• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

muteki

I have 4 hearts and completed my first divine beast last night. Why are you so afraid to die?

Fun Fact

I take my Switch with me to work and play 15-20 minutes every hour or so.

Still dont understand how I have 30+ bours but Ive barely touched the surface of the game. I can easily see final completion time at 200+ hours.

Same, I don't currently have any incentive to use my upgrades for hearts, or feel as though I need more. You lose heath quickly (instantly in many cases) but the game throws temporary hearts at you like candy. Also the pretty lenient autosave keeps the game from punishing you too much.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm I ready for Ganon? or need more hearts and upgrades?

Got:

13 hearts
4 Devine Beast skills
Master sword (obviously)
1st Tier upgrade on the default clothes.

That's plenty. Especially if you have a lot of life restoring food, food for extra hearts, defense/attack boosting etc. May not even need that, but super easy if you have it.

I've been farming the bowling game in the snowy mountains to get rupees.

It's a good way to get a lot of rupees without selling valuable materials.

I need the 10,000 rupees for the last fairy fountain and 6,000 rupees for the ancient armor set. I also need to fully upgrade my house.

The rupee grind continues! I love how the rupee economy actually works in this game.

Firemind

Same, I don't currently have any incentive to use my upgrades for hearts, or feel as though I need more. You lose heath quickly (instantly in many cases) but the game throws temporary hearts at you like candy. Also the pretty lenient autosave keeps the game from punishing you too much.
I think it's actually more fun if you only have one stamina meter, since you have to plan a route if you want to go higher, like an actual mountain climber.

ghibli99

I think it's actually more fun if you only have one stamina meter, since you have to plan a route if you want to go higher, like an actual mountain climber.
Nah, I like having extra stamina (and then food-boosted extra stamina) so that I can use the jump button to scale faster, especially for long climbs. No sense is wasting that kind of time (this coming from someone who has put 75 hours in so far and only beaten two bosses LOL).

Vena

Who ever designed Hebra and hid some of those shrines is a monster. A goddamn monster.

See that random hill? There's a shrine under it but only if you look at it from the right angle, from the right height, while wearing a dress on the third day of the month but only if you shield surfed and shot two bokoblins in the face.

Yo, that bird guy in the plains outside of Kakariko gave me a shrine quest and I think I'm in the right area to start looking for it.

The mountain next to Lanayru tower has bones and shit all over the base of the hill it's on. Going by the text of the puzzle I should be able to see it from there and I see like 4 shrines. Which one is it? Or do I need to climb the full mountain that has the bone structures at it's base?

JakeD

One thing I noticed recently that may not be widely known: (mild weapon spoilers)

the weapons on hinox necks scale up, even red hinox. It drops nothing but 40+ royal broadswords and 50+ royal claymores for me now

Quick way to load up wth quality stuff late game I'm thinking, especially because red ones go down in 5 hits now.

burgerdog

Did you guys end up googling the solutions to some of the riddles after trying to figure them out for a bit? I was initially just going to beat the game without looking up any guides but then I realized I was just going to ignore those quests until I beat the game and then use a guide. So far I've only had to look up how to unlock the fragmented shrine in the beach and I was overthinking it so much that the solution made me laugh.

Neoweee

Okay I repaired my Slate, what should I do next?
Find 12 locations?

My suggestion:
You'll get those 12 locations as you play the game.
You can really progress along any "main quest" vector, or explore for shrines/seeds/regions, etc.

Everybody plays it differently from there, essentially.

Did you guys end up googling the solutions to some of the riddles after trying to figure them out for a bit? I was initially just going to beat the game without looking up any guides but then I realized I was just going to ignore those quests until I beat the game and then use a guide. So far I've only had to look up how to unlock the fragmented shrine in the beach and I was overthinking it so much that the solution made me laugh.

No. I just move on and come back later. That no content really "blocks" any other content, other than a few quest chains, is like the single most freeing part about the game design.

greelay

I am not too experienced with the legend of Zelda franchise...but how do the dungeons in this game compare to the dungeons from past games?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I am not too experienced with the legend of Zelda franchise...but how are people comparing the dungeons in this game relative to past games?

They're either the worst or second-worst set of dungeons in 3D Zelda, depending on how charitable you want to be to The Wind Waker. I don't think many will disagree with that statement.

LucidFlux

I play the Wii U version on the tv in our upstairs living room, while my daughter plays on the switch. We're constantly telling each other to come and look, then we are marking each other maps for locations. Basically, we're playing Zelda as a co-op game, lol.

Lol. This is exactly how my wife and I are playing. Constantly pointing out things the other hasn't come across yet. Drawing maps and diagrams for each other. Although we have similar total play times (both well over 100 hours) There are still things she's seen that I haven't and vise versa. Even though I've cleared nearly everything aside from 20 or so side quests, she still has me beat on koroks!

jonno394

Man, the trek to Zoras Domain took me a fucking age! The (story spoiler)
constant rain made climbing nigh on impossible and after I went off course to do a shrine near Samasa Plain, I realised I couldnt get back quickly to where I was, so tried to go round another way first via the dam, and then via Tal Tal Peaks until I realised both were completely impassible. Then gave up and had to fast travel to the bottom of Zora river and start again!

Finally got there and it's lovely!

En-ou

Yo, that bird guy in the plains outside of Kakariko gave me a shrine quest and I think I'm in the right area to start looking for it.

The mountain next to Lanayru tower has bones and shit all over the base of the hill it's on. Going by the text of the puzzle I should be able to see it from there and I see like 4 shrines. Which one is it? Or do I need to climb the full mountain that has the bone structures at it's base?
Rabbia plains? Stand near kass and look around nearby and use your noodles. You don't have to climb any mountain but you do have to climb something.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I am not too experienced with the legend of Zelda franchise...but how are people comparing the dungeons in this game relative to past games?

That's one area it's very different/lacking.

You have the 120 shrines which are small dungeons/trials. Usually just 2-4 rooms. Sometimes puzzles, sometimes combat challenges, sometimes nothing as the challenge was finding them and you just walk to the chest and reward.

Then you have the 4 divine beasts which are the closest to true dungeons. But they're all similarly aesthetically in their interior design and feature the same structure of needing to find 5 portals then fights boss, with similar puzzle design in each of rotating/moving parts of the dungeon to get to things.

As someone who mainly loved past Zelda games for the dungeons, that was my biggest disappointment with BOTW and puts it below the other 3D console Zeldas--though I still love the game.

DrArchon

I am not too experienced with the legend of Zelda franchise...but how do the dungeons in this game compare to the dungeons from past games?

Much worse in my opinion. Way too short, way too few of them, no enemy variety, boring bosses, just so much worse than previous Zelda dungeons.

I also found them to be really easy, but some people disagree with regards to one or two of them.

robochimp

I think thats a fairly significant design flaw in the game. There's all this cool shit to find through exploration, and your reward is... some really lame boss fights. If anything, if you want good boss fights, going straight to hyrule castle and doing the boss rush is your best option. But then you miss all that amazing content. Its kind of weird that doing everything the game has to offer makes the bosses disappointing, its almost punishing you. They should either scale with what gear you have or just be harder in general.

How many truly hard bosses have their been in a 3D Zelda? The blight's just exist to add closure to a beast and move the main quest along, they aren't really there to act as a gate to progression anymore. That job now belongs to the map and all the systems that interact with it be it enemy placement, weather, stamina, weapon durability and on and on.

I'm really excited to see how Nintendo goes forward and I would be fine if that didn't include traditional dungeons.

Vena

I have resisted looking at any solutions or guides, makes the end result so much more rewarding, especially on some of the more obscure puzzles.

Firemind

Much worse in my opinion. Way too short, way too few of them, no enemy variety, boring bosses, just so much worse than previous Zelda dungeons.

I also found them to be really easy, but some people disagree with regards to one or two of them.
They're more memorable than the cookie cutter dungeons in the last couple of games which is all I ask for.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I always look up things after trying for a bit. My gaming time is limited, there's more great games that interest me than ever to make time to play and figuring out "where to go/what to do" isn't something I've ever particularly enjoyed in games.

I like some light puzzles, and never play with a guide the whole way or anything. But I'll only spend so much time trying to figure out what to do/where to go for a shrine quest, or beating my head against the wall trying to figure out a shrine puzzle etc. before I look it up so I can move on.

So I've looked up a handful of those type of things so far, and used a guide to find the last 8 or 9 memories I was missing before tackling Ganon as I didn't want to hassle with finding them on my own/getting the hints from the guy at the stable.

I enjoy gaming more this way, others want to spend as much time as they can with the game and figure out things on their own. Different strokes and all that.

Wait, so you can't dye the champions tunic? I wanted to dye it green - how else am I supposed to get a more classic look :(

By completing
all 120 shrines.

Finally got around to attempting A Major Test of Strength. It wasn't bad, but that's probably because I went in with a fully upgraded Champion's Tunic, Guardian pants, 2* diamond headband, and plenty of Royal-tier weapons. The weapon drops you get a pretty damn awesome too :0

Alienous

I do think the design of the 'dungeons' was a mistake. They made an attempt to translate some of the scale and open-ended nature of the world to the 'dungeons' themselves but I don't think they pulled it off well. They ended up feeling vapid to me, especially after completing the first one.

I wouldn't have minded regular old Zelda dungeons. An interior design more like interconnected shrines, complete with maps and keys, rather than
multiple puzzles in a large space

guaxibzjemvjd99byvtd.jpg

This would have been great, I think.

Had a girl over last night. I was playing Zelda when she showed up, but I never turned it off, I just warped Link to a tower and let him idle there while overlooking the beautiful world.

It was like having a living painting in the background while we talked. The dynamic weather added so much to it, too.

JakeD

I'm in the minority but I think its my favorite dungeons/puzzle setup in any Zelda game. I've always enjoyed the adventure aspect of Zelda games more than the dungeons anyway and with the more typical dungeons of old games I always got the sense of "well I guess I'm doing boomerang puzzles for the next 2 hours" right after entering. so I appreciate the short but harder "beast" dungeons and the very quick but still clever "shrine" dungeons.

I think maybe 2 more divine beasts and/or them being 30% larger and they would have had the perfect balance

Timeaisis

Finally got all 4 diving beasts down.

Now, I just need to finish the
leviathan bones
sidequest, find all the remaining memories (I have 3 left), and then it's off to ganon!

Regarding memories, anyone have a hint for the
one in the forest?
There's no obvious landmark I can use to orient myself. Is there a
painter clue
somewhere for that one?

I wish there was a "shrine rush" mode.

Not necessarily timed, but it'd be nice to have a bonus mode with all the shrines stitched together one after another.

Rixxan

I wish there was a "shrine rush" mode.

Not necessarily timed, but it'd be nice to have a bonus mode with all the shrines stitched together one after another.

I feel like that mode alone would be an 8/10 game

Which is why I kinda lol when I see legit 8/10s for BOTW as a whole

norm9

Though there were certain portions that challenged my brain and in one instance I must have glitched my way to a terminal i needed in the lizard beast, I much preferred the ALBW dungeons to BOTW dungeons. Thematically and monster variety were better in ALBW.

muteki

I do think the design of the 'dungeons' was a mistake. They made an attempt to translate some of the scale and open-ended nature of the world to the 'dungeons' themselves but I don't think they pulled it off well. They ended up feeling vapid to me, especially after completing the first one.

I wouldn't have minded regular old Zelda dungeons. An interior design more like interconnected shrines, complete with maps and keys, rather than
multiple puzzles in a large space

This would have been great, I think.

(Only completed Ruta so far) I like the idea and the whole package behind the dungeons, but I almost wish it played out in reverse, feels kinda anticlimactic.

And I do wonder what the loading screen at the entrance was for. Are they cheating the scale of the beasts relative to the world or the
interior
detail?

ZZMitch

The only thing I've had to look up so far was this one shrine I found where you had to rotate a big box around.
Had no idea you were supposed to make a campfire and light the five things sticking out on fire.
just kept rotating the box around and getting nowhere until I looked it up lol.

ghibli99

I've 100%'d every Zelda (except some Skulltulas in OoT), and while I've only done two major ones in BOTW, I really enjoyed them. They don't rely on the "find tool, beat boss with tool" formula, and they are nicely meshed in with the game's lore. They are much more mechanical feeling, like the Water Temple (OoT), Lakebed Temple (TP), etc.

They feel less like this separate part of the world, and simply this major thing you need to finish as part of the world and story itself, and I like that. Combined with the shrines, I'm getting a lot out of this game's puzzle-solving aspects.

Edit: The post below pretty much nails it. :)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

If you add up 10-15 shrines together, give it an aesthetic theme (like forest or fire) and then put a lynel after half and a boss after the other half you've pretty much got your average zelda dungeon from the past 10 years.

atr0cious

Just finished walking through a lot of Hebra and wow is that region expertly done. Just feels like another world, so desolate and lonely, had to take wolf link for company. The mountains feel like they were created to pull you in all directions with little liips and ramps suggesting you climb here. The air draft currents placed around the region are also perfectly placed, allowing you to explore the valley and then return up top without a real time penalty. Had some fantastic battles with lynels, found a major test of strength that literally ended on a critical break rright when the guardian was a bout to one shot me. But the best moment was stumbling on a bear. All of a sudden he's chasing me and running in circles around me and I remember you can mount him. So I think, what do bears love? So I dropped honey.

...and he literally stopped chasing me and pawed at the honey. I know I'll trigger some folks, but this game, I laughed at how absurd but perfect it was. Probably the last time I'll play without recording, missed way too much.
If you add up 10-15 shrines together, give it an aesthetic theme (like forest or fire) and then put a lynel after half and a boss after the other half you've pretty much got your average zelda dungeon from the past 10 years.

Lol, not a single enemy in the 3d games comes close to a lynel. Iron Knuckles are a joke.

_Rob_

I hadn't thought of it like that, it's actually pretty clever that they've split the dungeons into smaller chunks and spread them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom