• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Is there a review scores prediction thread?

Cos I just wanted to say this really, even though I will never play this as this is the only game I want on WiiU/Switch. I reckon this game is locked for game of the year I have not been this hyped for a game since MGSV hopefully this one will actually be finished.

Everything looks on point for this from mechanics to environment only minor gripe is the world occasionally looks empty. I think this is on track for a 92+ Metacritic score maybe even 95, genuinely looks to be amazing.

See you all in 12ish hours
You should make that thread, it would be incredibly entertaining.

Aldric

I don't really think that being able to pick up an item an enemy dropped and use it exclusively in the room where you picked it up is really or even at all comparable to actually having a fully fleshed assortment of gear that you can equip.

The point is BotW's system feels far more like a fully realized evolution of what TWW introduced as a fun side distraction than something lifted from Dark Souls.

The point is BotW's system feels far more like a fully realized evolution of what TWW introduced as a fun side distraction than something lifted from Dark Souls.

It already wasn't an original idea when TWW used it, either, though.

Zelda's origins are in mining ideas from other RPGs.

KooopaKid

Banned
Equipment is quite rare also. Been putting more than 20 hours in the game and I've yet to find anything to replace my initial shirt from the Chamber of Resurrection. Found out REALLY cool headgear and pants tho, their special buffs are quite useful. I look like a pirate, hehe.

The game isn't that difficult actually, you just have to find good DPS weapons. You also gotta think about how you use your weapons since the durability is affected on what you hit. You can't simply hit whatever with anything, enemies and destructible environments have some kind of "material type" (organic, steel, rock, etc.). Like you better hit a guardian with your sledgehammer even if it has lower DPS than your sword. Not only you will do more damage (or the same, depending on the sword's DPS), but your sword would break after few hits.

So far, I'd say if this game had Horizon's technical level, it would have been an open-world/sandbox revolution. The game is simply amazing and even if I watched over 20 hours of videos and played 20 hours, I always find something new and exciting every 20 minutes or so.

I don't see why this would stop BotW from being an open-world/sandbox revolution in design, physics and mechanics.

So far, I'd say if this game had Horizon's technical level, it would have been an open-world/sandbox revolution. The game is simply amazing and even if I watched over 20 hours of videos and played 20 hours, I always find something new and exciting every 20 minutes or so.

So you mean graphical fidelity? Because I've been through at least 5 hours of Horizon now and the world is sort of less responsive as a whole? Not a lot of interactivity. Climbable areas are denoted by yellow, I can JUMP on top of peoples heads and just stay there with no response, background items don't have real physics beyond the foliage. At a technical level Zelda seems to take things a little further in that minor detail.

gamerMan

I honestly never played much of the first one because the graphics are too old for me to put up with now. Did they give you most of the puzzle-solving abilities up-front? Or were there significant puzzle-solving items found exclusively in the map?

Even in the first game you would find items in the dungeons that would open up other areas in the game. You didn't get all the items in the start. The only thing you had was a sword. In each dungeon, you would unlock a new item that would help you progress through the dungeon. Some of these items like bombs were needed to open up other areas on the map.

Dystify

Should I do a fun title for the review topic? If yes, got any suggestions?

Otherwise I'm going with "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread".

Pyrokai

Otherwise I'm going with "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread".

I think it be kept simple but also tribute the game. "Open your eyes..." seems the perfect subtile imo.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

Don't put "The Legend of Zelda" at the beginning, there are already 2 threads like that and a third would be really confusing. Maybe just "Review Thread: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" or "Breath of the Wild Review Thread"

Pat

So you mean graphical fidelity? Because I've been through at least 5 hours of Horizon now and the world is sort of less responsive as a whole? Not a lot of interactivity. Climbable areas are denoted by yellow, I can JUMP on top of peoples heads and just stay there with no response, background items don't have real physics beyond the foliage. At a technical level Zelda seems to take things a little further in that minor detail.

I only meant graphics (level of details, hi-res textures, view distance, AA, etc.), my bad. I will edit.

Myriadis

Unbelievable to see people play the plateau for hours, when it's a tiny point on the map 0_o

Real talk, it took me 3 hours to get off the plateau. Even in this tutorial area there is so much to discover. Protip:
Climb to the highest point of the area in your standard gear, with cold resitance potions. You'll get something nice.

In that case, definitely on the technical side. You can do anything, anytime and there is a ton of response, either by the surroundings or the people. I'm amazed, really. There are not many games that allow you such freedom, such room for experimentation like this one does.

Played it for 6 hours straight now and I love it.

Dystify

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread: don't give a review thread a subtitle lmao

It's not just any review thread though. :p But yeah okay, I'll go with the basic title. I hope people won't be angry that I put more graphics in the thread than a normal review thread has. I want everything about Zelda to be special.

Hell, not even necessarily just Horizon's visuals. If it had been like the very first Zelda footage that they showed with Link on the horse, that would have been fantastic already. It looked so damn clean, crisp, colorful and vibrant there. It's not like that on Wii U or Switch. They just can't do it.

It's in no way going to ruin my fun but I can't deny I wish it had looked like that.

It's not just any review thread though. :p But yeah okay, I'll go with the basic title. I hope people won't be angry that I put more graphics in the thread than a normal review thread has. I want everything about Zelda to be special.

I kinda agree with the above that you should title it something like -Review Thread- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

To distinguish it from all the other threads that start with "The Legend of Zelda"

NSESN

My ideas:
The Legend of Zelda Great Plateau OT - Breath of the Wild
Spoiler - Are there dungeons in this game?
Spoiler - Ganon is in this

Hell, not even necessarily just Horizon's visuals. If it had been like the very first Zelda footage that they showed with Link on the horse, that would have been fantastic already. It looked so damn clean, crisp, colorful and vibrant there. It's not like that on Wii U or Switch. They just can't do it.

It's in no way going to ruin my fun but I can't deny I wish it had looked like that.

It would of worked if it was a linear game.

Seriously people don't realize this game is massive and with the physics engine they had cut things where it mattered.

Xbro

Gonna quote this one from the impression thread:

It's amazing. I'll say that. I don't know how to say much without spoiling, but everything about the game is great.

There are certain areas in the game where they just absolutely nailed the atmosphere. The fog works really well.

There's a huge feeling of "I'm the one who did that", instead of the developer creating a maze where there's only one way to solve it. At one point I circled around some cliffs and went somewhere I probably shouldn't have gone. It had
two chests guarded by a strong monster,
and I had just come up behind with my glider and bypassed everything to get to it.

Music and characters are great too. While the overworld and battle themes are pretty forgettable, character themes and cutscene themes are really awesome.

Honestly this is a game I cannot stop thinking about no matter what I do. I think I'm around 25 hours in, and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of anything.

I was asked to post this in spoiler tags though:

Regarding swimming,
I haven't found any way to dive at this point, but I do have the zora tunic. It allows you to swim faster and swim up waterfalls. And yes, that's just as amazing as it sounds.

Vena

So...

Ya, uh, the game's like really good.

/poormanwiiucopyfromtarget

I may push ahead my Switch buying schedule to soon rather than next year/holiday.

Xbro

Equipment is quite rare also. Been putting more than 20 hours in the game and I've yet to find anything to replace my initial shirt from the Chamber of Resurrection. Found out REALLY cool headgear and pants tho, their special buffs are quite useful. I look like a pirate, hehe.

The game isn't that difficult actually, you just have to find good DPS weapons. You also gotta think about how you use your weapons since the durability is affected on what you hit. You can't simply hit whatever with anything, enemies and destructible environments have some kind of "material type" (organic, steel, rock, etc.). Like you better hit a guardian with your sledgehammer even if it has lower DPS than your sword. Not only you will do more damage (or the same, depending on the sword's DPS), but your sword would break after few hits.

So far, I'd say if this game had Horizon's technical graphical level, it would have been an open-world/sandbox revolution. The game is simply amazing and even if I watched over 20 hours of videos and played 20 hours, I always find something new and exciting every 20 minutes or so.

I just went to the shop to buy new clothes.

ubiblu

Open your eyes is the best candidate for the OT. It doesn't have to be funny or witty I don't think. We've all waited for this damn game for years. Relief about th release is the feeling that is best evoked at this point.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Does anyone here know Japanese and could translate this image? It's what the Famitsu reviewers said about Zelda: BotW. I'd like a good quote for my Zelda thread tomorrow.

BxqCq52CYAEhIym.png

Can really no one translate this? i remember some guy doing it but he never returned...

I'm very excited for it too. A world and enemies that actually feels threatening is very exciting for me.

I don't think it'll be that difficult in the end once people actually understand the game and all the enemy group encounters (as well as their properties which the game doesn't tell you you have to figure that shit out on your own aside for the number) and stuff, especially since it's pause to heal. The amount of damage enemies can deal is absolutely disgusting though.

Then Again, the developers might have realized that and thus thought why not make the game even harder somehow?

Anth0ny

Wait, weren't you one of those guys that wanted exactly that?

I remember you from some Zelda should be like Dark Souls conversations.

Difficulty was the last thing from Dark Souls I wanted Zelda to take influence

But whatever I'll take it over babby difficulty any day

Top Bottom