• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time REALLY the best game of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jindrax

EDIT: none of this was srs, you were part of an experiment, check this out.

The game was for many gamers of the generation about 18-25 atm their first taste of zelda, being released in 1998. I myself was only 3 when it came out, and spent many many hours of my childhood playing the crap out of that game. It also transitioned the zelda series, born and perfected in the 2D top-down style, into 3D with incredible ease.

What do ya know about it? What I know about it is that it's the best Zelda game, the highest reviewed game of all time with a Metacritic score of 99/100, and many critics hail it as the best game of all time. In my case, I don't think it's the best game of all time, but it is one of the top 10 greatest games of all time. Sure, were in the midst of new console launches and just got our hands on sequels to the two biggest franchises in the Nintendo pantheon, but those arent the only reasons to be excited as a gamer right now: its also been 15 years since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time made its debut on the Nintendo 64. Thats right--15 years. Thats more than twice as long as Link slept while Ganondorf rebuilt Hyrule in his image. And what a result. The technical legacy of Ocarina is clear. As one of the first 3D adventure games, Ocarina introduced many aspects that would become staples of the genre. The lock-on “Z-targeting” and the context sensitive actions chief among the innovations that would inform the genre. Ocarina is held in such high esteem that it is easy to forget just how ground-breaking the nuts and bolts of the game were, and how accomplished they remain, even over a decade later.

That being said, the game does have some mechanical flaws, which egoraptor details here in an excellent analysis. Most of the fans who tout its greatness however do so more based off the memories and emotional feelings evoked from them during the game, which Really Freakin' Clever does a fantastic job of discussing. While perhaps not the best game of all time, it was and incredible game when it was released, and shaped the future of the zelda series and 3D gaming in general forever. None of this is actually serious, I'm running an experiment thread to see how many people read the OP before posting in a thread. If you read through the OP and saw this please work in the number 7 in your reply to distinguish yourself, thanks.

Personally, I think that the best game of all time is Super Metroid. Do you think OoT is the best game of all time, or are you like me, another person who thinks differently about what is the best game ever made? In that case, please let me know. Thanks!

I think Chrono Trigger is the greatest game ever made, but there's certainly a case to be made for Ocarina of Time. There really was nothing even close to like it back when it came out and it set the standard for so many 3D action/adventure games that would come after it. It's not hard to see why it's somewhat widely regarded as the best or one of the best.

oni-link

I think the title "best game of all time" is arbitrary, and subjective anyway, so it's not really a debate you'll find a high level of discourse around

It's a great game, as is Super Metroid, but there are a lot of great games

Edit: For example, a lot of people will list games in this thread, and all with have flaws

Tetris is as close to a perfect game that has arguably ever been made, it will have fewer flaws than every other game listed, but does that make it the "best game of all time"?

aadiboy

It's revolutionary and iconic and a good game, but I don't think it's greatest of all time like everyone thinks it is.

Completely agreed OP. There are other masterpieces (Super Metroid and Super Mario World to name a few) but OoT still remains quite literally the best game of all time/ever made in my opinion.

I'm hoping breath of the wild can surpass it or at least meet the OoT gold standard.

While it differs from person to person, Ocarina was revolutionary for its time and has an incredible atmosphere.

At the time, there really wasn't anything else like it on consoles. It still holds up well to this day and for me it's still the best game ever created.

vern

Great game, but not sure how an 18 year old now likely had his first taste of Zelda with this game. He'd have been about 0 when it released.

Best game ever is super metroid.

batrush

It's not even a candidate, hundreds of better games out there. Played it recently on 3DS, pretty baffled by the praise some folks give it.

I also agree, I play it every couple of months on either 3DS or N64. Nothing has surpassed it. Other Zelda's have come close and games like Super Metroid, Resident Evil 4 and Final Fantasy 7 are also great choices for the title but for me I can't see any game taking this prestige away from Ocarina of Time. Maybe The Last Guardian or Breath of the Wild, we'll see.

I think Chrono Trigger is the greatest game ever made, but there's certainly a case to be made for Ocarina of Time. There really was nothing even close to like it back when it came out and it set the standard for so many 3D action/adventure games that would come after it. It's not hard to see why it's somewhat widely regarded as the best or one of the best.

Yeah Chrono trigger is timeless while OoT has some elements that haven't aged well like the big empty Hyrule Field. Obviously in 97/98 when it was new that shit was mind blowing, now its just needlessly big and empty.

vern

It's not even a candidate, hundreds of better games out there. Played it recently on 3DS, pretty baffled by the praise some folks give it.

You should have played it when it first came out. It's still awesome but doesn't hold up entirely these days.

It is. The closest to timeless perfection a game has gotten until this day. I personally like Majora's Mask more but OOT is the better game.

Not sure if it's the best game ever (I could probably never choose) but it's the best Zelda game ever, and won't be topped in the franchise.

It's the perfection of that formula.

DarkTom

Perfect Dark is my favorite but OoT is easily in my top 7.

The most perfect game I've played is probably Super Mario Bros 3, but if I think about the ambition, the legacy, that indescribable magic, etc, I think OoT deserves that spot of "best game of all time".

You should have played it when it first came out. It's still awesome but doesn't hold up entirely these days.
I don't think it has anything to do with when you played it. I first tried it right before the Wii came out in anticipation for Twilight Princess and I felt every other game from the PS2 era paled in comparison. Ocarina of Time just nails everything, the pacing, the tone, the puzzles, the story. Stepping out of The Temple of Time and seeing the happy Castle Town turn into a Wasteland rivals Simba returning to the Pride Lands in The Lion King.

The only fault I can really give it is it's lackluster performance but that hardly matters once you've become adjusted to it, or you can just play the 3DS version.

At the time, there really wasn't anything else like it on consoles.

That's why I consider it a better game than Majora's Mask. It had to create all of these systems, and established the camera and targeting system that is STILL standard in many games today. Majora's Mask built on that foundation brilliantly, but Ocarina will always be my favourite Zelda game (closely followed by Wind Waker) for the industry-breaking groundwork it put in.

That's a preference thing though, and why I'll always defend games like the original Assassin's Creed, FFVIII, and Vagrant Story. I just really value games that try pushing the industry forwards with new ideas, more than their sequels that refine elements into a polished package. Doesn't mean I necessarily enjoy them more - I just think more highly of them and the impact they have.

McNagah

It's definitely a great game but I wouldn't say that it is the best zelda game. Majoras Mask is definitely one of the best.

Majora's Mask is a fine game for it's world building but the dungeon design left something to be desired. It felt like a less focused Ocarina of Time but it went different places and that's why I think people give it so much credit. They could have easily made a safe sequel in Hyrule but instead we had a weird kooky world that felt like a dream. Majora's Mask still has some of the best side quests to ever grace a video game but I can't agree with those saying it's better than Ocarina of Time.

vern

I don't think it has anything to do with when you played it. I first tried it right before the Wii came out in anticipation for Twilight Princess and I felt every other game from the PS2 era paled in comparison. Ocarina of Time just nails everything, the pacing, the tone, the puzzles, the story. Stepping out of The Temple of Time and seeing the happy Castle Town turn into a Wasteland rivals Simba returning to the Pride Lands in The Lion King.

The only fault I can really give it is it's lackluster performance but that hardly matters once you've become adjusted to it, or you can just play the 3DS version.

It's still great, I'm not saying otherwise. At the time it was mindblowing, wholly original and creative with its puzzles and dungeon design and everything you mentioned. Technically it's been surpassed obviously by now, and it's flaws are much more apparent now too (performance being one that you mentioned).

Games like Super Metroid and Link to the Past hold up much better and I think have a better claim to best game of all time.

ubiblu

OoT was my fav game of all-time for almost 10 years, but after almost a dozen playthroughs I just sort of got over it.

And then I discovered Okami.

And another 10 years later, Persona 5.

Yagharek

Ocarina is very special but NO. It's not the best game of all time.

There's no such thing as "the best game of all time" ...

It's a timeless classic, regardless if it is the best of all time or not.

... but it is indeed a timeless classic.

I played and finished it for the first time a few years ago on 3DS. It is still eminently playable, the atmosphere is top class especially that first time you enter the Deku Tree (and at the bottom of the well) and the crescendo is phenomenal.

It's one of the very, very best examples of the medium. But other games deserve consideration as well.
Except no mans sky because thats pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom