• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda Community Thread: Timelines, Retreads and Colors Oh My

balgajo

I will try to replay OOS and OOA again. By my standards 10 years ago OOA was the best game, but I really don't remember that much. And call me crazy, but somehow I don't like 2D Zelda dungeons that much. Usually I like them because of the overworld and the sidequests. Maybe that's why Minish Cap is my favorite 2d Zelda game.

ugly

Well, some people were working on a hack called "Zelda: 3rd Quest".

iiMzEG4.png

JsYKRmL.jpg

I don't know if the project is still alive, though.

Holy moly. Something about a huge environment in N64 graphics that circumvents the draw distance and memory limits of the actual system is awesome to me

TheMoon

Holy moly. Something about a huge environment in N64 graphics that circumvents the draw distance and memory limits of the actual system is awesome to me

It's the thing that happened only in our heads while playing N64 games now finally realized.

I really liked OoS and disliked OoA. Not really sure why though because I've always been more a puzzle guy than combat guy when it comes to Zelda. The entire swimming section in OoA does truly suck so that might be it.

Oxx

The release of Majora 3D merely convinced me to play the copy of Ocarina 3D I had been sitting on for a 1200 days.

I found the opening hours a bit dull - mainly due to overfamiliarity - but I appreciated the second part of the game even more during this play-through.

I'm not sure if I will go straight into MM. I have an almost-completed Spirit Tracks to be going on with.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm not sure if I will go straight into MM. I have an almost-completed Spirit Tracks to be going on with.

I'd continue with MM. Spirit Tracks disappointed me immensely. It's the only Zelda game I haven't finished so gar because (Spoiler final fight)
the microphone glitched on me during the final fight, and the game always timed out before I could manage to play the required tune. So frustrating.

Oxx

I literally stopped playing at the final boss many years ago. It might be tough to acclimatise to how the game plays at this point in the game.

I liked ST a lot more than PH.

The overworld theme in ST is so good.

Oxx

Admittedly I'm not the most skilful player at the best of times, and I'm attempting to relearn the controls six years after it came out... but I am having a miserable time with the last boss in Spirit Tracks

Edit: Managed it eventually. The last phase was pretty cool by comparison. Glad I got over the hump.

On to MM (maybe).

watershed

Banned
Well, some people were working on a hack called "Zelda: 3rd Quest".

iiMzEG4.png

JsYKRmL.jpg

I don't know if the project is still alive, though.

This is so cool looking. There's something very appealing about a large environment rendered in retro polygons and textures. I want to see an original Zelda game made on the 3ds OoT/MM engine for the 3ds. it could be so special.

fates

I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time on the 3DS.

Love the atmosphere and the environment.

Question though... is it normal to feel lost after becoming normal Link again? I'm basically exploring. Collected a few masks, but not sure where to go!

TheMoon

I'm playing Majora's Mask for the first time on the 3DS.

Love the atmosphere and the environment.

Question though... is it normal to feel lost after becoming normal Link again? I'm basically exploring. Collected a few masks, but not sure where to go!

You need to talk to people. They'll give you very strong hints where you should be going. Talk to everyone all the time. You need to "know" these people, the town and what's going on, and you find that out by regularly talking to them.

Volotaire

Are there any worthwhile NES LoZ 1 and 2 romhacks to play?

One that isn't a rom hack, but an unknown remake of Zelda 1. The first Zelda BS game, BS The Legend of Zelda by Nintendo for the BS-X Broadcasting System, remade the first game with 16 bit sprites and different dungeon and overworld maps.

Bszeldadungeon1.jpg

http://zeldawiki.org/BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda

Now, I would not advocate the legality of playing this abondonware. But people have managed to salvage the various BS games that were time limited broadcasts.

I didn't even know this thread existed! I'll be keeping an eye on this. Especially since I plan on replaying most of the games soon.

I just started replaying windwaker again, trying to get a 100% run but kind of don't want to do the figure hunt.

If you're playing WWHD, it's a lot easier. I wasn't going to do it again (did it on GC) but everyone was passing around the Tingle Bottles with rare pics in them so it became really easy. This was at release though, so I'm not sure what the environment is like now.

What are your guys thoughts on Twilight Princess? Does anyone else feel the same as me, or am I alone in this?

My absolute least favorite Zelda game, mainly for the fact that it tried nothing new and could never find proper or consistent pacing. The vast nothing of an overworld, the muted sounds, dull colors, the incredibly long startup, the unsatisfying wolf form, Epona, the lack of difficulty, the constant aping of OoT, making the combat techniques optional so that there's no reason to use them, the plot getting hijacked by Ganondorf with no payoff... the list just goes on and on.

I didn't even know this thread existed! I'll be keeping an eye on this. Especially since I plan on replaying most of the games soon.

If you're playing WWHD, it's a lot easier. I wasn't going to do it again (did it on GC) but everyone was passing around the Tingle Bottles with rare pics in them so it became really easy. This was at release though, so I'm not sure what the environment is like now.

My absolute least favorite Zelda game, mainly for the fact that it tried nothing new and could never find proper or consistent pacing. The vast nothing of an overworld, the muted sounds, dull colors, the incredibly long startup, the unsatisfying wolf form, Epona, the lack of difficulty, the constant aping of OoT, making the combat techniques optional so that there's no reason to use them, the plot getting hijacked by Ganondorf with no payoff... the list just goes on and on.

I loved TP in the end (one of the only Zelda's I finished, tho it took two years lol), but this critique really is spot on...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
People don't like Ganondorf in TP because they feel that's why Zant went crazy after being shown to look serious and cool in the beginning. Truth is 1. he was always crazy 2. his crazy persona was far more interesting then the generic dark bad guy one.

Also on a replay, knowing Ganondorf is in this makes it feel far less of a hijacking. Only bad thing is that it isn't exactly an original plot device, but not being original is kind of the flaw with a lot of TP.

However, I still really enjoy it, including that overworld.

I loved TP in the end (one of the only Zelda's I finished, tho it took two years lol), but this critique really is spot on...

Sometimes I feel like I'm too hard on TP, and it really is so far from being a bad game (I've played every Zelda except Four Sword, and I don't think one of them is a game I could call actually "bad"). It's just that I'm forced to compare it to the other Zeldas, many of which are genre-defining or at least platform-defining, and it just falls short in ways that the others do not. The others have issues; I find that TP's are either more numerous or more detrimental, particularly when it comes to creativity.

EDIT:
People don't like Ganondorf in TP because they feel that's why Zant went crazy after being shown to look serious and cool in the beginning. Truth is 1. he was always crazy 2. his crazy persona was far more interesting then the generic dark bad guy one.

Also on a replay, knowing Ganondorf is in this makes it feel far less of a hijacking. Only bad thing is that it isn't exactly an original plot device, but not being original is kind of the flaw with a lot of TP.

However, I still really enjoy it, including that overworld.

I find that I'm one of the few who don't mind Zant's turn for the insane. I think the game should have ended with that Zant battle, and that everything afterwards was a cop-out. Ganondorf's function in TP was interesting and appropriate right up until you need to go to Hyrule Castle. The fact that the final dungeon itself was mediocre and very anti-climactic in mood didn't help either. I think the game would have been much better if that final bit was just removed outright. Ganondorf at that point didn't fit in with the themes or plot nearly as well as Zant, so it feels like they threw him in there out of some sort of obligation. If they made Zant have more forms (I mean extending the confrontation past where the fight ends) and delving further into his insanity through more rounds of battle and maybe had him morph into something else completely, it could have been an opportunity to make the end of the game feel more justified or immediate. Also I couldn't take anything Ganondorf said seriously with that ridiculous hair style/ornament thing he had going on, but I admit that's completely just about my personal tastes.

CassSept

Yeah, Hyrule Castle was a disappointment. You approach the dungeon and it's this huge castle, with a beautiful rendition of ALttP Castle theme... yet mechanically, it's subpar. Ganondorf felt forced and uninteresting compared to his TWW persona. The final fight was epic in scope but it was too easy and the horseback part was more annoying rather than challenging.

I came around to TP on second playthrough, but it's still my least favorite entry in 3D Zelda series. It's just too bloated for it's own good, which doesn't change the fact that it's a terrific game.

The negative reaction immediately following TP release is mostly due to insane hype and unrealistic expectations. Two and a half years of hype did it's work and people expected BEST, PERFECTEST GAME EVER, anything else would have been a disappointment. Zant was drummed up to be the next great Zelda villain and what happened to him was a massive downgrade (not necessarily him turning out to be crazy, rather just being merely Ganondorf's pawn).

The negative reaction immediately following TP release is mostly due to insane hype and unrealistic expectations. Two and a half years of hype did it's work and people expected BEST, PERFECTEST GAME EVER, anything else would have been a disappointment. Zant was drummed up to be the next great Zelda villain and what happened to him was a massive downgrade (not necessarily him turning out to be crazy, rather just being merely Ganondorf's pawn).

Amusingly, I loved it when it first came out. Played through it a second time, and it was still good. But it was with subsequent playthroughs where the flaws really started jumping out. As opposed to Majora's Mask, where I still can get something new out of a playthrough every time I go through it. TP was one of the very few Zeldas that got worse the more I went back to it, to the point that when I am going to go ahead and marathon most of the Zelda games fairly soon, I'm going to leave off TP entirely. I even plan on doing SS again to see if I can have a fresh take on it - I already know that I'll get nothing new out of TP, and that it will only feel more bogged down than it did on my latest playthrough.

Ganondorf doesn't come out of nowhere like people say though. He was teased fairly early in the game.

It's not that he appears out of nowhere. It's that he doesn't fit very well after Zant. It's a focus shift that doesn't take the plot anywhere new (hence feeling "tacked on"), doesn't fit with the themes of falsehood, unexpected circumstances, or duality. He doesn't add anything to Link or Midna's roles or their characters. He fits perfectly with those parts through most of the game, right up until Hyrule Castle. That's why it feels unnecessary and hijacked. The themes and plotlines were consistent up until that point, but then the game just throws it out the window to give us a finale that's expected, but doesn't really fit in with the rest of the game.

Compare that to Skyward Sword. Demise's last minute introduction fits with the rest of the game. He plays into the themes of Master/Servant, primacy, foils (Demise w/ Hylia), and purity (a purity of evil, but still in line). Now, I think there were other mistakes as far as Demise is concerned, but the ending doesn't feel tacked on because it fits with what the rest of the game was trying to accomplish. He feels like a proper extension, advances the plot, informs Link's, Zelda's, Fi's, and Ghirahim's characters, and successfully carries the themes of the game. The fight could have been better, the lead-up to the fight was strange, and I have gripes with his look and his "gift-wrapping the future Zelda plots" speech at the end, but at least Demise and the fight against him makes sense within the context of the game. TP's Hyrule Castle and Ganondorf fight has none of that going for it.

Just have to come here to say: TP is the best Zelda. Thanks for your attention.

But to make it clear: yeah, the beginning was painful long and boring but after that it gets better and better. TP has some of the best dungeons of all Zeldas, has the best design from the characters to the evironment, great music, nice story which gets -sadly- very stupid at the end and, what makes the game really special, it has the best sidekick with Midna.
You can say that the game was hugly inspired by lord of the rings when you look at the creatures or the world but i thougjt they nailed the look and the atmosphere. Its a really special game, not perfect, but really wonderful and not as bad as the Zelda fans make it. (For whatever reason...)

Dad

Okay Zelda GAF, I've beaten all of the 3D games but only ALBW in the 2D department. What should i tackle first?

maxcriden

Yo, guys. When does Twilight Princess get good? I played it back in 2006 on GCN but it's a bit of a blur at this point. I remember enjoying it but I don't think I loved it. But I appreciate diverse mechanics in Zelda games in general more now than I did then.

Anyway, my wife and I are playing the game and we've gone through Zora's Domain and it's okay so far. The first couple dungeons weren't really remarkable...I don't really like walking upside down in games. It was also quite a slog to get to the first dungeon at least. I say this as someone who is pretty forgiving of Zelda game's perceived flaws. Shrug, so, I dunno. Will the game get considerably better in terms of compelling-ness and dungeon design, et al.?

(Also, the Twilight Realm stuff is a little rough on the eyes. Are we almost done with that being such a significant visual part of the game, since we cleared out I think most of the twilight?)

TheMoon

Yo, guys. When does Twilight Princess get good? I played it back in 2006 on GCN but it's a bit of a blur at this point. I remember enjoying it but I don't think I loved it. But I appreciate diverse mechanics in Zelda games in general more now than I did then.

Anyway, my wife and I are playing the game and we've gone through Zora's Domain and it's okay so far. The first couple dungeons weren't really remarkable...I don't really like walking upside down in games. It was also quite a slog to get to the first dungeon at least. I say this as someone who is pretty forgiving of Zelda game's perceived flaws. Shrug, so, I dunno. Will the game get considerably better in terms of compelling-ness and dungeon design, et al.?

(Also, the Twilight Realm stuff is a little rough on the eyes. Are we almost done with that being such a significant visual part of the game, since we cleared out I think most of the twilight?)

Yes you're almost done with the Twilight Realm, though I believe the end-part features that filter again. Your next stop is the cool desert temple where you get one of the coolest items in the game and then there's the sky dungeon. Cool stuff coming up.

maxcriden

Yes you're almost done with the Twilight Realm, though I believe the end-part features that filter again. Your next stop is the cool desert temple where you get one of the coolest items in the game and then there's the sky dungeon. Cool stuff coming up.

That all sounds a lot more exciting. Appreciate the info very much. Thank you!

Just want to add that dungeon 5 is super awesome. The back half of the dungeons are a lot better than 1-3, which were all pretty generic.

Dad

Every dungeon between where you are and the last dungeon of the game are hands down some of the best dungeons in the entire series.

I recently started Twilight Princess again from the start. The previous time I played it past the opening was when I got it in 2009, and I got stuck that time on the first Goron which ended that playthrough. I got back to that place today,
and it turns out that retreating is what progresses the game. I must have always quit out of the game or get a game over. The game should have communicated that it wasn't possible at that point instead of it looking like I had bad timing and Midna just telling me to keep going that way.
:(

Yousefb

Guys, I usually prefer the 3D Zeldas. I've tried the 2D ones before but I never really got into them. The only one i really love is ALBW. But now I got a Zelda itch and I want to give the 2D games another shot. I see that ALttP and MINISH CAP are on the eshop. Which should I get?

Guys, I usually prefer the 3D Zeldas. I've tried the 2D ones before but I never really got into them. The only one i really love is ALBW. But now I got a Zelda itch and I want to give the 2D games another shot. I see that ALttP and MINISH CAP are on the eshop. Which should I get?

Both. They're a little different in style, and both are solid games. LttP is generally considered better though, if you must get only one. Personally I find LttP to be better overall, but MC to be more charming.

TheMoon

Obvious choice is ALTTP if you loved ALBW so much.

Ōkami

Ōkami;182405033 said:
Alright, so on the upcoming issue of Famitsu there's an article (or whatever) about Zelda Triforce Heroes, neat-o, right?

On the famitsu website they mention how, well they'll talk about the game obviously, but also interviews mainly with Hiromasa, the director of the game, but what I find interesting is they also mention an interview with Aonuma, and here is the actual interesting part.

From what I read Aonuma is going to talk about the WiiU version of Zelda and it's development state, along with some sort of 30th anniversary plans.

Now, I wouldn't consider this threadworthy because Aonuma is likely to just say "It's going well" still whatever he might say could be interesting.

I didn't know where else to post this, the Zelda community thread is rather dead and I explain the reasoning as to why I wouldn't make a thread.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201510/20091062.html

Take this for what you will.

EDIT: Aonuma will talk about development of the 3DS game, later the famitsu writer ads that the WiiU version is in currently in development, not that Aonuma will talk about it.

Sorry!

I must have watched that e3 clip of Zelda U a hundred times last year, but I didn't realize until today that the robot is actually damaged before Link ever sets into it. One of its legs is half torn off. Maybe it's out for revenge, what with the way it chases Link down.

I also didn't realize that the bomb arrows were aimed at its arms rather than the sides of its head, but that's less important.

I've been playing Ocarina of Time on 3DS and Navi is worse than I remember. She keeps giving me info when it's useless. "Hey should we go to Kakariko village to get that item?" Well I'm standing in the middle of the town, so...yes?

TheMoon

I've been playing Ocarina of Time on 3DS and Navi is worse than I remember. She keeps giving me info when it's useless. "Hey should we go to Kakariko village to get that item?" Well I'm standing in the middle of the town, so...yes?

You mean "no" because you're already there. :)

Top Bottom