• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

Boney

Banned
Bitmap Frogs said:
To be honest, the unveiling was rather disappointing. All we got is a bland forest area with generic enemies. Had they had an epic trailer things might have been different...

By the way, the fact they do have a bland forest area makes me nervous about the rest of the game... TP was pretty meh in that regard.
TP had great locations. Say what you want about it being a boring overwolrd with nothing to do, but it was beautiful.
Zora's Domain <3

AniHawk

EmCeeGramr said:
Not to be curt Anihawk but... I think "teaching people how to use the controls" was the point of a showfloor demo about a game with a new control scheme.

and that's not a bad thing at all. i PERSONALLY would have LOVED to have seen like a dungeon or something, but my real beef with the demo was how unresponsive and problematic the controls were.

unifin

AniHawk said:
how unresponsive and problematic the controls were.

Not to be rude but that's hardly a consensus opinion. From the hands-on that I've read, people were really happy with the controls, especially the swordplay, in fact.

Boney

Banned
Are the conflicting reports of the controls based on bad calibration or wonky control schemes?

Thunder Monkey said:
But I have more faith in Anihawk then I do the gaming media so now I'm kind of worried.
Yeah me too.

AniHawk

Boney said:
Controls worked really well here.

I remember you also had problems with Red Steel 2 right? How do they compare?
Your main problems are that you can't experience Zelda like it is (dungeons, puzzles, combat and scenarios) and this is only a little playground to fool around. So core mechanics apart from off shield bashing. How'd you like the bow?

i completely forgot about the fucking bow and arrow and i realized it only when the demo clicked off. :\

I'd say zelda > red steel 2, just because nintendo paced their demo out better. there were many times where i thought i was doing a horizontal slash and it wouldn't work though. that stuff bugged me the most.

unifin said:
Not to be rude but that's hardly a consensus opinion. From the hands-on that I've read, people were really happy with the controls, especially the swordplay, in fact.

You know, I'm sure it's going to be fine with time. I find I can adapt pretty easily to different control schemes, but some stuff, like holding b to access the menu while pressing b to use an item seemed like a dumb idea.

it could have been something with the calibration.

look: i LOVE zelda games. so i don't want to dislike parts and pieces of them, but i'm not going to lie about what i experienced either.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
i completely forgot about the fucking bow and arrow and i realized it only when the demo clicked off. :\

I'd say zelda > red steel 2, just because nintendo paced their demo out better. there were many times where i thought i was doing a horizontal slash and it wouldn't work though. that stuff bugged me the most.
Were you doing long movements or short flicks? Just curious. (and jealous!)

Anihawk, nothing against him, has had issues with motion controls for a while now. I don't think it's about the game's controls, just more than Anihawk doesn't prefer those.

trinest

AniHawk said:
hold a down to run, but you only have a limited amount of energy. the energy is also tied into other things like climbing. it's actually kinda similar to what shadow of the colossus did
So like Lost in BLues stanima?

AniHawk

Boney said:
Were you doing long movements or short flicks? Just curious. (and jealous!)

i was doing the same motions at the same pace i was doing in wii sports resort a week ago (it plays very, very similar). hell, i finally made it up the volcano in the showdown area.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Anihawk, nothing against him, has had issues with motion controls for a while now. I don't think it's about the game's controls, just more than Anihawk doesn't prefer those.

i don't have issues with motion controls unless they aren't done very well. madworld for instance, is nice. de blob, for instance, is not.

trinest said:
So like Lost in BLues stanima?

I haven't played lost in blue in 5 years. what it is is a circle that depletes the longer you expend extra energy. once it's gone, link has to catch his breath before he moves on. the only things i saw it was being used were running and climbing. there may be more.

Nintendo conference, Zelda fucks up, GAF worries.
Nintendo says it's just interference, GAF says yeah right Nintendo!
People play Zelda on show floor, reassure everyone that it plays great.
GAF is okay.
GAF then complains about the HUD because they can't complain about controls anymore.
Someone reports that the HUD can be turned off.
GAF breathes sigh of relief.
Information about story is revealed, GAF doesn't seem to care.
Anihawk comes in, says controls stink.
GAF sees window of opportunity here, as Anihawk is more reliable than everyone else who played it.
Controls suck again.
Back to square one.

unifin

Another thing to consider is that from watching a couple different people play in hands-on videos, seems like the sword swings get mismatched if the motions are too swift, i.e. faster than something Link could "realistically" perform in an aesthetically normal way.

Like in the GT videos, where the guy swipes like three times in separate directions very quickly. He's Link, not Raphael FFS. I'd like to see that kind of edgeplay in this game, but even as accurate as the sword swipes are, it's still not going to represent your movements exactly if you decide to go all Rambo with it.

Not saying you were, Anihawk, of course. :p

I at least personally trust Chris Kohler's opinion and he says "it felt polished and perfect."

One thing I am worried about with the controls is projectile weapon jiggle. I understand how sensitive the instrument is, but they could at least smooth out the sensitivity a little bit so it doesn't make the whole weapon shake every time you go into first-person mode.

ivysaur12

Banned
I never really had any issues at all with it registering my attack in Wii Sports Resort and most of the videos seemed really responsive. The Stafos looked really cool too, as well as the Deku Babas and boss. I love that they're tailoring the gameplay like this in ways that they couldn't do with just waggle.

EDIT: Oh, the font of the logo's subtitle is ugly as hell. WTF Nintendo.

MisterHero

brandonh83 said:
GAF is okay.
GAF then complains about the HUD because they can't complain about controls anymore.
GAF sees window of opportunity here, as Anihawk is more reliable than everyone else who played it.
Controls suck again.
Back to square one.
I disagree, as I trust Miyamoto more

for example, Miyamoto gets to hold puppies at E3

AniHawk has no puppies

brandonh83 said:
GAF is okay.
Controls suck again.
Back to square one.
Don't be so dramatic.

I'm one of the (two?) that are hesitant because of Ani's experience.

And I'm definitely no Zelda hater, nor do I think his reaction is reason enough to say the controls suck.

Thunder Monkey said:
Don't be so dramatic.

I find that it's hard to joke about something and be dramatic about it at the same time.

At any rate, if there are actually any problems with the controls, you know, it's still in development and won't be out until next year. And considering how much playtesting this thing will get before hitting shelves, I find very little to be concerned about.

AniHawk

here's how the whip works: first you flick the wii remote toward the thing you want the whip to hit. if that thing is stunned or stationary, you have to pull back (like samus's grapple beam in MP3) to pull it toward you or damage an enemy or something. either the damage/pulling should be automatic or the whipping motion should be mapped to a button (i would personally go for the former).

they map an entire button to potions. granted, it's the minus button, but it feels like it's wasted.

DeathbyVolcano said:
Madworld's controls blow :|

Red Steel 2's controls were awesome.

my issue with red steel 2 was more the level design and enemy placement, from the demo i played last year. it had you swinging the sword a LOT.

Tideas

Banned
Anonymous Tipster said:
Yeah, that's exactly what it's saying. Look, I don't want to sit here and endlessly support it, but if that's what you really think, you've got bigger problems.

Is cell-shading a way to get around graphical limitations of a system? Sure, maybe?

Does that make it a bad thing? No.

considering how much cell-shading was used in PS2, yes, it makes it look unimaginative.

Haunted

I'm looking at floor footage right now and it just looks so fucking good, I'm going mental here.

I have complete confidence in EAD Group 3 doing this thing right. They really went with a realistic/cel-shaded mix, that's just... wow.

AniHawk said:
they map an entire button to potions. granted, it's the minus button, but it feels like it's wasted.
Given that enemies seem to do a fair amount of damage in this demo, I wonder if potions might actually become somewhat of a necessity in this game.

brandonh83 said:
I find that it's hard to joke about something and be dramatic about it at the same time.

At any rate, if there are actually any problems with the controls, you know, it's still in development and won't be out until next year. And considering how much playtesting this thing will get before hitting shelves, I find very little to be concerned about.
Sorry I haven't had much sleep in the past... five days?

They're starting to blur together.

BowieZ

Banned
unifin said:
Another thing to consider is that from watching a couple different people play in hands-on videos, seems like the sword swings get mismatched if the motions are too swift, i.e. faster than something Link could "realistically" perform in an aesthetically normal way.

Like in the GT videos, where the guy swipes like three times in separate directions very quickly. He's Link, not Raphael FFS. I'd like to see that kind of edgeplay in this game, but even as accurate as the sword swipes are, it's still not going to represent your movements exactly if you decide to go all Rambo with it.
Maybe they should sell a heavyweight add-on to the remote so it feels like a really heavy sword and prevents unrealistic swift jabs. :lol

unifin

BowieZ said:
Maybe they should sell a heavyweight add-on to the remote so it feels like a really heavy sword and prevents unrealistic swift jabs. :lol

Gamespot preview seems to agree with this idea.

They don't respond to a rapid sequences of quick motions well, so flailing frantically is not the way to go. Rather, it helps to imagine that your remote has a little more weight. If you deliberately move your remote out to the side, then quickly slash to the other side, you'll execute a horizontal swipe. Move it up to the left, then swing back down to the right and you'll do a diagonal slash.

Once you get the hang of properly positioning the remote before your attacks, it's easy to wield the sword the way you want to.

I'm mildly disappointed, but it makes sense. Has to be a maximum attack/second threshold otherwise the truly frenetic would be wrecking bosses in seconds :lol

Branduil

There's plenty of time for them to refine the button layout. I imagine if people are getting confused by the B button issue they'll change it.

loosus

Banned
This is exactly reverse from what I expected. I was expecting shitty graphics but cool, unique gameplay.

Instead, the graphics actually look really good and kind of unique, and the gameplay looks...eh.

I was just hoping Nintendo would deviate more from the formula. You can see already that, despite the updated control scheme, it looks to be another Ocarina of Time+. Probably the biggest disappointment from Nintendo, which is really ironic because a lot of their other stuff really surprised me and blew me away today!

AniHawk

loosus said:
This is exactly reverse from what I expected. I was expecting shitty graphics but cool, unique gameplay.

Instead, the graphics actually look really good and kind of unique, and the gameplay looks...eh.

I was just hoping Nintendo would deviate more from the formula. You can see already that, despite the updated control scheme, it looks to be another Ocarina of Time+. Probably the biggest disappointment from Nintendo, which is really ironic because a lot of their other stuff really surprised me and blew me away today!

i think it's worth noting that we really know nothing of how this game progresses. what was at e3 was really more of a training ground. you check the map and they point out that there's a boss "here" and "here."

SloppehSlawlz

Neo Member
loosus said:

No you can't.

loosus said:
Can someone please explain how SS appears to be strictly adhering to Zelda formula? I've seen this exact same post about 50 times now and no one bothers to elaborate.

It's an entirely new control scheme. How the fuck is that "more of the same?"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
loosus said:

Really? Please tell me where you got all this information about how the game plays, because I cant find it anywhere. Why, all I can find are hands-on previews entirely about the controls and basics of combat. No puzzle solving, dungeons, major boss fights, story, game progression, or anything like that.

But you and heaps of others seem pretty intent to call it "Ocarina of Time +", so I'd really like to know where the info comes from.

Thanks.

BertramCooper said:
Can someone please explain how SS appears to be strictly adhering to Zelda formula? I've seen this exact same post about 50 times now and no one bothers to elaborate.

It's an entirely new control scheme. How the fuck is that "more of the same?"

Because the small demo area = the entire game.
Duh.

Arde5643

Played the game on E3 - fucking game was glorious. Movement, swordplay, everything with the wii motion+ was sex to the power of N.

The only bad thing was the menu - they had a sticking feature to the items when you go to the menu - hopefully they'll fix it to be freeform control.

Fucking games was sex though.

unifin

I agree - a total clone of Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Link is born in a heretofore unmentioned land in the sky, somehow falls to earth and flies around in the air supposedly. Jeez. Add on top of that the direction-sensitive swordplay and inclusion of one brand-new item and one from the most recent DS Zelda game and we have ourselves quite the rehash.

For shame, Nintendo. For shame.

EDIT: Sarcasm aside I wish they'd redesigned Link's model/animations a bit. At the moment he's using for the most part completely recycled TP animations, which I never liked in the first place. Give him bigger boots and add a little oomph to the jumps and sword swings. OOT Link has this weight that's really missing from TP Link.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys, I made a 1080p Zelda wallpaper for anyone who wants it.

Enjoy. Might make another if people want it.

kman3000

loosus said:

I was just hoping Nintendo would deviate more from the formula. You can see already that, despite the updated control scheme, it looks to be another Ocarina of Time+
. Probably the biggest disappointment from Nintendo, which is really ironic because a lot of their other stuff really surprised me and blew me away today!
:lol And how exactly can you tell this from a like a 5 minute demo?

snesfreak

Banned
loosus said:

No, you can't.

Boney

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Controls suck again.
Back to square one.
It's not that they suck, since it's been proven they can work really well. But there's definately an issue if some people can't get it to work correctly.

loosus

Banned
AniHawk said:
i think it's worth noting that we really know nothing of how this game progresses. what was at e3 was really more of a training ground. you check the map and they point out that there's a boss "here" and "here."
That goes without saying. I'm just saying that the fundamentals look extremely similar to the formulaic 3D Zelda's. I didn't even think anybody would disagree with that much. :lol

loosus said:
That goes without saying. I'm just saying that the fundamentals look extremely similar to the formulaic 3D Zelda's. I didn't even think anybody would disagree with that much. :lol
Were you expecting a Zelda FPS or something?

loosus said:

No one really wants the "fundamentals" to change.
We don't want bald space Link and his many guns to go running around shooting stuff.
We want Tunic Link fighting Octorocs and Moblins.

TunaLover

Link model looks more apropiated for a Fire Emblem (CG) kinda enviorement, the enviorements/enemies on this game looks more apropiated for a WindWaker kinda of game, IMO.

Medalion

Banned
We tend to believe negative comments more, they sound objective...whereas any praise is mindless fanboy sucking up to their fave Nintendo franchise.

loosus

Banned
AceBandage said:
No one really wants the "fundamentals" to change.
To each his own. Obviously, I wanted a far bigger shake-up than what we have seen thus far. I hope it changes quite a bit before the release date.

Top Bottom