• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

kiryogi

Banned
God, Ancient Cistern is the motherfucking boss of dungeons in this game
Really? I think my expectations were too high for it. . . As neat as it was.
Its probably the eaisest water temple out of all 3d zeldas.

Seriously, I got there @ 4am and decided to stop since its the
water temple
and its better to start it on a fresh day... totally underwhelmed challengewise.

Serious statement: To those of you finding fighting enemies tedious, like the guy complaining about the Deku Babas being a pain to fight rather than something to be over an done with....isn't that exciting? Common enemies are now a threat rather than a passing thing to do as you walk in their path. I've been saying that this feels like I'm learning how to play a video game all over again; I'm getting better as I go and feeling things I haven't since I first started playing 3D video games. It's been very exciting to me, not tedious.

thats exactly how I feel something brand new reminds me of when I first played an N64 and mario kart.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I... I uh...

I... just simply cannot understand how a person can say the opening hours of Twilight Princess > Skyward Sword....

Subjective opinion I know but... I just... can't understand it.

D-Pad

I... I uh...

I... just simply cannot understand how a person can say the opening hours of Twilight Princess > Skyward Sword....

Subjective opinion I know but... I just... can't understand it.

Herding bulls > chasing that damned golden bird with its sharp last second turns.

The rest of Skyward Sword's "intro" was pretty godly. Second only to Link's Awakening.

Diffense

Got the game Sunday.
The controls took a little bit of getting used to but a lot of that is due to my habits from past Zeldas. I'm not very far in but I'm liking it so far. It does feel like a 'different' Zelda and not just because of the controls. Link's improved agility makes it a lot more fun to just run around and scurry up walls and the sound design also feels quite alien with relatively few remixes showing up so far.

Plus, there is this strange quality about this colorful game that is sort of freaking me out. I'm just past the the first dungeon but it feels like when the bad stuff starts happening in this game it'll be really bad. The sense of foreboding is very thick, right from the first cutscene with Link. It's hard to pinpoint what excatly is unsettling but it's there, in a good way.

I think I'll play a little more now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Reached the
silent realm
, which is basically the team saying 'we needed some padding at this point, so go collect more stuff'.

cajunator

Banned
OK Im in
Skyview Temple
and I like this first dungeon, but the problem is that
giant spider
. I think this is where the problems with motion control come in, specifically the thrust motion. What I think people are struggling with (and myself) is that Link does an overhead slash finishing move instead of a thrust when you need it, so you end up just
knocking the spider back into you
. Its fucking annoying and so far the only thing that has not thrilled me in the game. The dungeon design itself is nothing special but it is a good intro dungeon for people new to the series.

KidOmega

I need some help. I've gotten 9 goddess cubes so far. Collected all 9 treasures...I sliced goddess cube 10 saw it go up to the sky so I head up to get it and nothing. It's not even on my map. I am 100% sure I haven't missed anything. Heard a couple people had this problem. Any solutions?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
OK Im in
Skyview Temple
giant spider
. I think this is where the problems with motion control come in, specifically the thrust motion. What I think people are struggling with (and myself) is that Link does an overhead slash finishing move instead of a thrust when you need it, so you end up just
. Its fucking annoying and so far the only thing that has not thrilled me in the game. The dungeon design itself is nothing special but it is a good intro dungeon for people new to the series.
Don't press A when stabbing.

Neki

sending messages from banned people to the forum is bannable, so you might want to edit that.

just got the game today, wii motion plus makes this game a real treat.

jackdoe

OK Im in
Skyview Temple
giant spider
That was the part which forced me to rethink how I held the controller to get the thrust down. Of course, once you get a specific sub item, it should mostly become moot whether you can thrust or not.

Medalion

Banned
The Skulltula's were interesting for me this time around, they don't spin around for you like in OOT, you gotta make them spin, I liked that nice subtle touch

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I need some help. I've gotten 9 goddess cubes so far. Collected all 9 treasures...I sliced goddess cube 10 saw it go up to the sky so I head up to get it and nothing. It's not even on my map. I am 100% sure I haven't missed anything. Heard a couple people had this problem. Any solutions?

Most probably the treasure that got up is in Skyloft. The treasure in Skyloft cannot be seen on the Sky Map and vice versa.

So far, I think the controls are really great and Nintendo did a good job with M+.

At first, I thought the flying portions were broken until I realized I was doing it wrong! Once I got it right, it's easy.

The backgrounds looking like a impressionist painting when it's far away is brilliant. What a great idea. It uses art to make up for the Wii's graphical limitations. And the game looks really good graphically because of the art style.

I really love the game. Definitely shaping up to be one of my favorite Zeldas.

Just finished 6th dungeon, weakest of the bunch by far. The gameplay mechanic introduced is stale and a nuisance. The boss is nothing memorable. Hopefully whatever is left of the game feels more like 3 through 5.

So far:

Best Dungeon: 3rd
Best Boss: 4th
Most Creative: 5th

As for the story
Zelda = Hylia. Demise is an awful name. I'm a little confused as to why Hylia decided she needed to become mortal and reborn. Any help with understanding this? Also if the Triforce in Link's hand isn't really the Triforce, did OOT Link/Zelda/Ganondorf really have a piece of the Triforce?
My guess although I haven't finished the ge yet is
Hylia couldn't defeat Demise alone so she opened a point in time just after sealing him to try to find the True hero who could defeat him through the power of the old Gods

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't know where else to post this. Maybe someone can lead me into the right direction on what exactly is causing this issue. I have lines in almost every game I play. Its real bad in PC games but I could never get a picture or video with the lines visible.

Well for some reason in SS I can take a picture and see them pretty good. Here is the picture, if you look at the top they are pretty visible. I've tried 2 different TV's and the same problem.

Zeldalines.jpg

I have the exact same problem! Any other games, any other screens, PC, PS3 or Wii, nothing. But Skyward Sword? Up to eleven!

zeldablue

Am I the only one feeling extremely clumsy while playing this game? (I will admit me and my friend are sharing the wiimote and nunchuck simultaneously) But I feel like most of my blunders come from me just screwing up in a pathetic way. My only game over involved stabbing a bomb flower twice and then dying. And anything that involves lava and cliffs is a screw up waiting to happen. That...and I can't get used to using the items.

I wish I could swap the buttons around so that I could pull out items easily. >_<

Someone tell me I'm not alone.

(I will admit me and my friend are sharing the wiimote and nunchuck simultaneously)

And you're the least bit surprised you're having problems?

Having a grasp of throwing and bowling items is pretty much a necessary when you get to the 2nd temple

I was getting used to flipping the controller around in my hand for bowling, until
2nd temple boss made me learn to do it quickly. Now I have to sit up for it to work :/

I have the exact same problem! Any other games, any other screens, PC, PS3 or Wii, nothing. But Skyward Sword? Up to eleven!
Huh that's weird, never had this problem with any Wii/GC games myself either. I thought the problem would be related to LCD display quality and not the console?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man this game is hard to put down. On my way to Faron Woods to get to the 4th Dungeon.

Also, Fi's is not just Capt. Obvious, she's downright stupid.

Fi (while I'm in front of the boss door to go beat the 3rd Boss in the 3rd Dungeon): This huge door is locked on tight. There's is a high probability that something important is behind it.

Me: 1. No freakin shit. 2. IT'S THE 3RD TIME WE SEE THAT KIND OF DOOR! Yet it's the first time you interrupt me to tell me this! Kind of slow to start, are you?

God!

Man this game is hard to put down. On my way to Faron Woods to get to the 4th Dungeon.

Also, Fi's is not just Capt. Obvious, she's downright stupid.

Fi (while I'm in front of the boss door to go beat the 3rd Boss in the 3rd Dungeon): This huge door is locked on tight. There's is a high probability that something important is behind it.

Me: 1. No freakin shit. 2. IT'S THE 3RD TIME WE SEE THAT KIND OF DOOR! Yet it's the first time you interrupt me to tell me this! Kind of slow to start, are you?

God!

What I really love is when she
sings a song
and explicitly says that Zelda has gone to XXX area to do blah blah blah. Then after it ends Fi pops up and says "According to my analysis there is a 95% chance that Zelda has gone to the XXX area. I recomend heading to the area next."

That and when first introduced to bombs, I tested them out and figured out controls. Then I noticed an NPC in the corner and decided to talk to him and see if he has anything useful to say. He asks if I know the controls. I say I do and he responds "Of course you do" and then explains the controls anyway.

Bowling it gets it farther, faster. And he moves pretty far away, depending on where you are.

I actually found it easier to just throw it. No matter what his legs are going to cause the bomb flowers on top to explode. so I just waited at the bottom for him to roll his sorry ass back down the hill and then throw the bomb in.

Quite a feat that Nintendo actually manage to create a companion more annoying than Navi
I honestly think that it must've been intentional. Much like all the other companions they never provide help when you actually need it but she will be sure to chime in when it's obvious. For example BY2K's post or mine. It makes no sense why the designers thought it would be a good idea for some of these ideas. In the end it's hardly a big deal but still.

To add on that just occured to me. Is that if the
timeshift stones aren't activated you can't tell what it looks like
So I could see a player possibly overlooking it. However, chances are pretty slim especially when you have a map and it's the only way to go unless you start backtracking.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I actually found it easier to just throw it. No matter what his legs are going to cause the bomb flowers on top to explode. so I just waited at the bottom for him to roll his sorry ass back down the hill and then throw the bomb in.

Not to mention
you can just wait at the bottom as it climbs up (just walk between the legs) and once he rolls down just evade right/left and presto!

...Speaking of which, it seems like I am the only person in the whole wide world that does not get bothered by Fi.

Love how Fi is so cold like poping out scaring the Kikwi and she never 100% sure lol

Yeah Fi doesn't give a shit. She'll pop out whenever she pleases. She also says some things that may be offensive to some people. For example when she first meets Zelda's father.

...Speaking of which, it seems like I am the only person in the whole wide world that does not get bothered by Fi.
Fi doesn't bother me neccesarily. She's a slight nuissance, once in a while, but I don't know whether to be amused by her trolling the player or to be annoyed. In the long run she pops up and says about 5-10 seconds worth of dialogue, sometimes it's useful sometimes it isn't. Not anything different than Midna or Navi.

Xane

What the @$&”§¢ regarding Skyloft and Zelda
Are Link and Groose the only ones with feelings? Skyloft residents are lifeless as a rock for $$@&$ sake one of your friend just fell and nobody cares even her father

What? One word. Pipit.
After you got the Gust Bellow and cleaned Pipit's house, go there at night...

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
On my way to the seventh dungeon. I spent much less time today playing (obviously less than the 24 hour non-stop first day) because I was busy.

To those having trouble with combat -- keep working on it, because i'm honestly not having any problems. Try slowing down your movement and make sure to keep your left hand still or something. The combat is my favorite part about the game (and that is saying a LOT).

To those wondering about the silent realm -- I legitimately have a lot of fun doing the challenges. I go out of my way to get caught though, and pick routs where I'll get caught, but then can grab a tear really fast to stay safe. I love it, and it's a great gameplay refresher for the game. Keeps things interesting.

Fifth dungeon was a blast, but the boss was a little underwhelming. Sixth dungeon definitely had its moments, but it's not as good as either the third or fourth, which stand as the best the series has ever seen. I did die to its boss though, which I was genuinely surprised by. :D

Just finished probably the worst fetch quest in the game, and yeah... it's kind of bad. Interesting, but not too creative, and not fun. The game even admits that "it's not hard, you just have to stick with it." :\

Amazing game is amazing though. I want it to continue on the level of the third and fourth dungeons though. I'm probably asking for too much, haha.

Red

Played for 3 hours tonight, just got to Faron Woods.

What a fantastic game. Don't want to put it down. But I have to sleep.

I'm off from classes and work for two days. Yes. Yes.

One question though:
Where is the demon Skyloft guy located? I am assuming the K-girl has referred to him as her "special friend," but I haven't been able to find him or her.

Ugh, swimming around late in the game
collecting tadtones in Faron Woods
and TWICE while I was swimming (in a time span of probably less than half an hour), pointing the wii remote forward, just swimming straight, Link decided to start veering off to the right, and the only way to make him go straight again was to point my wii remote left, and the only way to fix this was to recalibrate. This game's controls suck

BY2K

Membero Americo
To add on that just occured to me. Is that if the
timeshift stones aren't activated you can't tell what it looks like
So I could see a player possibly overlooking it. However, chances are pretty slim especially when you have a map and it's the only way to go unless you start backtracking.

But when she did this to me, the dungeon was over, I was done, I had to big key, the door was there, I just had to put the key it.

What? One word. Pipit.
After you got the Gust Bellow and cleaned Pipit's house, go there at night...

Yeah most of the characters do have personality, not just Groose. Peatrice(item check girl) is pretty funny.

But when she did this to me, the dungeon was over, I was done, I had to big key, the door was there, I just had to put the key it.
If the
stone deactivates
all you see is a wire fence and you can't see the door. That's why she probably pops up is what I was saying.

I cant take it. Beat the first dungeon. Most of the way to the second. I quit. I'm actually bored to tears. Maybe I'm just burned out on the zelda formula, but I don't have the willpower to keep playing. This may be the only 3D Zelda I don't finish.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If the
stone deactivates
all you see is a wire fence and you can't see the door. That's why she probably pops up is what I was saying.

Ooooooh, so I was actually ahead of the game, kinda. The devs didn't make a variable event where Fi doesn't come up if I already
restored the door with the timeshift stone

Make sense.

I honestly think that it must've been intentional. Much like all the other companions they never provide help when you actually need it but she will be sure to chime in when it's obvious. For example BY2K's post or mine. It makes no sense why the designers thought it would be a good idea for some of these ideas. In the end it's hardly a big deal but still.
The way I see it Nintendo is desperate to hold on to casuals and beginners of Zelda which are part of the new big wii crowd.
That requires extensive hand-holding and in your face explanations. My own anecdotal evidence is that my girlfriend tried her hand at Wii games during launch with TP being the only 'hardcore' game. She reached the Goron mines, but holy shit did she have a hard time beating the forest temple. Things that would be second nature to me would hold her back for hours (oh I needed to light up a torch? etc.).

The problem with all this hand-holding of course is that it happens at the expense of the veteran Zelda players. If only Nintendo would includ more options or a dynamic hint system.

It is a minor deal yeah, but since it's there in your face for such a long time I feel that it grows larger, and what Jarosh described how some puzzles are pretty much spoiled is unforgiveable in game design.

Sober

First generation gesture controls and all. In a sense, it's almost sad that Nintendo is backing off with Wii U, and not designing a newer, better Wii Remote system. It means that people will be able to write off motion controls as a failed experiment once and for all. And we likely won't see another game like Skyward Sword. I can't imagine the mainline Zelda for Wii U will use a backwards compatible wiimote from an old console. It'll use the screenpad with those nice, familiar, conventional, analog sticks and buttons.

I wish Nintendo would just do full dual-analog already. I'm sure you could emulate some of the sword combat in SS like in Dead Island analog melee combat style. Not graceful but is better than nothing.

Fi is dumb
Yeah, boss door in dungeon 3 is not the best time to tell me something bad is behind it. Or when I'm looking for something and she chimes in, "hey your health is low DRINK A POTION MAYBE?"

Speaking of dungeon 3, just finished it and that is one great dungeon. The boss was kinda too by-the-books but fun nonetheless. In fact, everything involving the 3rd dungeon was awesome. The lead-up, the dungeon itself and the cutscene after was pretty cool too.

Did they remove the floor structure of the maps? I haven't noticed if they have divided the map into multiple floors or merged them all into one. I know they pretty much got rid of the compass though, just folded it into the treasure map.

watershed

Banned
This game continues to exceed my expectations. Today I beat the 3rd dungeon and everything that follows that was amazing. I loved
Ghirahim going off on Impa, flying into the Thunderhead, and discovering the lake.
Groose is the only character I don't like although his cutscenes are very well done. The sidequests are a lot funner than I expected after some reviews and posters seemed to be very critical of them. I like learning more about Skyloft's residents and the little things that are going on in town while Link is out adventuring.

Gummb

Ugh, swimming around late in the game
collecting tadtones in Faron Woods
and TWICE while I was swimming (in a time span of probably less than half an hour), pointing the wii remote forward, just swimming straight, Link decided to start veering off to the right, and the only way to make him go straight again was to point my wii remote left, and the only way to fix this was to recalibrate. This game's controls suck

You must be bad, because I'm not having any issues.

Fugu

Just completed the first dungeon. So very, very torn on the motion controls. I actually think they work quite well for combat (1st dungeon spoiler:
After I figured out what to do with the skullata I appreciated them a lot more
) but are frequently a burden for most other things (Why can you not aim projectiles with Z-targeting anymore?). I'm having a lot of trouble getting things to move down, and I'm frequently having to center the Wiimote. I'm sort of playing in a cramped place but there's nothing I can do about that.

Had to put the game down after giving up on a certain
heart piece
that I can't get in the first dungeon. I'm fairly convinced that I'm trying to get something that's not quite available to me yet due to the peculiar way that it's presented, so I'm moving past it for now. Still great stuff though, I have no shortage of enthusiasm for what's to come.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Speaking of dungeon 3, just finished it and that is one great dungeon. The boss was kinda too by-the-books but fun nonetheless. In fact, everything involving the 3rd dungeon was awesome. The lead-up, the dungeon itself and the cutscene after was pretty cool too.

Yes! Loved that cutscene, Ghirahim is so over the top it's amazing.
I need a screenshot of that "COME AT ME, BRO" pose he does in that cutscene.

Which reminds me, Groose is the best character in this game, period. No contest.

Red

The only time I've had control issues so far was during the initial skysail sequence, where you're supposed to land in that bulls-eye. Tried like 10 times before I got it, because Link kept flying all over the place.

Besides that, controls have been perfect.

No, I'm not bad. If I'm not moving my Wii remote in any direction, Link shouldn't suddenly start going left or right, but he did.
I also shouldn't have to point my Wii remote over to the left to make Link go straight. The direction Link moves in while swimming hardly has anything to do with skill anyway, you clearly didn't read what I said.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game continues to exceed my expectations. Today I beat the 3rd dungeon and everything that follows that was amazing. I loved
Ghirahim going off on Impa, flying into the Thunderhead, and discovering the lake.
Groose is the only character I don't like although his cutscenes are very well done. The sidequests are a lot funner than I expected after some reviews and posters seemed to be very critical of them. I like learning more about Skyloft's residents and the little things that are going on in town while Link is out adventuring.
I couldn't play yesterday so I'm still at the exact same place as you. Just discovered the swimming ability and it felt very good, can't wait for more.

Gummb

Yes! Loved that cutscene, Ghirahim is so over the top it's amazing.
I need a screenshot of that "COME AT ME, BRO" pose he does in that cutscene.

Which reminds me, Groose is the best character in this game, period. No contest.

Agreed. Like. +1. etc.

Top Bottom