• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without spoilers can anyone say if the game has plentiful meaningful dungeons (not the shrines)? I remember pre-release people were concerned it only had like 3-4.

No... but don't let that discourage you.

I am hopeful that the next game will use the same engine, which will give them time to put in more dungeons.

Ultimadrago

Without spoilers can anyone say if the game has plentiful meaningful dungeons (not the shrines)? I remember pre-release people were concerned it only had like 3-4.

The statement is near accurate. They are also rather short and, personally, came off more as larger shrines than fully fleshed, well presented dungeons.

Your mileage may vary on that last sentence, but my advice to people is to take in as much of the world and shrines as satiate you because none of the story dungeons did it for me.

Was looking at the upgrade requirements for some of the armours to max them out...man this is ridiculous. I thought maxing out the Wild Set was a pain in the ass. I'm laughing at anyone trying to bother to upgrade those amiibo armours even to tier 1.

NEO0MJ

Speaking of money, is there any specific walkthrough on how to maximize money per input when cooking? Or can I just throw in whatever in the pot and sell it?

random25

Too bad. Maybe Nintendo didn't want people to farm weapons for money? It seems like it should be an option. Strange really...

It's probably to avoid you losing out on essentials for combat at any point in the game. You can buy arrows, yet you can't sell them for example. And there's nobody except one that lets you "buy" weapons.

JonCha

C7aWzPnU4AA-bZt.jpg

[heavy breathing]

Where is this?

Feep

Banned
Anyone know why there's a random metal door in the bottom of that pond? I don't think there's any korok puzzles nearby

C7Z48aBUwAEQX3C.jpg
There's no *particular* reason, but inside the door were a bunch of fish. They escape and full the pond once you pull the door open. You probably just didn't notice.

Lots of cheap bass!

darklin0

Banned
Did it drop big rupees? It hasn't spawned for me since I started wondering if it would.
It just fell over and poofed. I did not check to see if it did, I just reloaded my auto save cause I realized instantly I made a mistake. xD
Mononoke was my first thought too when I saw that thing. Except I tried to photograph it, not kill it lol.
I felt pretty bad after, especially because it reminded me so much of Mononoke.
D: If only it dropped Rupees!

I don't think I ever found one. After the first few towns didn't I gave up on trying though.
I wouldn't of normally but I saw it and instantly thought to myself, "Now watch closely everyone, Im going to show you how to kill a god." I then I promptly let loose and arrow.
At least they are not as bad as that kid
in Terry Town.

I regret helping that family, the father is a twat.

I have 36 defense on my armor, the master sword, 5 points in stamina and 11 hearts yet I'm too scared to do the first divine beast...

Am I a bitch?

Quoting myself, turns out I was being a bitch and I beat Waterblight Ganon in about 60 seconds haha. I beat the Yiga Clan boss as well, might try Thunderblight Ganon tonight but hear he is the hardest boss..?

darklin0

Banned
Quoting myself, turns out I was being a bitch and I beat Waterblight Ganon in about 60 seconds haha. I beat the Yiga Clan boss as well, might try Thunderblight Ganon tonight but hear he is the hardest boss..?

Thunderblight is only hard if you don't realize some key clues when he goes into second phase. Otherwise it is as easy as the others.

Edit: Also with 36 armor you should be able to breeze through everything.

Thunderblight is only hard if you don't realize some key clues when he goes into second phase. Otherwise it is as easy as the others.

Edit: Also with 36 armor you should be able to breeze through everything.

That's comforting to know, I am usually quite good at spotting things in boss battles but I usually panic and fuck it up haha.

Ventara

So found the last two memories tonight, the last tower, and found the bowling mini game beside it. You guys weren't kidding when you said it's the best way to make rupees. This totally breaks the game's economy. Kinda glad I only found it near the end. Gonna finish off the last two Divine Beasts and head for Gabon next.

So found the last two memories tonight, the last tower, and found the bowling mini game beside it. You guys weren't kidding when you said it's the best way to make rupees. This totally breaks the game's economy. Kinda glad I only found it near the end. Gonna finish off the last two Divine Beasts and head for Gabon next.

Yeah I made like 10k in 5-10 minutes, I only stopped because the load screen between bowls was getting on my nerves haha.

jariw

Rupees is my biggest complaint with the game. I had to exploit a mini game to get what I needed which is a lot (20k total I want to say)

Why? There are places that pays really good for things you find, cook or kill - but don't sell to a NPC that are located where those things are common anyway. What to sell to which NPC becomes pretty apparent when talking to them.

Burny

What is it with Yiga and bananas? They've been obviously struck with the comic relief bat. ^^ Does the game 'explain' it anywhere?

Dreavus

Quick stupid question that doesn't actually matter but is kind of bugging me:

(possible divine beast spoiler):
Does that "laser sight" aimed at the castle post-boss fight from vah ruto stay forever? It's kind of mucking up my vistas TBH.

Golnei

My habit of pulling out a bomb before talking to any new NPC paid off -
the Pelison recruitment cutscene
is absolutely hilarious when there's another Goron standing next to them frozen in abject horror as they tearfully depart to that piano track.

Also, after Vah Ruta, I thought I was warming up to the soundtrack more; but all of the Death Mountain music is doing its best to annihilate that goodwill. The irritating repetitive piano and choir track for scaling Death Mountain, the jaunty ragtime interspersed with tuba farts that plays in the Northern Mines, the Goron City theme - it's not just inoffensive wallpaper like the other pieces I'm not too fond of, it's actively annoying.

Unrelated, but Rito kids are the cutest kids!

The baby Gorons are cuter.

Is "Blue Flames" one of them? I like the length of that one. If every shrine was that substantial my thirst of traditional dungeons would have been quenched.

Blue Flames was a really satisfying length, it allowed for enough variations on the core concept (culminating in a perfect use of the 'dungeon item' - which I'd thrown into the lava earlier...) while also including small additional obstacles (the spike ball, the initial spiked ceiling, the guardians on the flammable leaves) that mostly serve the pacing rather than being puzzles in their own right, which results in a more enjoyable experience than just solving a single core problem. I definitely wouldn't be feeling like the game was missing more expansive dungeons if more shrines were like it.

mkvl

Neo Member
Man this game... I'm lost for words. After 60+ hours the game still amazes me and fill me with joy while playing. I love games but I'm feeling like when I was younger and I thought this would never be possible since the N64/PS generation.
I know this doesn't add anything to the OT but I had to get it out of my chest. This game even with its flaws is so special. More than a grade the best way to describe Zelda BotW is the word special.

Dreavus

What is it with Yiga and bananas? They've been obviously struck with the comic relief bat. ^^ Does the game 'explain' it anywhere?

One of them talks about how much he loves bananas and tries to sell you some for way over asking price before trying to kill you. I thought it was cute when he dropped one.

Yes it is.

I am irrationally annoyed about this, but I GUESS I'll eventually get over it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
1st divine beast done, that was exhilarating. ^_^

Also got pissed at the joycon shoulder buttons while fighting a boss, stupid plastic. I got low joycon battery warning like three times but forgot about it and kept playing. Magical game.

It is hilarious to swim up a waterfall, couldn't stop grinning.

Maengun1

Well, I finally discovered
the master sword. Not that it's insanely hidden or anything, as soon as "Lost Woods" popped up on screen I figured that's where it would be located. It just so happens that that was one of the last areas of the game I finally ventured into after more than 30 hours of playtime. I only have 6 hearts so there's no way I could get it now, but just seeing it appear in the distance with the koroks hovering around it was the most exhilarated I can remember feeling in many, many years during a video game. Amazing.

Well, I finally discovered
the master sword. Not that it's insanely hidden or anything, as soon as "Lost Woods" popped up on screen I figured that's where it would be located. It just so happens that that was one of the last areas of the game I finally ventured into after more than 30 hours of playtime. I only have 6 hearts so there's no way I could get it now, but just seeing it appear in the distance with the koroks hovering around it was the most exhilarated I can remember feeling in many, many years during a video game. Amazing.

