• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword |OT| Home of Punkin' Chunkin' Champion 2011

Anth0ny

Does anyone on GAF know how to make Ocarina codes? I want to play through the game again, but I'd have a hard time unless there were codes made to:

-speed up the text. by a lot.
-Fi never speaks
-skip cutscenes/text

and, personal preference:

-control swimming with the analog stick

Shit would make the game 15x more enjoyable.

Does anyone on GAF know how to make Ocarina codes? I want ot play through the game again, but I'd have a hard time unless there were codes made to:

-speed up the text. by a lot.
-Fi never speaks
-skip cutscenes/text

and, personal preference:

-control swimming with the analog stick

Shit would make the game 15x more enjoyable.

add some warps and no flapping for the bird

whoa strawman actually has utility, we can't abandon that

but a good 99% of the internet who uses the term "strawman" has no idea how to utilize it, to the point where its just a meanginless term now, just like how everything semi-realistic is now appealing to "dudebros".

edit: dat double post fail

duckroll

I have a curious question. How long do batteries in your Wiimotes last while playing Skyward Sword? I've had to change batteries ever 14-17 hours so far with the game. Is this normal? Seems like it drains much quicker than other games...

I have a curious question. How long do batteries in your Wiimotes last while playing Skyward Sword? I've had to change batteries ever 14-17 hours so far with the game. Is this normal? Seems like it drains much quicker than other games...

I have the same problem but I figured it was Motion+ related, since I've never used one before.

Ganondorfo

Oh damn that quest in faron woods
finding the musical notes
was so tedious.

But I liked the originality in the
volcano dungeon, where you need to find all your items again, that was very original from nintendo

The best dungeon in this game is still for me the
sandship
dont click on this spoiler, if you are not far in the game.

Probably best dungeon ever I played in a zelda game, mostly for setting and originality and epic boss fight.

Amir0x

Banned
but a good 99% of the internet who uses the term "strawman" has no idea how to utilize it, to the point where its just a meanginless term now, just like how everything semi-realistic is now appealing to "dudebros".

edit: dat double post fail

Just like 99% of the internet doesn't know how to use the word 'troll'. But we don't abandon the words because of retards! We just use them the right way and mock their lack of intelligence!

The first time I played Skyward Sword it went something like 22 hours without having to be changed. It blew my mind considering that is far and away the most time I ever got with a battery controller. Afterwards, any battery I used lasted like 8 hours, I had to change twice more over the course of Skyward Sword.

RagnarokX

To me the funniest thing Fi has said was when returned to
Eldin for the 6th dungeon and she commented that we were in a volcano and she was 90% certain the 3rd flame would be there and that I should look for flames.

watershed

Banned

I only changed batteries once and I just finished the game at around 45 hours.

For those having trouble swimming, the best way I found to visualize it is that the remote in 3D space is basically Link. He'll tilt and twist the way you do.

duckroll

The first time I played Skyward Sword it went something like 22 hours without having to be changed. It blew my mind considering that is far and away the most time I ever got with a battery controller. Afterwards, any battery I used lasted like 8 hours, I had to change twice more over the course of Skyward Sword.

That's interesting. I had fresh batteries when I started, and it lasted about 17 hours of play. I'm 31 hours into the game now, and it's blinking red again, so I'll have to change a second time. I wonder what affects how long a pair of batteries last for the game...

To me the funniest thing Fi has said was when returned to
Eldin for the 6th dungeon and she commented that we were in a volcano and she was 90% certain the 3rd flame would be there and that I should look for flames.

I was getting rather annoyed at her during the fifth dungeon when she almost redeemed herself when
the boat suddenly gets ripped apart and tentacles are coming through the floor and walls and she says "there's a 95% chance that the ship is under attack."

That and if (pre-dungeon 1)
you respond to the fact that Kikwi is registering as a positive for the Zelda-dowsing with "Zelda?" she'll say "No, I don't think it's Zelda. It's a Kikwi. Very low probability of being Zelda."

For those having trouble swimming, the best way I found to visualize it is that the remote in 3D space is basically Link. He'll tilt and twist the way you do.

This is exactly what I did. Maybe it's just WSR experience there, because I never had any problems with making my bird or swimming Link go exactly where I wanted him to.

Amir0x

Banned
That's interesting. I had fresh batteries when I started, and it lasted about 17 hours of play. I'm 31 hours into the game now, and it's blinking red again, so I'll have to change a second time. I wonder what affects how long a pair of batteries last for the game...

Also it's worth noting I was using the motion+ remote packed in with Skyward Sword and the batteries that came with it. I don't know if that makes any difference

Red

I don't know why it is, and it's especially weird because I'd think the m+ is located in the base of the wiimote (similarly to how the m+ dongle plugs into the bottom), but the game appears to read movements with the top of the remote better than movements from the bottom. Like playing the instrument or flapping while flying, works better when you just move the far end.

I haven't had any trouble with the twisting motion like for flying. Always works exactly as I want it to. The only time I've had trouble is with swaying motions, like when diving, but I think I've got the hang of it now (and am not sure what I was doing wrong in the first place).

ASIS

... Guys, the "Zelda cycle" post was a joke :(.

Not that I say it doesn't exist, it does, but it's not exactly magical or people are just hypocrites. But I don't want to get in to that.
I was getting rather annoyed at her during the fifth dungeon when she almost redeemed herself when
the boat suddenly gets ripped apart and tentacles are coming through the floor and walls and she says "there's a 95% chance that the ship is under attack."

That and if (pre-dungeon 1)
you respond to the fact that Kikwi is registering as a positive for the Zelda-dowsing with "Zelda?" she'll say "No, I don't think it's Zelda. It's a Kikwi. Very low probability of being Zelda."

Some of her comments did make me laugh. But on my second play through i can understand why people can get annoyed by her, especially if they don't like her sense of humor.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm 28 hours into the game on the same set of batteries. I've had the one bar notification since the 4th dungeon, I'm on the 6th now...Fi will not shut up about them.

Amir0x

Banned
swimming sucks because there is no 180 button and turning is fucking tank like (yes, even using the analog stick to modify Link's motion) particularly coupled with the abysmal camera.

duckroll

I'm 28 hours into the game on the same set of batteries. I've had the one bar notification since the 4th dungeon, I'm on the 6th now...Fi will not shut up about them.

Oh, maybe that's my problem. Once I get the one bar notification, I change batteries because it's too annoying. So the batteries aren't actually dead, just low, and the game starts to annoy me about it. >_<

swimming sucks because there is no 180 button and turning is fucking tank like (yes, even using the analog stick to modify Link's motion) particularly coupled with the abysmal camera.

Yeah I think the lack of a quick turn makes swimming more of a hassle than it should be. The actual swimming controls are fine, and I don't have any problems, but if I miss something and need to turn around, it becomes loooooooool.

I finished the game this morning. Here are my scattershot impressions:

Good

1. Graphics = They found an attractive balance between TP and WW. I liked the bright colors and cartoony character designs. If it wasn’t as charming as Wind Waker, well, it was still a direction I would accept for the series going forward.

I was less pleased by the comparative lack of variety in environments and enemy designs.

Fine

1. Music = It wasn’t bad. I enjoyed the live instruments and some of the dungeon tracks, but I was disappointed that there wasn’t a single catchy tune. And (end game spoiler)
whose decision was it not to play the triforce theme when the triforce appeared?

2. Dungeons = I liked most of the dungeons, but I can’t remember more than a handful of rooms or puzzles. Among the 3D Zeldas, I’d rate them above Wind Waker’s but below OoT and TP, so probably right around MM’s level.

3. Sidequests = What’s in the game was pretty good. Batreaux was one of the more likeable characters. The problem is that Majora’s Mask was a decade ago, and while other games in the adventure and RPG genres have pushed ahead, Zelda has stagnated. SS didn’t even have multi-stage quests like a trading sequence or WW’s pictograph quest.

Mixed

1. Items = I think Nintendo did a good job of keeping the items in use throughout the game. A few of the bosses (though not nearly enough) were even susceptible to multiple items. But I do have a few complaints. (item spoilers)
First, why the fuck do I have a slingshot and a bow again? Second, the whip and gust jar each have limited uses that can barely be justify them as dungeon items Third, the clawshot was underutilized in combat.

But the beetle was sweet.

2. Combat = It was neat at first to wave Link's sword around and use an arm motion for the angle of attack, but the end result actually felt more limited than Twilight Princess's move set. There, I could still select my basic attacks (thrust, horizontal swipe, vertical slash, jump attack, etc.) plus use a lot of special inputs and contextual cues for a more engaging version of the same, light combat style we'd had since OoT. SS is a little more original, but also a little less precise. Maybe I would have felt better about the combat if more boss fights had taken advantage of deflections, angled skyward strikes, etc.

3. Overworld = First the good points. I’m glad Nintendo decided to experiment with the overworld structure. I was impressed by how they managed to layer the forest environment, and Nintendo was smart to add more warp points for this one.

But this was not the right direction for the series going forward. The overworld was so linear and disconnected that backtracking felt like more of a chore than a pleasure. Making the overworld more dungeon-like may have seemed like a good idea, but it turns out that the distinction between overworld and dungeons was an important one – it gave the player a mental break and invited different kinds of exploration and NPC interaction. I suspect the relationship between the regions was also partially at fault. Ideally, accessing a new area is like the point in Majora’s Mask when you get Epona and race south to jump the fence to the beach. It’s seamless. In Skyward Sword that same action involves warping to the sky, flying for a few minutes, and crash landing next to an area that’s highlighted on the map. The differences may be largely cosmetic, but the two feel worlds apart.

Flying was only fun when you were close to islands or you were skydiving. Otherwise it was less compelling than riding Epona or the King of Red Lions.

I hope future Zeldas return to the standard overworld structure but compress it and add more NPCs - friendly and hostile - with whom you can interact.

Bad

1. Upgrades = This one took me by surprise. I expected to love the opportunity to upgrade my weapons at the bazaar, but it turns out that collecting all kinds of random shit is a less exciting way to obtain upgrades than (a) winning mini-games, (b) completing sidequests, or (c) locating secret areas.

I’m also frustrated that the game so often cuts to the menu when you pick up treasure. Nintendo has to keep those updates on the screen so I can keep playing.

2. Controls = This was the first Zelda game I ever played where the controls were an issue. Even the basic way of using an item – B to set and A to use – was awkward. I accidentally canceled or re-equipped an item many times during the game.

The motion controls were more a minus than a plus in this game. There were a few fun uses of motion (arrows, skydiving, beetle), but there were a whole lot more bad ones (swimming, keys, bombs, etc.). I guess my sense is that the added burdens of these motion controls (slower and less precise in some inputs) did not pay off in a markedly more entertaining way of interacting with the world.

3. Story = Zelda games rarely have good stories, but this one was particularly dull. (full game spoilers)
For the first eight hours it would have been better to follow Zelda than Link. Ghirahim looked like someone had antiqued Prince, and his campy dialogue couldn’t spice up uninteresting motives and actions. The Imprisoned was more silly than threatening. Fi was probably the worst character in a Nintendo game, and I’m not sure why Nintendo thought I would care about what happened to her (or Impa) at the end. The structure was a mess too. By the time the water dragon asked me to fetch some tadtones for her, the game was beginning to resemble a Bavarian cream pie joke. Every single element returned three times. No matter how stupid.

Bad

1. Tutorial = Worse than TP. Nintendo seems to have reached a point where they will not trust me to figure anything out on my own. In OoT, the "tutorial" NPCs mostly did nothing until you interacted with them. You could make it to the Deku tree in a couple of minutes. In SS, you click through endless text boxes as the game spoon feeds you each action. It's a monumental pain - and just as with Twilight Princess, it's going to keep me from ever wanting to replay the game.

2. Fi = I sat through nearly two hours of tutorial, and just when I thought it was over this robo-spirit guide dropped down and determined never to let me walk five steps without recapitulating information that was already clear from the circumstances or another NPC's speech. My perception may be skewed by decades of Zelda-playing, but I would estimate that Fi spoiled 75% of the game’s puzzles. Unsolicited. The craziest part is that Nintendo included multiple hint systems for beginners to use if necessary. Shouldn’t that free the rest of us to figure out on our own that (mid-game spoiler)
the generator key sequence might be related to the geographical positions of the sub-generators? If I were assigning a point value to SS, Fi would have taken off a whole point.

Overall
This was the worst console Zelda since Adventure of Link. I don’t want to minimize the good aspects of Skyward Sword (it’s still Zelda after all), but with five years between console games even a minor disappointment can be a pretty big bummer.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh, maybe that's my problem. Once I get the one bar notification, I change batteries because it's too annoying. So the batteries aren't actually dead, just low, and the game starts to annoy me about it. >_<

also volume on the wiimote effects battery duration (i always try to turn mine off). The wiimote speaker is too awful for use.

snesfreak

Banned
I'm starting to think folks like to complain a lot...
DING DING DING DING!
We have a winner!
edit: Can't believe I got banned for this post, yet butter_stick tells me to fuck off in this post and has absolutely nothing done to him.
I wasn't responding to that long post above, simply agreeing with a TRUTHFUL statement that people like to complain.
And amir0x, the irony of YOU of all people calling anyone out on how they respond to "honest opinions" is delicious.

Amir0x

Banned
someone writes up a long and extremely engaging dissection of a game he has played and the response is 'people like to complain a lot' and 'DING DING DING, u r so rite what a complainer'

jesus do you people hear yourselves? this is his honest, well layered opinion that is EXTREMELY well supported by his experience and his post. That is NOT whining.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm one of the audible haters of Twilight Princess.

I started playing SS yesterday (on my brother's Wii) and holy shit am I enjoying this game. I'm halfway through the second dungeon and I am considering buying my own Wii and a copy of the game so I can continue playing when I head back to my apartment.

edit: I read the non-spoilered sections of decoyplatypus' post and find that I agree with most of it. Somehow, though, this game just feels good to me. Leaving the extended tutorial in SS I felt like I was beginning an adventure and not being forced to listen to a dirge (like I felt in TP)

MechaX

On the overworld and most non-dungeon areas so far, coming from pretty much every Metroid title ever, this kind of exploration hasn't been that bad so far.

RagnarokX

Using the stick to turn around works fine. Press backwards and press Z. Viola, you've turned around. Swimming is fine.

I am not sure anyone likes to complain, but it is often easier to explain why you dislike something than why you do.

Not to say he did like it and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but as a general rule, things often come off more negative than one would like them to be because those things are easier to articulate.

Anth0ny

Overall
This was the worst console Zelda since Adventure of Link. I don&#8217;t want to minimize the good aspects of Skyward Sword (it&#8217;s still Zelda after all), but with five years between console games even a minor disappointment can be a pretty big bummer.

Agreed with your post until I read this.

Zelda II is amazing, and from reading your post, it sounds exactly like the Zelda game you want to play :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Using the stick to turn around works fine. Press backwards and press Z. Viola, you've turned around. Swimming is fine.

The swimming feels like it's meant to be fast paced, it's just begging for a quick 180 spin on top of the spin attack. It's not hard to turn around, but it puts you at a complete deadstop, and if you need to turn something that is more to your side, you have to slowly turn and Z target a few times to line it up.

Oh, and having the input for the quick spin being to move the wiimote and the nunchuck, when the wiimote is what's actually directing link, is extremely awkward. It's another case Nintendo could have just provided options to please everybody, but decided to force everyone to use the less optimal wiimote aiming to direct link underwater.

I am not sure anyone likes to complain, but it is often easier to explain why you dislike something than why you do.

Not to say he did like it and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but as a general rule, things often come off more negative than one would like them to be because those things are easier to articulate.

Yeah, I feel like most of my posts in here are negative, but I really do enjoy the game. It's frustrating that all of the issues I have are all EASILY remedied.

AniHawk

just curious, what did everyone set their hud to? i have this suspicion that fi ruining puzzles might be related to the hud settings but i'm not sure. i've had it set to pro since the start and she hasn't bothered me for the majority of the game. and i mean, not in the third or fourth dungeons at all which some people have had this happen.

it's really weird. i wonder why it's happening for some people, but not for me.

DavidDayton
Banned
(Today, 08:25 PM)

BertramCooper
Banned
(Today, 08:26 PM)

snesfreak
Banned
(Today, 08:28 PM)

I believe we call this a...

*puts on shades*

DUCKROLL

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHoh god please don't ban me

just curious, what did everyone set their hud to? i have this suspicion that fi ruining puzzles might be related to the hud settings but i'm not sure. i've had it set to pro since the start and she hasn't bothered me for the majority of the game. and i mean, not in the third or fourth dungeons at all which some people have had this happen.

Pro and she doesn't really bother me. Most of the times I'm annoyed by her are scripted, non-puzzle interruptions.

Amir0x

Banned

i set it to pro almost immediately. fuck the beginner hud is one of the worst designed things in world history. she bothered me all the fucking time. nag nag nag fucking nag

All three of you can GTFO if you have nothing actually worthwhile to contribute. Bye. :)

brofist

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I've got it on pro as well. Fourth dungeon and the only time Fi has ruined anything for me was the pre-dungeon 3 puzzle with the
rotating clock hands thing

Mistle

Just realised that you have to talk to the save statues to activate them on the map... Wish i figured this out earlier lol.

Anyway, just entered the 3rd dungeon. Havent started it yet. But now I realise how Fi can ruin puzzles (how to enter 3rd dungeon). First time it's happened though so she hasn't been a bother to me apart from that.
The music is this game has consistantly been brilliant.

The swimming feels like it's meant to be fast paced, it's just begging for a quick 180 spin on top of the spin attack. It's not hard to turn around, but it puts you at a complete deadstop, and if you need to turn something that is more to your side, you have to slowly turn and Z target a few times to line it up.

Oh, and having the input for the quick spin being to move the wiimote and the nunchuck, when the wiimote is what's actually directing link, is extremely awkward. It's another case Nintendo could have just provided options to please everybody, but decided to force everyone to use the less optimal wiimote aiming to direct link underwater.

You just shake the Nunchuk, not the Wiimote too.

watershed

Banned

Pro all the way and as I said earlier Fi never ruined a puzzle for me. She doesn't say anything useful enough to ruin any puzzle. She only ever told me what I already knew/figured out before she spoke.

jarosh

i disagree. i have written a long and fairly critical post about ss in this thread too, but i have written just as passionately and in as much detail about the games i love. there's no logical reason to assume that someone should only be capable of the former.

Top Bottom