• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The journey to Zora's Domain was fucking rad. I kinda wandered into the starting point by accident while trying to climb to a tower but it was raining so I settled for the nearby shrine instead and ran into the prince. I love these moments in BotW where they are a mix of random exploration, scripted events, and a pathway that is somewhat linear but also totally freeform in approach. It's the best marriage of designed content and emergent gameplay.

Adaren

I actually came into Zora's Domain by catching an updraft on the east side and climbing the rest of the way. I climbed to the highest peak and then dove into the resovoir and swam to the capital.

It didn't feel unintended, though. I found plenty of treasure and Koroks on my mountain-traversing journey. It was a great example of an "approach it however you want" game experience.

vypek

I beat the game earlier today. Some thoughts:

I can't say that I cared for the final dungeon or the final fight. Not sure if I needed the 13th memory for a scene in the ending or if I got it and didn't realize when I had the 12th memory that is located in the castle. I fucking hate guardians of all types. lol. And I wish I got to keep the final bow that you are given in the final fight. Would have been a nice reward for clearing the game.

llehuty

The journey to Zora's Domain was fucking rad. I kinda wandered into the starting point by accident while trying to climb to a tower but it was raining so I settled for the nearby shrine instead and ran into the prince. I love these moments in BotW where they are a mix of random exploration, scripted events, and a pathway that is somewhat linear but also totally freeform in approach. It's the best marriage of designed content and emergent gameplay.
Yeah, that whole section is so cleverly designed. There are actually several NPCs guiding you to the starting point, but it's done in very organic way.

Majukun

-18 shrines to the
goal

no idea where they are though..i only have one shrine related mission (and i still can't find what i'm supposed to do)

DrArchon

Beat the game just now. Got all of the memories, shrines, beasts, and 152 korok seeds.

Ganon was underwhelming across the board. The first form looked like shit and the second wasn't that fun to fight but at least looked incredibly badass. Both were a piece of cake too, though I had the Master Sword and the Beasts to help out. Still had more trouble with Thunderblight Ganon honestly. Was nice to have my GIANT HORSE join me, seeing as I never used him during the main game.

Also, how has Zelda not aged a day in 100 years? She should look like Impa at this point!

I think I'll keep on playing just to wander around the overworld finding neat stuff. I figure I can find another 100 or so Seeds before I lose all interest in them.

DrArchon

rubies and saphires are safe to sell?

You can use them to make/upgrade some certain clothing items, but if you've got a bunch then go ahead. It's incredibly easy to find gems later in the game, so if you need money now I don't see why you shouldn't sell them.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This morning I picked up my horse at a stable and I've been just riding the main roads. I'm surprised how many new places I've been finding. Previously I've been taking direct routes so I've been missing a lot of roadside attractions.

kunonabi

I ended up skipping all that so Zora's domain ended up pretty lackluster in my playthrough. Not as lackluster as Rito but still not particularly exciting.

Malus

I just realized watching a let's play I coulda been tossing my weapons to get rid of em instead of going into the menu.

I also just noticed link does a kickball animation when throwing while running.

I've been watching this LP for an hour.

I played for 140 hours.

Steejee

I just realized watching a let's play I coulda been tossing my weapons to get rid of em instead of going into the menu.

I also just noticed link does a kickball animation when throwing while running.

I've been watching this LP for an hour.

I played for 140 hours.

This game just has endless little touches to find like that. I think I realized the tossing weapons pretty early, which was good. Sadly can't toss bows and shields as easily.

Septimius

I cant even level more than once yet :)

You can safely sell them all up until you get near end game. Some armor requires it to upgrade, but on my next playthrough, I will sell them all up until I feel I'm deep in the game. It should really allow for some good cash flow. I'd say sell them evenly until you have all the cash you need.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just discovered how to surf on a shield. everything else is on hold. i'm gonna just spend a load of time sliding down hills. sorry zelda you gotta wait.

Stopdoor

I ended up skipping all that so Zora's domain ended up pretty lackluster in my playthrough. Not as lackluster as Rito but still not particularly exciting.

