• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

You do become overpowered fairly quickly in the game... With Mipha's Grace and bottled fairies I haven't seen the game over screen in a long time.

After my first playthrough I'd like to start a new game and try to defeat Ganon as soon as possible... I wonder what the minimum amount of preparation I would need before I can do it. I'm aware that speedrunners have done it in less than an hour, but I know it would take me much longer than that.

I believe you need 13 hearts for the Master Sword?
?

lol yes, I believe that's what he was subtly referencing.

Also: 200-ish hours, 120 shrines, 300-something Koroks, been spending a few dozen hours exploring and upgrading armor - but now I'm strongly considering defeating Ganon tonight... IN THE NUDE. I want to actually feel some challenge with this final fight. You guys think a naked run at the big pig might be enough to give me a challenge, even at my overpowered state?

Any suggestions on how I can handicap myself to make Ganon more fun to wreck?

Also: 200-ish hours, 120 shrines, 300-something Koroks, been spending a few dozen hours exploring and upgrading armor - but now I'm strongly considering defeating Ganon tonight... IN THE NUDE. I want to actually feel some challenge with this final fight. You guys think a naked run at the big pig might be enough to give me a challenge, even at my overpowered state?

I would assume you'd die in one hit like that... I haven't fought Ganon or saw any footage of the fight, but with no armor even regular enemies almost kill be with one hit.

Voidwolf

Unequip all the abilities you get from the Champions and get rid of your fairies. And maybe don't use the Master Sword or Hylian shield? I don't think I'd be able to stop myself from doing that.

Futureman

Didn't touch my Switch for like 2 weeks and thought I was kinda over Zelda.

Loaded it up last night and put about 3 hours in. Now I'm right back in it! Found the 2nd to last tower, found a handful of Koroks, got 3 more shrines, added a heart container and I finally could
pull out the Master Sword!

Now I'm back again at the Yiga Clan hideout. Trying to sneak by these guys but I'm in a room after you sneak by 2 or 3 guys and not sure what to do. It's right after that one room with like 20 banana bunches. I'm above a room in the rafters with 3 or so Yigas roaming below...

taybul

So in this game do you take more damage if you get hit in the back? I've come across some enemy camps where a hit from one enemy would maybe take 2-3 hearts and another from the same camp would take like 7-8. Critical hits maybe? My armor's upgraded 2-3x but I'm still getting hit pretty hard. I just finished all the beasts.

So in this game do you take more damage if you get hit in the back? I've come across some enemy camps where a hit from one enemy would maybe take 2-3 hearts and another from the same camp would take like 7-8. Critical hits maybe? My armor's upgraded 2-3x but I'm still getting hit pretty hard. I just finished all the beasts.

Same coloration with each monster? That's the easiest way to get a rough idea of who has the most health and also who will potentially deal the most damage.

The weapons they're carrying are also a variable. Might be a silver Moblin, but if he's hitting you with a torch because you stole his club, obviously it'll be a very different fight.

Loaded it up last night and put about 3 hours in. Now I'm right back in it! Found the 2nd to last tower, found a handful of Koroks, got 3 more shrines, added a heart container and I finally could

Now I'm back again at the Yiga Clan hideout. Trying to sneak by these guys but I'm in a room after you sneak by 2 or 3 guys and not sure what to do. It's right after that one room with like 20 banana bunches. I'm above a room in the rafters with 3 or so Yigas roaming below...
This is why I try really hard not to play it. I'm finally making some backlog progress and don't want to get sucked in again. Gotta save stuff to do for the DLC!

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Random thoughts on the game below. It's very enjoyable to play, but I don't see myself ever going for 100% or a repeat playthrough.

Final boss fight:
I never learned how to counter attacks, so the Ganon fight took forever.

I'm not a fan of the collectathon for upgrades. Give me more Biggoron's Sword type of quests. And no, treasure chests under water doesn't excite me either.

Cooking, shrines,
EvenTide Island
and overworld exploration were awesome.

Dungeons were
empty, boring puzzles with shit bosses

Combine this Overworld with Ocarina of time dungeons and items, and you'll really have something timeless. Sheikah slate abilities were just dull.

Letting people do things out of order doesn't mean you should get rid of useful, fun dungeon items. Just make multiple travel routes to each of the areas.

taybul

Same coloration with each monster? That's the easiest way to get a rough idea of who has the most health and also who will potentially deal the most damage.

The weapons they're carrying are also a variable. Might be a silver Moblin, but if he's hitting you with a torch because you stole his club, obviously it'll be a very different fight.

Yeah this is up against silver and white moblins.

jdstorm

Banned

There is a room behind one of the enemies that has some chests in it. That has a secret exit, and it leads to something interesting. Just make sure to use your runes in that room and you will be fine.

kevin1025

Banned
Well, I finished it. 50-55 hours of incredible times!

Now when is the next one?

Definitely picking up the expansion pass later in the summer.

Griss

I read all of those posts like "I've been playing for 100 hours and I only just found a new stable!" and I was like "Really?" I had found all the stables after about 40 hours - after 40 hours you've been all over the map, pretty much.

Or so I thought! I was wrong about having seen all the stables - I had only assumed I had them all! 110 hours in, on my second playthrough, and god damn if I didn't find a new stable. Fucking blew my mind. Unfortunately there wasn't much to do there but it was like my 4th last shrine I had to get.

And what was amazing was that it was totally visible from Hyrule Castle. I have no idea at all how I missed it. But one thing is for sure - this open world, this game... it's utterly magical.

jnWake

Finally figured out how to do the (Kakariko)
heirloom quest
. It was pretty cool, getting to know more backstory to some of the villagers and the
Yiga clan

I'm starting to get close to the end. Currently at Gerudo Town with 100 shrines cleared and 3 beasts down...

I read all of those posts like "I've been playing for 100 hours and I only just found a new stable!" and I was like "Really?" I had found all the stables after about 40 hours - after 40 hours you've been all over the map, pretty much.

Or so I thought! I was wrong about having seen all the stables - I had only assumed I had them all! 110 hours in, on my second playthrough, and god damn if I didn't find a new stable. Fucking blew my mind. Unfortunately there wasn't much to do there but it was like my 4th last shrine I had to get.

And what was amazing was that it was totally visible from Hyrule Castle. I have no idea at all how I missed it. But one thing is for sure - this open world, this game... it's utterly magical.

150 hours and I'm still finding new areas I haven't been to. I think some people confuse activating a tower in an area with "I've seen this area", or activating all the towers with "I've seen everything"... it gives a false sense of completion to your exploration.

Futureman

There is a room behind one of the enemies that has some chests in it. That has a secret exit, and it leads to something interesting. Just make sure to use your runes in that room and you will be fine.

yea the secret exit is what got me. Watched a YT vid earlier and got it.

Currently trying to stop the divine beast with the sand seals and bomb arrows.

DonShula

I'm still slow-burning this thing. 115 hours in and I have about half the shrines, two beasts, and 160 seeds. Still have three towers to activate.

I went back to some of the areas I'd previously activated but never explored. That's been a lot of fun. Had a giddy moment when I got surprised by
Farosh
coming up out of nowhere so I reacted by shooting him right in the mouth. I even said out loud "right in the face!" or something similar. Then a minute later I noticed he had dropped not a
scale
, but a
fang
instead. Didn't even remember seeing that as a
crafting
item before, but there it was.

I'm going to be crushed when this game is over. I've not had this much fun exploring since ALTTP.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You have to go back to Rito Village and talk to him after finishing his shrines.

There's also one non-shrine Kass quest you need to finish - the
Hero's Cache
one.

yep, that one too.

Thanks for this. So, I had done this but Kass was nowhere to be seen.

Turns out you can do the Shrine quests without talking to Kass to begin with if you just happen upon the shrines. I had to track him down at a couple of the shrines and talk to him to both get the relevant quest and then immediately complete it. Something Kass actually references in saying that you "seemingly being able to tell the future". :)

Then he turned up in Rito Village afterwards.

Caelus

95NAut6.gif

Just finished it
I assume after the credits and you go back you can keep killing Ganon as the quest is still in my quest log? I'm not sure how I feel about that and what the point is
this is also the first Zelda I've ever finished, I have to say it's a gaming masterpiece.

Regginator

Just finished it
I assume after the credits and you go back you can keep killing Ganon as the quest is still in my quest log? I'm not sure how I feel about that and what the point is
this is also the first Zelda I've ever finished, I have to say it's a gaming masterpiece.

Yeah, it just kicks you back before the final fight, basically like all other Zelda games. There isn't a game out there that lets you continue playing after the fight.

Are there realy no cats in this game? Haven't found one or the feline species anywhere

This is genuinely one of my only real criticisms of this game. I don't understand how they so perfectly represent all those adorable kids (Rito and otherwise) and pups - but not cats!

Ah well, maybe Aonuma is reading this and the next game will have 900 hidden kittens.

Got all 120 shrines for the
Of the Wild /classic green link outfit
and beat the game finally.

Fantastic Zelda. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now to beat Horizon.