I unfortunately heard where it was due to someone not spoiler tagging but it paid off because I made it my priority to get 13 hearts and get the Master Sword before I did any bosses.

Burny

One of them talks about how much he loves bananas and tries to sell you some for way over asking price before trying to kill you. I thought it was cute when he dropped one.

Cool, but didn't meet that one. Do they spawn randomly in the environment?

The game is full of those neat little touches, that reference the ingame world and logic.
In the Gerudo school to teach their women how to handle men, (err... secrets of love or so, use your abdomen muscles for, err... whatever...? ^^), there's a little extract of a map at the wall, which shows a blue heart. It's a reference to the heart shaped pond somewhere in the southeastern mountaneous parts near the fisher village. You'll find a Gerudo a the pond and a youg male Hylian across the pond, looking at each other, whom you can bring together by doing a tiny "courier" quest. They'll thank you and the male will give you a couple uf rupees, only to be shouted at by his new Gerudo better half whether that's all she's worth to him. Upon which he'll prompty hand over another 100 rupees. It was a pretty comical carricature and very charmingly done. Was having a good laugh at the quest with my better half. ^^
There's no long-winded, heavy handed explorers book entry to point you to this. It's a simple thing on a wall, entirely missable, seemingly non relevant, that implies however a tiny story connecting the dots, telling you something about the characters in the world.

These tiny references within the game are done masterfully. They're just tiny, but they show how insanely polished every aspect is for this being an open world game. It ties the world together and at least suggests that it has an internal consistency, rather than having been developed by different outsourced studios distributed across the world who hardly talked to each other.

octopiggy

I've beaten all the shrines but my shrines quests show 40/42 cleared. Why? Did I find some shrines before getting the hints? Can I still mark them as completed?

Karanlos

I've beaten all the shrines but my shrines quests show 40/42 cleared. Why? Did I find some shrines before getting the hints? Can I still mark them as completed?

Yeah finding and completing before quests doesn't complete the quest, but you can still get the quest which completes instant.

Mistle

can't remember where but I talked to an NPC who said the Yiga leader really likes bananas, so I guess it's just like an odd cult thing with them haha

Amber is safe to sell till end game. Diamonds are safe to sell early game, but become valuable for certain equipment later on. Light stones or w/e they were called don't ever sell. Everything else unless you want a specific equipment are safe to sell imho.

Impulsor

I love this game so, so much.

I already beat the final boss, and got all the shrines... but I want to play more!

I want to do more side quest and play minigames and find korok seeds and just run around the world.

I'm sporting the
tunic of the Wild set fully maxed, which took a few hours of farming
and it feels like The legend of zelda and a Link to the past but in 3d and ultra huge.

so much stuff to do in this game.

Kyzon

This guy's brother is murdering my life. Club moveset is pretty insane. Way harder to deal with than this spear one.

17359110_10103144558262438_5659143335572317820_o.jpg

Also, bonus picture.

17311276_10103144557459048_6710722130310699236_o.jpg

Got to the Rito Divine Beast last night, I love the little battle before you're able to board the Divine Beasts, they're pretty epic.

Also where does one find this bowling game? I need rupees

Guys there's something wrong with me. I've never played a game for this many hours, I haven't been productive since this game launched. I'm at 120+ hours. Going to take a break from the game tomorrow.

mrkgoo

Guys there's something wrong with me. I've never played a game for this many hours, I haven't been productive since this game launched. I'm at 120+ hours. I've never played a game for this long. Going to take a break from the game tomorrow.

I had to stop. I physically packed my Wii U away to stop.

correojon

Yesterday I took things slow, decided to use the Sheikah sensor to go after collectibles to complete some sidequests and get missing materials to upgrade equipment. One of them took me to a place I´d been to a thousand times before and I ended up finding a cool treasure quest and 2 shrines, one of the with a nice little puzzle to unlock it :) Only 3 more shrines remaining now! I also beat a Silver Lynel who dropped a 105 club. My next strongest weapon was another Lynel club at 84.

When I look at my actions list the last one is still marked as ?????. Does anyone know what I´m missing? If it´s a big spoiler please don´t tell me and just say I have to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom