive to certain quests or Bracer ranks. Set in Orbment slots to allow you to use Arts. Each Quartz also has its own unique effect, such as increasing the character's maximum HP by a certain percentage. These effects occur regardless of what line the Quartz is in - lines ONLY affect Arts.

Lines - A line is a set of Quartz slots going out from the middle slot in any direction. Whatever Quartz is in the central slot counts to the values of all lines. In the image above you can see a golden sky Quartz in the central slot, then one line going off to the left and up, and another going off to the right and down. As a general rule of thumb, characters like Olivier with only one line make the best spellcasters.

Slots - Spaces in the Orbment where you can set a Quartz. At the beginning of the game most of these are closed, and you have to use Sepith to unlock them so you can set Quartz. Depending on the character, some slots require a Quartz of a certain element to be inserted. For example, Kloe has two slots in which you can only insert water Quartz. These are indicated by the colour of the slot's outline.

So in conclusion, Kill monsters -> Get Sepith -> Exchange Sepith for Quartz -> Set Quartz in slots -> Use Arts.

OqhXa.png

2VNAN.jpg
RsZaB.jpg

WE7zn.jpg
gKvWY.jpg

DJpaJ.jpg
AGP81.jpg

6Ope2.jpg
GApyG.jpg

2FfSW.png

Japanese PC trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjtxEygXcLA

Japanese PSP trailer (kind of spoilery):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mCuVzUaV4Y

English Trailer #1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfSK9ZkDhY

English Trailer #2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mih0dfd27tU

Random battle system video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVovdu1psW0

gG2tx.png

RPGFan - 88%

Neoseeker - 8/10

GamePro - 4/5

IGN - 8.0

r1G47.png

Q. Do I have to play the PSP releases of 3, 4 and 5 to understand this?
A. No, they’re not connected at all. 3, 4 and 5 make up the Gagharv trilogy, but Trails in the Sky is the start of a new series on its own, which is generally referred to as the Kiseki series.

Q. I did play the PSP releases of 3, 4 and 5, and I hated them. Is there any chance at all I’ll like this?
A. You might well do. The Trails series has a completely different battle system, completely different graphical style, completely different story and setting, etc. So they’re really not that similar. It will also hopefully have a much better translation.

Q. Is there any chance XSEED will localise the PC versions?
A. They’re considering it. When asked about the prospect in a recent interview their response was “That does seem like a logical choice… We would love to support the PC fans and the platform in general, so we will continue to discuss with Falcom on the possibility of making it happen sometime in the future.” It won’t be happening in the immediate future though, at least.

Q. When’s the second game going to be released?
A. We don’t know. XSEED have said that they fully intend to release at the very least the full ‘Trails in the Sky’ trilogy, although they haven’t committed either way on the fourth game, Zero no Kiseki. At the very least the release of SC won’t be this year.

Q. Wait, fourth game? I thought it was a trilogy?
A. The series goes like this:
Sora no Kiseki FC (localised as this game, ‘Trails in the Sky')
Sora no Kiseki SC
Sora no Kiseki the 3rd
Zero no Kiseki
Ao no Kiseki (to be released in Japan this september)

All of the games are all direct sequels to one another, generally taking place a few months after the previous game ends (except for SC which takes place the day after FC ends) but the first three are more closely connected. Zero has a new cast of characters, and is set in a different country to the Trails games, but they’re all part of one big story on the Zemurian continent which is still ongoing.

Q. Is SC definitely going to be localised, then? Because the PSP is going to be in a bit of trouble after this year...
XSEED have reaffirmed their commitment to localising the first three games a few times in interviews. At the very least there's always the possibility they might localise the PC versions, or any other console version Falcom may or may not publish in the future. We'll just have to wait and see.

SpaceDrake said:
Oh, this needs to be said:

BEWARE OF SPOILERS FOR THIS GAME AND ITS IMMEDIATE SUCCESSOR. THEY HAVE BEEN OUT FOR OVER HALF A DECADE IN JAPAN AND MANY SPOILERS FOR CRUCIAL MAIN PLOT EVENTS EXIST ON PLACES LIKE WIKIPEDIA. PART OF THE ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME IS THE PLOT TWISTS AND YOU DO NOT WANT THEM RUINED FOR YOU.

AVOID WIKIPEDIA, GAMEFAQS AND THE LIKE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED FOR MAJOR PLOT POINTS IN THIS GAME AND SECOND CHAPTER.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Thanks:

NomadicTrooperGirl - For making all the banners and the header image.
Aveyn Knight - For hooking me up with the above.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The character art designs makes me want to barf... everything else about the game looks very appealing. The story sounds interesting and the battle system looks fun.

I may give this a try over the summer, sounds like a good RPG to sink some time into. And it comes at a good price! I love all of these new $20-$30 PSP releases! I think that's the price point they should've tapped into all along since the system was born.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My body is ready.

I hope I like it though (from what I've seen, the battle doesn't seem quite fast, I hope I'm wrong though).

So I haven't really looked much into this before, but...

I'm getting a Grandia, but not in real time, feel for the battle system. Definitely slower and less interesting, but Grandia is like the best battle system ever. Is this impression on point?

Hobbun

Oh wait, there's 5 total so far (including the one being released this Sept in Japan) that are direct sequels of one another?

I really hope we eventually get all 5 (or whatever the final amount is going to be). I really hate unfinished stories. Yes, I know each game does probably wrap up on it's own to an extent, but would hate to not have the whole storyline.

Either way, I plan to buy this one and support XSEED with whatever ones that are released.

Super excited to play these. Localization of this series was a pipe dream that XSeed is making come true. As much as it would suck not to eventually get to the latest 2 entries, I'm more than thrilled with the first 3.

RpgN

Excellent work OP! Hopefully we'll get a release date in EU asap to join the fun.

And the soundtrack is also good btw. Very nostalgic, breazy and catchy. A fun and solid little game that shouldn't be passed by any RPG fan :)

Varion

Freyjadour said:
So I haven't really looking into this before, but...

I'm getting a Grandia, but not in real time, feel for the battle system. Definitely slower and less interesting, but Grandia is like the best battle system ever. Is this impression on point?
Mm, I suppose in some ways - there's more of a focus on positioning than Grandia has, but the idea of being able to reach your enemy before attacking and such is the same, and I suppose that the AT Delay (delaying the enemy's attack with certain specials) is like the cancel effect in Grandia, although it's not really a comparison I'd ever thought of.

Hobbun said:
Oh wait, there's 5 total so far (including the one being released this Sept in Japan) that are direct sequels of one another?
Yep, and I'm almost positive the fifth one won't be the last either, there's just so many unresolved plot threads lying around right now that it would be impossible to resolve them all in one game (although that said each of the games does a good job of giving you plenty of answers to keep you going). The games sort of have varying degrees of 'resolution', but as a fan of the series I really hope they localise them all eventually too, regardless of the platform they end up being on, as none of the games feel quite resolved enough that you're not going to be raging when the next one doesn't get translated.

Excellent OT! After EL's DA2 thread, I wasn't sure what to expect for the next RPG I plan to play.

But, yeah, so stoked to play this next week.

Preordered and ready to go. The 29th is going to be a pretty cool day, with this and 3rd Birthday.

Seriously, my PSP seems like its blessed nowadays. :)

Varion said:
Mm, I suppose in some ways - there's more of a focus on positioning than Grandia has, but the idea of being able to reach your enemy before attacking and such is the same, and I suppose that the AT Delay (delaying the enemy's attack with certain specials) is like the cancel effect in Grandia, although it's not really a comparison I'd ever thought of.

I replay the original every year (or more if I can get away with it), so I tend to draw a lot more comparisons to it than others might.

Yuterald

GrumpyAlien said:
Preordered and ready to go. The 29th is going to be a pretty cool day, with this and 3rd Birthday.

Seriously, my PSP seems like its blessed nowadays. :)

Same here. I have both Tits and 3rd Birthday payed off. Next week (with 3DS) is going to be pretty bitchin!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Great OT.

I'm in, I'm ALL in, baby! This is gonna be fun times! Soundtrack sounds great, it looks great and it looks like it's gonna feel great. (I'm totally playing this before Dissidia Duodecim and 3rd Birthday next week. >.>)

I hope this is successful. I really want the other games. I wonder if I should just import Zero no Kiseki at this point, though (considering the current state of the PSP). I import a lot, so text isn't really an issue. Not afraid of double-dipping if it comes out over here either.

Aeana

I just wanted to say that you've done a really good job with the information, Varion. I'm very excited that this series is finally making its way to English speakers, because I love it so very much. I hope that people here can find some enjoyment in it, but I think you really have to be able to take an interest in a game's world to get a lot out of the games. I might also take the opportunity to caution those who don't like talky RPGs -- specifically those who don't like Golden Sun because there's too much talking. You could still enjoy the game, because at least the dialog isn't as inane/verbose as Golden Sun, but do know what you're getting yourself into.

Preordered when the LE was announced. I've already played and enjoyed the PC versions of FC and SC (about to move onto the 3rd soon), but it'll definitely be interesting to see how the English localisation fares. I also can't wait to see other peoples' impressions of the game(s).

Lovely OP! :)

Unfortunately, with the 3DS coming out and other games this month, this won't be a day one for me. I'll pick it up sooner rather than later though, probably with Ys I & II. Looking forward to reading impressions from those of you buying though.

RpgN

Aeana said:
I just wanted to say that you've done a really good job with the information, Varion. I'm very excited that this series is finally making its way to English speakers, because I love it so very much. I hope that people here can find some enjoyment in it, but I think you really have to be able to take an interest in a game's world to get a lot out of the games. I might also take the opportunity to caution those who don't like talky RPGs -- specifically those who don't like Golden Sun because there's too much talking. You could still enjoy the game, because at least the dialog isn't as inane/verbose as Golden Sun, but do know what you're getting yourself into.

This game is going to be good. The new and long demo convinced me. I remember we had a talk about me not liking Legend of Heroes games. How a good demo can convince and knowing more about the series helps as well (The Sora no Kiseki being the better games and have nothing to do with the ones released by Namco). I should have listened to you before :p

Mechar

Neo Member
Simply can not wait for this to arrive. Premium Edition pree-ordered and ready to go, so now I'm just counting the days. This will be my first The Legend of Heroes title, and after having being blessed with the Ys games recently, I'm so pumped to see how Falcom's other major franchise holds up.

mjc

I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the LE. The amount of things that XSeed says are in the game is amazing, sounds like a really meaty game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Preordering this from videogamesplus! I assume the TBA for Europe is never anyway

Don't like that poster tho so no LE edition for me :p

This game is going to be good. The new and long demo convinced me. I remember we had a talk about me not liking Legend of Heroes games. How a good demo can convince and knowing more about the series helps as well (The Sora no Kiseki being the better games and have nothing to do with the ones released by Namco). I should have listened to you before :p

Once again reiterating my wish that Falcom and XSEED would go ahead with the demo in English; I think it'd help sway a lot more people.

Anyway, fantastic OP, and great pictures for Scherazard and Olivier. :V Really can't wait to lay into this one, even if I spoiled myself on certain bits long ago.

Oh, this needs to be said:

BEWARE OF SPOILERS FOR THIS GAME AND ITS IMMEDIATE SUCCESSOR. THEY HAVE BEEN OUT FOR OVER HALF A DECADE IN JAPAN AND MANY SPOILERS FOR CRUCIAL MAIN PLOT EVENTS EXIST ON PLACES LIKE WIKIPEDIA. PART OF THE ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME IS THE PLOT TWISTS AND YOU DO NOT WANT THEM RUINED FOR YOU.

AVOID WIKIPEDIA, GAMEFAQS AND THE LIKE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED FOR MAJOR PLOT POINTS IN THIS GAME AND SECOND CHAPTER.

I almost think that warning should be in the OP, simply because there are spoilers goddamn EVERYWHERE if you aren't careful. Of course, that upcoming anime adaptation is probably going to move certain things straight into You Should Know This Already territory, especially concerning a certain popular character from SC.

Still, can't wait for next week!

Great OP with lots of info; thanks! I have my LE ordered and I'm so stoked - if only I could take a vacation to marathon my way through! Guess I'll have to make my own...

Aeana

I am honestly a little concerned about the localization. Ys 7's was very lackluster. So very boring to read compared to the original Japanese. If Trails in the Sky's is like that... well, I just hope it's not, because it matters so much more here. The screenshots I've seen so far aren't really enough for me to say either way. I want to have faith, XSEED.

I was going to wait but I may pick this up day one. Thanks for the OT.

I do want to read some reviews though.

What's the impression from J-GAF? Is it good or so-so? It kind of reminds me of a cross between Lunar Silver Star Harmony and Crimson Gem Saga. If it's around that quality than I'm down with this.

matmanx1

PSP continues to have some pretty monster RPG support from our friends in Japan even at the end of it's life and I am loving it. This game sounds like it's right up my alley although I'd definitely like to try it before I buy it because I've never played one of these games before.

Paznos

Great OT, just barely started Tactics Ogre but hopefully I'll be able to get this soon. Still haven't opened Ys 1 & 2 yet either lol.

Aeana

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I was going to wait but I may pick this up day one. Thanks for the OT.

What's the impression from J-GAF? Is it good or so-so? It kind of reminds me of a cross between Lunar Silver Star Harmony and Crimson Gem Saga. If it's around that quality than I'm down with this.
I've only ever met one person who played the series and didn't at least think it was decent. They post here so I expect them to chime in eventually. I personally like it a lot, although it isn't without its issues (especially SC, which suffers very heavily from repetition and really tried my patience about 1/2-3/4 through, even though it paid off in the end). Probably the weakest aspect of the games is the dungeon design. There are some dungeons that are really just bad.

Gunsmithx

Great OP I've been waiting for this since it was announced.

Thanks for the warning to pretty much avoid the Internet till I'm done with the game. I'm really looking forward to the novel in the game, crazy that they did that.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I have a suspicion that it is going to review oddly, if only because some will accuse it of being "half a game". It's still incredibly huge and a full experience in its own right, but the story is directly continued in Second Chapter (it was going to be one game originally until Falcom made the decision to expand it out into two releases because they couldn't do it justice otherwise) and so I have a terrible suspicion that a lot of journos will use it as an opportunity to get on a high-horse about "industry profiteering" and downrank the game just to make themselves look good. Some will be taken by the game and review it well (or at least fairly), but it is still a fear of mine.

I'm confident in saying it's at least on par with Silver Star Harmony, though.

Aeana: I would imagine some of the bosses in SC also made you tear your hair out, eh? Especially That One Person, who does the Bloody Thing? Crap, tiptoeing around spoilers really is hard :x

Varion

Aeana said:
I am honestly a little concerned about the localization. Ys 7's was very lackluster. So very boring to read compared to the original Japanese. If Trails in the Sky's is like that... well, I just hope it's not, because it matters so much more here. The screenshots I've seen so far aren't really enough for me to say either way. I want to have faith, XSEED.
That makes two of us, then. What I've seen in screenshots looks good, although I can't say I'm fond of all the name changes, both in terms of character names and move names (why did they need to change Klose's craft names? Licht Kreis to Radiant Plash? Really?). Then there's the infamous stuck islands thing a few months back that makes more than a little bit nervous about the skill of the translator as well.

I'm daring to hope though. At the very least the game's editor seems to know what she's doing, and she didn't work on any of the Ys games as far as I know, those were all Tom.

Canova said:
There's downloadable PSN version right?
Yes. It'll be released on US PSN the same day as the UMD release.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'd say FC is 'very good'. How much you'll like it will depend on how much you like the characters though, as much of it is character development and relatively slow, even compared to the rest of the series and especially up until a couple of chapters in. Personally I loved Estelle almost instantly, and Olivier is one of my favourite characters in the series, so they alone would've been enough to keep me interested. Thankfully the rest of the cast are great too though, but at the end of the day it's the first chapter on a big ongoing saga and it feels like one, settling you into the world, getting you familiar with the characters and concepts and such.

The music is great but, again, it's the weakest in the series in that regard. There's some really stellar tracks, the final dungeon track and everyone's-favourite-track-except-mine Silver Will in particular though. Battle system probably won't be to the tastes of people who want something quick, but it's quite unique and enjoyable providing you don't break the game by grinding too many Shining Poms, fabulously broken enemies that usually dodge everything but S-Crafts but give you tons of EXP and Sepith in exchange for beating them.

expy

Banned
Didn't hear about this game till my friend brought it up... She's been waiting for it since 2006..!

Bebpo

Banned
I support this thread even though I'm still only a half dozen hours into FC. Nice everything from what I played!

Top Bottom