Mastersword is a big disappointment

Use it against Guardians, then you'll be impressed. Its attack damage doubles, it becomes more durable than any other weapon, and it looks awesome as it glows. Hint:
cut off their legs one by one before going ham on their body.

jnWake

Did the infamous (Gerudo spoilers)
Yiga Clan Hideout
today.
GAF scared me saying it was annoying/hard/shit but it was very simple really. First few tries I tried to battle but got my ass kicked and tried stealth instead. It was really easy, especially if you have Stasis+. Master Kohga was a fun easy battle

Red

301 korok seeds. Satori mountain is dripping with them. There was a weird pinwheel nearby that required multiple activations, and which only worked at night. Not sure what the deal was.

Anson225

hi guys since i'm hunting down the remaining 5 shrines and I wanna clear everything before I storm the casle, can you please help on the below?

1. how many shrines are there in Hyrule Castle? (if any)
2. about Impa's orb - is it related
to the memories
? (yes or no will do)

Pokemaniac

hi guys since i'm hunting down the remaining 5 shrines and I wanna clear everything before I storm the casle, can you please help on the below?

1. how many shrines are there in Hyrule Castle? (if any)
2. about Impa's orb - is it related
to the memories
? (yes or no will do)

1. 1
  2. no

chicnstu

Neo Member
If an NPC is to give you a weapon or shield reward and your inventory for those is full, do they say "Sorry, come back when you have space." or do they give you Rupees instead?

I read awhile back of a complaint that
Urbosa's Fury
was too overpowered to be in the game. I used it a couple times and didn't think much of it. Then I crept up behind a sleeping Hinox and unwittingly charged it. One shot kill.

Yeah, I might agree now.

It was the first Titan I beat and the first "superpower" I got. I found the game to be pretty easy after that.

Strampas

Neo Member
First post in this thread after been playing the game a lot since release. Been trying to avoid reading too much here, afraid of reading spoilers (might have read a few). Though I feel it would be nice to read up on and learn some cooking recipes. I know almost no recipes, and I'm pretty bad in general in using pots (except health pots).

This might have been talked about a lot, but should I give up my dream on being able to transfer my botw save from Wii U to Switch? I currently play on my Wii U, but am thinking of getting a switch later this year or next year, if I can afford one. Cause I'm crying just thinking of losing all this progress, because if I get a Switch I think I'm going to try and sell my Wii U, that is if I'll get anything for it.

jdstorm

Banned
First post in this thread after been playing the game a lot since release. Been trying to avoid reading too much here, afraid of reading spoilers (might have read a few). Though I feel it would be nice to read up on and learn some cooking recipes. I know almost no recipes, and I'm pretty bad in general in using pots (except health pots).

This might have been talked about a lot, but should I give up my dream on being able to transfer my botw save from Wii U to Switch? I currently play on my Wii U, but am thinking of getting a switch later this year or next year, if I can afford one. Cause I'm crying just thinking of losing all this progress, because if I get a Switch I think I'm going to try and sell my Wii U, that is if I'll get anything for it.

With only 13M in the Wild, the Wii U should be quite the collectors console. I would hold onto it if you can.

Biggest revelation when it comes to cooking for me was learning that using multiples of the same item is often more effective (and much easier to remember) than trying to combine different ingredients.

For example cooking one Razorshroom gives you a low-level attack boost. Cooking two or three ups it to mid-level, and four to five shrooms makes it a high-level attack buff.

Not fully sure about the exact quantities in the above example, but I know that 4x Razorshrooms is a high-level meal. I love using it when fighting Lynels.

1. In every stable there's a poster on the wall telling a specific recipe. In every major town there's usually a cookbook with recipes as well. More often than not just mix what makes sense and usually that will suffice.

2. I'm sure you'll feel like playing it again if you get a switch a lot later from now. With the new hard mode and additional story expansion, it'd be like playing the game for the first time all over again I feel.

taybul

If an NPC is to give you a weapon or shield reward and your inventory for those is full, do they say "Sorry, come back when you have space." or do they give you Rupees instead?
For the few times this happened to me they mentioned that my inventory was full and allowed me to start the dialogue again.

Strampas

Neo Member
1. In every stable there's a poster on the wall telling a specific recipe. In every major town there's usually a cookbook with recipes as well. More often than not just mix what makes sense and usually that will suffice.

2. I'm sure you'll feel like playing it again if you get a switch a lot later from now. With the new hard mode and additional story expansion, it'd be like playing the game for the first time all over again I feel.

I've seen some recipes, but haven't been doing a lot of experimentet myself. But I will go back and check for them!

Yeah, I'm thinking if I should play the dlc on Wii U not. But. I'm not even sure when I'm going to get a switch, if I ever do. So I guess I should just play the game on Wii U. But the dlc sounds sweet!

Man, how do I actually get a dog to show me a treasure? I've fed these dogs so many fucking things and have seen their bond develop, like, four times each, but still the won't take me to a treasure.

Top Bottom