As much as climbing everything is fun, you almost need to force yourself to stay on paths sometimes because there's some interesting designed encounters in a lot of places. It's a weird push and pull.

Malus

As much as climbing everything is fun, you almost need to force yourself to stay on paths sometimes because there's some interesting designed encounters in a lot of places. It's a weird push and pull.

True, once I was in the southern area of the map and saw a big mountain, but I knew there was a horse stable at the bottom which probably had people talking about the mountain and quests to pick up so I started from there. Definitely better than going to the top first and making my way down.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
just discovered how to surf on a shield. everything else is on hold. i'm gonna just spend a load of time sliding down hills. sorry zelda you gotta wait.
Don't forget to try it when it's raining where you normally wouldn't bother.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"hmm how do I get in this shrine
surrounded by thorny vines, I wonder if I can burn them
?"

"yes, yes I can"

love how little logic things just simply work in this.

SOMEtimes I get a bit annoyed with it. The forced linearity occasionally clashes with my desire to go somewhere on the map and barrel through it in a straight line cause you can climb everything (as long as its time to do so). Eventually I throw my hands up and go "OKAY BOTW, we'll go the long way." Its always worth it in the end with some pretty cool moments and on-the-spot scenarios despite initial frustration.

With regard to Zora's Domain
the constant rain was really annoying as I typically travel to the higher areas in any given environment to scout and it made that difficult. Once I gave in and followed the path more I enjoyed the scenario for what it was
. Its one hell of a mix. Must have been a nightmare to plan out a world this big that still has some degree of funneling for the player at times. Curious to see how it may be broken in the future.

Another story (Faron region shine spoiler)
This area was driving me crazy with the constant lightning until I saw the big cracked mound/rock and put together that I needed to get it struck by lightning to reveal the shrine
. Those moments thus far have always been worth the frustration. Its somewhere between the random encounters that (I think) RDR introduced and complete open world whatever-ness.
"hmm how do I get in this shrine
surrounded by thorny vines, I wonder if I can burn them
?"

"yes, yes I can"

love how little logic things just simply work in this.
Great example. The puzzles I've enjoyed the most in this game aren't even in the shrines. Those organic aha moments feel great.

SOMEtimes I get a bit annoyed with it. The forced linearity occasionally clashes with my desire to go somewhere on the map and barrel through it in a straight line cause you can climb everything (as long as its time to do so). Eventually I throw my hands up and go "OKAY BOTW, we'll go the long way." Its always worth it in the end with some pretty cool moments and on-the-spot scenarios despite initial frustration.

Eh... I strongly disagree with that. Some linearity is absolutely required to have memoryable experiences. I actually kinda wish there were more linear passages like the way up to Zoras Domain. It also adds diversity to gameplay and is important to tell a story.

kunonabi

So is there any reason for limits on how many gear upgrades you can get in a day? I mean, other than the game just being annoying for the sake of being annoying.

Eh... I strongly disagree with that. Some linearity is absolutely required to have memoryable experiences. I actually kinda wish there were more linear passages like the way up to Zoras Domain. It also adds diversity to gameplay and is important to tell a story.
I'm actually agreeing. My comment is that sometimes when these moments come up I feel frustrated that, unlike the majority of the game (at least my play time of it), I loose some control to tackle it a particular way or my "typical" way.

In the end though I ultimately really enjoy those moments. Just a bit jarring when they arise. I think there could be some level of improvement here in the future if they stick with the BOTW core design, though I don't know how (and I can't think of any games that have done it with a game world this size).

Stencil

Guys I'm having trouble bringing myself to finish the game. Defeated all 4 Divine Beasts and now I'm just dawdling before trying to enter
Hyrule Castle.
I don't want it to end.

Finished Tarrey Town and now no sidequests are really jumping out, so... Do I just walk in head on? Someone mentioned an East Tunnel entrance or something, should I look for that?
How long would you estimate from entrance to defeating the final boss takes?

