• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

mybodyisreadyyuukow6osz.gif

Yeeeeees!

The last Zelda game I've actually enjoyed and found great value in is getting an update.

I will be purchasing this without question, of course.

btkadams

i will definitely buy it, but it looks less cel-shaded than before...feels like it lost a lot of its charm. i can't watch the video since i'm at work, but hopefully it looks better in motion.

Appleman

This looks fantastic, hopefully they keep doing these. I would lose my shit if they gave Sunshine or Metroid Prime the same treatment

nasos_333

Vignetting, bad SSAO. WW Nextgen indeed :p

Will continue to enjoy in Dolphin, myself.

Indeed, the Dolphin version looks way better, mainly because it keeps the original art intect while adding all the extra crispner and detail/smoothness

This new one seems like a bad joke visually TBH, all the bloom and changed art/colors, plus the rendered look that destroys the original cartoon style

Dont like it at all

Hypatia

You lazy assholes Nintendo. That sign texture is clearly just a low res texture gone through a photoshop filter

Also eww they look 3D

Where's my cel shading? .______.

And they don't even have appeared to updated the actual level mesh, just the dynamic meshes.

Also too much bloom.

Having said all that I hope Zelda U goes with this style. It doesn't suit WW but it could look great used in it's own game.

Are they fixing the incredibly tedious Tri-Force hunt at the end of the game?

People seem to forget how bad that was...

They said they wanna update more than the graphics, no? And Aonuma is very well aware everyone hated that part. Just like the water temple, which they also fixed in OoT 3D.

Duffyside

Banned
I'm surprisingly numb to this announcement... if not a little worse.

Wind Waker already looks amazing, still. Why put it in HD? From the screens, I can't honestly say it looks better than the original version. In a way, it looks worse, as it doesn't have as much charm to me.

Hopefully the "remake" addresses some of the issues with the gameplay at least. And this is yet another time I'm upset that Nintendo doesn't have some sort of achievement system, even if just for social purposes.

Hypatia

At least it will have more than one light source per map I suppose. I'll definitely be getting it because it's Zelda and it's Wind Waker but it sucks that they changed the art style so much :/

Zeldana

Neo Member
This is great, i hope the do the same thing with METROID PRIME 1 !!
If not, then maybe F-Zero GX. Looks like we won't be getting a proper sequel anytime soon so that's the least they could do. /wishful thinking

Galaxy-esque HD WW looks great! It'll give me an excuse to wait a little longer to play it since I've been thinking about firing up the GCN version again recently.

mattp

looks sterile and lifeless without the cel shading

its a subtle change, but it's ultimate a huge difference

Revven

I, along with everybody else, hope they address the triforce fetch quest AND also give us more content at the same time.

I'm reserving judgement on the visuals until they are further along in development. These look really early to me. Link's eyes are all grainy in one of the higher res images... which is like a no-no for a final build lol.

But yeah, THIS IS how you do an HD Remastering. Actually try to improve the graphics with the new technology rather than just upres'ing the game.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
My favourite game of all time in beautiful HD, with an upgraded game play experience? Iwata,
tumblr_mgn2tflkrx1rdzketo1_250.gif

What a weird thing to do to such a highly stylized art style. Still looks great, but... why not just make it HD? Why fuck with the art?

Haunted

I'm surprisingly numb to this announcement... if not a little worse.

Wind Waker already looks amazing, still. Why put it in HD? From the screens, I can't honestly say it looks better than the original version. In a way, it looks worse, as it doesn't have as much charm to me.

Hopefully the "remake" addresses some of the issues with the gameplay at least. And this is yet another time I'm upset that Nintendo doesn't have some sort of achievement system, even if just for social purposes.
It's not as big of an upgrade compared to Dolphin shots, yeah.

I imagine someone who only knows the GC game would be much more impressed with this graphical update.

XPE

Was never the biggest fan of WW but I like the new look.

Also the BEST thing about this is that the new Zelda game should be like the Demo from E3 as I doubt them would release 2 Zelda games with the same art style so close to each other!

Crub

Classic Zelda reactions:

*Game is announced*

"HOLY SHIT FUCK, OH MY GOD DAY ONE FOR SURE, OH MY GOD HHHNNNGGG!!"

*Later that day*

"Yeah, it seems pretty bland compared to the last game. That one was a timeless classic, for sure. I wish they remained true to their origins, but oh well. It's a Zelda game, so I'll give in, I guess..."

Going back to the announcement of that last Zelda game in question:

*Game is announced*

"HOLY SHIT FUCK, OH MY GOD DAY ONE FOR SURE, OH MY GOD HHHNNNGGG!!"

*Later that day*

"Yeah, it seems pretty bland compared to the last game. That one was a timeless classic, for sure. I wish they remained true to their origins, but oh well. It's a Zelda game, so I'll give in, I guess..."

Many people, myself included, still dislike Twilight Princess. I think the same thing will hold true for Skyward Sword in a few years.

Brera

Banned
It looks awesome!

Yet they haven't confirmed how they'll be tuning it up.

As it stands, TWW is merely a demo when it comes to Zelda games...only a handful of dungeons of shity quality does not a good game make!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Pointing out that the bloom looks bad is now being bitter

The bloom is too overwhelming and detracts from the rest. Looks good, but to me the skyboxes definitely look worse the way they do now. Hope they put in new content like those scrapped dungeons and find a way to fix the drudgery that is the Triforce quest near endgame.

Hypatia

Pointing out that the bloom looks bad is now being bitter

If I sound bitter I don't really care. Wind Waker is one of my favourite games of all time and it deserves the best remake in the world.

Not a remake that throws out it's unique art style in favour of fancier shading techniques.

ChaosXVI

I've never played a Zelda before, but I may have to give this one a try, perhaps...

However, an HD rerelease that would make me buy a Wii U in a heartbeat is Metroid Prime Trilogy HD...I would sell my kidneys for it.

Many people, myself included, still dislike Twilight Princess. I think the same thing will hold true for Skyward Sword in a few years.

I dislike WW to this day but I adore TP. Beautiful sprawling overworld and great atmosphere. I also very much disliked SS.

Duffyside

Banned
It's not as big of an upgrade compared to Dolphin shots, yeah.

I imagine someone who only knows the GC game would be much more impressed with this graphical update.

I don't know, man. I'm not sure I like the way this "looks" even as much as the Gamecube original. Polygon counts aren't everything. Neither is bloom, as much as Nintendo seems to want to make that not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom