• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Struggling with combat a bit. How do you beat those red guys? I'll swipe the wiimote according to how they hold their sword (Ex, if they are holding the sword vertically, I'll do an up/down motion), but the guy will just block me. I end up waggling half the time. The best fight I had was with the first
stalfos
in the first dungeon. There, my attacks registered perfectly. Outside that, I must be doing something wrong.

Same with the lizards.
I poke them when they taunt me, but outside that I'm sort of a sitting duck.

The
Girahim (sp?)
battle was somewhat ruined because of this. It was harder than it should have been for me.
For the reds just wave your sword around slowly and as soon as they either lock in a block or ready a swing strike them (to a different direction if they're blocking). They might still suddenly switch their block and succeed but just repeat the process. You don't have to beat them in 3 seconds in order to resort to waggling if they block.

You can use your tools too... Like the slingshot...

Perhaps a successful timed shield block also puts them off balance? I haven't actually had to even try that yet, I always beat them before they get a hit in...

@ others:
Lol @ the notion goat herding and fishing and whatever else you had to do in TP's start is better than exploring your surroundings as you see fit, getting a sword in no time, comletely skipping half the tutorials, entering the first area with enemies, all in less time than that...

Lol @ a button being better. How about a button couldn't even do this game at all? A different game? Sure, go play that different game, nobody forces SS on you and you knew it was motion controlled before you ever tried it, but your gripes aren't fact considering so many people are easily progressing in the game with few if any issues.

And I personally found that the controls are only unreliable when I am mysef, like if I panic during a boss fight or get impatient and start putting less consistent effort into my fighting. I don't see why the game should compensate for that and potentially harm the feel when doing it right. Doing bad has consequences.

My first impressions of the demo were of the most negative too. It just takes a few minutes to get a feel for it, the full game eases you into it better.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not better, but more reliable yes.

A digital button would be 100% reliable. But this game is a case where, like Red Steel II, you couldn't do it without the motion control. Any control scheme that tried to replicate the angled and directional slashes, parries, vulnerable slits, and so on, would have to be overly complicated.

Here, you line the sword up, and snap wrist. That's it... at best, you could try a variation of the Flick It system from Skate. But it still wouldn't be as intuitive as slashing with a sword handle shaped object.

I suppose, it comes down to a battle of values - if you value digital video game reliability above all else, then motion controls won't be worth it. Or, you may value the kind of unique design to the combat system and enemies that this interface enables, and accept that once in a while, a sword slash may go in the wrong direction.

First generation gesture controls and all. In a sense, it's almost sad that Nintendo is backing off with Wii U, and not designing a newer, better Wii Remote system. It means that people will be able to write off motion controls as a failed experiment once and for all. And we likely won't see another game like Skyward Sword. I can't imagine the mainline Zelda for Wii U will use a backwards compatible wiimote from an old console. It'll use the screenpad with those nice, familiar, conventional, analog sticks and buttons.

Disclaimer: i worship all and anything Zelda. I went into media blackout and truthfully know NOTHING outside the 4 hrs i've played thus far. I'm in the first temple.

I have'nt been this bored with any game thus far this year. I do not get the controls, fighting those Piranha plant thingies are a chore instead of an after thought. I unintentionally jump when I do not mean to during combat. I just do not get it.

More importantly, I am bored as all hell. Only one character matters: zelda. In TP, I was greatly respected by a village so much so that when I rescued the kiddos, i was invested in the characters. So far here, in SS, I'm just running and playing hide and go seek with whatever the fuck these things are so i can get into a temple.

I just do not get it.

I have to fly in the overworld, Why? Why does there always have to be a gimmick that differentiates each entry? this is what i hate about nintendo right now. They're more interested in gimmicks than anythin else. Why do i fucking need a bird to get to a forest?

Man, so far, and i hope things change soon andfast, but for anyone who complaing about TPs first three hours...fuck. They shouldn complain after playing this.

So frustrated right now. I'll say it again: nintendo needs to focus whats going on screen not whats goin on in my hand. (heh).

I had the exact same thoughts of you at that point. In a word.. I was finding everything dull. Trust me when I say it improves. I'm confident it will start clicking for you later on. It just takes a while to get there. For me, the 3rd temple was my eureka moment. I've been loving it since. The concepts get better, and you start learning what works and what doesnt with the controls, decreasing the points of friction and irritation.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah please stick with it, once you pass the heavy storyline and tutorial of the Skyloft, once you get to the first dungeon and onwards it is quite a ride

Probably is. I already spent about an hour in that sword training room. Time to spend another hour trying to get some consistency!

That's madness. I spent maybe five minutes in there and didn't need to practice anything more than once. If you're really having trouble consistently reproducing horizontal swipes, for example, something's gotta be fundamentally wrong somewhere.

I won't at all deny that occasionally I'm not swinging the way I want to be swinging, but it's always in parts where I'm getting panicky and spazzy and I'm probably jerking the controller all over the place.

gdt

Forgot to mention I did quite a bit of exploring in Skyloft before going to the second area. LOVE IT. The Wind Waker style small islands was my favorite. So glad it's made a return. The flying controls are excellent, but diving is a little uncomfortable when in a relaxed, seated position.

Same with the bomb rolling.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there really nothing else to the sky aside from the few odds and ends? Skyloft, the pumpkin place, the bamboo minigame, some guy making some fun fun island. It feels really odd that there's so little here. I like the whole idea with the chest blocks on the ground, but between the dungeons I don't feel like there's much going on.

Evlar

Banned
For me the point when the game took a hard turn away from the previous Zelda setup was [first dungeon spoilers]
they give you the Beetle
. That single item does SOOO much to free the player from the usual Zelda-formula constraints of controlled visibility and mobility. Giving that thing to you so early on signaled, from that point forward, the game was going to give you unparalleled access to view your surroundings, explore and interact with things at long-range.
I'm before the 4th dungeon and yes, I'm dimly aware that at least one area going forward restricts item use.

Medalion

Banned
I really enjoy using the flying Beetle, I am getting very good at navigating it

I have a complaint in addition to the slow text we have... I don't want to keep having the item screen tell me every single time I pick up a collectible object, especially if I already have them in my possession... it's like alright I get it, I picked up a Jelly Blob or whatever, stop taking me out of the moment

The Lamp

Is there really nothing else to the sky aside from the few odds and ends? Skyloft, the pumpkin place, the bamboo minigame, some guy making some fun fun island. It feels really odd that there's so little here. I like the whole idea with the chest blocks on the ground, but between the dungeons I don't feel like there's much going on.

I guess that's unfortunately what they were going for, what with the only civilization being Skyloft and the land below the clouds being an unspeakable evil that no one goes to.

Sucks bad. I was hoping for intertwining cities and sidequests like Majora's Mask.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just got Fi (LOVE how you can now get info on NPCs, very nice touch), and so far I like the controls. No major problems from a seated position, although my hands get tired from all the swinging
but no more so compared to a good old fap session
, and I loved just going crazy and whacking that creepy Sheikah Stone.

But dear god, the little skydiving section after the Wing Ceremony took me forever...I can't figure out how you're supposed to adjust the angle properly. Is this a skill I'll need to master?

Oh, and sitting is the best new feature of the game.

Medalion

Banned
Just got Fi (LOVE how you can now get info on NPCs, very nice touch), and so far I like the controls. No major problems from a seated position, although my hands get tired from all the swinging
but no more so compared to a good old fap session
, and I loved just going crazy and whacking that creepy Sheikah Stone.

But dear god, the little skydiving section after the Wing Ceremony took me forever...I can't figure out how you're supposed to adjust the angle properly. Is this a skill I'll need to master?

Hold your wiimote like a paper airplane and guide it with your hand tilt the wiimote with buttons facing up to the ceiling rotate as needed, you don't need to be super good with it beyond the Wing ceremony, the rest is you navigating your bird to specific spots on your map that sometimes if you get close enough you trigger a QTE anyways

I really enjoy using the flying Beetle, I am getting very good at navigating it

I have a complaint in addition to the slow text we have... I don't want to keep having the item screen tell me every single time I pick up a collectible object, especially if I already have them in my possession... it's like alright I get it, I picked up a Jelly Blob or whatever, stop taking me out of the moment

You, and everyone else. It's a universal complaint, and I wouldn't mind shooting the person who made that decision.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Picking up items you already have only gets the descriptions if you've quit the game/turned off the system beforehand. You should only get the description once each play session. Still bad, I guess they thought we'd forget the items between plays, lol, but not as bad at least. Maybe keep the system on until you finish the game, lol.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Final Dungeon?

Really? A room where you need arrows and nothing in the temple drops arrows so I have to leave, go back to shop and buy some to continue....

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Picking up items you already have only gets the descriptions if you've quit the game/turned off the system beforehand. You should only get the description once each play session. Still bad, I guess they thought we'd forget the items between plays, lol, but not as bad at least. Maybe keep the system on until you finish the game, lol.

It's really weird after all the complaints over rupees doing this in TP. They fixed that, but now with the items it still happens and is even worse because it pauses to go to the menu each time.

Branduil

Look, I loved TP, but there is no way that it doesn't have the worst beginning section of any of the Zelda games. Skyward Sword has a lengthy intro but it's a vast improvement over Twilight Princess' for a variety of reasons.

Medalion

Banned
Yeah I mean for goodness sakes, this isn't Mega Man where you are telling me after defeating a boss I get their weapon lol... it's just an amber relic, big deal lol

Smellycat

Just got to the
mining facility
in 12 and a half hours. The
desert
part before that is my favorite part of the game so far.

What the @$&”§¢ regarding Skyloft and Zelda
Are Link and Groose the only ones with feelings? Skyloft residents are lifeless as a rock for $$@&$ sake one of your friend just fell and nobody cares even her father

Anth0ny

Are Link and Groose the only ones with feelings? Skyloft residents are lifeless as a rock for $$@&$ sake one of your friend just fell and nobody cares even her father

what the fuck

But I agree. NPCs ain't doing it for me in this game. And they haven't since Wind Waker, really...

Medalion

Banned
The people of Skyloft have been breathing that thin air for too long

They don't act that concerned for Zelda's well being

And a missing child
in the hands of an unknown adult who looks like a monster doesn't even make their parents that upset

WTF SKYLOFTERS???

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I've reached the eleven hour mark and I'm barely just gonna start the Eldin Volcano region. I'm not feeling the lack of overworld at all due to how much fucking dicking around I can do. And that's a great thing!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just beat dungeon 3.
Their storytelling skills are certainly coming along. Even more then Twilight Princess I really like what they're doing with this game. Well written, not overly wordy, especially the post-dungeon cinematic felt like it was well paced and to the point. As I've said before, I like how so far
Link has no clue whats going on, and other people clearly do
. It gives the story a feeling of size.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, Twilight Princess' opening blows Skyward Sword's out of the water.

Motion+ Goat Herding was a missed opportunity.

Twilight Princess' opening was probably my second favorite opening of the 3D Zeldas, but I like Skyward Sword's more judging by a first playthrough

The people of Skyloft have been breathing that thin air for too long

They don't act that concerned for Zelda's well being

And a missing child
in the hands of an unknown adult who looks like a monster doesn't even make their parents that upset

WTF SKYLOFTERS???

That too,

Clock Town residents are still my favorite since the side quests really brings you closer to each character.

Instro

Anyone else get some gift credit from Amazon btw? Got an email a couple hours ago from them with a promo code for $10. Odd since there was no gift credit advertised as far as I know, and its not being applied in the normal fashion(this one actually requires you to input a code). Was there some sort of lowered price recently or something that caused them to do this?

edit

Ah looks like it was a price match of Best Buy's deal. Sweet.

Mii

Banned
Just finished 6th dungeon, weakest of the bunch by far. The gameplay mechanic introduced is stale and a nuisance. The boss is nothing memorable. Hopefully whatever is left of the game feels more like 3 through 5.

So far:

Best Dungeon: 3rd
Best Boss: 4th
Most Creative: 5th

As for the story
Zelda = Hylia. Demise is an awful name. I'm a little confused as to why Hylia decided she needed to become mortal and reborn. Any help with understanding this? Also if the Triforce in Link's hand isn't really the Triforce, did OOT Link/Zelda/Ganondorf really have a piece of the Triforce?

Now I keep tossing around in my head two ideas on how they approach the frozen Zelda factor. Will this Zelda be saved, and the game go the direction of saying 1) every Zelda is Hylia reborn or 2) if the Hylia Zelda is supposed to be awoken at the end of Adventure of Link after fending off the spirit of Demise (which will undoubtedly be continued within Ganon) for an eternity and that all later Zeldas are named after this maiden..
Don't answer that. Leave me in the dark on that one.

Havent had much time to play this at all so I get back from school today and I love this game.And only beat the first dungeon..and to be fair seriously the "main" complaints people had about it before the masses got it were really nitpicking..people were complaining about shit that really does not affect the game at all. Some of you should be shunned by fi's reveresed goddess auto tuned talkin ass.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone else get some gift credit from Amazon btw? Got an email a couple hours ago from them with a promo code for $10. Odd since there was no gift credit advertised as far as I know, and its not being applied in the normal fashion(this one actually requires you to input a code). Was there some sort of lowered price recently or something that caused them to do this?

edit

Ah looks like it was a price match of Best Buy's deal. Sweet.

Nice. I got the same email. Not sure what I'll get with it, yet.

Bad7667

I don't know where else to post this. Maybe someone can lead me into the right direction on what exactly is causing this issue. I have lines in almost every game I play. Its real bad in PC games but I could never get a picture or video with the lines visible.

Well for some reason in SS I can take a picture and see them pretty good. Here is the picture, if you look at the top they are pretty visible. I've tried 2 different TV's and the same problem.

Zeldalines.jpg

Barely anyone knows about it.
Her father says, if you talk to him, that he's trying not to let anyone know that Zelda is missing and that it would cause widespread panic amongst Skyloft. Her father seems well aware of her and Link's destiny as well. However, why the NPCs(besides Groose and his friends) never notice Zelda is missing and Link keeps dissapearing is beyond me.

Pyrokai

Serious statement: To those of you finding fighting enemies tedious, like the guy complaining about the Deku Babas being a pain to fight rather than something to be over an done with....isn't that exciting? Common enemies are now a threat rather than a passing thing to do as you walk in their path. I've been saying that this feels like I'm learning how to play a video game all over again; I'm getting better as I go and feeling things I haven't since I first started playing 3D video games. It's been very exciting to me, not tedious.

jackdoe

Okay, now I finally figured out a comfortable way to hold the controller that doesn't screw up motion plus controls and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more now. Should be smooth sailing for the most part and I beat the first boss with no troubles at all.

However, one major complaint is the fact that when NPCs speak, their names aren't part of the dialogue box. I did one sidequest and I had no idea who the fuck I was supposed to deliver something to as I didn't associate any names with characters. Luckily, I did a random guess and it was correct but it could become more problematic if they end up having fetch quests for more obscure characters.

Watch Da Birdie

Okay, now I finally figured out a comfortable way to hold the controller that doesn't screw up motion plus controls and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more now. Should be smooth sailing for the most part and I beat the first boss with no troubles at all.

However, one major complaint is the fact that when NPCs speak, they don't give out their names. I did one sidequest and I had no idea who the fuck I was supposed to deliver something to as I didn't associate any names with characters. Luckily, I did a random guess and it was correct but it could become more problematic if they end up having fetch quests for more obscure characters.

Z-Target them and Fi will tell you their names.

Pachinko

Well, my thoughts on this game rapidly improved with the completion of the eldan volcano section of the game. The dungeon was actually interesting, the pre-dungeon area did some neat things and best of all the boss fight at the end was pretty cool.

Question for those a bit further- are you meant to go back to various areas to farm drops to level up your equipment ? Or do you end up going back later on anyway ? I ask because so far the only thing I've had enough crap to upgrade is the wooden shield which proved awful useless in the second dungeon , I bought a metal one instead of course although there's an ornamental skull item I need that I haven't even seen yet.

Finally, I've collected a handful of bugs, does a bug shop open up later? Something I should be doing at night ?

Well, my thoughts on this game rapidly improved with the completion of the eldan volcano section of the game. The dungeon was actually interesting, the pre-dungeon area did some neat things and best of all the boss fight at the end was pretty cool.

Question for those a bit further- are you meant to go back to various areas to farm drops to level up your equipment ? Or do you end up going back later on anyway ? I ask because so far the only thing I've had enough crap to upgrade is the wooden shield which proved awful useless in the second dungeon , I bought a metal one instead of course although there's an ornamental skull item I need that I haven't even seen yet.

Finally, I've collected a handful of bugs, does a bug shop open up later? Something I should be doing at night ?

You shouldn't have to worry about farming, take that as you will. The wooden shield might come in handy later on though, for me it kinda did anyway. Also bugs are used to upgrade potions. You can sell them to certain NPCs as well. I have not came across it yet but I believe there may be a sidequest related to bugs.

Sagitario

I don't know where else to post this. Maybe someone can lead me into the right direction on what exactly is causing this issue. I have lines in almost every game I play. Its real bad in PC games but I could never get a picture or video with the lines visible.

Well for some reason in SS I can take a picture and see them pretty good. Here is the picture, if you look at the top they are pretty visible. I've tried 2 different TV's and the same problem.

Zeldalines.jpg

Vertical lines are pretty normal on GameCube/Wii games.

Pyrokai

I actually just discovered this, but talk to the tall blond guy in Skyloft. He was one of Groose's cronies. You can find him at night in his dormitory. He's also at the Lumpy Pumpkin during the day.

Top Bottom