• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

Rich!

Either way, it looks like those ZI 'leaks' were bullshit.

First dungeon an ice one? No. It's obviously a fire dungeon, going by the demo.

Actually I think we're going to get yet another treetrunk dungeon as the opening dungeon >_<

I joked about it a few days ago, but, here we are.

Meesh

GeneralIroh said:
miniblin.png
See, now those guys were creepy little bastards...I hated running into them...especially in the dark...

I like the graphics. I don't see how anyone couldn't like them, but then again, some people thought TP was a bad game...

I'm glad it looks like a real Zelda game and as if they didn't water it down for non-gamers. Great news all around!

In this Zelda, Link is a little boy born into a land above the clouds called Skyloft.

Awesome. Kind of a pointless hope, but it would be cool if the sky stuff from Twilight Princess made an appearance, that was my favorite part of the game, the dungeon being my favorite Zelda dungeon ever.

More from roundtable:

Posted 6:44 PST
One day, he learns there is a land below the clouds ruled by evil forces.

Quote:
Posted 6:46 PST
However, the revelation prompts a series of events which forces him to go to the land beneath the clouds.

Quote:
The reason he goes down is in the title--it's the Skyward Sword

Quote:
The sword possesses intelligence, and will assume the semi-human form in the teaser poster shown last year.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Miyamoto (Paraphrased) said:
For the most part, we're in the final stretch. We still have some dungeons to create, but the gameplay is solid. We're just not confident that we can get the final pieces in for this year. So that's why we revealed a 2011 release.
This sounds like they really were just saying 2011 to be safe. Slim sliver of a chance it could still hit holiday 2010, but I doubt it. I'm almost sure it'll be like Q1 2011 though.

The_Technomancer said:
This sounds like they really were just saying 2011 to be safe. Slim sliver of a chance it could still hit holiday 2010, but I doubt it. I'm almost sure it'll be like Q1 2011 though.

Yeah I'm starting to backpedal on my November guess. More like March or April probably.

The style of this game is great. Adult Link + Wind Waker, we're getting the best of both worlds.

The concept of using motion controls is neat, I like the idea of having to hit in specific areas, and actually being able to get around enemy guarding.

The controls in the demo were poor, sure, but I feel it's fairly obvious something was going on. Anyone who thinks Nintendo would release a Zelda with broken controls is insane. Just about as insane as the people hating on the look.

I absolutely love what I've seen and heard of this game so far.

Sometimes you make me so angry GAF. Why do you do this?

grkazan12

Anonymous Tipster said:
The style of this game is great. Adult Link + Wind Waker, we're getting the best of both worlds.

The concept of using motion controls is neat, I like the idea of having to hit in specific areas, and actually being able to get around enemy guarding.

The controls in the demo were poor, sure, but I feel it's fairly obvious something was going on. Anyone who thinks Nintendo would release a Zelda with broken controls is insane. Just about as insane as the people hating on the look.

I absolutely love what I've seen and head of this game so far.

What the fuck, GAF. What the fuck.
QFT so far this looks to be another solid zelda title, everything else seems to be in place hopefully they can nail down an awesome but different story,world,dungeons, and setting.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't know how anyone can dislike the graphics in this game, it is a perfect marriage between WW and TP's art style and graphics. In short:

uMrSM.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Really, the art style has very little relation to how Wind Waker looked. It's a unique form of cel-shading creating a completely unique stand alone style that shares little in common with WW.

I think this art style looks amazing too, but I still think Wind Waker's art style is incredible and hope that is later explored again too (on competent platforms with decent power, sorry DS)

Evilink said:
See, now those guys were creepy little bastards...I hated running into them...especially in the dark...
Creepy? :lol :lol :lol :lol
They were the most obnoxious pest in the game. They even sounded like teletubbies.

I agree about the treetops looking flat and kind of crappy (well, compared to, say, Mario Galaxy). Otherwise I see no problems with the graphics. The game looks great overall. And they have about a year, so I'm sure the trees will look more lush by the time it comes out.

"BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE [OOT/MM/WW/TP] SO I AM VERY UPSET. WHAT THE FUCK, NINTENDO? HOW DARE YOU NOT MAKE EVERY ZELDA GAME LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME TO SUIT MY PREFERENCES!? THIS IS BULLSHIT!!"

The haters are a bunch of whiners.

The Technomancer

Anonymous Tipster said:

11c8guu.gif

jett

D-Member
I think this looks excellent, especially those bullshots at IGN. But in motion too, the animation is really nice. Was anyone else reminded of AssCreed with the sprinting+climbing move? :p

Tideas

Banned
making it cell-shaded seems kinda cheap way to go. it's like they're saying, oh, we don't have enough horse power to give it realistic graphics, so we'll jsut make it cell-shaded, and everybody would eat it up.

The Technomancer

Tideas said:
making it cell-shaded seems kinda cheap way to go. it's like they're saying, oh, we don't have enough horse power to give it realistic graphics, so we'll jsut make it cell-shaded, and everybody would eat it up.
...wat?

Tideas said:

No.

snesfreak

Banned
Tideas said:
what?

jett said:
I think this looks excellent, especially those bullshots at IGN. But in motion too, the animation is really nice. Was anyone else reminded of AssCreed with the sprinting+climbing move? :p

I thought I was the only one :lol

Tideas said:

Yeah, that's exactly what it's saying. Look, I don't want to sit here and endlessly support it, but if that's what you really think, you've got bigger problems.

Is cell-shading a way to get around graphical limitations of a system? Sure, maybe?

Does that make it a bad thing? No.

snesfreak

Banned
From the roundtable
7:06: Will Zelda have orchestral music and/or voice acting?
We can't do what we did in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and not move forward and do the same thing in Zelda. We have people on staff looking forward to getting to work on that.

Me likey!

Taichu

I'm disappointed with the style of the game. Nintendo set certain expectations with the original piece of art they unveiled. Giant, colorful mushrooms didn't come to mind when I saw it. Damn you Wind Waker!!

Hopefully they make up for the style with decent dungeons. I'm still on board for Zelda Wii, but I'm getting a Spirit Tracks/Phantom Hourglass vibe... =(

I love the art style. It's very bright and colorful, and the game looks extremely polished. If Wind Waker and Twilight Princess had a kid, it would probably look like Skyward Sword. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted. I love the whip, I love the prospect of using bombs like bowling balls, and I love the swordplay. I'm certainly on board.

LOCK

lol at people that really expected or thought that Nintendo actually would go on stage with Zelda and have wonky controls. You could see the frustration on Miyamoto's face.

I love the art style, and because of that it will be timeless just like WW which is the second best Zelda so....:D

Dear god. These gameplay videos kick so much ass. I'm starting to think that they should have just shown the trailer with more gameplay footage like this instead of trying an on-stage demo.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
Really, the art style has very little relation to how Wind Waker looked. It's a unique form of cel-shading creating a completely unique stand alone style that shares little in common with WW.

I think this art style looks amazing too, but I still think Wind Waker's art style is incredible and hope that is later explored again too (on competent platforms with decent power, sorry DS)
This.

So far the style looks good, and its a big upgrade over TP style wise, but there is no Wind Waker lineage here. Just watch the bomb clouds for evidence of this.

poof of dust =/= stylized "wood cutout" smoke plumes swirling

TEJ

Tideas said:

I thought that it takes up quite a bit of processing power for cel shading.

Am I wrong?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Okay, so I just got back from work. And holy crap, this trailer... I cried tears of joy. Not quite but god damn it does it look amazing. Don't know why you guys are complaining so much. It's Nintendo, they'll iron the kinks out before releasing it.

Twig

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
Creepy? :lol :lol :lol :lol
They were the most obnoxious pest in the game. They even sounded like teletubbies.
man you sure to like to cry about wind waker

grow up babby

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anonymous Tipster said:
The style of this game is great.

QFMT.
Although I definitely expected more of a depart from the 'ole Zeldas, I love the idea behind the controls and the visuals they've gone fore.

Most people are just attention whores or love to hate for the sake of it or the hivemind.
Or they could really and honestly, don't like it stat. That'd be better although that'd mean they have no sense of style or artistisc sensibility whatsoever. :p

Door2Dawn

Banned
Jangaroo said:
Okay, so I just got back from work. And holy crap, this trailer... I cried tears of joy. Not quite but god damn it does it look amazing. Don't know why you guys are complaining so much. It's Nintendo, they'll iron the kinks out before releasing it.
What kinks? :lol

Tideas said:
Why would anyone want dark and muddy when we could have bright and beautiful?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
There better be a variety of locations with design to fit the mood. The day-glo mushrooms aren't doing anything for me.

GCNemesis

Quick thoughts on the Zelda gameplay footage from GameTrailers:

• One hit from the Scorpion Boss takes away one whole heart as opposed to a quarter of one. Did not see whether damage taken from regular enemies is similar.
  • Boss takes a considerable beating. Nice to see and it makes sense now that weakspots on bosses (at least this one) are always vulnerable.
  • Link has six hearts. If this demo takes place in the actual storyline, then I assume this would make it the third 'dungeon' (or so). EDIT: I now see Link has the Master Sword, so I'm guessing this point has no relevance.

General thoughts on the game:
  • Really enjoy the graphic choice. Was dreading if this looked like Twilight Princess, it was a nice surprise.
  • Traveling between the sky to the land below you say? I recall an interview regarding an air travel mechanic (Aonuma's son?) for this game. I wonder if the Skyward Sword/Fairy will act as the transportation device similar to the boat in Wind Waker...
  • Also glad the dungeons and bosses are said to be integrated better and made more ambiguous. Definitely helps shake up the structure of the game.
  • Orchestrated music for the final release is a big plus.
  • Can't wait to see more varied locales in this art style.

Also, on the Nintendo's E3 site, the tagline for Skyward Sword is : 'A Link to the Future'. Wonder if that has anything to do with the story...

Top Bottom