• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time since like 2008 and I'm running into the same problem now as I did then: the swamp area before the first dungeon is FUCKING MISERABLE. I hate it so much. I got past it and beat the game fine back in 2000, but in 2008 and now it's just so unbearable. I can't think of worse pre-dungeon area in the series (though Lanayru Desert from SS comes to mind).

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying myself! The opening sequence and exploring Clock Town was really fun, and this time I figured out how to slow time right away, which I never figured out in my 2008 attempt (which made things even more frustrating, I'm sure). I've been playing a ton of Zelda over the past 18 months, and it feels good to revisit MM. It's the only major Zelda game I've only beaten once. I love how creepy and weird the game is. Fantastic atmosphere.

Another thought: I would love to see the daily routine schedule / helping people out system to return in Zelda for Wii U. It would have to be reworked without being able turn back time, obviously, but they could just make people repeat their daily activities on each new day. It doesn't make sense in real world terms, but it's a game, so that's okay, lol.

Chinbo37

I was playing Twilight Princess and I had to post this.

You know that crazy bug girl who buys bugs from you? I went to her for the first time and traded a male ladybug and I got the big wallet. Mind you I had about 6 complete bug pairs at the time. I gave her the female lady bug as well and she gave me 100 rupies. It was nice but I didnt really need a lot of money at the time so I thought I would save the rest of my bug pairs for sale later.

As I was leaving the shop I wasnt really paying attention to the screen and I looked up just as Link was walking out and I noticed that she said to me as I was leaving -

"I know you have bugs".

LOL I was super creeped out because it happened so quickly I almost wasnt sure what i was reading. I mean she seemed a bit nutty about bugs but the statement seemed so homicidal in context lol. Sorry just had to share that with someone, it was hilarous and scary at the same time.

I can't think of worse pre-dungeon area in the series (though Lanayru Desert from SS comes to mind).

Boo_This_Man.gif

Skyward Sword's Lanayru Dessert area was amazing from gameplay (All of the pre-Lanayru Mining facility puzzle solving and obstacle clearing was awesome), and thematic (music, colors, architecture, lore, visual effects etc.) perspectives.
Also, I liked the non-dungeon mission objectives that Link was tasked with in the swamp better than I liked Woodfall's general design. That dungeon is so damn basic and boring that it makes OoT's Deku Tree Dungeon look like the Ancient Cistern.
:p

Edit: Tbh I kind of wish that MM didn't have dungeons at all; sans the Stone Tower Temple, they're not very well made for LoZ standards.
Everything interesting and unique in that game happens outside of them (investigative puzzles/sidequest), and that's what most people seem to love the game for.

Chinbo37

Updates. In Twilight Princess I just beat the desert dungeon. This was the exact point that I stopped playing hte game back in 2008. Its crazy that I barely remember anything about the game from back then, but I did remember this desert dungeon very well. I loved how the 4 poes looked. Very Edward Gorey-ish.

I am excited to power through and beat this game this time. The more I play the more it is climbing on my Zelda list. Great game.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be back, but there's no way I'm spoiling myself on this game, so nah. Plus I've barely participated in the thread before, lol.

So, ZeldaGAF, I've never played the Oracles*, but they're sitting in my 3DS. Do I play them concurrently, or do I finish one before linking them?

*I did actually play some OoS but I didn't finish it and it was so long ago that I'd rather just start over.

So, ZeldaGAF, I've never played the Oracles*, but they're sitting in my 3DS. Do I play them concurrently, or do I finish one before linking them?

*I did actually play some OoS but I didn't finish it and it was so long ago that I'd rather just start over.
Seasons - Ages is the Canon order. I prefer to finish one then the other. Linked endings make more sense that way.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Play one, finish it, link it, start and finish the other.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So, I just stumbled upon this...

the-dark-world-map__large.png

What is Ura Zelda, and what is its relation to this image? I assume this is fan made, but is it a scrapped idea?

zeldablue

I've never posted here before. :0

When I finally start up my Zelda Majora's Mask webcomic, I'm going to post it here. That's okay right? >__>

Haven't ever gone over to this side of GAF before, but I'm glad I found this thread.

With the upcoming release of MM3D, I've been fiending for some Zelda action. I decided I'd replay Twilight Princess, an entry in the series that I was never incredibly fond of. I figured I'd give it another pass and see how I like it now that it's not 2006 and I'm not flicking my wrist to swing a sword. I got the GCN rom, an HD texture pack, and loaded it up on Dolphin.

I always remember being sort of bored by the game, I just couldn't remember why I was bored. I do remember being disappointed with the plot formula, but I was always impressed by how large the world was and being able to teleport using the twilight zone things was always a lot of fun.

But with this most recent playthrough, I was very abruptly reminded why I got bored with it in 2006. The nonstop fetch quests before dungeons drives me insane. There is WAY too much pre-dungeon questing in this game. I'm all for exploring a town, doing a sub-dungeon, accessing a new part of the world to get an item, but this shit is just ridiculous. I legit had to stop playing at Kakariko Village after collecting all the light orbs in fear of what fetch quest or mandatory dialogue sequences would come next. 3-4 hours into the game and I've only done one temple. I just want to get to the damn dungeons!

I really wanted to give this game another chance as I know a lot of people love it, but I just can't get into it. The color palette also turns me off of the game, but that's really just on me. It's the same reason I can't play or watch Dota2. Too much brown, gray, black, etc. I was hoping to muscle through until the Temple of Time, as I LOVE that dungeon, but I'm probably never going to play this game again.

What are your guys thoughts on Twilight Princess? Does anyone else feel the same as me, or am I alone in this?

ibyea

Banned
Haven't ever gone over to this side of GAF before, but I'm glad I found this thread.

With the upcoming release of MM3D, I've been fiending for some Zelda action. I decided I'd replay Twilight Princess, an entry in the series that I was never incredibly fond of. I figured I'd give it another pass and see how I like it now that it's not 2006 and I'm not flicking my wrist to swing a sword. I got the GCN rom, an HD texture pack, and loaded it up on Dolphin.

I always remember being sort of bored by the game, I just couldn't remember why I was bored. I do remember being disappointed with the plot formula, but I was always impressed by how large the world was and being able to teleport using the twilight zone things was always a lot of fun.

But with this most recent playthrough, I was very abruptly reminded why I got bored with it in 2006. The nonstop fetch quests before dungeons drives me insane. There is WAY too much pre-dungeon questing in this game. I'm all for exploring a town, doing a sub-dungeon, accessing a new part of the world to get an item, but this shit is just ridiculous. I legit had to stop playing at Kakariko Village after collecting all the light orbs in fear of what fetch quest or mandatory dialogue sequences would come next. 3-4 hours into the game and I've only done one temple. I just want to get to the damn dungeons!

I really wanted to give this game another chance as I know a lot of people love it, but I just can't get into it. The color palette also turns me off of the game, but that's really just on me. It's the same reason I can't play or watch Dota2. Too much brown, gray, black, etc. I was hoping to muscle through until the Temple of Time, as I LOVE that dungeon, but I'm probably never going to play this game again.

What are your guys thoughts on Twilight Princess? Does anyone else feel the same as me, or am I alone in this?

I like the game. That said, I see where you are coming from. I dislike the tears of light and the skull kid labyrinth section. Not only that, I feel like the game's elements are disjointed. Certain items are way underused, the wolf and animal thing feels like a throwaway element, the story has great individual parts that as a whole it's just bad.

Kjellson

I forgot about this thread, I think I've written here before but it doesn't show up in my subscriptions so I though no one had posted here in years. Oh well.

I bought Oracle of Ages and Seasons just a few hours ago and am currently playing Ages for the first time. Man, that Thwomp boss in the second dungeon was the most annoying thing ever.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I forgot about this thread, I think I've written here before but it doesn't show up in my subscriptions so I though no one had posted here in years. Oh well.

I bought Oracle of Ages and Seasons just a few hours ago and am currently playing Ages for the first time. Man, that Thwomp boss in the second dungeon was the most annoying thing ever.
I'm about to start playing Oracles of Seasons again. I tried it last year, but for whatever reason, it didn't click after a couple hours. Time for a second shot at it!

And yeah, this thread is pretty dead...The main reason is that Zelda is popular to the point that there is a new thread on the series in the gaming side just about every single day. I guess it defeats the purpose of a community thread.

I'm about to start playing Oracles of Seasons again. I tried it last year, but for whatever reason, it didn't click after a couple hours. Time for a second shot at it!

When I first played OoS a while back, I didn't like it much at all and considered it the most boring Zelda I've ever played. I'm going to give it another go, probably in the summer.

What is Ura Zelda, and what is its relation to this image? I assume this is fan made, but is it a scrapped idea?

I'm pretty certain that concept comes from that canned Ura Zelda "restoration" fan project (as far as I know, almost nothing from Nintendo's original Ura Zelda has seen the light of day. A lot of it's ideas were most likely incorporated into the later games.); looks pretty neat though, I'd like to explore that world.

dedhead54

I am playing through OoT for the first time (OoT 3D, to be specific). I just did the bottom of the well mini-dungeon or whatever that counts as, and I guess the shadow temple is next. What an wonderful experience it has been so far. I cannot believe it plays so well, considering its age. And the music? Perfect. I have to send my N3DSXL to get repaired and I don't think I'll be able to finish it before then. Its going to be a long two weeks (hopefully less).

So should I play ALBW or Majora's Mask next? And then should I download some older games on VC?

TheMoon

Better play MM next.

Yes, it builds on the uncanny familiarity of the characters looking the same but living in a different place along with evolving the mechanics of OoT.

You'd get the same feeling/benefit if you manage to squeeze in ALTTP before playing ALBW, though sadly that's not available on 3DS.

CorvoSol

I know Hyrule Warriors "isn't canon" but I kind of hate that. Not because I care a lot about Zelda canon (a series with three separate timelines shouldn't need to declare a time traveling spin-off non-canon when said spin-off doesn't have to effect anything) but I really hate it because it makes finding HW info harder on Zelda Wiki.

I've picked up four Essences of Nature, so I'm about halfway through Oracle of Seasons at this point. I think I left off around dungeon six last time, but I barely remember anything. Previously I considered OoS astoundingly boring, which is why I didn't finish it, but I'm having more fun this time, for whatever reason.

It would have helped a lot if it was possible to map Start to the X button on the 3DS. I'm not sure why it isn't; the Y button functions as Select, and X is just sitting there doing nothing. Would have made the ridiculous amount of item switching a lot better.

And WTF at this game having a maximum of 14 hearts, judging by the space left. Even the first Zelda has 16.

I'm playing the Oracle games for the first time. Only at the 2nd Dungeon in Ages. It seems okay, at this rate it'll probably be my least favorite, but I do love Zelda games, so least favorite is still pretty good.

Holy fuck OoS is pissing me off right now. Several of the bosses and minibosses are just a pain in the ass and depend hugely on the luck of how they move around. I go out of my way to not rage at games, but I'll lose it if I feel they are just straight up being unfair, and I've never levied so many curses at a Zelda game as this. There's an important difference between "hard battle design" and "frustrating battle design" and this game is oblivious to the difference.

Edit: Naturally, as soon as I say this, I finally manage to kill that awful miniboss in dungeon 8. I feel like the RNG is the only reason I even won. Every previous attempt had him mauling me almost constantly for massive damage and a quick death. :|

ibyea

Banned
Holy fuck OoS is pissing me off right now. Several of the bosses and minibosses are just a pain in the ass and depend hugely on the luck of how they move around. I go out of my way to not rage at games, but I'll lose it if I feel they are just straight up being unfair, and I've never levied so many curses at a Zelda game as this. There's an important difference between "hard battle design" and "frustrating battle design" and this game is oblivious to the difference.

Edit: Naturally, as soon as I say this, I finally manage to kill that awful miniboss in dungeon 8. I feel like the RNG is the only reason I even won. Every previous attempt had him mauling me almost constantly for massive damage and a quick death. :|

That's weird, I don't particularly remember the bosses being unfair. Anyways, wait till you get to the final boss. It's straight up bullshit.

Mistle

If it's the boss I'm thinking of, were you picking up the icicles and throwing them at it?

If it's the boss I'm thinking of, were you picking up the icicles and throwing them at it?

Yeah I was; I don't think you can harm it otherwise. It just kept moving in exactly the right way to trap and kill me. And then the one time the RNG favoured me, I didn't even use my potion. Felt like I was playing a slot machine, not a boss.

I beat that boss on first try as a kid man, you're doing it wrong

OoS is legit
OoA is meh.

Seasons is the best Oracle game because Subrosia is way more fun than Ancient Labrynna.

If Seasons is better than Ages, I'm pretty fucked because I find Seasons to be the most boring Zelda I've ever played. I don't know why, but it just doesn't work for me much at all.

Ages is the only one I've never played in any capacity, and I'll be moving onto it afterward.

Ages is not bad, but compared to seasons I find the pacing much worse, and the time travel mechanics is a chore sometimes.

Feels like a bad ocarina of time somehow...

Mistle

I found the dungeons in OoA MUCH better than seasons. Really good puzzle solving. OoS puzzle solving is essentially killing enemies and pushing blocks.

Both games are good though.

CassSept

I played both games earlier last year and I think Ages aged pretty badly. A lot of mechanics are clunky and it has the worst segment in the series, worse than any of TP tears collection
Tokay Island for god's sake

And OoA doesn't have the roc's cape

Instead it has the boring two levels "hook shot" (whatever that was) and the two levels bracers (lazy item design)

I played both games earlier last year and I think Ages aged pretty badly. A lot of mechanics are clunky and it has the worst segment in the series, worse than any of TP tears collection
Tokay Island for god's sake

That's exactly where I am now, and it is a bit tedious. I decided to consult a guide so I didn't keep hitting roadblocks. I just want to get it over with.

Also, I remember at the time of initial release Ages was the one with better puzzles and Seasons was more action-oriented. They split people then and clearly continue to do so.

CorvoSol

If Seasons is better than Ages, I'm pretty fucked because I find Seasons to be the most boring Zelda I've ever played. I don't know why, but it just doesn't work for me much at all.

Ages is the only one I've never played in any capacity, and I'll be moving onto it afterward.

I dunno, man. I found the whole LA-OoA-OoS to be solid gold, so I guess it's just a taste thing.

I would so love to have a game with that world setting, even using the OOT 3D/MM 3D engine.

Looks so dark (no pun intended) lol.

Shion

I would so love to have a game with that world setting, even using the OOT 3D/MM 3D engine.

Looks so dark (no pun intended) lol.

Well, some people were working on a hack called "Zelda: 3rd Quest".

iiMzEG4.png

JsYKRmL.jpg

I don't know if the project is still alive, though.

Top Bottom