• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Eh I really don't think so. Wouldn't be surprised if Horizon doesn't even break 1 mil. Both are going to be great games though.

Okay, let's not go that far. There's way too much hype and excitement regarding Horizon for it to do that poorly. It's not like its some super niche thing that only a small group of people care about, like Gravity Rush 2 or something.

Alrus

Is there not a horizon preview thread or something?

I'm not sure what constitute a spoiler for you but the Polygon one was pretty fun to watch imo. I think it shows a new monster that we hadn't seen before though.

Eh I really don't think so. Wouldn't be surprised if Horizon doesn't even break 1 mil. Both are going to be great games though.

No, that'd be a disaster. It's going to sell at least 4 millions by the end of the year, probably more. Sony is pushing it hard (as they should).

Couldn't agree more.

People have been going on and on about open world games for years. But every time I try to enjoy one, all I can think is how flat, empty, and boring the worlds are. They hold no candle to ancient games like Ultima 7, which had a wealth of interactivity.

absofuckinglutely this, the vast majority of open world games today are embarrassingly simple compared to Ultima 7

Basically Zelda>>Horizon.

I'd totally expect Horizon to be stronger on combat system (though I think Link's moveset is actually better put together because of the cancels and the paraglider) because of its awe inspiring enemy design, it wears the inspirations of Binary Domain and Dragon's Dogma on its Sleeve and that is undeniable. Those inspirations speak most clear to me personally and that's a very good thing to achieve especially since those enemies seem so fantastic.

Zelda seems to wear ideas from all over the industry on its belt going back years to classic PC RPGs to Thief Games to modern open world games, other classic Zelda games, the combat in particular gives me an action RE kinda vibe too.

Horizon is a focused concept done very very well.

Zelda is a broad concept executed very very well.

You can have preferences for either. Some people like something more focused. Zelda can't really do something like Nioh's combat for example as one previewer brought up. And some may wish for more gameplay variety in Horizon outside beating up machines and people.

It depends on the person playing.

Not sure if that has been posted before, but is this real? Phew.
1487986627172.png

this is going too far lol

jman2050

Most of the gaming press is going through the experience of playing Zelda directly after playing Horizon for the purpose of reviews, the comparisons are inevitable.

The timing is just too inviting.

Dystify

Zelda sales are an interesting topic though. It will really depend on Nintendo's marketing to see where it will go. I guess it's gonna sell consoles throughout the whole year, especially because of the DLC push (and eventually a new wave of amiibo?) it will get. Not gonna drop a random guess on how much it'll sell..

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
How did the guy measure the map if most of the areas were blocked off ?

Doesn't his estimate of "smaller than GTAV" seem off when "2x Skyrim" and "the starting area is just 1-2% of the World" have been quoted before?

Most of the gaming press is going through the experience of playing Zelda directly after playing Horizon for the purpose of reviews, the comparisons are inevitable.

Yep, it's Overwatch & Battleborn all over again. Except this time both games are good.

I'm going to see how long I can go without upgrading my Hearts and only upgrading Stamina. I have a totally unreasonable belief I will be able to hold my own in combat from the start and I do like stealthy games so I think I'll be able to use that to my advantage.

Have any of the previews mentioned just how much of an increase each Stamina level provides? 5-10%?

I was thinking the samething. Waiting awhile before investing in hearts will make me think more and play smarter while adding on stamina for better and longer combat combos and exploration (climbing and swimming).

Copper

Someone posted a video showing the green tunic as a amiibo unlock
. Video got taken down though. I wonder if they are limited on what item they are allowed to show.

Alrus

Both game being the biggest of their respective companies for the quarter and releasing nearly at the same time certainly doesn't help either.

atr0cious

I think Zelda could do 6-7 million between Wii U and switch
Wii u has a stupid good attach rate, so wouldn't be surprised. I agree with whoever said Horizon is the new tomb raider, which was a former PS exclusive, and will probably do similar sales to the NuRaider franchise on that system.

Zelda sales are an interesting topic though. It will really depend on Nintendo's marketing to see where it will go. I guess it's gonna sell consoles throughout the whole year, especially because of the DLC push (and eventually a new wave of amiibo?) it will get. Not gonna drop a random guess on how much it'll sell..

I'd say 5 million is the floor, assuming these previews translate into overwhelmingly positive reviews next week. This is the type of game Nintendo will be able to sell new Switch owners for years. And keeping the game in the general conversation later in the year with DLC was very, very smart.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I was thinking the samething. Waiting awhile before investing in hearts will make me think more and play smarter while adding on stamina for better and longer combat combos and exploration (climbing and swimming).

Yup, and there is cooking and sleeping at stables that provide you with temporary hearts too.

Astral Dog

I think Zelda could do 6-7 million between Wii U and switch
Wiiu sold 12 million a large portion of those people will be buying it either there or on switch, I'd say it could easily sell 10-15 million by this time next year

This the weird thing,that would be like the best selling Zelda by far.

Even Skyward Sword "only" sold like 2.5 millions on the Wii i can't imagine BoTW selling more than 3.5 on the Wii U unless the Switch was a huge success.

Don't get why some people have those expectations though i would like to eat crow on this

Are the Horizon comparisons combat related?

Because tbh, as someone hyped for both games (though for Zelda waaaaay more, 95+ MC believe!), I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take away from the point of comparison given how drastically different they are.

Screams more like lazy comparisons than else anything to me. "Oh, I don't know how to properly describe this game so let me bring up a recent title that shares little with it beyond the date and the open world aspect."

Like I get that it's a natural inclination to want to compare it at some level. But even from a gameplay perspective, that comparison does nothing for me.

If someone said Zelda had better combat than Horizon, I wouldn't even know what to take away from that given how different they are.

Sterok

Sounds like its easily better than Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess is a high bar, but not impossible. Ocarina of Time, now that will be tough. It'll really depend on how strong the puzzles and encounter design is as well as everything not being frustrating, which can be an issue with a big open world + survival elements.

Wiiu sold 12 million a large portion of those people will be buying it either there or on switch, I'd say it could easily sell 10-15 million by this time next year
That's a bit bold in my opinion.

Not even Twlilight Princess is that and it had the GameCube and Wii to help.

However maybe the DLC will help sales somewhat or a bundle

Sounds like its easily better than Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, and Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess is a high bar, but not impossible. Ocarina of Time, now that will be tough. It'll really depend on how strong the puzzles and encounter design is as well as everything not being frustrating, which can be an issue with a big open world + survival elements.

That's a really cute Mimikyu avatar.

Because tbh, as someone hyped for both games (though for Zelda waaaaay more, 95+ MC believe!), I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take away from the point of comparison given how drastically different they are.

Screams more like lazy comparisons than else anything to me. "Oh, I don't know how to properly describe this game so let me bring up a recent title that shares little with it beyond the date and the open world aspect."

Like I get that it's a natural inclination to want to compare it at some level. But even from a gameplay perspective, that comparison does nothing for me.

If someone said Zelda had better combat than Horizon, I wouldn't even know what to take away from that.

If you're talking about comparisons in general, people are just doing so because they're exclusives coming out at the same time, they're both open world, and both games feature a bow as a main weapon.

If you're talking about the Waypoint podcast I talked about earlier, he compares the overall approach to the open world genre that each game goes for, and Austin vastly prefers one approach over the other. It's actually a really interesting discussion to have, but only from people who have actually played both.

Instro

Let's keep in mind that SS managed 3-4 million on the Wii's huge install base. While I think this has a much wider appeal than Zelda has had in some time, it's still a series limited by the hardware it's on and its relatively complex mechanics.

TheFlow

Banned
whats the most fun but least spoilerish videos to watch?

If someone said Zelda had better combat than Horizon, I wouldn't even know what to take away from that.
Pretty much the combat just based on videos are completely different. They just happen to be open world and the users use bows.

Also how did we get to talking about horizon sales ina. A Zelda hype thread. Horizon is going to go past 2 million easily. So let's not worry about that

In all fairness, by the time Skyward Sword was released, the Wii was basically dead.

I also think there will generally be more excitement and better word of mouth regarding BOTW then there was with SS.

Astral Dog

This fun,but im almost sure this is going to be the best Zelda ever! (For me)

Of the 3D games only WW,MM and OoT are truly classics and the first two are definetly a bit outdated while the latter has a few glaring flaws.

The combat shacking,overworld exploring,voiceovers and soundtrack make BoTW very attractive for the top

Alrus

Even Skyward Sword "only" sold like 2.5 millions on the Wii i can't imagine BoTW selling more than 3.5 on the Wii U unless the Switch was a huge success.

Don't get why some people have those expectations though i would like to eat crow on this

Skyward Sword required a peripheral, came in rather late in the Wii's life and actually sold closer to 4 mil. It's one of the worst selling console Zelda and I think its sales are part of the reason we're getting such a big change with BoTW. Nintendo realized reusing the same formula over and over wasn't going to cut it. I would personally find 3,5m for BoTW to be a rather disappointing number.

What are you even talking about? Are you just making up numbers? Skyward Sword sold 3.93m as of early 2012...

LotusHD

Banned

If it's on the press' mind, then at least if we gonna do this comparison thing, it'll hopefully have a few decent reads lol

Nintendo needs to sell 2 Million units of BotW to recoup.

This game will have a 1:1 attach rate, so they are basically good from the get-go

Top Bottom