JeTmAn81

Well, I finally beat Ganon after around 58 hours. Had the
Master Sword and Hylian Shield
(which broke during the fight!). Didn't have much trouble with the fight itself. I did have all four Divine Beasts. Not sure how much more I'll do. There's a bunch of stuff I haven't done yet. I only did around 40 shrines, didn't finish any labyrinths and have a lot of uncollected memories.

Malus

Guys I'm having trouble bringing myself to finish the game. Defeated all 4 Divine Beasts and now I'm just dawdling before trying to enter
Hyrule Castle.
I don't want it to end.

Finished Tarrey Town and now no sidequests are really jumping out, so... Do I just walk in head on? Someone mentioned an East Tunnel entrance or something, should I look for that?

Depends entirely on how much you wanna explore. Going around and seeing everything could take you
a few hours
. Going straight for the boss could mean beating the game in a matter of like
15 minutes
or sooner if you know what you're doing.

Well, I finally beat Ganon after around 58 hours. Had the
Master Sword and Hylian Shield
(which broke during the fight!). Didn't have much trouble with the fight itself. I did have all four Divine Beasts. Not sure how much more I'll do. There's a bunch of stuff I haven't done yet. I only did around 40 shrines, didn't finish any labyrinths and have a lot of uncollected memories.
Dude you must explore every inch of the map, collect every Korok seed, finish all shrines, stop slacking, play DA GAME!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That Ice cube quest sure is annoying.
I just
killed all the enemies along that path first then simply walked with it. The only annoying thing I got was a blood moon while walking with it and all the enemies respawned so I had to try it a second time.

Not that I have noticed. Hopefully I am wrong and there is something
My fingers are crossed for the story DLC at the end of the year.

Malus

I just
killed all the enemies along that path first then simply walked with it. The only annoying thing I got was a blood moon while walking with it and all the enemies respawned so I had to try it a second time.

I
dropped it in some shade and picked off the enemies with arrows as I went along.

no you dont

No but if you don't do the
snowball pachinko
shrine then you're not a real Legend of Zelda.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dude you must explore every inch of the map, collect every Korok seed, finish all shrines, stop slacking, play DA GAME!

no you dont

also, damn
Zora, I get it, you want me to go see your prince, stop pestering me
:3

kunonabi

Hyrule Castle.
I don't want it to end.

maybe 10 minutes. Hyrule Castle is super short if you're just headed for the boss. I didn't really fight anything in the Castle though since there isn't any reason to.

JeTmAn81

There's still plenty of stuff I'm interested in (not Korok seeds obviously) so I'm sure I'll do more. I just don't have a lot of time for games so I'm not sure how long until I will move to something else.

Hyrule Castle.
I don't want it to end.

Did you find the
Typhlo Ruins? Eventide Island? Trial of Thunder? There are also labyrinths to the NE, NW, and *maybe* SW.

AniHawk

so i'm about 70 hours in. so far i've gotten 117 shrines and 2 divine beasts. most big sidequests are done. the plan is to defeat the remaining shrines and quests and take care of a few monsters.

for hyrule castle, i've been there a couple of times. each one was an infiltration mission. however for the final confrontation i'm going to storm the gates in a no-fucks frontal attack. seems like the endgame should support that strategy.

Beat the game, procastinated a lot, around 105 shrines done, found lots of awesome weapons and shields and shit. Amazing. 10/10 for me. Could have played way more than I did but I wanted to beat it before persona 5 but I did a lot and didn't feel rushed.

so i'm about 70 hours in. so far i've gotten 117 shrines and 2 divine beasts. most big sidequests are done. the plan is to defeat the remaining shrines and quests and take care of a few monsters.

for hyrule castle, i've been there a couple of times. each one was an infiltration mission. however for the final confrontation i'm going to storm the gates in a no-fucks frontal attack. seems like the endgame should support that strategy.

I didn't put nearly that much time in and was able to do exactly that.

AniHawk

I didn't put nearly that much time in and was able to do exactly that.

sounds like fun! i have to admit i'm doing it partly out of headcanon. the story is so minimal that i'm kind of imagining this is what this particular link would do based on his conversations with almost everyone in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom