• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT| A Link from the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Man, why doesn't chickens persist through loads.

I spent the entire morning commute bringing a chicken to a guardian so it can attack it and it just ran :( And loading the save just brought me back to my save chicken-less

In my 4-5 hours of playtime I've already had more unique experiences here than in the entirety of most open world games I've played. There are plenty of familiar elements, but everything comes together so elegantly that it feels like one of those truly new experiences you only get a few of every gen.

If this is somehow sustained for the entirety of the game...whew. I wouldn't even know what to say.

I love how it's taken inspiration from the things Zelda inspired, e.g., Team Ico and Souls games, and somehow raised the bar in certain aspects for the teams that created those wonderful games.

This game can only be good for the industry as a whole.

I was hoping I'd be able to avoid hyperbole because there's plenty out there already for BotW, but what can I say. Feels like that once in a blue moon that I'm playing a true masterpiece for the first time.

The chart is from the official guide. Pics of it are against the TOS to post here.

Basically

All the
Jewelery requires the corresponding gem, and the glow in the dark armor set requires luminous rocks.

I didn't realize that's where it from - thank you for clearing that up.

Since there doesn't appear to be any situation where
jewelry
is advantageous over armor, I probably won't keep any more gems... like, at all.

They're not used for anything else, are they?

Machina

Banned
Ocarina has been my favorite game ever since 1998. It's fitting that a game from the same franchise would be the one to finally usurp it

So I was randomly hunting down shrines around Dueling Peaks and somehow wound up running into (game-world enemy spoilers)
a giant Stalnox!

Had my arse absolutely handed to me about 15 times trying to fight it, but managed to use some ranged spears to keep it at bay and finally overcome it!

So awesome, it was a tough battle but not frustrating. I love the discovery elements in this Zelda. There is just stuff waiting to be found everywhere.

I was also rewarded with a (potential weapon spoiler?)
Lightning Sword
for my efforts in beating that bastard!

En-ou

Untitled.png

sorry

The last open world game I played before this was FFXV... lol, just makes me realize how truly awful that game was.

The speed of fast travel between FFXV and Zelda is a huge thing for me. It's not the fastest in Zelda, but it's definitely improved over most open world games... especially Final Fantasy.

What's the best way to earn rupees? Assuming a method exists.

Looking around some of the icy mountains for luminous stones (it's really easy at night) and then trading them for a diamond for the guy in Zora's domain.

Hunting big game in the mountains (rhinos and moose) and cooking and selling skewers of prime and gourmet meat.

valouris

1x firefly + 4x bokoblin fangs + pot = 50r

You can sell drugs in this game? Damn

Question: will I be able to continue my save if I go to beat the final boss? Only done 3/4
divine beasts
and still haven't got the
master sword
, just want to know.

Kyzer

Banned
have we reached the point yet where people hone in on and obsess over what they consider to be the games flaws in an attempt to dismiss the notion that the game is as good as people say? how long until "Do you guys think Aonuma and Nintendo are aware of Breath of the Wild's poor reception?" is a thread?

Pastry

Banned
I enjoy the Shrine quests just as much as th shrines themselves. I though the one at the top of Lanaryu mountain was super cool, I was not expecting that at all.

jokkir

I enjoy the Shrine quests just as much as th shrines themselves. I though the one at the top of Lanaryu mountain was super cool, I was not expecting that at all.

Yeah, that thing was rad, I want to do the quest again. Too bad the weapon you get breaks apparently :(

I'm convinced this game's true default green tunic should be the Twilight Tunic.

It seems to match everything and fits perfectly within the style of the game. It replaced the box art default shirt for me a bit ago and I don't think I could ever go back to bright blue.

Twilight Princess Link design just keeps winning. I think it's a really timeless Link that fits in all sorts of styles and designs. I imagine they'll still continue using that design well into the future.

The Tunic of Winds is silly looking on an adult and the Tunic of Time is not really the right color and is a bit too simple for the game. I don't have 8Bit Link so I don't really know how the classic tunic feels in game. But it lacks pants. So yea.
And the proper tunic for this game lacks pants and that looks really weird on this Link

Unless you're a version of Young Link, put on some pants.

I'm convinced this game's true default green tunic should be the Twilight Tunic.

It seems to match everything and fits perfectly within the style of the game. It replaced the box art default shirt for me a bit ago and I don't think I could ever go back to bright blue.

Twilight Princess Link design just keeps winning. I think it's a really timeless Link that fits in all sorts of styles and designs.

The Tunic of Winds is silly looking on an adult and the Tunic of Time is not really the right color and is a bit too simple for the game. I don't have 8Bit Link so I don't really know how the classic tunic feels in game.
And the proper tunic for this game lacks pants and that looks really weird on this Link

Actually, this is the game's default outfit. Sorry. It's just too cool not to be.

Twilight Princess Link design just keeps winning. I think it's a really timeless Link that fits in all sorts of styles and designs. I imagine they'll still continue using that design well into the future.

The Tunic of Winds is silly looking on an adult and the Tunic of Time is not really the right color and is a bit too simple for the game. I don't have 8Bit Link so I don't really know how the classic tunic feels in game. But it lacks pants. So yea.

Unless you're a version of Young Link, put on some pants.
I completely agree with you, but I will say the 8bit "Hero" set does mesh really well with this game's art style. Even the lack of pants looks okay when wearing the full outfit.

That said, I still prefer TP over it.

With its abilities it practically is the default outfit outside of extreme weather.

My headcanon is that it makes sense too! There's such a huge influence of the Shiekah in this game, and in my particular playthrough, Kakariko village was one of the first places Link went to after waking. Surely he'd be interested in learning more about the ways of the Shiekah!

I'm not far into the game so I haven't seen much, but every time I open this thread I read about some cool or crazy thing you can do in the game that I had no idea about. It sucks that it's a little spoilery but it's exciting.

Pinky

Banned
Had my first legitimate scare with 2 guardians last night. After updating the
Sheikah Slate with the camera and other goodies, I decided to venture closer to Hyrule Castle to find the location of the first memory. Well, I ended up getting trapped inside a small, stone fort by 2 guardians. I managed to lure one up to the fort and bomb the crap out of him, but damn! No damage! I'm assuming their weak spot is their eye. Anyway, I ended up bombing and killing my horse, but managed to find another one that happened to be walking by. When I saw a window of opportunity, I jumped on the new horse and hauled ass away from the Hyrule Castle area. The guardians pursued me, but dropped off rather quickly. Thank you, Mr. Horse!

Super intense and exhilarating! This game doesn't fuck around .

Timeaisis

Yep, I was just experiencing this like 20 minutes ago. I was worried my game was gonna crash.

Well, glad I'm not the only one. I think all the particles were chugging.

Oh, since we are pretty close to OT2:

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| There is a 98% Chance You Will Enjoy This Game

And the snarkier...

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| Your Inventory is Full

gardfish

This game has some serious potential for Fashion Zelda (doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Fashion Hunter, but you get what I mean). Lately I've been rolling with the Hylian Hood and the
ancient armor chest and legs
and Link looks pretty badass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom